Start by marking “A Pet Named Sneaker” as Want to Read:
A Pet Named Sneaker

A Pet Named Sneaker

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Fifty years after the publication ofRobert the Rose Horse comes Joan Heilbroner's second Beginner Book—A Pet Named Sneaker,with illustrations by Pascal Lemaitre.A madcap tale reminiscent of The Cat in the Hat, Go, Dog. Go!, and A Fish Out of Water, Sneaker is the story of a pet-store snake who longs for a real home. When he is finally adopted by Pete—a young boy charmed by ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Pet Named Sneaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pet Named Sneaker

Anna
Mar 01, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love snakes and so does my sister I love this book,it is a good book and cute.
Melissa
Mar 16, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun new easy reader in the Dr. Seuss beginner books series-- it made Hank laugh. Easy readers that really entertain are rare.
Tasha
Feb 12, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sneaker was a snake who lived in a pet store and wanted to be taken home. But no one seemed interested in a snake until one day Pete came into the store and noticed how special Sneaker was and decided to take him home. The two invented games together, forming handcuffs and a hat out of Sneakers’ flexible body. Then one day Pete had to go to school. Sneaker didn’t want to be left behind, so he slithered into Pete’s backpack. Once they got to school, Sneaker proved to be a great snake ambassador, ...more
April
Aug 28, 2014 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that my son liked this book as much as he did because he isn't particularly interested in snakes, but the snake has some pretty charming facial expressions and I enjoyed the book, too.

One warning though toward the end of the book Sneaker saves a boy from drowning and I was surprised. Cause the baby was right by the water and it was Sneaker and not the lifeguard who saved him so I just wanted to give a heads up that this book could spur some discussions about water safety.
Habrewer
Aug 31, 2013 Habrewer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lilly-read
A Pet Named Sneaker by Joan Heilbroner
*Review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Dr. Seuss books are some of our favorite books around our house and this book is no different. Sneaker has been living in a pet store but he longs to have a home and a family to love him. His dreams come true when he is adopted by Pete and he goes home with him. He is a fun pet that can change his shape, he likes to sneak into Pete’s backpack so he can go to school and he lo
Paula
Sep 22, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
No one wants to adopt Sneaker the Snake from the pet store until a little boy named Pete buys Sneaker. Pete and Sneaker have fun times. Sneaker cleverly sneaks into Pete's school and during “Show and Tell” Sneaker becomes a hit with the kids in Pete's class. Sneaker even learns how to read. During summer vacation, Sneaker accompanies Pete to the swimming pool and despite the “No Pets” sign, Sneaker hides near the pool. He becomes a hero when he saves a baby from drowning. Sneaker is appointed an ...more
Jordan
Apr 24, 2014 Jordan rated it liked it
This was really more of a two-star read for me... until the last page.

Otherwise, the plot is disjointed, the ginger-child disconcerting, and the snake oddly rendered, both physically and emotionally. I mean, the necktie-hat-HANDCUFFS transition seemed a little quick to me.

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Samantha Kimsey
Jun 03, 2013 Samantha Kimsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: primary-books
Did you ever want a pet snake?
Sneaker is a very sad snake who wants someone, anyone to adopt him. Finally a boy named Pete walked into the pet store and Sneaker was just the pet he wanted.
Pete and sneaker were best friends sneaker is great he can move his body into any shape.
Pete had to go school and this made Sneaker very sad. Sneaker decided to hide in Pete's backpack. At school Sneaker was peaking out of Pete's backpack and a another student saw Pete.
Sneaker loved school he learned his ABC's
•Carrie•
Very surprised that this has The Cat in the Hat Beginner Books stamp on it. Usually the books are somewhat engaging and educational. This one really falls flat. Very disappointed!
Kristine
May 04, 2015 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book about a snake named sneaker and his want to be taken home from the pet store. I think many children will really enjoy it as it is an easy reader.
Alice
Jun 26, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
A fine basic early reader. Was I in love with it..not really, but it is good with the repetition, and concepts.
Maria Bulfamante
Feb 05, 2015 Maria Bulfamante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't really read and books before by this author, so when I read it, I found I really liked his books.
Samantha
Feb 06, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
Sneaker is a pet snake who used to live in a pet store, but now has a new home and a new best friend, Pete. One day, Sneaker hides out in Pete's backpack and goes to school! At first, not everyone is a fan of Sneaker, but he wins the class over one brave kid at a time. It's not long until Sneaker goes to school everyday and learns to write his name and excels at spelling. It's during Summer though that Sneaker really shines. He heroically rescues a baby from the bottom of the swimming pool and b ...more
Cmeiss330
Dec 11, 2014 Cmeiss330 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet, cute and unique book! I loved it.
Great Books
Mar 01, 2013 Great Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ages-5-8
Sneaker the snake lives in a pet store until a boy named Pete takes him home. When Pete goes to school, the sneaky snake hides in his backpack, and ends up in Show-and-Tell! Pete brings him to school every day after that, and they learn to read together. One hot day at the pool Sneaker reads a sign that says "NO PETS!" so he sadly hides behind a rock to watch. Suddenly, a small boy falls in, and Sneaker rescues him! Early readers will love this story, with its appealing characters and colorful, ...more
Monique Welch
A funny hero!
Carol
Jun 25, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Sneaker is a snake in a pet shop. A snake that nobody wants to take home, no matter how clever he is. until one day when a young boy named Pete decides to buy the slithery creature. Sneaker is the perfect pet! They play all sorts of fun games and even go to school together. Then one day, Pete goes somewhere pets are not allowed. Sneaker hides behind a rock until he is forced to break the rule to save the day!
Katie
Jul 13, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
IIII
Nancy
May 26, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sneaker is a snake who lived in a pet store. Day after day he watched as people came in and took the other animals home. Nobody wanted a snake. Until one day when a young boy came in and fell in love with Sneaker. They had lots of fun playing together. When the boy has to go to school, Sneaker hides in his backpack. What will happen when Sneaker is found at school?
Becky
Sep 29, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2013
A Pet Named Sneaker is a fun beginner book. Most of the adventures occur out of the pet store. Readers see Sneaker at home with Pete, attending school with Pete, accompanying him to the swimming pool in the summer, etc. Sneaker is quite a pet! This pet snake even learns to read...

I liked this one. It definitely has more of a story to it than you might suspect.
Sandi Roe
Nov 06, 2013 Sandi Roe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lap-sit
This book is great! I shortened it for my lap sit story time and just ended it after Sneaker learned to spell his name. It held the kids attention,but I was afraid it would be too long for the attention span of young children, if I had read the complete book.
kate
Apr 16, 2013 kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute easy-reader about a boy named Pete and his pet snake, Sneaker. Would recommend to Kindergarten students.
Ms. B
Sep 01, 2013 Ms. B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, 2013
Story about a boy and his pet snake. Reminiscent of the Morris and Boris books by Bernard Wiseman.
Slytano
Feb 26, 2013 Slytano rated it it was ok
Shelves: easy-reader
A mundane easy reader. Whatever.
Brindi
Apr 22, 2013 Brindi rated it liked it
this is kind of cute....
Amy Mccarty
Apr 24, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Okay, Andy!
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • Dixie
  • Spark
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • Toilet: How It Works
  • My Happy Life
  • Sophie's Fish
  • Diary of a Worm: Teacher's Pet (I Can Read!, Level 1)
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!