Start by marking “I Haiku You” as Want to Read:
I Haiku You

I Haiku You

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  50 reviews
"You be my jelly,
I'll be your peanut butter--
Let's stick together!"

Who do you "haiku"? Cheery expressions of love take flight in this delightful haiku collection. Both the young and the young at heart will enjoy sharing these simple poems of affection and appreciation.

Betsy Snyder, the talented author and illustrator of Sweet Dreams Lullaby, Haiku Baby, and Have You Ever T
Published December 26th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Haiku You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Haiku You

Brigid Sullivan
May 09, 2014 Brigid Sullivan added it
Shelves: poems
This is a basic introductory book to haiku. I want my students to become aware of the different forms of poetry, including haiku. Poetry is a very individualized form of writing, so I wanted to show my students the various options for transmitting thoughts and visuals to written work. Teaching haikus is a way to promote visualization when reading or listening. It also forces students to be concise and thoughtful in their choice of words when they convey an experience or describe an event. Haikus ...more
Morgan
These sweet little haikus paired with Snyder's sweet, quirky illustrations made me feel all cozy inside -- and also wanting to write some haikus about how much I heart G and Wally (d'awww). Explores different kinds of love and feelings without a heavy-hand and takes you through snowy and sunny weather. Possibly a good Choose to Read Ohio pick as the author/illustrator lives in Northeast Ohio.
Jacque
This was an amazing poetry book of haikus!! I really enjoyed the short haikus and illustrations. For students, I think this could be read to any grade level. This book could be used in the upper grades like 4th or 5th to practice haiku writing. They are great examples and I really liked that the poems do not rhyme like most people might think poetry has to. This book is versatile, the reader can think about whoever they want while reciting the poems. It could be to a friend, dog, or your childre ...more
Joey Hines
This book was a delightful find. I'm prepping a school-age haiku program, and will definitely be using this to teach the kids how it works. The haikus are fun, charmingly sweet, and written about things kids can relate to. For instance, this one's paired with an illustration of two kids coloring on the floor, while it's raining outside the window:

"your rainbow colors
come out to play when it pours --
chase the gray away"

While the haikus are bouncy and even irreverent (compared to the far more subt
Kalli
My heart melted when I read this collection of haiku. The illustrations are simple, but charming and only add to the sweetness of the words. Highly recommended for bedtime stories :)
Stacy268
Sweet collection of haikus about the loves in kids' lives... pets, bestfriends, teddy-bears, friends.
Aeicha
Betsy Snyder's I Haiku You is 32 pages of complete charm and cuteness! This picture book contains a collection of the sweetest and most addicting haikus ever. If you aren't familiar with the haiku, it is a Japanese form of poetry that usually contains 17 syllables in three lines (5, 7, 5).

Snyder's haikus in this book are all a celebration of love, friendship, family, and fun. Snyder writes with an endearing and lyrical voice that will captivate and enchant young readers and gown-ups alike. When
Kayla Spohr
This story is about love expressions. Written in haiku poems this book expresses the emotion of loving others. “I haiku you!”
This book would be great to use in the classroom as a different way to express love or just being kind. I love the cute kid in this book and would totally use it in my future classroom.
Linda
I know I’m late reading this book, and am glad I finally did. It’s full of haiku love for diverse things in a child’s life, like Popsicles and lemonade and teddy bears. The illustrations are cute cartoon-like drawings.
Elisabeth
I like Haiku and find it pleasing and sastisfying. I also enjoyed how the poems and illustrations follwed the calendar year, giving it some structure. The little drawings are very charming and feature the same kiddos thorought - a nice detail. These factors combined helped me overlook a little bit of gimmickry. I also tried to overlook the fact that this book looked pretty darn merchandisey and could easily be sold at Hallmark next to Valentine's Day cards. I still have a hard time with obvious ...more
Scott
I don't like the title, but the poems are fine. I feel like they could have been ordered a little better though. The illustrations are my favorite part of this collection.
Dolly
Jan 23, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
poems of everyday love - from the love of a beautiful morning, to a loving friendship, to the love we have for our pets (and they have for us).

my favorite:

little by little
i love watching you grow up
each and every inch

Angela Aubergine
Super cute book! a simple fun way to introduce haiku to your little one.
Kyra Hahn
Cute children's book of short poems about love and loved things/activities
Sharon Lawler
Haiku with meaning. Understandable, real life meaning.
Melissa
This collection covers all kinds of love, from sweethearts to teddybears to food to pets to whatever. Combined with an "I" and "you" that shifted from poem to poem (sometimes the I is the child, sometimes the parent, sometimes the you is a friend, sometimes a sunflower? or is the "I" the parent and the "you" the child? Anyway.) this book feels a little random. The topics (kite flying, hot cocoa, going to school, being sick) are SO familiar that they pretty much tip over from shared experiences i ...more
Michelle
I really liked this book as an introduction to haiku for young children, say, preschool through first or maybe second grade. These simple love poems speak not only to friendship and relationships, but also to love of snow angels, purple popsicles, crayons, and riding a bike. It is this variety of subject matter that makes them so approachable for young children, and so appealing to me as a mother who loves poetry and wants to share that love with my children.
Samantha
A picture book of love-themed haiku poetry. All kinds of love are represented, though my favorite poem is one about two friends who, like peanut butter and jelly, stick together!

Illustrations are charming. The children depicted are racially diverse and there's a few heart shapes to search for in almost every scene.

I recommend this book for gift giving, Valentine's day, or a unit on poetry.
Bethe
Delightful set of haiku poems about beloved everyday things: Popsicles, parents, pets and pals. Small size is perfect for cuddling up and reading with a loved one, like the last poem suggests: snuggles and stories. Also a great mentor text for haiku format and ordinary items as subjects for great poetry. Consider this book for a baby shower or valentines day gift.
Nancy
There are many ways to say I like you. And when you say it in a poem, it is extra special. This book is filled with poems written in a special style of poetry called haiku. And the poems tell of thing that make you happy -- like peanut butter and jelly: "you be my jelly, / i'll be your peanut butter-- / let's stick together!"
Lizzie
Sweet love poems for a whole calendar year told from a variety of different voices.
I like the the soft watercolors paired with that deep blue (almost a lapis lazuli like color) outline. I would have liked a quick one page explanation of haiku. Work well for Valentine's Day or Poetry month.
Elaine Bearden
k-3
Darling book, in the best sense of the word. little poems that match the trim size of the small book on topics throughout the day and celebrating friendship. The poem about the dog being left behind as the school bus pulls out with the owner is so true and touching.
Elise
Snyder has created a wonderfully sweet children's story written entirely in haiku form. Perfect for Valentine's Day or all year round, this book reminds us to remember to love the simple things in life. Also a great introduction to poetry and haiku.
AnnieM
Haiku is one of my favorite poem types. I think because of the limited space it forces precise word choices. matched with illustrations to help explain the poems makes this a great gift choice for almost anyone.
Dalia
I am lucky enough to be friends with the author-betsy snyder, and this book with its cute illustrations and haiku poems are as sweet as she is a person! A perfect book for any age for those who are kids at heart.
The Styling Librarian
I Haiku You by Betsy Snyder – Thoughtful poetry book full of lovely haiku poems. Simple but special. Loved showing the book trailer to my students and can’t wait to finally share the actual book with them!
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2013/...

A cute poetry book that is perfect to give a loved one or for teaching haiku (or for teaching haiku on Valentine's Day!).
Amy
An adorable gift book.....but didn't work so well in terms of illustrating haiku to my 3rd graders. It just might have been too "childish" for them. Probably better examples to use for that grade.
Laura Siegel
Love the illustrations and how they complement the haiku. Particularly like the two haiku about noodle soup and peanut butter and jelly. A bit Hallmarky but hey it's a sweet children's book.
Lara
Pretty adorable book entirely written in haiku. The illustrations aren't spectacular, though they work well, but the poems are fun. Perfect for Valentines Day, since it's all about love.
  • Pug: And Other Animal Poems
  • Step Gently Out
  • GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • In the Sea
Sweet Dreams Lullaby Have You Ever Tickled a Tiger? Haiku Baby[ HAIKU BABY ] by Snyder, Betsy E. (Author) May-27-08[ Board Book] Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book