Start by marking “In the New World: Growing Up with America from the Sixties to the Eighties” as Want to Read:
In the New World: Growing Up with America from the Sixties to the Eighties

In the New World: Growing Up with America from the Sixties to the Eighties

We first meet Larry Wright in 1960. He is thirteen and moving with his family to Dallas, the essential city of the New World just beginning to rise across the southern rim of the United States. As we follow him through the next two decades—the civil rights movement, the Vietnam War, the devastating assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King, ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Vintage (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about In the New World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the New World

Louise

Laurence Wright tells of his growing awareness of the world as he experienced the major events of the late 20th century. His family had moved from Oklahoma to Dallas where this book begins and ends. He is embarrassingly honest about his early views and awkwardness.

Wright remembers the dull Dallas of the 50s, a city of few minorities and strong right wing opinions. LBJ was spat upon and JFK was greeted to Dallas by ads accusing him of treason. It was the home of General Edwin Walker who was influ
SmarterLilac
Feb 15, 2009 SmarterLilac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
God I love, love, love this book. Wright's prose is perfect. I discovered this at the beginning of my own political upheaval and personal disillusionment, (mid-2004) which proceeded to feel like I imagine the '60s felt for the previous generation. It was an eye opener.
Roy
Mar 01, 2013 Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent account of the turbulent times in which the author grew up and his own journey through them.
Alan Barbee
I read the 2013 re-issued edition. Favorite lines are as follows:

"I am now the age my father was when I began writing this book, nearly three decades ago. The America my generation leaves behind is better in some ways than the country that was given to us, and more flawed in others. In this moment, I find myself, as my father must have felt, caught between loss and hope. How I wish I could talk to him again! But the graveyards that hold the bones of our ancestors also contain the wisdom they acc
Nicola
Mar 21, 2015 Nicola rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read by Lawrence Wright who weaves his personal coming-of-age story into a history of US politics from the 60s to the 80s with his hometown of Dallas as the focal point. Wright's knowledge is so extensive and his observations so astute that reading this newly illuminated familiar historical events for me like the Kennedy assassination and Watergate.

Additionally, this book deepened my understanding of the American South's politics and the contemporary complex tensions between N
mount
Sep 15, 2013 mount rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i haven't been drawn into something so effortlessly in a while. the man's writing is clear and the pace steady, and it's great when an author can write about politics without being strident, yet without withholding his own conclusions. more of a report than an opinion-piece for sure. Looming Tower was similarly excellent.
the book is especially interesting because you get a sense of what it was like to live in dallas and to understand the context in which the assassination of JFK happened. i had
David Quinn
An excellent book through the first half but a bit wearying beyond that point. Overall I’d recommend it, particularly to Baby Boomers born around 1950.

The first 11 chapters were terrific. The writing was very fluid and insightful, and I really liked the author’s blend of personal memoir, generational vibe and historical references.

Starting with Chapter 12 (White Man) the writing took on a dour and whiny style and never returned to its earlier excellence.

This was the reverse of my experience with
Mason
Dec 28, 2013 Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful, well-written memoir/historical non-fiction narrative about Dallas as a source for rebellion and complacency in the 1960s-80s. A must-read for anyone who found themselves chafing against "Big D" in childhood.
Steve Brooks
Oct 25, 2016 Steve Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My time and my life experiences through this author. A must read for all baby boomers!
Sonny Luca
Sonny Luca rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2007
Brian T
Brian T rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Iain McNab
Iain McNab rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Dr J
Dr J rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Rick Greif
Rick Greif rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Karen Hood
Karen Hood rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Dave Jackson
Dave Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Andre
Andre rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Tom Horton
Tom Horton rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2016
Joan Adams
Joan Adams rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Steve Leach
Steve Leach rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Grass Arena: An Autobiography
  • Loose Change: Three Women of the Sixties
  • Bad Science: The Short Life and Weird Times of Cold Fusion
  • Pages from the Goncourt Journals
  • Death by Supermarket: The Fattening, Dumbing Down and Poisoning of America
  • Deep Time:: How Humanity Communicates Across Millennia
  • JFK's Last Hundred Days: The Transformation of a Man and The Emergence of a Great President
  • A Place for Us: A Greek Immigrant Boy's Odyssey to a New Country and an Unknown Father
  • Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles
  • The Promise of the New South: Life After Reconstruction
  • The Encyclopedia of New York City
  • Period Piece
  • The Century of Revolution, 1603-1714
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Wright is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American author, screenwriter, staff writer for The New Yorker magazine, and fellow at the Center for Law and Security at the New York University School of Law. He is a graduate of Tulane University, and for two years taught at the American University in Cairo in Egypt.

Wright graduated from Woodrow Wilson High
More about Lawrence Wright...