Start by marking “Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding: The Complete Nutrition Book for Nursing Mothers” as Want to Read:

The new mom’s most trusted resource–now revised and updated to include the latest in nutrition and dietary concerns

This hands-on guide provides mothers with expert advice on losing weight and eating well, so you can feel good about your decision to nurse. Registered dietitian, professional nutritionist, and mother of two Eileen Behan shows you how to shed pounds safely and
Published September 5th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published October 27th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding

A.L. Sowards
After skimming through this book, I think it would be great for the following people:

-those that have no prior knowledge of basic nutrition
-those without any common sense when it comes to eating
-those extremely vulnerable to fad diet temptation
-moms that magically have more time when a newborn comes along for calorie counting, meal planning, and food diaries
-insomniacs
Jul 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was not at all what I was looking for. It is basically a glorified menu plan from a dietician for a caloric intake that may or may not work for all breast feeding moms. Other than that, it just tells you what you should already know about eating healthy to support the health of mother and child. There are no great weight loss tips in this book other than continue to eat healthy and exercise and don't restrict calories until you are no longer breast feeding. There. I saved you from having to ...more
Christina
Mar 17, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
Loved this book- read it cover to cover, but might be most useful for the average reader to skip around. Very engaging, interesting, and useful. I was amazed at how practical and interesting the author made this subject. I was especially motivated to read this book before our childbirth class on breastfeeding. Childbirth class was great, but I was sorely disappointed with our instructors complete LACK of nutrition knowledge concerning breastfeeding. Of course she can recite every benefit of brea ...more
Mallory
I read this book hoping for information on how to safely lose weight while nursing, because I definitely do not automatically lose weight while nursing. The information in it I didn't all agree with, but the numbers was good information to know (how much to realistically/safely lose, how many calories, etc.). Some of the studies she used seemed a little ridiculous (these people did a study with 5 breastfeeding women....really?! You can't get anything conclusive from studying so little people.) S ...more
Michelle Piper
Good read, informative and all, but didn't really share anything that wasn't obvious. We all know to follow the basic food groups, drink lots of water and exercise. What was helpful were the recipes, different exercises and help with calculating how many extra calories are REALLY needed while breastfeeding.
Nathalie
Borrowed this one from the BR La Leche League Chapter when I attended a recent meeting.

Good information, especially the menus - specifically catered to breastfeeding women, but if the author puts stock (albeit begrudgingly) in moms' "research" into foods that disturb babies' tummies, why does she constantly include broccoli in her recipes?! RETARD!
Rachel
A great book for mothers who don't know much about nutrition, but I do not agree with many things that she states or suggests. For example, she says, "Cereal is my favorite breakfast food because its quick and nutritious." I'm pretty sure that the cereal most moms reading this book consume is in no way nutritious. I think 3 stars is generous for this one.
Christin
Jun 11, 2011 Christin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of the same old that we all know but there were parts of it that I really liked. Over all it was not that great and I disagreed with some of the things that were said (such as children should be given dessert every night so they dont crave it). It was just ok over all.
Tina
Dec 27, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very basic book on nutrition. It is a good book for anyone who does not know how to eat healthy. However I actually do. Some of the discussions on studies are interesting.
Megan
Feb 03, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was okay. It mainly just talked about nutrition and the benefits of nursing. And the downside was it's an older book.
Susan
Obviously I just perused this title. One thing I did not agree with was the title for the section "Chocolate - the food we hate ourselves for loving." Puh lease. That's so ridiculous.
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2009
WiLoveBooks
WiLoveBooks rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2008
Lucinda
Lucinda rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Jessika
Jessika rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2014
Lala Banana
Lala Banana rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Debbie Olsen
Debbie Olsen rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2008
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Holly Parraghi bouhanna
Holly Parraghi bouhanna rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Misty Dupuis
Misty Dupuis rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2009
Andrea G Rakowski
Andrea G Rakowski rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2007
Tahlia
Tahlia rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2009
Kelly Perkins
Kelly Perkins rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Jamila
Jamila rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2011
Reianna Cambridge
Reianna Cambridge rated it liked it
May 11, 2009
Leslie Buchenberger
Leslie Buchenberger rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013