Start by marking “Titanic” as Want to Read:
Titanic

Titanic (Titanic Landmark Series)

This was one of the first books to appear after the sinking of the Titanic, published just 37 days after the disaster, and despite the haste it is one of the most stylish and well-written of the early works. Its author, Filson Young, was a respected journalist who had already used his columns in the London Saturday Review and the Pall Mall Gazette to call for better safety ...more
ebook
Published April 27th 2012 by Tales End Press (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Titanic, please sign up.

Giselle Chionh Well, I'm younger than middle school and I am going to read it, so I guess it is.

Justin
Apr 27, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
If you're going to read a book on the sinking of the Titanic, it might as well be this one. An almost contemporary account, it's a fascinating read. Filson knows his stuff, takes us on a journey from the ship's beginnings, which he speaks of in an almost lyrical, poetic prose, to the life of passengers on board, to its final demise. It's matter of fact sprinkled with colour and must have been hugely eye-opening to read just 5 weeks after the ship went down, a fine mixture of a journalist's eye f ...more
Riley Gardner
Dec 21, 2015 Riley Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giving it five stars for the historical value alone. Written a mere month after the disaster, there's a wealth of information here (as well as myth and legend) of the public's reaction. Short read but beautiful prose in descriptions of what we might consider average or uneventful, such as the wake of a ship or the scaffolds of the builders.

A few inaccuracies but given the time period it was written, it's rather incredible. Recommend to any Titanic fanatic looking to expand their collection.

Fre
Liam
Dec 21, 2015 Liam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such an interesting read, being written the same year as the event made it that little more great! It's packed full of information such as the way the ship had been built, the different rooms on the ship and even a table showing the loss of life on the Titanic. The descriptions were also almost poetic, it was written beautifully!

This is the first book I have read about the Titanic and definately won't be the last. 5/5 Star.
Sean Kennedy
This book is interesting as a historical document, being published the same year as the actual sinking of the Titanic. Unfortunately it also seems to be the precursor to many of the urban legends that have built up around the tragic voyage and contains detail that has since been disproven (such as the fact that the Titanic split above the water rather than sinking in one piece).

This doesn't dampen your enjoyment of the text, as it is a reflection of its time. What did annoy me, however, was the
Kim
May 25, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was written right after the Titanic disaster and gives more details and information than I have found elsewhere. My Grandma and I used to read books and watch everything we could about the Titanic, she would have devoured this book, as I did.
Ashlee
Dec 26, 2013 Ashlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is a beautifully written contemporary account of the Titanic and her passengers. The author does an excellent job of making the events come alive for the reader. I felt like I was there experiencing it for myself. I have read many many books on the Titanic over the years, (it's been an interest of mine for the last 16 years or so), and I was amazed to find so much information in this book that has continued to be passed on in many other books and movies up to the present day.

Although t
Teena Evans
Jan 07, 2015 Teena Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This traumatising event that was written so soon after it occurred has a brilliance that is lacking in the memoirs of today.

His description of the events, the Titanic, the sinking and the utter devastation suffered is unbelieveable. Never have I read something so moving.

Anyone that has the slightest interest in the Titanic will adore this encounter. It should be on the list of the best Titanic accounts, even if his story differs from what we know to be true with regards to the boats end.

His wr
Charlotte
Apr 21, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I don't really think there is much I can say about this book.

It is a non-fiction account of the Titanic's maiden voyage, with imagined elements mixed in (such as the emotions 'our traveller' would feel). There's nothing really new in this book, nothing other than a basic account of what happened.

I can't say I was disappointed by this book, because there were a few interesting facts (such as how close some of the other boats who didn't come to help were) as well as the statistics at the end. How
Avidreader
Feb 15, 2013 Avidreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. So immediate as if you were really there. Saw the Titanic artifact exhibit in Victoria & Vegas so learning more of the details so soon after the tragedy allowed you to be immersed in that time period. I especially was struck by the men in the Marconi room and the "stokers" who continued right up to the end. And then to contrast this tragedy with the Carnivale cruise ship incident in the Gulf of Mexico, it's almost as if big ship builders can't ever get it right. Think I'll stick to ...more
Claudia
Sep 19, 2012 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An important book written contemporaneously with the actual event. Poignant and understated but undeniably carrying the import and impact of 1,503 souls silenced and what faced the 700 odd survivors. Rich and poor drowned alongside each other or sat "cheek by jowl" next to each other in the lifeboats. Not only was this book the first written about that cold Mid-Atlantic night in April, it is one of the best without fictionalized details padding the story for dramatic effect or fleshing out the s ...more
Michelle Sibley
Jan 01, 2017 Michelle Sibley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find books on the titanic really interesting and this is no exception especially as it was written by a journalist and published just 37 days after the titanic sunk. It's extremely factual and detailed about the things they knew at that time and it's also incredible to think how much we have learned since especially in recent years. Currently free on Amazon so definitely worth reading.
Amanda Kai
Sep 06, 2011 Amanda Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The details this books bring on the tragic ship are amazing. I saw myself walking the desk, dining, sleep, and exercising with the other patrons on board. At first I thought it'd be a story but really learning about the ship was interesting.
Tyler W
Story is about the tragic Titanic voyage through and I see ocean sale with a bunch of ice and one second everything was fine and the next moment and iceberg had stroke the side of The ship and the ship started to sink and a bunch of people died and it was really emotional for other families.
Natalie
This book was ok there were good parts and bad parts it was cool to know how much it ways
Savannah Flynn
Amber
Jun 19, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nature-lovers
Review posted on my blog www.thewriterslibrary.blogspot.com

They said she was unsinkable. They said she was paradise. She turned out to be a fool's paradise.
I'll admit that the only reason that I read this book was because my favorite singer is releasing his own "film scores" based on historical events, and the sinking of the Titanic happened to be the second score released by him. He told a story, all right, but I wanted to know more. So when I found this book on iBooks (for free) I picked it up
Cadel Hortberg
I read the book "The Titanic" by Filson Young. The basis of this novel being written encaps the fateful expedition of The Titanic. It was mainly written to inform the read of what really went on in the sinking.

Being the book is a documentary there's is no real theme. The whole premise of the book is solely to inform you of the events that occurred in not only the sinking of The Titanic build the building.

"The Titanic" it is very difficult to stay engaged because of the layout of the book. Thi
Carina
I've had this free book on my Kindle for a while and honestly I am not sure why I downloaded it. Reading it on my recent holiday however - I'm glad I had it. I certainly had a bit of a theme going on what with reading about the 1996 Everest Disaster, this and WW2...

According to a Goodreads review I literally just caught sight of, this book was written just one month after the events and actually the way it is written it feels 'fresh'. The author has a very descriptive writing style - his way of
Dani Waggett
Feb 11, 2016 Dani Waggett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: was-ok
Well written and very descriptive, although if any one is looking for a story of Rose and Jack they won't find it here. There is no romance in it, it is just a piece about the boat itself, the construction of it and it's doomed journey.
I was chilled to the bone as it described the sinking of the ship, it was so well described that i could almost imagine the chill of the water and the eerie silence that would have fallen after it had all happened.
I could easily imagine being on the sip from how
Georgina
Jan 06, 2013 Georgina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For as long as I can remember the story of the Titanic has always been an interest to me, I first saw 'A Night To Remember' when I was around aged 11, I didn't fully understand how it happened but the magnitude of loss seemed to stay with me. From that moment on I seemed to interested to try and absorb as much information as I could about that dreadful night. I honestly have to say hands down this book is one of the best I have read, Filson Young observes the voyage and incident from different v ...more
Grace Harwood
This is a quick, easy read, setting out the action of the maiden (and final as it turned out) voyage of the Titanic. I got the free Kindle edition but the paperback edition is so much better as it includes lots of lovely photographs. This is an interesting read - it's an old book and there's a lot in here that isn't strictly politically correct (Young's attitude to the loss of life in third-class and amongst the stokers of the ship is revelatory about class attitudes of the time). The statistics ...more
Lauren
Jan 25, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: titanic
This is a fascinating and poignant retelling of a tragic story. Filson Young is a skilful writer who describes the events with knowledge, tact and a delicate hand. He does not write with the aim to make the reader cry, yet, neither does he fill his text with a prosaic representation of endless facts.

The chronology is slightly off at times, which is understandable when you consider that Filson is recounting many people’s experience of the tragedy. Through his beautiful, and almost poetic, descri
Dann
Apr 16, 2015 Dann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The first book written about the loss of the R.M.S. Titanic, Filson Young’s Titanic is an incredibly captivating look at the ship that was thought unsinkable. A journalist, Young’s writing is extraordinarily descriptive and colorful, creating some remarkably evocative images of Titanic and her voyage across the Atlantic. However, it’s a little scarce on facts and reads more like myth. Part of this is due to the inclusion of some fantastical stories that later proved to be untrue (such as Captain ...more
Maura Rademacher
When I first read it, I thought it was going to another nonfiction about the Titanic. But, it was actually way better than I thought. I learned so many things that I didn't even know before. And, it was a very detailed book. I also like it because it was written very shortly after the disaster so it most likely was more accurate about the event. And because it has more accurate facts, if you were to report on the Titanic, I highly suggest using this book as a source. I highly recommend this book ...more
Amanda Gorry
Aug 10, 2014 Amanda Gorry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story really paints a picture of this tragic event. Written so close to when it actually happened the writer brings the sequence of events to live. It must have been a terrifying experience even for those on higher decks who felt at first it wasn't happening. Picturing those bewildered, injured and sad survivors walking on to shore in New York is enough to bring tears to the eyes. It is nice to note that the White Star rep who survived is more of a hero than portrayed in the film.
Joyce Johnson
Sep 04, 2016 Joyce Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Titanic

It is all the information, details and description given in the writing of this book that I found intriguing. It painted a clear image of the Titanic disaster, of the lives of those who experienced it, those who survived, and those who were lost.
Nisa.M
Wow this book is really amazing.it really makes me understand the history of titanic much better. I really felted like I was back in time and at the scene.This book really made me feel like I was on the ship too. It really made imagination go wild. And I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the history of the titanic.
Amy Vicary
As the first book to be written following the sinking, it is important to keep this in mind. Often it employs the sensationalist journalist accounts, and feeds the fire for many urban myths which were sparked upon the return of the survivors aboard the Carpathia. However, as a study of how society viewed the report, it is quite a fascinating read which should be taken with a grain of salt.
Doreen Petersen
Just finished this book tonight. The reason I gave it only 2 stars was because of the author's opinion that the original findings in the Titanic sinking were correct and that Captain Smith was solely to blame for the disaster. I don't agree with this and as the book was written in England shortly after the Titanic sinking it no wonder the author felt so. Not much objectivity in my opinion.
Marie
Oct 13, 2014 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When reading this short yet informative book you have to remember when it was written - about a month after the ship sank - with that said, it is a great book, beautiful vocabulary and was most likely one of the first writings to detail the ship.

Reading it from a 2014 point of view, it was a little boring and sometimes felt to detailed, but I still appreciate the book for what it is.
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • The Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters
  • Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, and the Worlds They Came From
  • The Sinking of the Titanic
  • The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II
  • The Reign of Mary Tudor
  • The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History
  • Wreck and Sinking of the Titanic: The Ocean's Greatest Disaster: A Graphic and Thrilling Account of the Sinking of the Greatest Floating Palace Ever Built Carrying Down to Watery Graves More Than 1,500 Souls
  • England Under The Tudors
  • Alexander
  • Life of Tom Horn: Government Scout and Interpreter
  • The Best Ghost Stories
  • Small Wars Manual
  • A Rifleman Went to War
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • King Alfred of England
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • The Military Institutions of the Romans

Titanic Landmark Series (1 books)
  • Story of the Wreck of the Titanic

“The Titanic was in more senses than one a fool’s paradise. There is nothing that man can build that nature cannot destroy, and far as he may advance in might and knowledge and cunning, her blind strength will always be more than his match.” 0 likes
“pigmy men” 0 likes