Start by marking “Hand for a Hand” as Want to Read:
Hand for a Hand

Hand for a Hand (DCI Gilchrist #2)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The first book in a tight, action-packed new series set in Scotland.

Murder. It’s the only word in a note clutched by the dismembered hand found on the lush green of a golf course in St. Andrews, Scotland. When DCI Andy Gilchrist learns the note is addressed to him, he realizes the thing he feared most has come to pass: a killer is deliberately targeting him. Though Gilchri
Published November 13th 2012 by Soho Crime (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hand for a Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand for a Hand

Rogue Reader
A hand found on a golf course in St. Andrews, Scotland - I wasn't sure about this, not liking golf in any form (sorry), but kept reading and wasn't disappointed.

DI Gilchrist is called in for the hand, and all of the subsequent body parts that sicken Gilchrist and the reader with the impending, no doubt horrific ending. Because Gilchrist is targeted, the killer is reaching out directly to Gilchrist, egging him on, taunting him, laughing meanly with a diabolical series of puzzle messages. And the
Patricia
Nov 09, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DCI Andy Gilchrist became a new favorite for me just a few pages into "Hand For A Hand". A dismembered hand is found on the golf course in St. Andrews, Scotland. The hand grips a note addressed to Andy. This first note is only the beginning of the terrors that Andy must face as the body parts and the notes with the strange messages continue to make their appearances.

Andy is divorced with two grown children, Jack and Maureen. It is a puzzle as to why the murderer is targeting Andy with a personal
Cathy Cole
Aug 24, 2012 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Line: Tam Dunn watched the golf ball take a hard kick left and slip into the infamous Road Hole Bunker, a sandy-bottomed pothole that fronted the seventeenth green.

What Tam Dunn finds at the bottom of the Road Hole Bunker gets Detective Chief Inspector Andy Gilchrist out to the Old Course at St. Andrews, Scotland on the double. A dismembered hand is lying in the sand, clutching a one word note addressed to Gilchrist himself. All the note says is Murder, but Gilchrist knows immediately that
Greg
Jul 11, 2013 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british
I like Scottish/British mysteries, but this one did not meet my expectations. Maybe it was based too much on raw crime, sex and shock factor (whatever author Frank Muir was trying to achieve).

DCI Andy Gilchrist is called to a St. Andrews golf course where a hand is found in a bunker. In that hand is a note addressed directly to Gilchrist and has one word - Murder. Is is a clue? Other body parts show up with more words.

Unfortunately, Gilchrist seems more interested in drinking, a liason with his
Petra
Jul 23, 2015 Petra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series about DCI Andy Gilchrist set in and around St Andrews in Scotland. Being familiar with the area was one of my reasons for picking this series back up again, and I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it more than the first one. The characters are better developed, and we are getting to know Andy and members of his family more thoroughly. It's quite an intricate police procedural with some rather gruesome parts. The audiobook was narrated perfectly by David Monteith. I wi ...more
Mary G.
Apr 08, 2014 Mary G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-s-a-mystery
First I do share the comments that the main character was overly angst ridden. However, I did enjoy the writing and storytelling.

I would have given the book more stars but I was disturbed by the constant mentioning of needing a pint, whiskey what have you. As we discussed in our group, it appears that having an alcoholic detective is becoming too easy a crutch by many writers. The story would have worked just as well without the constant mentioning of the need for a drink.

I may or may not read
Miriam
Apr 13, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second mystery revolving around DCI Andy Gilchrist got off to a good start: bodyparts on the golf course, mysterious messages, a connection to the past. The middle part, however, was in a decided slump. The detective had already realised his daughter is missing, is the target of the murderer, yet he aimlessly drives around the countryside, asking questions into the blue, content to telephone around and evidently still thinks he has the time to shag a colleague? It felt like the author though ...more
Flora Wyllie
Aug 12, 2014 Flora Wyllie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series and an excellent read. I didn't want to put it down.
Gooddeeds
Feb 21, 2011 Gooddeeds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love reading books set in the UK for a change, and I love Scotland. This is a great story and the cold wet and windy Scottish weather really added to the grim atmosphere.
Good levels of suspense in this, I want to read more of his books.

Donated to the British Heart Foundation in South Shields.
Lynsey
Apr 19, 2015 Lynsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, although I read a lot of crime fiction, I felt it was a unique twist on plot. This was also coupled with a likeable detective who fits the usual type of the genre - stereotypical to a point but with some idiosyncrasies to make him interesting. I read some criticism about the gore and sexual violence and there were some elements which made me shudder or react- particularly one to do with bodily functions- but these didn't take away from the book for me. I like a gritty, violent ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
Fantastic, so different from the first. Full review to come.
Steve
Oct 22, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the author had a good yarn, but executed in a manner that left me wanting. However, I'll start with the good: the crime, setting, dialog, pacing, mood.

In the hands of a more seasoned writer, one less prone to meandering into flowery prose, this book would have burned into my memory. I imagine if Elmore Leonard, Ken Bruen or Raymond Chandler had written it.

I think, if Muir takes in more hard-boiled detective fiction and emulates it better without losing his own voice, his subsequent eff
Rebekah
Ok story, a bit explicit and lady-murdering for my taste in jolly UK crime squad murder mysteries. Doubt I'll read any more in the series.
Jmcrossfl
Mar 23, 2015 Jmcrossfl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book set in Scotland, mainly in the Glasgow area. T. Frank Muir is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
Nick
Jul 23, 2015 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending felt a bit rushed, with plot points appearing from nowhere. The first book did this too, but not as badly. Don't think I'll continue with this series.
Carrie
Jan 07, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super tense murder mystery. A little more gorey than I usually care for, but the story line was interesting.

The short distance between Glasgow and St. Andrews has the Scottish police force following clues in both places in the same day. When a severed leg with a clue burned in to it turns up in a sand trap on the Old Course, we know it's only a matter of time before other body parts show up.
Rach
Feb 07, 2014 Rach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent!! a page turner you can't put down with twists, turns you never expect
Stuart Lennon
May 26, 2016 Stuart Lennon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story that took a firm grip of me and dragged me through to its conclusion. Moving straight on to the next in the series. Brilliant.
Camille
familiar and exciting
kept me guessing to the end about the bad guy
Trish Feeney
Mar 29, 2014 Trish Feeney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series and the character Andy Gilchrist.
elsa
Aug 01, 2016 elsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love T. Frank Muir's crime novels ~
Nancy McFarlane
Aug 05, 2012 Nancy McFarlane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone is playing a grisly game with DCI Andy Gilchrist. As body parts addressed to him are being left on the Old Course at St. Andrews, Scotland his worse fears come to pass. In this dark, gripping, and action packed story, Gilchrist methodically follows the clues in the most important case he has ever faced, hoping against hope he won’t be too late. Hand for Hand is an exciting and chilling debut in the crime fiction genre and DCI Gilchrist is someone whom we can’t wait to learn more about.
Katarzyna
Oct 25, 2014 Katarzyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book, but the ending dragged a bit...
Martina
Second in a crime series set in Scotland with DCI Andy Gilchrist. Soho Crime published in November 2012. I don't think the first in the series was published in the US.
Unbelievably intense story. I read the last 125 pages in one sitting. Intriguing main character, a murder or two tied closely to his past and his family... Can't say much without spoiling things. A bit more explicit than the books I usually read, but nothing to compare to the tension of the plot.
Amanda Fleet
Jul 24, 2016 Amanda Fleet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
Enjoyable, taut thriller.
[This is the second in the Andy Gilchrist series, but if you've not read the first and have got this one, it doesn't matter if you read them in the wrong order]
A body part is found on the Old Course in St Andrews, with a note addressed to DCI Andy Gilchrist. Why is the murdered sending messages to him? Can he reveal the hidden message before there is another murder?
This was a great read and I'm looking forward to the others.
Hannah (Lemonade Library)

Really, really enjoyed this. Thrilling, surprising and full of suspense, it kept me turning the pages quickly. The plot was delivered in a very clever way and even as I thought I knew what was going on, I really hadn't even scratched the surface. Enjoyed this even more than the first one and I'm sure I will be reading the third one very soon.
Cathy
Read this one for book club. Good, but not great. Pretty gruesome. I did like the main detective, but I can definitely see others' comments that he's overly angst-ridden. I would read another in the series, but I probably won't just because I have so many other things I really want to keep up with more than this.
Donna
A real page turner. Gritty and dark and perhaps not for the squeamish but still a great story. This is the second book in the series and perhaps if I had read the first one first some of my small quibbles with this one would not exist so I guess I would have to give this really 3.5 stars.
Lizzy
4 stars for gripping suspense and taut mystery.
1 for grisly, raw and course reading. A little too gruesome for my taste and the language was too raw for me. Also the sex scene was so not necessary. I had to do a lot of skimming.
Sharon
Second in the series -
Dark, grim and tense throughout, I was captivated throughout- an edge of your seat thriller, this one will stay with me, enjoyed the convoluted ride and will definitely continue with series..
Madison Mega-Mara...: Hand for a Hand (DI Gilchrist #2) 1 3 Jan 29, 2013 05:31AM
  • City of Mirrors (Diana Poole #1)
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • The Sixth Soul
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Skinwalkers Trilogy, #1)
  • Everyone Lies (DCI Simms & Professor Fennimore, #1)
  • Life for a Life  (DCI Gilchrist, #4)
  • I Can See in the Dark
  • How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • The Thirteenth Sacrifice
  • The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1)
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
  • Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1)
  • Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone, #1)
  • Nurse! Nurse!: A Student Nurse's Story
  • Everything But the Squeal (Simeon Grist Mystery, #2)
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)

Aka T.F. Muir

Born in Glasgow, Frank was plagued from a young age with the urge to see more of the world than the rain sodden slopes of the Campsie Fells. By the time he graduated from University with a degree he hated, he’d already had more jobs than the River Clyde has bends. Short stints as a lumberjack in the
More about Frank Muir...

DCI Gilchrist (6 books)
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
  • Tooth for a Tooth (DCI Gilchrist, #3)
  • Life for a Life  (DCI Gilchrist, #4)
  • The Meating Room (DCI Gilchrist, #5)
  • Blood Torment (DCI Gilchrist, #6)