Start by marking “Raven: Odin's Wolves (Raven, #3)” as Want to Read:
Raven: Odin's Wolves (Raven, #3)

Raven: Odin's Wolves (Raven #3)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Packed with battles, blood and thrilling adventure, the third blood-stirring chapter in the story of Raven and his fellow Viking warriors is historical fiction at its very best.

We lusted for an even greater prize... It is the one prize that can never be lost or stolen or burnt. And we would find it in Miklagard...

Raven and the Wolfpack have suffered. Good men have died and
Published October 30th 2012 by Bantam (first published April 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven

Paul
Oct 18, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I just finished the final book of the Raven trilogy. I found myself staring at the book, unable to believe it's over.
It's been a while since a story has sucked me in like this one. Fantastically written! If these books are on your TBR list, move them up -- NOW!!
Giles Kristian took me into this world in a visceral way. Didn't overdo the world-building; yet, I could see it vividly. Didn't drone on-and-on about the characters; yet, I knew them intimately. Didn't gratuitously describe the violenc
Terri
I have said it before and I will say it again. I truly do love these kinds of Viking historical fiction. They are books that mingle the sagas with excellent penmanship and colourful adventure. I could read them every week for the rest of the year and be every bit the contented reader.
My journey with this series has not been without its own twists and turns and literary adventures. From the hiccup that was my first attempt with the series a couple years back, to the rediscovering of the series in
Mr. Matt
Mar 25, 2013 Mr. Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hf-vikings, 2013
Odin's Wolves continues the story of Raven, Sigurd, Cynethryth, and the rest of the Fellowship. It really begins right where the second book in the series ends - the silver stolen from Charlemagne is lost and the company is at a pivotal moment. Do they return to Norway and Denmark and admit failure, or do they follow the Whale Road and seek new adventures. (It's the beginning of the book so it is no surprise when they decide to seek new adventures. But that is okay.)

The story of the Fellowship t
Þorrbjórn
May 20, 2013 Þorrbjórn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
After, for the most part, thoroughly enjoying the previous book in this series I had relatively high hopes for this book.
Sadly those hopes were pretty swiftly dashed.

For a book telling the tale of a band of roaming warriors of some reknown relatively little happens for such long periods that the prevailing effect is of generally being underwhelmed at almost all times.
Hardly anything happens for most of the first three hundred pages and when it does, it's quickly over and replaced by tiresome wi
mixal
Now this was a Book! I have to say that I liked the earlier books in the series, but there still was something that did not exactly fit. But this book had everything that my heart desires, and the whole time I was really apprehensive seeing how I have less and less to read. One of the best books I read this year.
Paul Bennett
Jul 23, 2013 Paul Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come and join Sigurd, Raven and the rest on the Sword-Norse cruise line as they journey to new lands and exciting adventures. Go a viking and see the world.

And what a journey it is! At the end of book two, Sons of Thunder, Sigurd and his flotilla of four ships have escaped the wrath of the Franks and Karolus. They head southwest skirting the coast of northern Frankia, around the Iberian Peninsula, with a short stop for a raid, and into the Mediterranean. One more profitable raid, a layover for t
S.J.A. Turney
May 03, 2012 S.J.A. Turney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So now I have come to the end of the Raven saga and it leaves me feeling a little sad. Perhaps some time, after his new series has been fully aired, Giles might return and write another Raven story. I hope so.

Each of the Raven books has followed beautifully from its previous bedfellow and has progressed the general tale and the growth of Raven himself, but also each of the books has a very individual character and addresses different themes, issues and emotions.

Odin's Wolves opens with the wolfp
Ben Kane
Mar 21, 2012 Ben Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is top notch Viking adventure!

I'm always on the lookout for exciting new historical fiction about soldiers or warriors, and was therefore very excited about two years ago to see Giles Kristian's name appear on an Amazon recommended read list. I read his first two books in the summer of 2010 in about three days. To be honest, I tore through them! I was very pleased therefore, to be able last spring to buy Odin's Wolves. It takes up the story of Raven Blood Eye where it left off in Sons of Th
Meena Al-Obaydi
Sep 07, 2013 Meena Al-Obaydi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third and final book of the Raven trilogy - done. And what a book it was! Did not bore me one bit. Where every chapter ended, a new adventure began in the following chapter (except when you reach the final chapter, obviously). It was a fantastic book, and a breathtakingly fast-paced one! I had to force myself to put it down a few times so I can gather my thoughts and allow some space for me to breathe.
Everything I like about a story in one, 500-paged book: vikings, blood, loss, friendship, s
C.J.
Apr 04, 2014 C.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoy Giles Kristian's writing. His style flows incredibly well and his novels are quick and easy to read. He's a true pro. But I have grown accustomed to Mr. Kristian's detail and fidelity to history which, unfortunately, does not stand up to rigor in this third installment. I understand his attempt at exploring the coming about of the Norman Kingdom of Italy, but the plot ventures into an outlandish territory that, in my opinion, belongs in fantasy fiction rather than historical. I adm ...more
Laurie Pringle
Feb 24, 2014 Laurie Pringle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this series. I'm not one for wordy reviews. I will simply say that I felt like part of the Sigurd and Raven's family... travelling to marvelous places, fighting for survival and riches.

I hope there will be more about Raven... I want to know where he came from!

Thanks for the wonderful read Giles. I'm looking forward to reading Sigurd's story! (but I do hope we return to Raven again someday too)
Kelly
HUzzah! Finished my last series book of the year, just in time. This third book in the series was pretty good for an ending. Raven and his oath-brothers travel across the sea, seeking treasure and fame. Raven has grown from a boy to a man, killing many and finding his place amongst the brotherhood. Vikings are such an interesting lot, my favourite part is the swearing. Quite the vocabulary! I thought I would like the series much more but it is too warlike for me.
Matthew Harffy
Took me a long time to get through this, despite having ripped through books one and two very quickly. There were bits that were very good, but it didn't speed along as it should have. Some great writing in a genre I love, but for some reason, I never really latched onto the story. Maybe it was the wrong time for me, or perhaps the plot was not that strong, but for whatever reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous books.
Peter Greenhalgh
Rampaging, stinking, bloodthirsty vikings are not, I'm sure, everyone's cup of mead. But, Giles Kristian is such a brilliant writer that everyone who loves superbly tailored fiction should give his books a read. My 5-star rating for the last book in the Raven series was never in doubt.
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Rather a good rollicking yarn as a bunch of vikings and goths go on the Ground Tour of Europe in the 7th century causing a lot of break and spillage along the way as they skirt the Umayyad Caliphate of Spain, visit old Rome when still in a functioning mode and move on for adventures in Constantinople.
Steven Davis
Slightly running out of steam in tandem with the storyline. A short story following the older Raven who is doing the recounting might not be a bad follow-up at some point.
Speesh
Jun 13, 2012 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vikings
A real shame it is to have come to the end of this one. Really enjoyable, really well-written, really satisfying and surely, one that's going to be really hard to beat in the whole Viking saga genre.

And, while reading books on the iPad is very convenient and generally an all-round excellent idea; how fab was it to hold the actual paperback in your hands while reading the story? Almost gives you the impression you're physically a part of the action... Quick, slap me before I start getting over-em
Iset
This book is the third in a series, completely unknown to me when I purchased it as an on the spot impulse buy. Having jumped into the book as a total newcomer to the series, I’m happy to say that this book stands well on its own and it isn’t necessary to read the previous books in order to enjoy this one… but it probably helps. The characters repeatedly refer to their past adventures, which was tantalisingly frustrating for me, and it’s obvious that this fellowship has been built up over the pa ...more
Kitren Glozer
see comments for 1st and 2nd books of the series. This one was less believable and concentrated more on gross behaviors (especially farting and humping/swiving--maybe funny for males, less so for females). Only one strong woman character was developed through all 3 books--and she morphed completely into something unbelievable to me. Otherwise, women were beautiful sex toys for the Vikings and their crewmates of mixed origins. Rather shallow.
Rebecca
If readers enjoyed Raven Blood Eye and Sons of Thunder then it's an unspoken guarantee that they will go literally beserk over the third installment of this fantastic viking saga, Odin's Wolves.
In this third adventure Raven and Sigurd and the rest of the crew along with the rescued Danes set their prow beasts in the direction of the mediterranean sea and the riches of Milkagard (aka Constantinople now known as Istandbul). They will not just have to survive new and treacherous waters but the new
John
Jul 04, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable romp around the world in the 800s. A book with excellent battle descriptions, and fairly funny moments as well. Having read and re-read the previous novels of this saga in the build up to reading this book, the (often incredibly detailed and sometimes foul) deaths of some of the supporting characters struck a chord with me, as it truly seemed that another member of the 'wolfpack' had passed died, rather than just another insignificant character.

My only quibble with this book is,
Liviu
This is the third and temporarily last (hopefully since i want more for sure) tale of the Viking ( and not only since by this volume Sigurd's band is quite diverse) adventurers under jarl Sigurd and Raven his protegee seemingly marked by Odin. Since I will add the FBC review around the publication date, I will just say that the promise of the first two books is fully realized here with a rip-roaring tale of adventure, intrigue and even occasional heartbreak, that starts on the coasts of French, ...more
Ian
May 21, 2011 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Raven saga, and a worthy follow-up to the two others, both of which were 5* books. It is over a month since I finished the book, so some of the details are not so clear, but needless to say, I pre-ordered the book and eagerly devoured it as soon as it arrived.

The book describes the Viking band's journey from the French coast to Rome and Miklagard (Constantinople). The book really takes off from about the half-way stage and the sections describing the band's adventur
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vikings...A period that just screams to me to read it, if Rome is blood and sandals, then Vikings is Sea , Sword and sudden violence.
My exposure to Viking historical fiction has been limited so far, but I'm trying to catch up, I thought Robert Low had managed to reach the pinnacle of the sub genre with the oathsworn, and then out comes the raven series to take it one step further.
The writing has true power and pace, but what also come over is a true love of the subject and the characters that th
Paul Burnette
Nov 30, 2015 Paul Burnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having lost much, how does a hero respond? Sigurd, his depleted group of Norsemen, along with the decimated band of rescued Danes and several Christian souls, this proto-multicultural group, answer the question with a new quest. Do you put your tail between your legs and go home to till your farm and raise your children in safety? Not if you are a Norseman longing for a skald’s saga to be sung of your deeds, a Christian warrior seeking a second chance, a Danish sailor relishing meat and mead, or ...more
Jeff Frane
Nov 26, 2014 Jeff Frane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giles Kristian's novels are all excellent but he has a particular gift for his stories about Vikings at the turn of the 9th Century. Odin's Wolves is the culmination of his original tales of young Raven, who joins a band of Norse warriors led by Sigurd the Lucky. The Vikings battle and raid across Wessex and Frankia and finally, in Odin's Wolves, through the Moorish coastline and Rome to arrive in Byzantium.

The novels are pretty gory and Kristian has a gift for capturing the chaos of combat, so
Amy
Feb 09, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Viking Sagas as much as I
Recommended to Amy by: Goodreads
The best one yet!! I am so disappointed that the book is finished. I want more!

If you are a lover of Vikings and historical fiction, I suggest you RUN to the bookstore or library and get this series NOW! The battle scenes were epic. The cunning and the skill of the Wolfpack unmatched. By the end of the series, I felt as much a part of the Wolfpack as they are. You really get to know the individual characters, and have your favorites and dislikes. You laugh with them, you feel their pain and disa
Momoto_Sogavo
May 07, 2015 Momoto_Sogavo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a story about Vikings who got defeated in France and flee into the sea. After the defat in France the set their eyes on Byzantine. They run into lots of enemies while on their journey, the flying arrows from the cliffs shot from a n invisible enemy, the Moors in southern Spain, and the pirates in the Mediterranean. they made a stop at Rome and got to watch and be gladiators. But left Rome even though they were impressed by the buildings and sight. they finally arrived at Byzantine and real ...more
Daniel A. Daniel
Raven a wolf's journey!

I could not put these books down, thanks to my kindle I was able to purchase all three one after another. Spent many late hours reading, often until 4-5am! Thank God for retirement lol, wife was ready to send a rescue team after me. These were so well written, it kept me wanting more, just one more page I would say which turned into another hour of reading or more (no I am not a slow reader), I highly recommend this trilogy, I have loved books since I was a little kid and
Scott
Nov 25, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all three of these and I am saved my review until the end of this trilogy.

This was an interesting series. I liked the perspective it was written from. This was also different from many of the other writers I normally read.

It was also a different genre. If you are interested in the person telling an account of their life, but the story is written like it is happening live.

Character development is excellent. Characters die off and new ones brought in. The setting changes throughout the enti
  • The Prow Beast (Oathsworn, #4)
  • King's Man (Viking, #3)
  • Shieldwall (Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • The Splintered Kingdom (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #2)
  • Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Hereward (Hereward #1)
  • Conquest (Making of England, #1)
  • Marathon: Freedom or Death (Long War, #2)
  • Swords of Good Men (The Valhalla Saga, #1)
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
  • Lord of Slaughter (The Wolfsangel Cycle #3)
  • The Leopard Sword (Empire, #4)
  • Finn's Fate
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
Family history (he is half Norwegian) inspired GILES KRISTIAN to write his first historical novels: the acclaimed and bestselling Raven Viking trilogy – Blood Eye, Sons of Thunder and Odin's Wolves. For his next series, he drew on a long-held fascination with the English Civil War to chart the fortunes of a family divided by that brutal conflict in The Bleeding Land and Brothers’ Fury. Giles also ...more
More about Giles Kristian...

Raven (3 books)
  • Blood Eye (Raven #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)

“The dark warrior jumped high into the air, his knees almost striking his chest, then landed in a crouch and leapt back up spinning around, his sword slicing the air. And I wondered how it was possible for him to move like that in mail...

Beynor just stood there, rooted to the ground like an ash. "Heimdall's hairy ballsack," he said, "he's a giant flea!”
1 likes