Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)

Ginger (Dog Diaries #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Born in a puppy mill, Ginger the golden retriever looks back on her life and the various people who have "owned" her. Abruptly separated from her mother, littermates, and the wire cage that was her whole world, Ginger is shuttled from one harrowing situation to another until she finally escapes, living as an outlaw with a pack of wild dogs. But freedom doesn't feel so good...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ginger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginger

Brianna
This is a book about Ginger, a puppy born in a puppy mill. She is separated from her family, and adopted by a family with a 2 year old boy. He's excited, but they don't take care of Ginger very well, and one day when the boy hits Ginger on the head with a plastic hammer, she nips him just so he knows not to do it again. He's bawling, and the parents take Ginger to the animal shelter the next day. Next, she goes with a tall man who loves to run, and he's a very good owner, although his mother, ou...more
Ms. Yingling
This is the first book in the series, and it was very different from the second. Ginger in born in a puppy mill, where the runt of the litter dies, and is then taken to a pet store where she is bought by a family with a two year old, as a Christmas present. She spends a lot of time peeing on the carpet and chewing shoes until she takes a nip at the child and ends up at the shelter. There, a man who likes to run adopts her, and all goes well until the man's mother is sick, he leaves her in the ca...more
Gideon
if. I. had. ginger. I. think. he. would. be. a. perfect play. mate
Diane
Told from the perspective of a golden retriever puppy. We follow the life of Ginger from her beginning at a puppy mill through several "packs". The first family has a toddler who doesn't treat Ginger well. The second owner leaves Ginger in the hands of a careless dog walker and she takes off. Then she runs with strays for awhile until picked up by animal control. Then she's sent to an animal rescue farm where she is finally matched up with the family for her.

Pretty standard plot. No big surprise...more
E
What more could you ask for than entertaining AND educational about a really important topic?

This book struck all the right notes in examining the consequences of how ignorant or greedy people can cause suffering for innocent animals. The overriding message here is that animals should be acquired from shelters or reputable breeders and NOT puppy mills, and also that dogs, while wonderful companions, require responsibility and loving yet firm guidance. These messages are expressed in really strai...more
Book Sp(l)ot
Starting from Ginger's life as a puppy, with her littermates and mother and following her through all of her different residences and humans, Ginger (Dog Diaries #1) is told from Ginger's point of view. Seeing things through a puppy's eyes - and then a dog's as Ginger grows - is a unique way to look at things that we've likely either not looked twice at or never paid any attention to in the first place.

It's a great way to get the, sometimes heavy handed, message that Ginger has across. While it'...more
Nancy
Dog Diaries is a brand new series aimed at about middle grade readers and focuses on the life story of a particular dog as narrated by said dog. This first book is about Ginger, a Golden Retriever. Ginger tells her story starting with being born and raised in a puppy mill and a brief time at a pet shop, living with two different owners who couldn’t keep her for different reasons, then on to a period when she was a stray scrounging for food in trash cans. Soon Ginger finds herself at a no-kill sh...more
Athena Nagel
From what I have read of Kate Klimo's books - this book is very different from others that she has written. I love this book. What else can I say? First of all - everyone who knows me knows that I have a tough time walking away from any animal, particularly a dog in need. And my family is no help - they are just as emotional about it as me. At one point there were 7 forever dogs in my home! We are down to 5 and really need to not go any higher - but it is almost a daily struggle. Some animal is...more
Bridget Broyles
A great book Loved the story. I would definitely get the next book ginger is so silly and cute.
the book made me think about what i would do if i was a dog and it made me think i wouldn't do that if i where you. i'm glad ginger got a great home. i wish ginger was my dog. a great book even for adults if i didn't have a dog already this book would make me get one.
David
Did this as a read-aloud with my 7 year old Grandson, and finished it this morning. He lives in a family with a dog, three cats, a guinea pig, two goldfish and not long ago, two rats, so he has gotten to know animals quite well. He thought it was funny that I used a Tom Hanks/Forrest Gump voice for Ginger, and it seemed to suit the character well.

The story is well told, fast paced, and introduces children to the importance of being a responsible pet owner. Told from Ginger's perspective, it emp...more
It really is a dog diary! Written in 1st person in the dog's perspective. I enjoyed it. :)
Cassidy
I love the book but it was really really sad.
Amy
Apr 16, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
E
Diane Greiner
This is a great story that is written in the animal's perspective and voice. A child that enjoys reading books about animals will enjoy this series of books of which this is the first one. An added benefit this book provides is information about how to properly to choose and take care of pets that will be an integral part of your family. This is both useful for kids and adults as well. I will be adding this series of books to my school library.
Elaine Wang
Dog Diaries is a series that focuses on the life story of a particular dog who is the narrator of the story. The first book is about Ginger, a golden retriever who was born in a puppy mill. She has a number of different owners who cannot keep her for different reasons, then she lives as a stray dog before ending up in a shelter again. It includes information about golden retrievers, history, and rescue groups.

Michele Velthuizen
Super short and easy book about a golden retriever born into a litter of puppies in a puppy mill. The story is told from the point of view of the puppy Ginger and the life she leads before finally being adopted by a caring family. There is additional info about puppy mills and golden retrievers at the back of the book, as well as useful tips on how to select a dog When you're at a shelter.
Jayna
This book is great for animal lovers that don't mind a book that has a few very sad parts but also many happy ones too. I prefer her dog diaries to her horse diaries because they describe more about the dog. I think that Ginger is a great book and that you should read it. Don't worry, there's a happy ending. I like Ginger because I think it describes what a dog's life is all about.
Jessica
May 10, 2014 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: me
It was okay. I little different and a nice easy read. Not the most interesting or anything, but okay. The next three in the series are much more interesting stories and I love that they are based on the stories of real famous dogs.
Great Books
Ginger was born in a puppy mill and only wants a furever family. She doesn't always understand the way people think but knows there must be the perfect family somewhere for her. A heartwarming story with a great info section at the end. Reviewer 20
Annastone
I have to say that this is a very good book. All the suspenses in the book keeps you reading.
Debbie
This is the story of a puppy mill Golden Retriever and the adventures she has with different owners. It is a good book and gives information about Golden Retrievers.
Patricia
Alexandria
The pictures in this book are beautiful. I wanted to read this one, because ginger is a Golden Retreiver and I love Golden Retreivers.
Good dog book with a good message about puppy mills
Lil
very good book :)
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Aug 14, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1) The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2) Daughter of the Centaurs (Centauriad, #1) The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3) The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)