Start by marking “Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs” as Want to Read:
Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs

and

"I've Been Working on the

Railroad"?

Well, forget 'em!

Songwriter and comedy writer extraordinaire Alan Katz has turned those and other old favorites on their ears and created new nonsense songs kids will love. With zany, spirited pictures by illustrator and cartoonist David Catrow, this kooky collection guarantees laughs

Published June 2002 by Scholastic Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs

(NS) Brea M
Katz, a comedy writer who has worked on children's programming for Disney and Nickelodeon has created his own "silly dilly" versions of beloved childhood tunes. Kids will rejoice in the hilarious, "I'm Filthy, I'm Dirty," sung to the tune of "It's Raining, It's Pouring," and parents have songs to celebrate, too: "Go Go Go to Bed" is a clever remake of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." With the possible exception of the lesser-known "Polly, Put the Kettle On," most children will be familiar with the ori ...more
Connie
This review is copied from Amazon.com, comments about other reviewers tackle specific issues mentioned there.

As other reviewers noted, this book is big on "taboo" subjects - dirty diapers, food fights, cleaning up your bedroom by hiding everything out the window, being carsick.... That should come as no surprise, after all, the cover (which you can see on this site) shows a naked boy flying out of the bathtub. This sort of material will mildly shock most children and they'll find it hilarious, b
Amy
This compilation of poems that can be sung to the tune of familiar children's tunes is likely to incite wild laughter and requests for a refrain. The strange and cute illustrations compliment the poems in a "silly dilly" way as well.

Audience: K-1 for read aloud or sing along; grades 2-3 for guided or independent reading.

Uses: Fun for song times. Could be use for guided reading then sung in the same manner altogether. The use of meter, end rhyme, and repetition in the book would be good for the
Courtney
I love how there were so many different types of songs that children can relate to. I could see these songs being sung to children during "circle time" or in the morning after breakfast.
Jadin
This book definitely tickled my fancy. Mr. Katz has taken tunes of old favorite songs and given them all new lyrics. Hilarious and sometimes disgusting(to our delight),this book is a keeper. For example this song sung to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Stink, Stinky Diaper Change, boy my brother smells so strange. The wonderful lyrics paired with David Catrow's illustrations makes this book fun for everyone. Warning: you will want to sing at the top of your lungs and just slightly out ...more
Michelle McBeth
When I saw this book was advertized for children ages 2-8 I was floored. I cannot imagine a 2 year old understanding the quirky humor of this book or enjoying the songs. With that said, I had this book in my 5th grade classroom for years. This age child (8-12) understands the humor and has great fun with it even if they don't know the songs that the poems are a parody of.

What child at this age can resist "Stinky Stinky diaper change, Boy my brother smells so strange, He made something in his pa
Margaret
This book has silly songs to the tunes of well known children songs. The students really enjoy singing along with the silly tunes. I would have this in my classroom as an example of lyric writing. It's a great book for students to read like a writer when learning about writing lyrics. In addition to that I would definitely have this book in my class just because the students like it so much.
Deb Jones
One of my all-time favorite illustrators is David Catrow. He has paired up with Alan Katz in Take Me Out of the Bathtub. Fourteen well-known songs, which includes “Take Me Out to the Ballgame,” “London Bridge” and “Yankee Doodle,” are presented with new words and titles. The titles include “I’m So Carsick,” “Go Go Go to Bed” and “I Have a Babysitter Here with Me.” I am definitely not gifted in the music department, but even I was able to recite the poems along to the original melodies in which t ...more
Kristine Mathias
This is a great book of poetry that is sung to the tune of popular children's songs. Each song takes on a tune of song many children are familiar with. This is a great book full of colorful illustrations that will make the kids laugh out loud over and over again. It's great to sing the real song first and then the silly kooky rendition the book provides. This book is fun to read over and over again.

Stinky Stinky Diaper Change (sung to the tune of twinkle, twinkle, little star)

Stinky stinky diape
Caitlin Barclay
Katz brilliantly uses well known songs that every student will know and turns them into funny every-day events in student's lives. Our students will love it and can easily follow along as they learn to read. This is also a great resource for emerging writers as they choose how and what to write about.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Very silly and occasionally gross. Legomeister loves it.

Sometimes I can't keep the tune as I read the words. It's probably partly that I'm not very musically gifted, but also, in a few places, the parodies are a bit off.

I vote two stars but it gets an extra star because the Legomeister loves it.
Lauren Jackson
My second grade class was obsess with this story because of the funny songs that were presented in the book. I would place this book in my safe place so that whenevr my students are upset they can read this stor and have a good laugh. Sininging sometimes helps to calm someone down.
Shawna Elenkiwich
I thought that this book was really fun and more than likely a great read for a younger child. It takes common childhood songs and puts different lyrics to the music with funny scenarios. The illustrations were detailed and colorful. I think that any child would enjoy this book.
Michelle
This was clever, and the boys loved it, but I was uncomfortable with the bathroom humor that pervaded much of it. I could also do without the bizarre, uncouth artwork. If there was a way to keep a few of the songs, and leave out all the pictures, it would be a keeper.
Marisa
Silly, funny words to common tunes, my kids love to sing these funny songs. ex: (tune of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean), chorus "food, fight, food fight, there food on the counter and chairs and chairs. food fight, food fight, got tons of meat loaf in my hair"
Alice
People in our library hate me and my co-worker because we started singing these songs. They use new words that you sing to familiar tunes!! SO FUN!!!

Yankee Doodle "Cranky Poodle in my home, Clawing, scratching, howling ..." and it goes on and on!! FUN FUN FUN!!!
Jovana Garcia
'as a kid who grew up thinking ' baby , baby stick your head in gravy' was the national anthem , i really like how alankatz and david catrow have written and illustrated such funny songs !!!!!!
kids of all ages are gonna love the new lyrics
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Taking traditional tunes, Katz turns childhood on its head. With ridiculous illustrations by David Catrow, bathtime, room cleaning and little siblings will never be the same. Kids of all ages love to hear you sing these silly songs.
Lauren
Funny adaptations of famous tunes to "silly dilly songs" like Stinky Stinky Diaper Change, Bobby Put the TV On, Ripped My Favorite T-shirt, and other tunes that kids can relate to.
Great time filler.
Elizabeth
I think this book would have been a lot more fun if I had known the tunes to the songs. The songs are silly and I think kids would love it. The pictures in it are very detailed.
Rachel
This book is full of songs put to familiar tunes. Gives great ideas for teachers because you can edit some of the words and get management songs!
Noelle
This series of books are some of our favorites. hilarious illustrations to go along with silly lyrics to childhood favorite songs.
Taylor
Real cute book, to make lessons about poetry interesting!
Stephanie Koerner
Grade/interest level: PreK-4th
Fountas and Pinnell: L
Genre: Poetry

Main characters: none
Setting: depends on the poem
POV: depends on the poem

Summary:
This book is ridiculously funny and is sure to be enthusiastically enjoyed by young children. It is super silly and the simple humor will not be lost on a young crowd. There are poems about brushing teeth, taking a bath, and many other bathroom related poems. David Catrow wrote these poems to appeal to young children. One of the really cool parts about
Dolly
May 09, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a book of fun little ditties that accompany the tunes to children's songs we all (should) know so well. I did my best to sing these to the appropriate tune, but I succeeded with some more than others. Oh well, perhaps we can try to get ahold of an audio version and follow along with the book as the professionals sing.

In any case, we found this book at a yard sale (in very good condition, I must say) and when we saw the illustration on the cover, we knew that we had to get the book. We r
Maddy
Jan 11, 2013 Maddy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ...more
☺Trish
Alan Katz is a comic genius . . .! This is one of my grandsons' favorite books! Stinky, Stinky Diaper Change (To the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) is a real winner, as is the title tune Take Me Out of the Bathtub (To the tune of Take Me Out to the Ballgame), and I'm Filthy, I'm Dirty (To the tune of It's Raining, It's Pouring)! The illustrations by David Catrow are absolutely awesome, too!
Phil Laurette
I loved this book and so did my kids! I have read these stories, or more accurately sung these stories to my kids hundreds of times. We actually wore out the book and had to buy a second. I have now bought it for my granddaughter and she is enjoying the stories too. They are silly stories set to songs such as "Take Me Out of the Bathtub" to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." You get the idea. If you don't like singing silly songs to kids, don't buy this book because once they have it you ...more
Alex Niemi
Take Me Out of the Bathtub is a hilarious songbook that allows readers to sing along and laugh to all of the well-known tunes. The creative tunes are about food fights, messy bedrooms, and much more. This book will be an instant hit in a classroom full of young children, and it is filled with so many twists.
Jenny Schramm
I thought that this was a great book. It had me laughing with the way they created different songs from old songs. I also really thought that the way they did the pictures were really fun also. I think that kids will love these books because they know the classic tunes that are in this book.
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
  • Dogzilla
  • An Egg Is Quiet
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat!
  • Old Black Fly
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • The Remarkable Farkle McBride
  • Raising Dragons
  • Saving Sweetness
I'm Still Here in the Bathtub: Brand New Silly Dilly Songs Don't Say That Word! Oops! Where Did They Hide My Presents?: Where Did They Hide My Presents? Are You Quite Polite?: Silly Dilly Manners Songs