Start by marking “The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe

The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Every December, Grandma Lupita tells Rose the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. As they make paper flowers to put around her statue, Grandma begins: Long ago, on a cold December morning near what is now Mexico City, a man named Juan Diego put on his cloak and started down the road to church. On his way, Juan Diego sees a beautiful Lady at the top of a hill. She tells Juan Di ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Lady

Jenna Langemeier
1. The connection I made with this book is a text-to-world connection. At the beginning of the story, two young girls are admiring a statue of "Our Lady of Guadalupe" in their grandmother's house. A few years ago I went on a trip to Mexico with my family and we went on some tours to see some of the historical landmarks in Mexico. We stopped at some gift shops along the way and I saw many of the same kind of statues of "Our Lady of Guadalupe". Even the restaurants we ate at had those statues up o ...more
Chandler Cash
I think The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe is a very well written book. Its illustrations are very beautiful and fill up the whole page. I think overall its a nice story that is insightful and shows a great connection between a young lady and her learning about her culture through an elder. The Author is also very descriptive in her words that it would be easy to just read the words and you could get a vivid picture in your mind about what is happening.

I think for the classroom this would
Kate
Nice, simple version of the story of Juan Diego - could definitely work for storytime, esp. if you cut out the grandmother-telling-the-story part. Illustrations are OK. Also has a craft tie in: grandma teaches the kids how to make paper flowers as she tells the story. Pat Mora thought of everything!
Donna
Nicely illustrated children's book about the legend of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It nudged me into doing a little research into the history of the story.
Crystal
Child friendly story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I would have loved to have the cookie recipe and instructions for making the flowers.
Patricia
The illustrations are very pretty. Naturally the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe is amazing. The story it is presented in was cute. I agree with the other reviewer that a photo of the actual tilma would have made this story book truly amazing. I would also add that prayers to Our Lady of Guadalupw would have been very nice as well. I've posted several below including a Novena (last)

First Prayer:
Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary of Guadalupe, that in thy celestial apparitions on the mo
Lorenzo Dominguez
Amazing

Great book for believers of the virgin Mary. It's we love you jesus
A really nice book. Of God love
Shelli
I had never heard the religious story of Our Lady Guadalupe, or the persistent believer who went again and again to the bishop asking him to build a church for their saint on the hill. This book was beautifully illustrated and a nice read to share with my daughter. I enjoy reading about other people’s cultures and beliefs, brings a better understanding of the different people in this big o' world.
Nancy
Every December, Grandma tells Rosa the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Long ago, a villager saw a beautiful lady floating. When the man told the bishop about it, the bishop demanded proof. But what proof could the villager provide? After all, the woman was long gone. This is a beautiful tale of a miracle from years ago.
Kelli
This is the story of the appearance of a beautiful lady radiating light, who asked the peasant Juan Diego to approach the bishop about building a temple for her. Our Lady of Guadalupe is a powerful symbol to many people of Latin America. Here is how one family commemorates this event.
Sharon Lawler
In this simple story, a grandmother relates the story of Juan Diego and the appearance of Our Lady of Guadalupe to him, an event which is celebrated every December in many roman Catholic parishes. I was confused by the LOC subject headings, most of which had "fiction" as a subfield.
Edward Sullivan
Lovely, simple version of the story of Juan Diego and his vision of the Virgin Mary in Mexico in 1531. Framing the narrative with the grandmother telling the story seems superfluous.
Shannon
As a Catholic (sort of) and a teacher of primarily Latino students, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'd never heard the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Now I have. I wanted more back matter.
Robin
Simple retelling of the story of Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe. I only wish Pat Mora had included a photograph of the tilma in the Basilica.
Jane
Read it with my boy. He loved it, he was so curious to know what happened, would Juan Diego be able to convince the bishop?
Jim
i never knew who this was or why the veneration- glad to have found this beautifully illustrated book.
Bri
Bri added it
Sep 21, 2014
Deem
Deem marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Pat Mora (born 1942) is a female Mexican-American author and poet. Pat Mora was born in El Paso, Texas. She is married and has 3 grown children.
More about Pat Mora...
Tomas and the Library Lady Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros Dona Flor: A Tall Tale About a Giant Woman with a Great Big Heart Gracias/Thanks Dizzy in Your Eyes: Poems about Love