The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  5,290 ratings  ·  328 reviews
The long-awaited cookbook from the food-blogging phenomenon Deb Perelman -- home cook, mom, photographer, and celebrated author of SmittenKitchen.com.

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook is all about uncompromised, but utterly approachable, home cooking: comfort foods stepped up, birthday cakes from scratch, stews for winter afternoons, and an apple cake that will answer all your...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Appetite by Random House (first published January 1st 2012)

Riya
I am giving this cookbook 5 stars not only because it was an excellent cookbook with easy directions and colorfully detailed pictures, but because it made me want to attempt to bake again! I will admit right now that although I do enjoy cooking, a baker I am not, and it is only once a year that I will attempt to bake even a dozen cookies. This book, however, changed all of that.

I first requested this book (I must mention that I received this wonderful cookbook through a goodreads giveaways conte...more
Caroline
This is currently becoming one of my favorite cookbooks that I own. Everything I have tried (which is a lot) from this cookbook has been fantastic and solid and quite delicious. Her little "stories" before each recipe are entertaining and a joy to read. The pictures are perfect, and each recipe is written well, tested, and easy to follow. A great, great book.
Virginia Campbell
Award-winning food blogger Deb Perelman shares her fun & fabulous food and photos in "The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook". Using her natural cooking intuition, ceaseless curiosity, and expansive imagination, the author has created a wonderfully inviting culinary world in the space of her tiny kitchen. Sharing food preparation tips, and stories and photos for each recipe, Deb Perelman adds her own flair to user-friendly ingredients. While I found much to enjoy in each chapter of the book, the "Brea...more
Sara
Yes, this counts as reading, because each recipe is preceded by Deb's lovable writing about her life, her family, and her food. And because the introduction and end material are Deb all over: funny, self-deprecating, full of excitement and good cheer, and more than anything encouraging for anyone who wants to cook but is afraid that time or energy or skill or knowledge will keep them from being able to.

And also because I curled up and spent a good hour paging slowly through it, reading every wor...more
Melanie
I don't think I had ever read a cookbook cover-to-cover before this one, but Deb Perelman's book is as addictive as her blog. I want to make EVERYTHING but so far have only made the 'sweet peas and shells alfredo,' which were easy and delicious. This is really everything a good cookbook should be: clear, realistic, AND aspirational. I also appreciate that Deb keeps her stories light and her humor self-deprecating - it's a cookbook not a memoir, after all. Another thing - the book is even prettie...more
Allison
I want to cook like 90% of the things in here. Since some of the recipes are also on her blog I can tell you that the salted brown butter rice crispy treats are to die for and the mushroom bourguignon is good, probably even delicious if you love mushrooms (I do not). For recipes that are totally new, I tried making the swiss chard and white bean pot pies (sans pancetta) last night and they were fabulous. And I am dying to make the apple cider caramels.
Cynthia
Completely drool-worthy. Good clear instructions. Wonderful large color photos. Off to make beer braised short ribs right this second. Don't try and stop me.
Kristin Shafel Omiccioli
I have been following the smitten kitchen blog for years and have made several of Deb Perelman's recipes, a few of which have become staples in our house—mushroom bourguignon, roast chicken with dijon sauce, lemony zucchini goat cheese pizza—and I can't wait to dig in to even more here in her cookbook. It is about two-thirds savory, one-third sweets, and all of it looks absolutely delicious. Perelman has a warmth and familiarity in her communication, and a way of making you feel welcome in her w...more
Alison
What a lovely cookbook, full of delicious recipes that for the most part, aren't too daunting. There are headnotes and color photos for every recipe, and the book is divided into several sections - including two for mains, meat and veggie - and she has some great info at the start of the book and in the appendix. At a glance you might think that these recipes would call for high-end ingredients, but that's not necessarily the case, and this comes across. The author has the same "real life" type...more
Erin
So many great recipes in this book! And bizarrely, the ones that caught my eye were all savories, and mostly salads, at that. The chocolate brioche pretzels look amazing, though.

Wonderfully put together with a great blend of pictures and recipes and a little blurb of text for each recipe. If you like the blog, you'll love the book. If you haven't read the blog, I think you'll love the book anyway; it's one of the best I've seen in a while.
Jill
I had been anxiously awaiting this, and Deb Perelman did not disappoint. I read (devoured?) the recipes cover to cover, and could hardly keep myself from pulling out every pot and pan in the kitchen to try them all immediately. As expected, gorgeous photographs and clear, encouraging directions.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Beautiful book from one of the world's most popular food bloggers. Stunning photography and 100 innovative yet comforting dishes. See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies....
Natalie
I love this cookbook and read it like a novel in one evening. I love the little blurbs at the beginning of each recipe and the photography is gorgeous.
Sarah Eiseman
Deb Perelman is the creator of The Smitten Kitchen, a fabulous blog on food and her cooking shenanigans in New York City. This blog (and now book are fabulous if you like pictures of different steps during food prep. Like The Pioneer Woman, Perelman is also a photographer. The pictures in this book are fantastic and the recipes are delicious. I made the Cheddar Swirl Buns (like a savory cinnamon roll), the Apricot Breakfast Crisp (I made mine with peaches and it turned out fine), and I plan on m...more
Meredith
What a gorgeous book from one of my favorite bloggers (who also happens to be one of my favorite sources for awesome recipes)! I was thrilled when I heard that she would be putting out a cookbook, and this truly lived up to my expectations. There are photos and notes and chatty introductions accompanying each recipe. Yep, there are a few strange recipes...I don't really understand the popcorn cookies...but there are so many promising ones that I don't really care.
Heather
I won this cookbook as a Goodreads giveaway and I was so excited! I follow Deb's blog, The Smitten Kitchen and to have all of her best recipes at my fingertips is just amazing. I cannot wait to make all of her scrumptious creations, especially the hazelnut crepe cake! Definitely not a book for people looking for quick, easy recipes, but if you want to get a little creative in the kitchen and have the time, this one is for you!
Exapno Mapcase
This is a Goodreads First Reads review.

This is a great collection of recipes brought together with a warm sense of humor. The recipes are well laid out and the ingredients list shows the measurements in both imperial and metric, something that is not often done. Her goal is just to have fun cooking, so there is no running around looking for rare ingredients. It just makes you want to get together with friends and family.
Deidre
I love this cookbook. A good variety of classics, variations on classics, and interesting new ideas. Ranges in level of difficulty - this is not geared for people who never cook, but they could figure it out if they needed to - and for those of us who cook often, it's not oversimplified so much that we're bored. I can't wait to try out so many of these recipes!
Kat
I have never been so entertained by a cookbook! Not only do I want to cook 90% of Deb's recipes (popcorn cookies? I am so there), but her wit, charm, and humor come through every recipe description. I plan to be a dedicated blog follower after working my way through her recipes!
Sara
There is nothing in here that I don't want to eat. Deb Perelman has even talked me into the recipes I was initially unsure of. She is such an engaging writer! I can't wait to get cracking on some of these delicious dishes post-Thanksgiving.
Gina Enk
Love this! This book makes me laugh, makes me want to cook and makes me happy. Beautiful photography and great writing. So glad I'll be meeting the author at a signing event later this month!
Mary
Deb's blog is lovely, as are all of the recipes I've tried - not one bad apple in the pile! This cookbook looks like one delight after another, and I can't wait to get started.
Lisa

Love this cookbook. I want to make the emmentaler on rye with sweet and sour red onions right now! It looks like French onion soup in sandwich form!
Why yes, I did basically read this cover to cover. Can't wait to make so many of these recipes!
Goodreader
I started going to smittenkitchen.com about two years ago because I needed a cake recipe. I found the chocolate peanut butter cake recipe (the softest, deepest chocolate cake combined with a sweet, cream cheese peanut butter frosting and topped with a semi-sweet (or dark chocolate) ganache) and I was hesitant to attempt this cake because it looked difficult. However, Perelman makes even the most difficult things wildly simple. She never leaves out important details nor does she neglect to tell y...more
Erin Brown
Great pictures, great food. Clear explanations. My only complaint is that I like kosher salt more than table salt, but I'm really stretching to find anything wrong. I don't cook like this everyday, but when I put in the effort, I know that I can trust the recipe and not feel like I wasted my time on mediocre food.
I'll rate this one once I cook something from this book, but I've made a lot of Smitten Kitchen recipes before, so I'm sure they will work out well. What I particularly like about this book is that while it's not a vegetarian cookbook, the majority of the recipes are either meatless or easily adapted to vegetarian (ie, meats like bacon are used as seasoning, so that's easy to omit or substitute). There are a lot of great salad ideas, too, which I need since I'm boring with salads (even though I...more
Cynthia
I like the website too, and reading the cookbook made me appreciate that her writing is as delightful as her photos and her approach to cooking. She has an easy, fun "I write the way I speak" style and I think part of her appeal is that she's so "aw shucks" and yet clearly very competent. I wouldn't say there were lots of recipes in here i was dying to cook but on the other hand, her ideas are good and solid and original and they got me thinking .... and of course made me eager to go back and sp...more
Daisy
I think I will splurge and buy this for myself. I like everything about it from the recipes to the way it's organized to the tips to the photographs and especially to the intimate and casual tone of the introductions to the recipes. You want to be friends with her. A modern, un-fussy cookbook from the blog she created (which I haven't looked at much even though my friend recommended it). Wait till I get to actually make something. Then I'll come back with more details.
Belinda
Thanks to Lesley for the recommendation! As fun to read as the recipes are delicious. Thanks to Deb Perelman's blog, i mastered strawberry-rhubarb pie that even my non-rhubarb sweetie devoured. The photography is inspiring and the recipes are easy to follow without a lot of fussiness. The ingredients are simple, too. No shopping for some expensive hard to find item I will use once. .Look forward to working through most of these creations..
Book Giveaways: SMITTEN KITCHEN COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY 1 8 Nov 28, 2012 09:48AM
  • Jerusalem: A Cookbook
  • Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round
  • Dinner, A Love Story: It all begins at the family table
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
  • Home Made Winter
  • The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen
  • Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
Deb Perelman is a self-taught home cook and photographer; and the creator of SmittenKitchen.com, an award-winning blog with a focus on stepped-up home cooking through unfussy ingredients. In previous iterations of her so-called career, she’s been a record store shift supervisor, a scrawler of “happy birthday” on bakery cakes, an art therapist, and a technology reporter. She likes her current gig—t...more
More about Deb Perelman...