Start by marking “Nexus (Nexus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nexus (Nexus, #1)

Nexus (Nexus #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  5,640 ratings  ·  700 reviews
Mankind gets an upgrade

In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link human together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he’s thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage – fo
Published December 18th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Nexus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nexus

Alex Ristea
Nexus is now my go-to for whenever I have to recommend near-future SF.

Imagine a computer that integrates directly with your brain. Imagine if this computer was open source and you could modify/hack/patch it as you wished. Imagine...well, let's stop there. Ramez Naam has imagined all of this, and wrote a brilliant novel to share it with us.

There's good reason it's on the John W. Campbell ballot this year, and among such top-calibre authors like Max Gladstone, Sofia Samatar, and Wesley Chu.

It's no
Rob
Executive Summary: Fascinating, enticing, thrilling, terrifying.

Audio book: It's Luke Daniels. If you don't know that means it's a good audio book without me saying, you've been missing out. This book has been on my radar for awhile, and I already owned the ebook. The fact that Luke Daniels did the audio and that there was a cheap whipsersync upgrade got me to finally pull the trigger. Yet another reason to thank Luke Daniels!

Full Review
I wish there were more books like this. It's totally in m
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
Mindjacking - the ability to read another's mind and, if you want to, force them to move and speak as you wish.

Kaden Lane is a young scientific genius experimenting with Nexus 5, a new version of a popular "drug" (really a nanotechnology) that allows you to connect your consciousness with the consciousness of others. He is naïve, goodhearted, and wants this technology to be expanded and created in order to give everyone a higher consciousness. He believes this technology will make the world a be
Althea Ann
If ever a book was tailor-made to be an action movie, this would be the one. It's non-stop action mixed with exotic locations, plenty of explosions, and high-tech hardware.

Kaden Lane is a promising young neuroscientist who, along with his friends, has come up with Nexus. Nexus is an illegal party drug - but it also promises (and threatens) to usher in a new posthuman era, with its capability to enhance communication between individuals.

The United States government will stop at nothing to shut do
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Besides being a pretty damn good book, Nexus also has the distinction of being the first cyberpunk-ish novel that I've genuinely enjoyed. There's not as much as a barrier when it comes to diving right into the story, and there's just something about the characters that kept my interest levels high from beginning to end.

Despite being a futuristic techno-thriller, certain aspects about it will feel just familiar enough to ca
sj
Originally posted here. 2.75/5 stars on the review rubric, rounding up.

Bluh. I feel like I shouldn't even be calling this a review, because I'm not sure it'll end up being one.

I was way into the idea of this book very early on because of that oh-so-very-intriguing tagline.

Mankind gets an upgrade

I mean...right? Yeah, that totally sounds like my kind of thing, y'know?

AND THE COVER! [swoon] Seriously, that's an amazing cover and contributed to my whole sense of "ZOMG MUST READ THIS NAO!"

The titular
Frishawn Rasheed
Kade Lane has improved the Nexus technology. He is fully aware that this technology can change the world overnight. He is also becoming aware that the tech that he has created could cost him his life.
This is the first techno-thriller that I have ever come across in the New Adult drama. The main players in this book are Kade and his friends, who are effectually the next great minds in nanotech.

The thing that makes this book such an easy read is the fact that though Kade and his friends are very i
Ben Babcock
William Gibson once said, “The future is already here—it’s just not very evenly distributed.” I’m starting to think this is the case with the Singularity as well. By its very definition this would seem to belie the idea of a Singularity at all, but bear with me.

Singularity generally deals in two closely related concepts: artificial intelligence and posthumanism. Once we get an AI that no longer relies on humans to improve its own processing capability, we’ve hit Singularity: the AI is god and we
Sky
Wow...This book really blew me away. I had no idea what the book was about going into it - I just kept seeing positive reviews + recommendations from people here on Goodreads. It turns out the book touches on many subjects near and dear to me, from:

- The use of psychedelics in therapy, particularly for treating PTSD
- The insanity of war on terror, drugs, and in this book, what it means to be human
- Buddhism and meditation
- The link between what is being found in the forefront of neuroscience and
Dara
Sometimes, the best way to go into a book is to have no expectations. I had never heard of Ramez Naam before, barely knew anything about the plot of Nexus, and went into it with an open mind. I ended up loving the book and can't wait to read Crux.

Nexus is a drug that allows you to connect mind-to-mind with another person. You can experience things together, feel what the other person is feeling, and re-live the other person's memories. The implications are wide-ranging from therapists using Nexu
Nico
German Review on GosuReviews

Intriguing idea packed in a fast paced tech-thriller. I enjoyed this book quite a bit, especially the blurred lines between good and evil of the involved parties and the struggle of the character to decide what the right thing to do is. Both sides got their convincing arguments and it's even hard to decide for the reader to say who is right here. Technology, epically on this scale is truly a double edged sword.
The after word is also very interesting, where Naam descri
Paul Cheney
Nexus is an nano drug that takes the mere human and make them into a transhuman; able to interconnect with others, is far more aware and is permanently connected to the web.

Kade, the main character has just upgraded it to Nexus , and is trailing it when he is pulled in by the ERD, an American organisation charged enforcing the Copenhagen agreement and stopping these technologies becoming widely available. Three of his friends are pulled in, by an ex special ops guy escapes. As part of the plea b
Jenny (Reading Envy)
While this is Ramez Naam's first novel, he is known for his non-fiction such as More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement, where he argues that one day we will view genetic modification and other advances as everyday. So it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that this is a rare novel viewing near-future technologies without the usual lens of fear and dystopia.

Instead of science being the enemy, those who would hold it back or use it for evil are the enemy. It does get a bi
Mikel
Science fiction is filled with brain bending concepts, and is a fantastic template for looking at where humans are going, as well as how we got there. One of the joys of reading science fiction is how easily authors can use its form to spur discussion on a whole variety of interesting topics. But, like any template, it can be used effectively, or it can fall short, particularly if the balance between story and philosophy are out of whack.

Nexus, the first novel from Ramez Naam, is unfortunately o
Ric
As a form of near-future, tech-heavy escapist SF, I thoroughly enjoyed Nexus. With his software development background, Ramez Naam infuses this with a practitioner's insight on future developments in code monkeying. Plus, he constructs an intriguing backstory of a designer drug hacked by ... what could be the cast of the Big Bang Theory (TV show). There's also quite a bit of action and cloak-and-dagger intrigue with the nerds pitted against the Emergent Risks Directorate, a convenient anti-techn ...more
Jim
No spoilers here. No need to ruin the experience of others in discovering this enjoyable nugget of entertainment!

As a published author (twice!) of non-fiction, and a still aspiring fiction writer, there is nothing wrong with this book (except for a coupla typos!). And there is a lot right.

I am an admitted scifi aficionado. As a former physicist and engineer, I blanche when I read scifi with gigantic holes in logic and inconsistencies in the world framework spun by the authors. Naam has done an e
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
This review also appears on my blogAt the End of the Story

It is just so awfully frightening when you happen to realize how closely you can link Science-Fiction and Fantasy. Just exactly how similar they are. The comprehension of this struck me when I was in the shower, taking a much-needed break from Nexus. I managed to link the following before my brain shut down in discord with this new revelation, on the basis of heresy and blasphemy:

Mind Control using Nexus:Vampiric Compulsion
Mind Read:Edwar
Richard Guion
This top notch science fiction thriller deserves the highest rating! What first seems like a novel about wetware turns into a very tense thriller about what happens when Nexus (think of Android for the brain) is modified by the main protagonist, Kade. He comes up against various forces in the US government who are trying to shutdown any such "drugs" or brain enhancements. The other main character is Sam, a government operative assigned to Kade's case. Sam is not exactly human herself, augmented ...more
Kaleb
Admittedly, I wasn't all that interest in Nexus during my first read, but only because I was in a reading funk and incapable of enjoying anything. However, I was completely immersed during my second read through. Nexus is nothing short of excellent. Nothing is black and white in this book; I was forced to make my own conclusions on who was right or wrong. The other aspect I'd love the praise is the technology and how Naam depicts a future in which we are able to connect to one another through ou ...more
Scotto Moore
Insanely great fiction debut. I had the same feeling reading this for the first time that I did when I first read Stephenson's "Snow Crash" or Stross's "Accelerando" - that feeling of watching possible futures completely collapse into reality on the page. As others have noted, amidst the action thriller framework, the deep questions the book asks linger in the mind - if someone offered you Nexus at a party tomorrow, would you take it yourself?
Robyn
Mar 26, 2015 Robyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Fascinating book on what it means to be human in an age where our brains can be digitally enhanced and refined. Manages to be an engaging sci-fi thought piece & a fast-paced thriller all at the same time. I enjoyed how Naam engages with the morality of technology, and let's Kade Lane really debate over the best choice with very realistic consequences.

4.5, really!
Genevieve
Feb 02, 2015 Genevieve rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want dumbed down science fiction
Recommended to Genevieve by: Picked it up on NetGalley
< ErROr: Experiencing cognitive dissonance >

Nexus is an aspiring techno-thriller written by "professional technologist," Ramez Naam. Naam has done his research on AI (his day job), has nearly twenty patents under his name, and has written widely on post-human topics, most notably More Than Human Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement. So this guy knows his stuff. I expected lovely tingles in my brain where Nerd Girl lives when I cracked this book open.

So why did I cringe so much w
Kate Sherrod
I think I do a pretty good job of keeping up on developments in art and science via my RSS feeds, but somehow I seem to have missed the news that Ray Kurzweil and Robert Ludlum had a bastard child together and sent him back in time to grow up as a little Egyptian boy. But, you know, I can't keep track of everything. And better late than never, on such discoveries, I say.

Fortunately for me, I'm not dependent on myself alone to stay on top of matters. I have people like Lee Harris and the rest of
Nic Brisbourne
Nexus is a very enjoyable sci-fi adventure, but more importantly it is an investigation of the potential of the potential of mind and body altering technologies and associated ethical questions.

Ramez pictures a world in which humans have the potential to have brains as powerful as super computers with full web access and to be networked to other similarly powerful minds. He holds out that the ensuing collective consciousness might take the human condition to another level, much as speaking has r
Dragana
In the future, Nexus is the new popular nano-drug that allows humans to temporarily connect minds & share thoughts with other current Nexus users. Kade Lane, young scientists, in his experiments radically improves Nexus. Not only he managed to make the Nexus influence/presence in human brain permanent, he also installed OS to Nexus nano-bots. So Nexus users can install addons/applications to help them in using their body (just like we now do on our phones). Don Juan app, Bruce Lee app,... (I ...more
Jon
Ramez Naam nominated for John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (Award for the best new professional science fiction or fantasy writer of 2012 or 2013).

3.5-4 stars. A bit violent but still a good read. The tech was exciting and scary, bringing up many interesting ethical dilemmas.
Bibliotropic
(Full review here: http://bibliotropic.net/2014/04/27/ne...)

Nexus is the kind of book that, once you get into it, you’ll never really be able to pull yourself out of. It’s an incredibly intelligent novel, filled with concepts that get you thinking, and it walks that fine and difficult line of combining science and morality in such a way that it doesn’t feel like you’re being drowned in either one. Between the philosophy, Naam’s incredibly engaging writing style, a diverse and realistic cast of c
Suzanne
4.5 stars, rounded up because this book really made me think about it, even when I wasn't reading. Its an exciting story, and I love the idea of a computer in my brain....and I hate the idea of a computer in my brain. This book doesn't make the issues black and white either - I changed my mind several times. It certainly isn't just an issues book though - it has an exciting story and lots of action. I'm glad it was recommended to me!
Profundus Librum
Nem mindennapi dolog, ha egy ilyen illusztris hátterű kutató szórakoztató regény írásába kezd. Amennyiben ráadásul egy tudományos alapossággal készült (vagyis hard) sci-firől beszélünk – mint most –, az egyszeri olvasó (mint én) első örömét – juhhé, végre valaki süketelés, mellébeszélés nélkül ír olyan témákról, amikhez valóban (!) ért is! – hamar átveheti a nem teljesen légből kapott félelem, miszerint valószínűleg a., úgysem fogok belőle érteni egy rohadt szót sem és b., valószínűleg elég sivá ...more
Steven Stennett
loved the Buddhist angle great book the second one is out now so I am going to purchases it and start reading it as soon as I finish my current book by Asher Neal, the third in the Owner series.
2015 Reading Chal...: Nexus by Ramez Naam 2 13 Feb 21, 2015 07:05AM
  • A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity #2)
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)
  • Defenders
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
  • The Lifecycle of Software Objects
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
  • Kill Decision
  • Arctic Rising
  • Equations of Life (Samuil Petrovitch, #1)
  • First Light (The Red #1)
  • God's War (Bel Dame Apocrypha #1)
  • Constellation Games
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • The Waiting Stars
  • The Quantum Thief (Jean le Flambeur, #1)
Ramez Naam was born in Cairo, Egypt, and came to the US at the age of 3. He's a computer scientist who spent 13 years at Microsoft, leading teams working on email, web browsing, search, and artificial intelligence. He holds almost 20 patents in those areas.

Ramez is the winner of the 2005 H.G. Wells Award for his non-fiction book More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement. He'
More about Ramez Naam...

Nexus (3 books)
  • Crux (Nexus, #2)
  • Apex (Nexus, #3)
Crux (Nexus, #2) The Infinite Resource: The Power of Ideas on a Finite Planet More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement Apex (Nexus, #3) Water

“We think of ourselves as individuals, but all that we have accomplished, and all that we will accomplish, is the result of groups of humans cooperating. Those groups are organisms in their own rights.” 3 likes
“who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.” 1 likes