Start by marking “Children Of The City: At Work and at Play” as Want to Read:
Children Of The City: At Work and at Play

Children Of The City: At Work and at Play

Thisclassic title, which was theinspiration for the storybehind the new musical Newsies, paints a surprising and indelible portrait of the bitter hardships, amazing resourcefulness, and unadulterated joys experienced by immigrant children in American metropolises at the turn of the century.

The turn of the century was a time of explosive growth for American cities, a time o
Published May 16th 2012 by Anchor (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Children Of The City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children Of The City

Katie Schools
Jan 27, 2016 Katie Schools rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book because I had recently seen the play Newsies and really liked it. The musical is based on the book, which was equally as enjoyable. However, it helped me to have seen the play before reading the book.

The story paints a portrait of the bitter hardships, standing up for a belief, and joy experienced by immigrant children in American cities at the turn of the century. The turn of the century was a time of growth for American cities, a time of great hopes and limitless pos
Dr. Robin Markowitz
Controversial, yet remarkable look at how young children, primarily boys, resisted and re-made the conditions of their existence in early 20th century U.S. cities. His chronicle of the newsboys' strike is vital history. The book is more controversial when discussing the actions of the so-called 'child-savers,' one of whom actually included social activist photographer Lewis Hine. He dismisses the action of these advocates as puritanical and fundamentally ignorant of the real conditions of the ch ...more
Nick
Oct 05, 2014 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I had to read for a class this semester.

I do have to say, this book is very well written, especially for nonfiction. It is by no means dry or scholarly. It was actually incredibly interesting. It was really nice to see this historical time period from a different perspective. It shed a lot of light on the generation that would become the Greatest Generation and would fight WWII (though that's hardly mentioned in the book at all).

If you are interested in American history
Christopher Chiusa
Interesting work of revisionist history, most at the time had thought that the cities were a dangerous and inhospitable place. Very intriguing that the children were able to look after themselves and use their hard earned money on the newest forms of entertainment of the day. Cool stuff. Good evidence.
Daniel Maldonado
I read this captivating book for my History 478 (American Youth Culture) course at Cal State Univ. Northridge and enjoyed every minute of it. It was fascinating to read about topics like immigration, urbanization, industrialization, progressive-era reform, gender roles, and child labor from the perspective of the child. This book is easy to read, and hard to put down.
Ken Davidian
Oct 19, 2013 Ken Davidian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This was an interesting book overall. I read it after seeing (and loving) Newsies on Broadway twice in six weeks. I am glad I read this book to know how the stage version of the story compared to actual events. (Final assessment... the stage version bears some resemblance to reality.)
Julie Whitaker
Mar 07, 2014 Julie Whitaker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
For a book I was required to read, I enjoyed it. The book was both informative and captivating. However, there was a whole lot of information packed into this book and I felt overwhelmed at times.
Leonard
I really loved the chapters about the "Newsies" and the Boston Newsboys' Republic and the New York newsboys strike.
Chelsea
This is a good book, it just has a lot of information in each paragraph. Honestly I am still reading it.
Cassie Medinets
Cassie Medinets marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Ayesha
Ayesha rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Callie
Callie added it
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Aino
Aino marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Darcy Beech
Darcy Beech marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Sean Acevedo
Sean Acevedo rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Jenae
Jenae marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jennifer Sauer
Jennifer Sauer marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Hannah McManus
Hannah McManus marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Anna Ivanovna
Anna Ivanovna marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
  • New York Underground: The Anatomy of a City
  • Race-Baiter: How the Media Wields Dangerous Words to Divide a Nation
  • We Used to Own the Bronx: Memoirs of a Former Debutante
  • Easy Writer: A Pocket Reference
  • English Grammar for Students of Latin: The Study Guide for Those Learning Latin
  • Russ & Daughters: Reflections and Recipes from the House That Herring Built
  • 97 Orchard Street, New York: Stories of Immigrant Life
  • Workbook for Wheelock's Latin
  • Empire Rising
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
David Nasaw is an American author, biographer and historian who specializes in the cultural and social history of early 20th Century America. Nasaw is on the faculty of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, where he is the Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. Professor of History.

In addition to writing numerous scholarly and popular books, he has written for publications such as the Columb
More about David Nasaw...