Start by marking “Children Of The City: At Work and at Play” as Want to Read:
Children Of The City: At Work and at Play

Children Of The City: At Work and at Play

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Thisclassic title, which was theinspiration for the storybehind the new musical Newsies, paints a surprising and indelible portrait of the bitter hardships, amazing resourcefulness, and unadulterated joys experienced by immigrant children in American metropolises at the turn of the century.

The turn of the century was a time of explosive growth for American cities, a time o
Published May 16th 2012 by Anchor (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Children Of The City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children Of The City

Dr. Robin Markowitz
Controversial, yet remarkable look at how young children, primarily boys, resisted and re-made the conditions of their existence in early 20th century U.S. cities. His chronicle of the newsboys' strike is vital history. The book is more controversial when discussing the actions of the so-called 'child-savers,' one of whom actually included social activist photographer Lewis Hine. He dismisses the action of these advocates as puritanical and fundamentally ignorant of the real conditions of the ch ...more
Nick
This is another book that I had to read for a class this semester.

I do have to say, this book is very well written, especially for nonfiction. It is by no means dry or scholarly. It was actually incredibly interesting. It was really nice to see this historical time period from a different perspective. It shed a lot of light on the generation that would become the Greatest Generation and would fight WWII (though that's hardly mentioned in the book at all).

If you are interested in American history
Daniel Maldonado
I read this captivating book for my History 478 (American Youth Culture) course at Cal State Univ. Northridge and enjoyed every minute of it. It was fascinating to read about topics like immigration, urbanization, industrialization, progressive-era reform, gender roles, and child labor from the perspective of the child. This book is easy to read, and hard to put down.
Ken Davidian
This was an interesting book overall. I read it after seeing (and loving) Newsies on Broadway twice in six weeks. I am glad I read this book to know how the stage version of the story compared to actual events. (Final assessment... the stage version bears some resemblance to reality.)
Julie Whitaker
For a book I was required to read, I enjoyed it. The book was both informative and captivating. However, there was a whole lot of information packed into this book and I felt overwhelmed at times.
Leonard
I really loved the chapters about the "Newsies" and the Boston Newsboys' Republic and the New York newsboys strike.
Chelsea
This is a good book, it just has a lot of information in each paragraph. Honestly I am still reading it.
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Kate  K. F.
Kate K. F. marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jacquie Bosma
Jacquie Bosma marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Pat
Pat is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Robyn Mcilwain
Robyn Mcilwain marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Alessandra Soracchi
Alessandra Soracchi marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Alicia Farley
Alicia Farley marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Gable Roth
Gable Roth marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Kids On Strike!
  • New York
  • Johnny One-Eye: A Tale of the American Revolution
  • Race-Baiter: How the Media Wields Dangerous Words to Divide a Nation
  • We Used to Own the Bronx: Memoirs of a Former Debutante (Excelsior Editions)
  • Workbook for Wheelock's Latin
  • English Grammar for Students of Latin: The Study Guide for Those Learning Latin
  • 97 Orchard Street, New York: Stories of Immigrant Life
  • The Walrus and the Elephants: John Lennon's Years of Revolution
  • Empire Rising
  • How the Other Half Lives
  • The Mathematical Experience
The Patriarch: The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy Andrew Carnegie The Chief: The Life of William Randolph Hearst Going Out: The Rise and Fall of Public Amusements Schooled to Order: A Social History of Public Schooling in the United States