The Rival Queens (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, # 2)

The Rival Queens (Countess Ashby De La Zouche #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  10 reviews

London 1700. The intrepid and impecunious heroines Countess Ashby de la Zouche and her maidservant, Alpiew, are scavenging for scandal for that scurrilous rag, the London Trumpet. With the bailiffs, as ever, in hot pursuit, the Countess and Alpiew escape to a philosophical lecture at the York Building's concert hall. But their dull evening is confounded when one player sta

Published (first published December 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Rival Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rival Queens

Ruby Rose Scarlett
The gentle cover really makes me laugh because the book is anything but gentle. So! This is the second installment in the Countess Ashby de la Zouche mysteries series. We're in the company of our old friends the Countess and her former maid Alpiew for another adventure in Restoration England.
First things first - this book wasn't as good as Unnatural Fire, the first book of the series, perhaps because the first book is funnier and the whole introduction makes it so we have to get accustomed to a...more
Cathy
As the stars say, 80 pages in and it was OK, just not what I wanted to read at the moment, so abandoned, for now at least. Hadn't read the previous one (it is the 2nd in a series) but that wasn't a problem.
Phair
Definitely not as good as #1 but then the "getting to know you" stage is always more interesting I feel. This one was a bit harder to follow- more characters and a more complex plot. Some plot pieces seemed to come out of left field. A pretty good sense of the period but somehow less vivid than in the first. I enjoy the humor in these especially the ironic aside where Ashby disses Pepys for his silly diary that will surely come to nothing- what could he possibly write about?
JL Smither
An interesting light read. When I picked this up, I didn't realize it was a mystery or that it was the second in a series--yes, I just judged the book by its cover. But it kept me entertained and even guessing a bit over whodunit. It takes place in London in 1699, and the author made a point of dropping in little trivia about the time period to add to the atmosphere. Good for a plane or before-bed reading.
Lacey Lane
The characters of Alpiew and the Countess were much consistent. The thing I love best about this series is the age of the characters. Alpiew is in her forties, the Countess is in her sixties and Godrey is just old. It's good to see that the thirst for adventure doesn't end after twenty and that hardships occur to everyday people, even in books.
Randi
I found this to be an enjoyable read about two unexpected detective types - an eccentric old countess and her maid. The timeframe was fun to read about as well - London at the start of the 1700s.
Cece
A little choppy-if it were a movie the pace of scene switches would produce whiplash-but fun.
Jdlewis57
enjoyed setting/atmosphere of Eiizabethan London, but mysteries aren't really my thing.
Delphine
Uncannily funny. Good historical novel with a lot of humour. A must-read.
Milynda Guinn moore
Like all of the Countess Ashby books this was wonderful.
Sannah Aitcheson
Sannah Aitcheson is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Jaye
Jaye marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lori Mackinder
Lori Mackinder marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Holli
Holli marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
905_schrama
905_schrama marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Aeleen
Aeleen marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Actor, writer, director and historian, Fidelis Morgan is the author of a series of mystery novels featuring the Countess Ashby dela Zouche and a cast of outrageous characters. The books have been described as ‘A 17th century Armistead Maupin’, ‘Flashman for Girls’ ‘A bawdy PG Wodehouse’ and ‘Cagney and Lacey in Corsets.’
She has published many influential non-fiction works, mainly about the sevent...more
More about Fidelis Morgan...
Unnatural Fire (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, #1) The Ambitious Stepmother (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, # 3) Fortune's Slave (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, # 4) The Murder Quadrille Wicked: Women's Wit and Humour from Elizabeth I to Ruby Wax