Start by marking “The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket” as Want to Read:
The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket

The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,296 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
There's nothing unusual about the Brockets. Normal, respectable, and proud of it, they turn up their noses at anyone strange or different. But from the moment Barnaby Brocket comes into the world, it's clear he's anything but ordinary. To his parents’ horror, Barnaby defies the laws of gravity - and floats.

Desperate to please his parents, Barnaby does his best to keep both
Published August 2nd 2012 by Doubleday Childrens

Lost and Found by Oliver JeffersStuck by Oliver JeffersHow to Catch a Star by Oliver JeffersThe Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver JeffersThe Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers
Best of Oliver Jeffers
15th out of 28 books — 11 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakBird by Crystal ChanThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenPaper Towns by John GreenThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Favourite book.
54th out of 209 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Mayra Sigwalt
Estou aqui, abraçada com esse livro. Só sei dizer que foi uma experiência maravilhosa. A história e as mensagens me tocaram muito e fiquei super emocionada.
Um livro que tem a premissa de um menino que é diferente, ele flutua. Já começou genial. E os desafios que ele passa e as pessoas que ele conhece, ensinam coisas pra ele e pra gente.
Livro que depois que acaba fica com a gente no coração!
Obrigada pelo presente, Vitor! Esse livro precisa mesmo ser espalhado para o mundo!
Joca
Sep 03, 2015 Joca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opinião breve em vídeo (aos 6:30):
Rita
May 26, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Só porque a tua versão de normal não é a mesma da versão de outra pessoa, isso não significa que se passa algo de errado contigo."

Opinião no blog:
Vitor Martins
Eu realmente não esperava que eu fosse gostar TANTO desse livro <3
Uma história muito linda, que fala sobre todo tipo de diferença e que passa uma mensagem linda de que tudo bem ser diferente.
Teoricamente é um livro infantil, mas eu recomendo pra todo mundo.
Um daqueles livros que aquece o coração e deixa a gente com um sorriso no rosto nas últimas páginas!
Adorei!
Sam
Apr 27, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book through a goodreads giveaway and hoped that it might spark a renewed interest in reading in my maths/science obsessed daughter. After reading the blurb and flicking through it she asked if we could read it together so we spent the weekend doing just that.
Barnaby Brocket is a boy who can float and goes on some adventures all around the world. It's a typical kids book, however it also has a hidden depth to it that perhaps not all younger readers will appreciate. It makes you quest
Reddish
Mar 19, 2016 Reddish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No recuerdo haberme reído y frustrado tanto a la vez con un libro. Ha sido genial. Tiene un toque cómico que se agracede, e incluso me recordaba a Matilda en ciertas ocasiones (una cucada de libro). Muy recomendable para pasar el rato echándote unas risas.

“Algunas personas simplemente no pueden aceptar algo que se escape a su experiencia.”
Kamalia
Dec 23, 2015 Kamalia rated it really liked it
This book was definitely interesting; meant for children but highly packed with valuable morals people of all ages need to be reminded of. The main moral: its perfectly fine to be different.

I've read Boyne's Noah Barleywater Runs Away, so I wasn't surprised with certain fantasy and illogical elements being written about. Being very used to YA and adult books though, I had to keep reminding myself that it's a children's book so its perfectly okay to read about a boy who can float and travels arou
Harun Harahap
Jan 15, 2014 Harun Harahap rated it it was amazing
“Just because your version of normal isn't the same as someone else's version doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you.”

Normal. Menurut KBBI adalah menurut aturan atau menurut pola yang umum; sesuai dan tidak menyimpang dari suatu norma atau kaidah; sesuai dengan keadaan yang biasa; tanpa cacat; tidak ada kelainan.

Dari buku ini kita belajar tentang "kenormalan' tersebut. Bagaimana setiap orang mendefinisikan kata normal. Sesuatu dibilang normal, ketika sekumpulan atau banyak orang bers
Ryan
Jul 28, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-9-12
There is a Japanese proverb that states: "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down." This practically sums up the view Barnaby Brocket's parents take on his complete disregard for the Laws of Gravity. It really doesn't matter that he's a caring and intelligent boy. He draws attention to himself. And that's not normal. And what isn't normal is just bad and completely unlovable under any circumstance, thank you very much.

I was looking forward to reading this book (mainly due to the the cover).
Cora Tea Party Princess
This is quite a sad book.

To read it as an adult had me close to tears. That Barnaby's parents could be so awful, could resent him so much...

But if I'd read this as a child I think it would have been a wonderful adventure. To float, to go anywhere, to inadvertently travel the world and meet so many different characters, it would have been wonderful.

This book teaches some great lessons - the most important are that it's not wrong to be different and that everyone has their own definition of normal
Dulce Espinosa
Jun 04, 2015 Dulce Espinosa rated it it was amazing
"Fue entonces cuando se dio cuenta de que le gustaba ser diferente. A fin de cuentas, era así como había nacido. Era quien se suponía que tenía que ser. No podía permitir que lo cambiaran."

éste libro es para esa gente que piensa que es normal y critica a todo aquel que consideran "anormal" "raro" pues qué mensos! éste libro es para ustedes! jajaja es un libro para niños, sí, pero son de los que más me gusta leer, son tan honestos.
Hay muchaaaaaaaaas cosas que me gustaron de este libro, no sé por
Serendipity Reviews
Sep 06, 2012 Serendipity Reviews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
The terrible thing that happened to Barnaby Brocket, wasn't really a terrible thing in my eyes, because it made him see how truly special he was. OK, his mother went against any scrap of maternal instinct she might have had and didn't really lose any sleep over what she did, but to be honest, Barnaby was much better off with out his parents.
Barnaby was exceptional, clever, mature and thoughtful; the kind of child you would love and adore. The only thing that made him different from other childr
Darren Hartwell
Jan 04, 2013 Darren Hartwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, comedy
This review first appeared on The Book Zone(For Boys) blog

Is there no end to the talent of John Boyne?

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas = incredible!

Noah Barleywater Runs Away = amazing!

If you have read either of Boyne's previous books for younger readers then you will know what to expect from Barnaby Brocket - a heart warming and uplifting tale that will tug mercilessly at your heartstrings, with some pretty heavy themes that are woven into the story with humour and deftness of touch that make th
Teresa
Aug 10, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Barnaby Brocket is no ordinary boy as he defies the laws of gravity, floating off if he isn't physically restrained. His parents cannot accept his differences and go to extreme lengths to keep him grounded, physically and mentally. One day, Barnaby floats away and you hope he will experience better examples of humanity once freed from the suffocating normality of his earth-bound family.

Before I got the opportunity to "meet" Barnaby he was kidnapped by my two children, aged 8 and 12, and both wer
Hizatul
Feb 01, 2016 Hizatul rated it it was amazing
4.6/5 bc of how magnificent the whole story is. i really fond of reading children book like this which makes me thinking not as a grown up but as a human being.
Maitane
Jan 02, 2014 Maitane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
"Un chico que estaba preparado para conocer a gente nueva.
Un chico que quería vivir aventuras nuevas.
Y lo principal, un chico que estaba orgulloso de ser diferente."
AV Sheerio
Apr 27, 2014 AV Sheerio rated it really liked it
Comenzaré con un: este libro es un aventura de altura.

No quisiera sonar igual que la película UP: UNA AVENTURA DE ALTURA, pero tiene mucho sentido describir este libro de esa manera.

La historia nos habla de Barnaby un niño que desobedece a la ley de gravedad y simplemente lo hace elevándose por los aires.

Sus padres son unas personajes muy prejuiciosas y les importa lo que los demás piensen de ellos así que tener un hijo que vuela no es algo con lo que quieran liar.

Así por cosas d
Rachel Shedden
Jul 21, 2012 Rachel Shedden rated it it was amazing
I don't really know what else to say apart from, I LOVE this book! It's just one of those rare novels that's heart-warming and sweet in every way possible. You really shouldn't be put off by the almost childish cover (in my opinion, it's so cute!) because this book shouldn't be missed by anybody! It's definitely a book that can be enjoyed by all ages!

One thing I adored about this book, is that it reminded me so much of Roald Dahl's books! And who doesn't love Roald Dahl?! Yet again just let me s
Betsy
Oct 23, 2012 Betsy rated it liked it
I was drawn to this book because I like quirky stories, and I'm a huge fan of Oliver Jeffers (the illustrator). And this book started out great! Poor Barnaby Brockett, born to terrible parents, sibling to two very ordinary kids, and master to one devoted dog. The book reads much as a classic Roald Dahl book might (complete with TERRIBLE parents!), and Jeffers's illustrations add a similar touch as Quentin Blake's might.

And yet, the book gets both more absurd and a trifle more boring in the secon
e.c.h.a
dari anak-anak lah, kita belajar banyak hal

John Boyne, kembali membuktikannya. Dengan menampilkan sosok anak laki-laki berusia 8 tahun bernama Barnaby Brocket, seorang anak yang sejak lahir tubuhnya sudah melawan gravitasi.

Dari petualangan yang tidak sengaja Ia alami, Barnaby menemukan banyak hal ajaib di dunianya, bahkan Ia tanpa sadar telah mengajari banyak orang disekitarnya dengan pemikiran-pemikiran sederhananya.

Barnaby selalu berusaha bersikap normal, agar Ia bisa diterima keluarganya y
Elise
Jan 11, 2015 Elise rated it liked it
Durante casi todo el libro tuve la sensación de que Barnaby era una versión contemporánea de "El Principito", nada muy alejado de las increíbles aventuras que tuvo Principito a las que tuvo Barnaby. Sin embargo, aquellos aspectos en los que discierne este libro hará que quien haya llevado una vida familiar o social tortuosa y llena de prejuicios se sienta identificado. Para aquellas personas cuyos padres, hermanos o conocidos les hayan hecho sentir inferiores o anormales por ser la versión que g ...more
Tim
May 10, 2016 Tim rated it it was amazing
apesar de ser um livro para jovens adultos acho que consegue transmitir uma mensagem forte. A verdade é que todos somos diferentes e devemos aceitar essas diferenças, BARNABY apercebe - se que é especial mas o que ele quer é o amor dos pais. O que odiei de morte foram os pais... mas mais não digo

Suzanne
Apr 08, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" (...) ¿Viven allí vuestros maridos?-
-¿Maridos? -preguntó Ethel, y miró a Marjorie horrorizada.
-¿Maridos? -bramó Marjorie, y clavo la mirada en Ethel como si alguien acabara de amenazarla con sentarse en su cabeza.
-No tenemos marido, jovencito -le explicó Ethel-. Esas criaturas asquerosas y malolientes. Siempre zanganeando como inútiles, Beben, apuestan en las carreras, buscan excusas para no arreglar las estanterías torcidas de la cocina. Hacen unos ruidos de lo más repugnantes y emiten olore
Tatyana Naumova
Космос и финал не очень хороши, а все остальное на уровне
Kerry Bridges
Jul 26, 2015 Kerry Bridges rated it it was amazing
The Brockets are a completely normal Australian family. They have 2 children and a dog and they definitely don't want people to look at them differently. When Barnaby is born he floats. Mr and Mrs Brocket really don't want to deal with that so one day, they let Barnaby go and, before he comes home again he goes on many exciting adventures.

This is a lovely book for children. I have been reading some quite heavy going, serious books for some time and I just wanted something for light relief so I p
Cristiana de Sousa
Dec 17, 2015 Cristiana de Sousa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Foi o primeiro livro deste autor que li e que melhor forma de começar. É daqueles livros que dá vontade de sair na rua e destribui-lo por toda a gente. Toda a gente deveria ler esta historia e nunca esquecer que temos que aceitar as nossas diferenças, porque são elas que nos tornam especiais.
 A Lorena Sánchez muñoz
Jun 02, 2015 A Lorena Sánchez muñoz rated it really liked it
Boyne sabe bien como partirle el corazon y restaurarlo a personas como yo. Gran historia
Alvaro Acevedo Barrios
Primer libro del año y ¡Qué buen libro! A pesar de ser un libro infantil me gustó mucho!
Sofia  Oliveira
4.5/5 estrelas

Este livro acompanhou a minha noite de passagem de ano e, digo-vos, se a leitura deste livro for um presságio do que 2016 tem para me trazer (que eu espero que sim) vai ser um ano brilhante!

Ouvi falar deste livro, pela 1ª vez, no canal da Joca (do Little House of Books, se quiserem procurar), algures no verão, e ele ficou-me no pensamento desde então! Recebi-o no Natal e não consegui esperar! Quando o comecei a ler já não me lembrava do que a Joca tinha dito no vídeo e, por isso,
Lily
Mar 28, 2016 Lily rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, children-s, 2015
A sweet, whimsical little story about a boy who floats. Totally my sort of thing! I think I would have very much adored it when I was younger, despite how there were a lot of references and nods to things I don't think children would even have noticed. The supporting cast of characters was diverse and interesting, each with different voices and stories, and I loved how each place felt different and new, but it was a shame that Barnaby himself (and his family) were so flat and boring in compariso ...more
  • The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • Bag in the Wind
  • Azufre y Sal
  • 放浪息子 7
  • Il mio inverno a Zerolandia
  • The Professor of Truth
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • Max
  • Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
John Boyne (born 30 April 1971 in Dublin) is an Irish novelist.

He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and studied Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia, where he won the Curtis Brown prize. In 2015, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by UEA.

John Boyne is the author of nine novels for adults and five for young readers, as well as a collection of short stories.

His nove
More about John Boyne...

“(J)ust because your version of normal isn't the same as someone else's version doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you.” 40 likes
“It is possible, you know, to drift off to an unknown world and find happiness there. Maybe even more happiness than you've ever known before.” 25 likes