Start by marking “Guitar Notes” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  3,213 ratings  ·  563 reviews
A "sweet story of two different loners finding their counterpoint" (School Library Journal) from a star of state master and children's choice lists making her YA debut. Clean YA with the emotional resonancy of John Green and Sarah Dessen.

Published July 24th 2012 by EgmontUSA (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Guitar Notes, please sign up.

Avery hmmm it depends on what you mean by difficult I would recommend for no younger than about Junior High for difficulty because it's a bit advanced.
Ally I nearly cried. I think I would've cried if I hadn't been reading it in the middle of class.
Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireWallbanger by Alice ClaytonOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungHopeless by Colleen Hoover
True Stand Alones Worth Reading
417th out of 695 books — 911 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDear Teddy by J.D.  StockholmGoodbye Teddy by J.D.  StockholmStupid Boy by J.D.  StockholmTelling Teddy by J.D.  Stockholm
Beautifully Written
185th out of 237 books — 160 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
3,5 stars

In this book two high school students who don't really know each other are brought together because of their love for music.For the main part this book was a surprisingly funny, entertaining, enjoyable and light read. The other (luckily rather short) remaining part is just a shame and bad choice of twist in the story.

Lyla is (for outsiders) the perfect girl who plays the cello effortless. She started playing after the death of her mom. Lyla is extremely talented but pushed by her fathe
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I'm weak! But before I tell you why I should start from beginning. Ha! Nope I'm not teasing. Beginning meaning the blurb cause I simply love it. I'm that one person who always complains how blurbs reveal to much but this one is perfect it has enough info to get you interested in the book but still doesn't tell you anything at the same time.

Now I'm coming to that me-weak part. Yeah I really am, cause it doesn't take much (for a book at least) to go under my s
Melissa Frye
What Drew Me to This Book?

Music. I love music. My music tastes range from heavy metal to classical and most points in-between. Hand me a book that features two extremes of the medium, throw in characters with opposite personalities and I’m hooked.
Synopsis taken from book:

On odd days, Tripp Broody uses a school practice room to let loose on a borrowed guitar. Eyes closed, strumming that beat-up instrument, Tripp escapes to a world where only the music matters.

On even days, Lyla Marks uses the s
Mitch
I get the feeling Mary Amato had the concept for Guitar Notes in her head when she started writing and knew how she wanted to end things, but didn't have a specific plot in mind. That's the only way I can explain how this book doesn't go anywhere until the plot finally falls off a cliff towards the end. I mean, the majority of this book's a pretty sweet story of a slow friendship between two very different people, but there's no movement to it really, and when there finally is, I'm wondering wha ...more
Katy
3.5 stars - I really wish GR had half stars. (Rolling Credit Song: Sum 41's "With Me")

WHAT THE HELL?!? I would have given this book five stars had it not been for the end.

The book started off really, really strong for a cute, light read. I'm not usually a fan of short, choppy transitions, but for some reason, it worked in this book. I thought Amato did a great job switching between Tripp's and Lyla's points of view, and the abrupt flow kind of reflected their quick, snappish responses to each ot
Sara
I found this book to be quite enjoyable! It starts off with Tripp getting his guitar taken away by his mom until he can get his grades up. But the guitar is the only thing he feels he has and needs. So he signs up to get practice time in the school music room and use a guitar the school has in storage. Here is where he gets to know Lyla. He has odd days and she has even days. They start writing notes back and forward, and eventually become friends. She starts using the guitar, and he knows it, a ...more
Ishi
~4 musical stars~

Meet Tripp Broody, (AKA Mr. Odd)
The pages open, and we see Tripp Broody, the school's odd boy's clock-radio alarm waking him up. He sees a note on his bedside from his mom, telling that his guitar, his beloved guitar, has been confiscated from him! Her mom like a Termite, eats up his soul, eats up his guitar, his life! How will he survive without it?!

Meet Lyla Marks, (AKA Ms. Even)
Lyla Marks, school's perfect chippery girl, the main cellist, isn't really happy. She's going thro
Purvika
Synopsis:

A heartwarming story about an unlikely friendship forged between a straight-A, classical musician and a bad-boy guitar player told through notes, lyrics, texts, and narration.

My Review:

Guitar Notes is a refreshing story about blossoming friendship and love for music, about choices and its effects on you and around you.

WARNING
If you haven't read the book please don't go ahead and read ....huge spoiler alert....
(view spoiler)
Rebecca
Love the story of the high school kids and how they take charge of their lives. This book for teens is a reminder for me as a parent that we can't protect our kids from everything and sometimes it's not even a good idea to try. Parents can be obstacles to their kids' efforts to become who they are.

I like the stuff I learn along the way in Mary Amato's books. This one has information about music and science (painless, interesting, part of the story). Invisible Lines has science I still think abo
Mckinlay
this book was sooooo good. even though the parents pissed me off! music can help and heal so much and i just,sigh, i just loved this book. this is the type of book that makes me want to go out and create something!

love, love, LOVE!
Shatavia C
This book is amazing for it to have only just 272 pages in it. The main characters in this book are Ms.Even and she is a band teacher and she teaches a lot of kids how to play instruments,and is trying to help the school donate new instruments so that everyone inside the school can have really cool instruments to play,and another main character in this book is Lyla Marks,and this guy named Tripp who
both really like each other,and they both are in the same band class together,and they try to kee
K
Layla and Tripp start off the story as two ships passing in the practice rooms of the music department at school. Layla’s a recognized perfect girl and the cello is one of her mediums. Tripp is a loner who just had his guitar confiscated by his fed up mother. Layla uses the practice room during lunch on even days. She spends most of that time eating slowly and staring down the cello she doesn’t really want to be playing. Tripp uses the room at lunch on odd days. He was able to snag a school guit ...more
ɐʇʇɐd
Tripp und Lyla könnten nicht unterschiedlicher sein. Er ist ein gitarrenvernarrter Außenseiter, immer einen lockeren Spruch auf den Lippen. Sie ist die beste Cello-Spielerin ihrer Schule, die sämtliche Talentwettbewerbe gewinnt, dafür aber auch unter dem Druck ihres Vaters steht. Nachdem die gemeine Termite (aka Tripps Mutter) ihm seine Gitarre wegnimmt, weil er sich angeblich nur noch mit dem Saiteninstrument und weniger mit seinen Hausaufgaben beschäftigen würde, muss Tripp sich was anderes ei ...more
Len Vlahos
A beautiful loves story. The feeling of it reminded me of the late 70s/early 80s Laurence Olivier film with a very young Diane Lane called "A Little Romance." Just a great story of star-crossed soul mates. And really, an ode to music, the guitar, and songwriting.
♥TaylorSquared♥
It's cute and fun. No romance involved. This is such a great book and a book to read after you finish one book and want to be in that happy mood still.
Claire
This is more like 5 stars for the first 225 pages, 2 stars for the last 40 when it pulled out every sappy cliche in the book. But I wouldn't have been so mad about that if the rest hadn't been so good.
Zemira Warner
How wonderful! I feel like I'm floating on a pink fluffy cloud.

Full review to come.
Sakshi Agarwal
a sweet simple story .
Loved it
Its short, its binding and its lovely.
Madonna
I LOVED the characters in this book, specifically Tripp. I can completely relate to and appreciate his sarcasm. I enjoyed the slow but natural process their friendship blossomed into. I also like that there was never a romantic connection, necessarily, but instead a deep and profound soul connection. Thrumming... Ahhhhh... to be young and so misunderstood. I did not like how similar the ending was to If I Stay. However, I loved this book much more than If I Stay and had I read this one first I w ...more
Lauren
Kaity
Mar 04, 2015 Kaity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Rifda
Menyebalkan! Novel ini harus diadaptasi jadi film! Visualisasinya pasti sederhana tapi manis ^^

Aku (sangat) suka Tripp.. dan awalnya aku benci ibunya, sama seperti aku membenci ayah Lyla. Tapi setelah dipikir-pikir lagi.. baik ibu Tripp maupun ayah Lyla, mereka hanya melaksanakan apa yang menurut mereka harus dilakukan oleh orang tua. Bagaimana dengan Lyla? Awalnya aku suka karakternya, lalu aku membencinya karena dia (si nona sempurna) bisa dekat dengan Tripp (yang keren), tapi kemudian aku men
Robyn Jones
by Mary Amato
314 pages
Publisher: EgmontUSA (7/24/12)
downloaded from the local library
5 STARS

Tripp Broody is not a bad kid. He's not even apathetic. He has simply allowed himself one love, his guitar. As a result, his mother decides he needs more in life and takes his love away. Lyla Marks lies nonstop, but not the way you're thinking. Lyla doesn't want to disappoint the people she cares about, so she pretends. She plasters on smiles and offers the right words. She plays her cello per
Smriti
To any music lover, the title sounds appealing and most of the descriptions you read just reiterate that feeling. This book focuses on two young people who live for the music they make. Two brilliant, outstanding, troubled kids. Both have their own issues to deal with and as they come together to rediscover their love for music, they also help one another overcome these problems.
At the beginning, it’s clear that the two protagonists are as different as two people can be but as the story progres
Vicki
A beautiful story about the passion two people in particular have for music. "Mr. Odd" plays guitar and "Ms. Even" plays cello. The way music and guitar notes bring them together is simply amazing.

There is humor, sadness, heart-felt emotions. A little of everything.

Recommendation: I wanted to read this mainly because my granddaughter plays guitar, but the "guitar notes" were not at all what I though! I strongly recommend this moving book, especially if you love music.
Phoebe
May 01, 2014 Phoebe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Phoebe by: Deborah
A sweet tale of friendship and growth, told through notes, straight narrative, and texts, emails, and lyrics. Perfect Lyla Marks gets good grades and is an amazing cellist, taking after her famous mother, who drowned in an airplane accident. But what she can't quite admit to herself, her dad, and her high-maintenance friend Annie, is that she isn't happy. Tripp Broody is devastated when his mother (also high-maintenance) takes his guitar away when she worries he is addicted to playing. She doesn ...more
Kristina Brownell
Beautifully simple young adult novel. I devoured it in a couple hours. I actually loved it and wish I owned it! The part that music plays is unique and enchanting for someone like me who doesn't have a music background. The "thrumming" theory is such a lovely concept and on a basic level, I totally believe it. This book has continued to buzz around in my head for days.

Side note: Little sis, I think you would love this one.
Tash
Tripp is whiny he's like a girl. Somehow he'd rather fix someone's stuff than his own. He doesn't consider what his mom is saying and goes on bitching about it and pulling pranks on her. He's childish.

Lyla has it all but doesn't really want it anymore. She was a bad friend. If you have a problem, you tell your friend and explain. Friends are there to make your life easier and bearable during the teen years. Lyla puts too much on herself. She has a choice and she usually takes the harder one.

They
Kerri
What a wonderfully sweet book with a wonderfully sweet ending. Brought tears to my eyes. And did you know that you can go to the website www.thrumsociety.com and hear all of Lyla's and Tripp's music sung by recording artists? It really made the story come alive when I listened to their songs. I will definitely be telling my students about that when I put this book in their hands!
  • Rock On
  • Struts & Frets
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Ostrich Boys
  • The Vinyl Princess
  • After Hello
  • Grandmaster: A Novel
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
  • Supergirl Mixtapes
  • Call Me Miss J.
  • The Kiss Off (The Kiss Off, #1)
  • So Punk Rock: And Other Ways to Disappoint Your Mother
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Falling Under
  • Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
  • I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister
  • Not Pretty Enough (Not Pretty Enough, #1)
  • Love and Haight
Born January 3, 1961, in Belvidere, IL; grew up in Libertyville, Illinois; married Ivan Amato (a science writer); children: Maxwell, Simon. Pets: Sorry, none! Favorite food: Chocolate.

I studied special education and dance at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. In graduate school, I studied fiction writing and poetry at Johns Hopkins University in Washington, DC.
More about Mary Amato...
The Naked Mole-Rat Letters The Word Eater Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook Invisible Lines Please Write in This Book

“Maybe it explains the reason why one person likes another. It's because their souls both thrum at the same frequency.” 48 likes
“You do realize that you are a termite. You are eating through my soul.” 29 likes