Start by marking “Nexus (Nexus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nexus (Nexus, #1)

Nexus (Nexus #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,298 Ratings  ·  1,057 Reviews
Mankind gets an upgrade

In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link humans together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he’s thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage – f
Published December 18th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Nexus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nexus

Rob
Executive Summary: Fascinating, enticing, thrilling, terrifying.

Audio book: It's Luke Daniels. If you don't know that means it's a good audio book without me saying, you've been missing out. This book has been on my radar for awhile, and I already owned the ebook. The fact that Luke Daniels did the audio and that there was a cheap whipsersync upgrade got me to finally pull the trigger. Yet another reason to thank Luke Daniels!

Full Review
I wish there were more books like this. It's totally in m
Alex Ristea
Nexus is now my go-to for whenever I have to recommend near-future SF.

Imagine a computer that integrates directly with your brain. Imagine if this computer was open source and you could modify/hack/patch it as you wished. Imagine...well, let's stop there. Ramez Naam has imagined all of this, and wrote a brilliant novel to share it with us.

There's good reason it's on the John W. Campbell ballot this year, and among such top-calibre authors like Max Gladstone, Sofia Samatar, and Wesley Chu.

It's no
David Sven
A cyberpunk/speculative fiction thriller set in the year 2040. Nexus is a drug that employs nano-tech which alters the brain to be able to connect with other Nexus minds. And it can also accept software stretching the bounds of what it means to be human.

The first half of the book was ok, but the second half was breakneck speed action with secret agents and high tech electronic warfare and monks...and Bruce Lee all mashing together in a techy/druggy roller coaster ride to the end. I thought the f
Carmen
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Mindjacking - the ability to read another's mind and, if you want to, force them to move and speak as you wish.

Kaden Lane is a young scientific genius experimenting with Nexus 5, a new version of a popular "drug" (really a nanotechnology) that allows you to connect your consciousness with the consciousness of others. He is naïve, goodhearted, and wants this technology to be expanded and created in order to give everyone a higher consciousness. He believes this technology will make the world a be
Genevieve
Jun 20, 2015 Genevieve rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those who want dumbed down science fiction
Recommended to Genevieve by: Picked it up on NetGalley
< ErROr: Experiencing cognitive dissonance >

Nexus is an aspiring techno-thriller written by "professional technologist," Ramez Naam. Naam has done his research on AI (his day job), has nearly twenty patents under his name, and has written widely on post-human topics, most notably More Than Human Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement. So this guy knows his stuff. I expected lovely tingles in my brain where Nerd Girl lives when I cracked this book open.

So why did I cringe so much w
Mark
Jun 25, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it
Brilliant book, well worth the read, really good characters nice steady storyline, vivid descriptions of whats going on, made it good for me. The action really kicks off in last third of the book.

main strength of this is how the author brings in the role of human fears and ignorance and how we react to them.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Besides being a pretty damn good book, Nexus also has the distinction of being the first cyberpunk-ish novel that I've genuinely enjoyed. There's not as much as a barrier when it comes to diving right into the story, and there's just something about the characters that kept my interest levels high from beginning to end.

Despite being a futuristic techno-thriller, certain aspects about it will feel just familiar enough to ca
sj
Originally posted here. 2.75/5 stars on the review rubric, rounding up.

Bluh. I feel like I shouldn't even be calling this a review, because I'm not sure it'll end up being one.

I was way into the idea of this book very early on because of that oh-so-very-intriguing tagline.

Mankind gets an upgrade

I mean...right? Yeah, that totally sounds like my kind of thing, y'know?

AND THE COVER! [swoon] Seriously, that's an amazing cover and contributed to my whole sense of "ZOMG MUST READ THIS NAO!"

The titular
Michelle Morrell
Feb 09, 2016 Michelle Morrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, read-2016
Set in the near future, humans are perfecting an organic operating system for the brain (called Nexus) that allows manipulating reactions, interfacing with others and software overlays for anything from increased reaction time to (insert anything you can think of here).

Warring factions want to control this: the government agency tasked with eliminating what they consider a threat to humanity, the people so augmented they don't qualify as human anymore, and everyone in between who can think of u
Ben Babcock
Feb 01, 2014 Ben Babcock rated it really liked it
William Gibson once said, “The future is already here—it’s just not very evenly distributed.” I’m starting to think this is the case with the Singularity as well. By its very definition this would seem to belie the idea of a Singularity at all, but bear with me.

Singularity generally deals in two closely related concepts: artificial intelligence and posthumanism. Once we get an AI that no longer relies on humans to improve its own processing capability, we’ve hit Singularity: the AI is god and we
Althea Ann
Feb 15, 2015 Althea Ann rated it liked it
If ever a book was tailor-made to be an action movie, this would be the one. It's non-stop action mixed with exotic locations, plenty of explosions, and high-tech hardware.

Kaden Lane is a promising young neuroscientist who, along with his friends, has come up with Nexus. Nexus is an illegal party drug - but it also promises (and threatens) to usher in a new posthuman era, with its capability to enhance communication between individuals.

The United States government will stop at nothing to shut do
Frishawn Quinn
Kade Lane has improved the Nexus technology. He is fully aware that this technology can change the world overnight. He is also becoming aware that the tech that he has created could cost him his life.
This is the first techno-thriller that I have ever come across in the New Adult drama. The main players in this book are Kade and his friends, who are effectually the next great minds in nanotech.

The thing that makes this book such an easy read is the fact that though Kade and his friends are very i
Brad
May 29, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
I have nothing bad to say about this novel. I was forced to stay up very late to read this, and I ducked out of other entertainments just to finish it. Did I get sucked into the idea of a transhumanism emergence? I think so.

At least with Nexus, it's definitely my favorite Linux distro. I've got about a dozen ideas for apps that I'd like to write. If I can't find it in open source, of course.

I want my new OS!

As for possible complaints about evil governments... Come on...
Anyone read history? Idea
Sky
Mar 15, 2015 Sky rated it it was amazing
Wow...This book really blew me away. I had no idea what the book was about going into it - I just kept seeing positive reviews + recommendations from people here on Goodreads. It turns out the book touches on many subjects near and dear to me, from:

- The use of psychedelics in therapy, particularly for treating PTSD
- The insanity of war on terror, drugs, and in this book, what it means to be human
- Buddhism and meditation
- The link between what is being found in the forefront of neuroscience and
Andy
Oct 18, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
Another Winner from Angry Robot Books!

The technology is way out there (at times) but its delivered in such a way that you can follow it & it becomes the major part of a story that hooks you from the get-go.

The story touches on the next evolution of man through the nexus environment, mind melds & talk of super humans, then of posthumans, all interesting & even some very plausible technologies amongst all the science fiction as well as a few substantial leaps. Was fully caught up in it
Dara
Sometimes, the best way to go into a book is to have no expectations. I had never heard of Ramez Naam before, barely knew anything about the plot of Nexus, and went into it with an open mind. I ended up loving the book and can't wait to read Crux.

Nexus is a drug that allows you to connect mind-to-mind with another person. You can experience things together, feel what the other person is feeling, and re-live the other person's memories. The implications are wide-ranging from therapists using Nexu
Paul
Nov 08, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Nexus is an nano drug that takes the mere human and make them into a transhuman; able to interconnect with others, is far more aware and is permanently connected to the web.

Kade, the main character has just upgraded it to Nexus , and is trailing it when he is pulled in by the ERD, an American organisation charged enforcing the Copenhagen agreement and stopping these technologies becoming widely available. Three of his friends are pulled in, by an ex special ops guy escapes. As part of the plea b
Robyn
Mar 26, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Fascinating book on what it means to be human in an age where our brains can be digitally enhanced and refined. Manages to be an engaging sci-fi thought piece & a fast-paced thriller all at the same time. I enjoyed how Naam engages with the morality of technology, and let's Kade Lane really debate over the best choice with very realistic consequences.

4.5, really!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
While this is Ramez Naam's first novel, he is known for his non-fiction such as More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement, where he argues that one day we will view genetic modification and other advances as everyday. So it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that this is a rare novel viewing near-future technologies without the usual lens of fear and dystopia.

Instead of science being the enemy, those who would hold it back or use it for evil are the enemy. It does get a bi
Nico
May 06, 2015 Nico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
German Review on GosuReviews

Intriguing idea packed in a fast paced tech-thriller. I enjoyed this book quite a bit, especially the blurred lines between good and evil of the involved parties and the struggle of the character to decide what the right thing to do is. Both sides got their convincing arguments and it's even hard to decide for the reader to say who is right here. Technology, epically on this scale is truly a double edged sword.
The after word is also very interesting, where Naam descri
Jason
Nov 14, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
4.5 Stars

Nexus is simply a fantastic piece of near future science fiction. This is a new cyberpunk classic. The story is fast paced and filled with action and cyber geek wonder. There is plenty of action to keep things moving along. The characters are likable but ultimately they are second rate when compared to the science, the nanotechnology, and the high concepts within.

I loved this book as it really had me thinking, What if? The plot has a couple of minor twists and the ending is satisfying
Mikel
Dec 14, 2012 Mikel rated it liked it
Science fiction is filled with brain bending concepts, and is a fantastic template for looking at where humans are going, as well as how we got there. One of the joys of reading science fiction is how easily authors can use its form to spur discussion on a whole variety of interesting topics. But, like any template, it can be used effectively, or it can fall short, particularly if the balance between story and philosophy are out of whack.

Nexus, the first novel from Ramez Naam, is unfortunately o
Wendy
Oct 12, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
Nexus is an experimental nano-drug that can connect people telepathically. Kade Lane and his friends have taken Nexus to the next level thanks to their neuro-scientific research, but this has made them targets of both their own government, as well as those who are equally interested in Nexus' potential, for good or ill. The obvious moral conflict takes an interesting turn thanks to all of the different perspectives that are offered, including that of Buddhists monks whose peaceful, practical vie ...more
Scotto Moore
Dec 20, 2012 Scotto Moore rated it it was amazing
Insanely great fiction debut. I had the same feeling reading this for the first time that I did when I first read Stephenson's "Snow Crash" or Stross's "Accelerando" - that feeling of watching possible futures completely collapse into reality on the page. As others have noted, amidst the action thriller framework, the deep questions the book asks linger in the mind - if someone offered you Nexus at a party tomorrow, would you take it yourself?
Lee
Jun 02, 2015 Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Well definitely my read of the year so far. I had very little knowledge of the story when I started this and within 10 minutes I was completely and utterly hooked. I haven't raved about a book like this for ages, it was great to find a gem of a read and be utterly absorbed.

On to book two.

Do I recommend Nexus: Hell yeah!
Mona
Sep 27, 2014 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramez Naam isn't afraid to tackle big ideas, including political ideas, such as the loss of individual freedom in the U.S. in the name of "safety". He also deals with issues of post-humanism, such as cloning and biological enhancements and their ethics and consequences. He even tackles the loss of empathy and humanity in our time and its disastrous consequences. In addition, the book showcases the dark side of the U.S.'s secret black ops and the physical and psychological violence committed by t ...more
Ric
May 11, 2014 Ric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a form of near-future, tech-heavy escapist SF, I thoroughly enjoyed Nexus. With his software development background, Ramez Naam infuses this with a practitioner's insight on future developments in code monkeying. Plus, he constructs an intriguing backstory of a designer drug hacked by ... what could be the cast of the Big Bang Theory (TV show). There's also quite a bit of action and cloak-and-dagger intrigue with the nerds pitted against the Emergent Risks Directorate, a convenient anti-techn ...more
Jim
Dec 26, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
No spoilers here. No need to ruin the experience of others in discovering this enjoyable nugget of entertainment!

As a published author (twice!) of non-fiction, and a still aspiring fiction writer, there is nothing wrong with this book (except for a coupla typos!). And there is a lot right.

I am an admitted scifi aficionado. As a former physicist and engineer, I blanche when I read scifi with gigantic holes in logic and inconsistencies in the world framework spun by the authors. Naam has done an e
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
This review also appears on my blogAt the End of the Story

It is just so awfully frightening when you happen to realize how closely you can link Science-Fiction and Fantasy. Just exactly how similar they are. The comprehension of this struck me when I was in the shower, taking a much-needed break from Nexus. I managed to link the following before my brain shut down in discord with this new revelation, on the basis of heresy and blasphemy:

Mind Control using Nexus:Vampiric Compulsion
Mind Read:Edwar
Dragana
In the future, Nexus is the new popular nano-drug that allows humans to temporarily connect minds & share thoughts with other current Nexus users. Kade Lane, young scientists, in his experiments radically improves Nexus. Not only he managed to make the Nexus influence/presence in human brain permanent, he also installed OS to Nexus nano-bots. So Nexus users can install addons/applications to help them in using their body (just like we now do on our phones). Don Juan app, Bruce Lee app,... (I ...more
Round and flat characters 3 7 Nov 05, 2015 11:10AM
Favorite Point of View 1 4 Oct 31, 2015 11:45AM
Point of View 1 8 Oct 30, 2015 11:08AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Nexus by Ramez Naam 1 15 Jun 22, 2015 04:15PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Nexus by Ramez Naam 2 18 Feb 21, 2015 07:05AM
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • Avogadro Corp (Singularity #1)
  • The Deaths of Tao (Tao, #2)
  • Defenders
  • The Bohr Maker
  • The Causal Angel (Jean le Flambeur, #3)
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
  • Kill Decision
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • God's War (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #1)
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
  • A Darkling Sea
  • Reality 36
  • The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations
Ramez Naam was born in Cairo, Egypt, and came to the US at the age of 3. He's a computer scientist who spent 13 years at Microsoft, leading teams working on email, web browsing, search, and artificial intelligence. He holds almost 20 patents in those areas.

Ramez is the winner of the 2005 H.G. Wells Award for his non-fiction book More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement. He'
More about Ramez Naam...

Nexus (3 books)
  • Crux (Nexus, #2)
  • Apex (Nexus, #3)

“We think of ourselves as individuals, but all that we have accomplished, and all that we will accomplish, is the result of groups of humans cooperating. Those groups are organisms in their own rights.” 7 likes
“To understand the future course of this war, one need only look at the history of the War on Drugs and the War on Terror. Like those two manufactured "wars", this one will be never-ending, freedom-destroying, counterproductive, and ultimately understood to have caused far more damage than the supposed threat it was aimed at ever could have.” 6 likes