Start by marking “Gone Girl” as Want to Read:
read excerpt* *Different edition

Gone Girl

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  698,643 ratings  ·  88,700 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
What are you thinking, Amy? The question I've asked most often during our marriage, if not out loud, if not to the person who could answer. I suppose these questions stormcloud over every marriage: What are you thinking? How are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?

Just how well can you ever know the person you love? This is the questi...more
Published May 24th 2012 by Phoenix (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gone Girl, please sign up.

Jana Teens hear swearing at school everyday. Reading about someone who swears isn't going to have a profound effect on them. If it bothers you then talk to…moreTeens hear swearing at school everyday. Reading about someone who swears isn't going to have a profound effect on them. If it bothers you then talk to your child about it. Discuss your feelings/fears on the subject and if you still aren't happy then choose another book.

(less)
Anam I agree. Although it was sick and twisted in its own way, it was slightly more palatable than the other two books by Ms. Flynn. Sharp objects and Dark…moreI agree. Although it was sick and twisted in its own way, it was slightly more palatable than the other two books by Ms. Flynn. Sharp objects and Dark places were disturbing on a whole other level.(less)

Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

I am giving Gone Girl 3 stars, but only begrudgingly. In my mind, any book that takes me 3 months and 20 different tries to read is not worth 3 (i-liked-it on Goodreads) stars, especially a book written by an author I already respect. And I am not kidding, for me the first half of Gone Girl was a PURE TORTURE to read.

Amy Dunn disappears on the day of her 5th wedding anniversary. All gradually uncovered evidence suggests that her husband, Nick, is somehow involved. Did...more
Liz
Elizabeth
Oh, COME ON.

Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE ) loves this hateful book? Kind of makes me weep for the future. It's not even all that clever. It must be the depravity of it all. Suckers.

AND, If I ever read the words *fucking bitch* again it will be too soon.
Lisa B.
This book was just way too much fun – and I mean that in a good way. I’m taking a leisurely drive down the garden path of the story, when BAM – right in the middle it makes a u-turn and we are on the damn highway doing 90 miles an hour (commonly referred to as a plot twist). Sweet Mother of Mercy!

There is not much to say without the risk of giving up some detail that’s best left secret. Soooo many time I wanted to just take one little peek at the end to see what happens to Nick and Amy. But I di...more
Nicholas Sparks
Quite simply, this is one of the best novels of the year. It's a thriller in the best tradition of Alfred Hitchcock and layered with brilliantly written characters; it's the kind of book that's nearly impossible to put down. The surprises and twists keep the reader guessing up until the final page, and my first thought upon finishing the novel was that I wanted to read it a second time.
Stephanie Sun
I'm pretty selective about new releases, but Gone Girl's opening (about a man studying his wife's skull in bed) and unique alternating POV structure promised a kind of He Said, She Said Crimes and Misdemeanors, a The Secret History with a sense of humor. I did really like the structure, along with some of the zingers, and some of the saucier images, but that's about it.

From the Kushner epigraph to the name checking of Noel Coward on page 68 to the use of Pygmalion as a verb 20 pages after that (...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
***MORE MOVIE NEWS*** Gossipy sources say that Neil Patrick Harris will play Amy's creepy ex, Desi, and Tyler Perry will play Ben Affleck/Nick's scumbag lawyer. If this thing isn't a blockbuster, I'll eat my hat.

***UPDATE 7/25/2013***
Amy Dunne's role in the film offered to Rosamund Pike, whoever she might be. Good role for any actress as it's a potential star-maker.

***GONE GIRL CUPCAKES***

*****UPDATE 3/26/2013*****
See bottom of review. I think I need to re-think this oppositional review.
***UPDAT...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Marguerite Yourcenar wrote long ago that "the mask, given time, comes to be the face itself." This can work for good or bad, but the more hideous the secrets, the more carefully that mask is constructed. So what if you discovered after five years of marriage that you'd only seen the mask, and never the real face of your spouse? Once those dark truths were revealed, could you stay married to that person?

Knowledge is power, and never more so than in an intimate relationship.
What if your spouse kn...more
Emily May
3 1/2 stars.

This is going to be a hard review to write because I feel so conflicted about my final rating and just how much I actually liked this book. For one thing, I think the second half is a big improvement on the first half and, though this is my least favourite book by Ms Flynn, I can see in some ways why other reviewers see this as her strongest work.

Let me ask this question: is it possible to be objective when writing a book review? Can a book ever be objectively "good", even though som...more
Gary  the Bookworm
Gone Girl is astounding. It is a gripping story of the courtship and marriage of a narcissist and a sociopath. They appear to be experiencing the normal setbacks of life during our recent financial meltdown: job loss, relocation, mounting debt, family illness etc. etc. It is easy to identify with them individually, which makes it harder to know who to root for when the wife disappears on the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary and the husband becomes the prime suspect. Neither seems to be...more
Shelley
This book is such a steaming pile of shit for so many reasons. If you want to know those reasons, my review is posted on BookLikes here and at LeafMarks here.

Here it is again. Normally I don't post reviews here, but since this review won't help amazon sell books, I'm cool with that.

There is a huge cloud of smug over Gone Girl. This was such an unpleasant read that I started taking notes of all the ridiculous parts. It also didn't help matters that I figured out the ending before page 100.

There...more
karen

Mr. Peanut
The Seducer/The Conqueror/The Discoverer
Threats

and now this.

all of them are amazing stories about a wife gone missing or murdered, and the husband's journey through grief and suspicion with a bevvy of unreliable narrators. i'm actually not some sicko who is drawn to stories of murdered women, but these happen to be exceptional books that are strikingly similar in the way they unspool, and - yeah - they all have the same central action.

every single one of them is a twisty-turny narrativ...more
Susan
Twisty like a pretzel, dark like unadulterated chocolate, and as compelling as a twisted car wreck, this thriller delivers! On their fifth anniversary, Nick and Amy's marriage implodes when Amy goes missing and Nick is hardly as distraught as he ought to be. Too much plot summary would detract from the pleasure of reading the book for yourself. Suffice it to say, this is one psychological mind bender accompanied by witty, incisive, laser beam writing; if you like that type of thriller, this one...more
Becky

That was my immediate reaction after finishing this book. Pretty clearly that's not how it ends. It doesn't END that way. Yet, when I tapped Shadow's screen to turn the page (Shadow's my Nook's name, FYI) - there were only acknowledgements.

And then I thought about it... I gave it just a few minutes' thought, and I decided that I thought the ending was appropriate. Fucked up? Oh my, yes. But fitting too, in a way. We do dig our own graves, don't we?

This book kind of reminded of Lemarchand's Box...more
Nataliya
***************
Summary: I loved it while despising it, how 'bout that?
Oh dear, I'm caught between realizing that this is one of the most inconsistent plot-and-characterization-wise books I've read in a long time - as well as one of the most entertaining stay-up-all-night-to-finish books. Hmmmm.

This book unapologetically flew through the bestsellers and awards lists like a hurricane last year, being praised for its dark nature and unexpected twist and intricate plot (a.k.a. the reasons why I ap...more
Paul

AMY DUNNE

I am Amy. I’m so perfect you may want to puke. It’s okay, I have that effect on everyone, even my parents. They noticed I was so perfect when I was a little girl and so they wrote some vastly popular children’s books called The Adventures of Amazing Amy. You may have been given them to read in school, and you may have puked on them. I am so self-regarding I can’t pass a mirror without congratulating it that it’s reflecting me and not somebody else. I forgot to mention that I have a perf...more
Trudi

I've been completely fangirling over Gillian Flynn since her debut Sharp Objects six years ago. It remains one of my all-time-favorites, along with Flynn's sophomore novel Dark Places. No one writes the inner workings of warped and damaged human psychology better than this woman. With complete conviction I place her in the same category alongside the likes of Flannery O'Connor and Shirley Jackson. Flynn has a devilish, uncanny flair for creating memorable characters and twisty plots that drive d...more
Joel
Gillian Flynn hands you a little black box. "What's this?" you ask.

"Just open it," she says, twitching an eyebrow at you. Just a tiny movement, a gentle follicular nudge.

"Is this a puzzle box?" you ask, wary. "I keep seeing people playing with ones just like it on the train. There is a huge stack of them at Target. These aren't really my thing."

"I know, but this is a really tricky one," she says. "I want to see if you can figure it out."

Now it's a challenge. She has challenged you. Your ego is...more
Regina
Okay, here is the thing. I like dark and twisted stories. The twisted plotlines and authentically scarred characters pull me and I am hooked. Gillian Flynn wrote such a story line very well in Sharp Objects. That story is messed up but beautiful all the same. Donna Tartt and Tana French are other authors that know how to write about those dark places in the human soul. But it isn't just darkness in these stories that I love, there is also intensely developed characters and character driven plot...more
La Petite Américaine
You know those books that are a complete chore to read? The ones you'll do anything -- playing Words with Friends, cleaning the house, scrubbing toilets -- to avoid reading? Then a few weeks go by and you've gotten dumber, because in doing your damnedest to avoid reading said book, menial tasks have turned your brain to mush?

Yeah.

Gone Girl has gone to my "sucked" shelf.

Look. If I want to hear about bored, unhappily married people, I'll talk to my married friends or delve into something by a cap...more
Allison
This has spoilers. So read at your caution....
Honestly, I had a lot of thoughts about this novel, but they aborted on launch. I thought about comparing Gone Girl to American Psycho. What Brent Easton Ellis was saying about materialism and shallowness of the '80's in America was a dark cousin to what Flynn was trying to say about Gen X Uberhipsters. What happens when you're too self indulgent and too clever for your own good? Abort!

You know why, because this novel doesn't stand up to a real liter...more
Kristin (KC)
*5 Stars!*

While it feels a bit off referring to this deeply deranged book as a "fun read", that's exactly what I'm gonna call it. Because for the time spent reading it, this book entirely owned me. My focus, my world, my thoughts, were swept away by these insanely unrivaled characters and their darkly disturbing story. And the suspense of it all left me in a constant state of guessing — right up until the bitter end...

Gone Girl is not a happy, feel good love story with just a few bumps in an oth...more
Bonnie
A copy of Gone Girl was provided to me by Netgalley/Crown Publishing Group for review purposes.

On the day of Nick and Amy's five year wedding anniversary Nick comes home to find the door ajar, the iron still on, but no Amy. Amy's typical anniversary gift to Nick includes a treasure hunt with small personal messages to help lead him to the next location and to the big present. When he finds the first clue she had left for him he begins to follow the clues and realizes that Amy had been trying to...more
Giselle
This is probably one of the hardest reviews to write because starting half way--when the story "really" starts, when things get going--is where we begin to get twists that completely change the whole story. Thus, this needs to be kept vague for fear of revealing anything. I can say, however, that this story both enraptured me, making me a huge fan of this author, and at the same time I want it to burn in the deepest fires of hell. I'm being completely honest! This book needs to die, while I pet...more
Rachel
More like 2.5 stars. This book is well written, and a good summer read, especially if you like this kind of genre. I was going to give it 3 stars and mention how the writing was skilled, and the plotting, formatting were both expertly done, but then I planned to mention how years down the road, it would be a book I would have forgotten all about. But then I got to the ending and was disappointed. I'm too old-fashioned while reading this genre, I want [SPOILER ALERT] the bad guy to get caught, an...more
Dan Schwent
When his wife goes missing, Nick Dunne quickly finds himself the prime suspect. Did he kill his wife? Was their marriage as perfect as it seemed? Or was there someone sinister going on all along?

One the heels of reading Dark Places and catching a dose of Gillian Flynn fever, I decided to take on her show dog, Gone Girl. People are bastards, bastards coated in douche bags and then rolled in a pile of assholes. That's the life lesson I learned from reading Gone Girl.

Told using a more or less paral...more
Kemper
If you’re feeling sadistic and really want to freak out some newlyweds, give them a copy of this book, but be aware that there’s a good chance you’ll end up with someone sleeping on your couch while they rush to get a quickie divorce.

Nick and Amy Dunne started out as a couple that you usually only see in movies. Attractive, smart and hip with cool jobs at New York magazines, they’ve even got great back stories with Nick being a small town Missouri boy who made it in the big city and Amy was the...more
Tarryn Fisher
As always, I'm in awe of my idol.Gone Girl made me question every book I've read in the last year. Other people slap words on a page like they're writing a sloppy joe. Gillian spends two years crafting the literary equivalent of Beef Bourguignon. Brilliant. Flawless writing. Beautifully crafted sentences. Intricate characters. Plot twists that blow away all other plot twists. She's nuts. You can't write characters like that unless you are slightly demented yourself. But I'd join her cult any day...more
TheBookSmugglers
**WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE, CAPS LOCK OF RAGE, AND OCCASIONAL SPOILERS (we will let you know when spoilers kick in). You have been warned.**

Thea’s Take:

(There will be spoilers, but I’ll give you warning when they kick in.)

I started Gone Girl knowing only these things.

Gone Girl is:

A. One of the bestselling books of 2012, recipient of multiple awards from critics and readers alike, across genres and categories.
B. Gillian Flynn’s latest novel, with a rumored HUGE twist somewh...more
Sara Miller
Almost exactly half way through and thus far I have:

-douchecanoe of a husband who probably wants to fuck his twin sister

-ball buster of a wife (in both versions of herself)

-and a Sherlock crossover plot bunny.

This is a miserable book about miserable people written by someone who - I'm sorry, if you're going to write about New Yorkers, I'd believe you more if you actually had done a bit more research. Especially because she writes about the New Yorkers I grew up with (and sort of am). THat and th...more
Anyone Hate Amy AND Nick? 77 430 1 hour, 12 min ago
Suspense for Sens...: Gone Girl--I have to ask 6 10 8 hours, 10 min ago
why do people hate nick so much 11 142 9 hours, 11 min ago
Is "Gone Girl" a Mystery or a Thriller? 12 44 9 hours, 14 min ago
Psychological Aspects (Spoilers) 1 15 19 hours, 46 min ago
Underlying Story 13 192 20 hours, 39 min ago
  • Fludd
  • Broken Harbour (Dublin Murder Squad, #4)
  • Defending Jacob
  • The Scent of Rain and Lightning
  • Into the Darkest Corner
  • Boom!
  • This is Where I Leave You
  • Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Secret Keeper
  • Me Before You
  • After Dark, My Sweet
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi...more
More about Gillian Flynn...
Dark Places Sharp Objects The Novels of Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects, Dark Places Gillian Flynn CD Audiobook Bundle: Gone Girl; Dark Places; Sharp Objects Rogues

86 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain. (How do you know you’re not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: “I like strong women.” If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because “I like strong women” is code for “I hate strong women.”)”
1683 likes
“There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.” 704 likes