The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)

The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate #3)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  2,554 ratings  ·  287 reviews
Ten years have passed since Kate and Cecy married Thomas and James, and England is now being transformed by the first railways. When the Duke of Wellington asks James to look into the sudden disappearance of a German railway engineer, James and Cecy's search reveals a shocking truth ...

The railway lines are wreaking havoc with ancient underground magical ley lines, which c...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Open Road Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mislaid Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mislaid Magician

Kelly
This should really be retitled Being the Private Correspondence of Two Families... Which Explains Why It Would Only Be Of Interest to These Two Families. Come on, book, everyone knows the Tolstoy rule of happy families: "All happy families are alike." Which is why one could not be interested in the slightest in reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about them- especially when the excuse of a plot couldn't be more lame, or less suspenseful. Oh, please, do not get me started on the characters- or...more
Lightreads
I read the two sequels to Sorcery and Cecelia in one go. More tales of upper-class nineteenth-century magical England, told by letter and written recollection.

Eh. A lot of the giddy charm of the first book was apparently novelty, because it had really worn off by the end here. And without it you have some generic sort of intrigue, some jokes that aren't actually funny, and historically creepy gender politics. Not bad books, you know? Just nothing more than vaguely neutral, if you know what I mea...more
Elizabeth
Nov 08, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fantasy
The third in the series started by Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (a book that was out of print for many years and only enjoys its current revival thanks to the popularity bestowed to youth fantasy by a certain British author and her bespectacled wizardy brat), this book joins the apparently growing genre of period fantasy written in the style of Jane Austen (the only other example of which I know is Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange Mr Norrell).

If you really enjoy this genre...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
As the title says, this volume picks up 10 years after 'The Grand Tour', and Kate and Cecelia are both settled into their families with Thomas and James and their various broods.

Once again the story is told via letters back and forth, and this has some of the same issues as before - it took me a bit to settle back into which character was which, and had to remind myself at the start of ever perspective change who was who.

(Part of this is just my brain acting in odd ways. As they are written in...more
Hallie
Mixed feelings for me with this one!

At various times I thought; this is funny!; this is a bit dull; this doesn't have the fizz of the first; whoa - ley lines - cool!; this [spoiler] rocks; I'm not quite involved enough to follow all the twists and turns; early days of the railway - fun; What?! It was preventing Cromwell from -- what are you *saying*?!; LEY LINES - very cool!; oh great, now we have a stereotypically bolshie, up-himself Irishman; the [spoiler] is even better now; enough with the...more
Leanna
I only somewhat liked Sorcery and Cecilia, and I did not like The Grand Tour. So why did I put myself through reading the third installment of Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer’s trilogy? Clearly, I am insane.

Like Sorcery, The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years After is written in epistolary form. Cousins Cecilia and Kate correspond with each other (along with occasional, inane missives from their husbands).

I was initially intrigued by Wrede and Stevemer’s writing experiment. The authors exchange...more
Rachel
I genuinely enjoyed this book. I've really liked the series from the time I started it, so I was very excited to continue on with it.

This book follows Kate and Cecelia ten years after the Grand Tour, and now they have children. Both families have stayed connected to one another and are very close. When James is sent to examine railroads and disturbances in Northern England, he and Cecelia leave their children with Kate and Thomas. Although very different stories at first, the views of both coup...more
Margaret
Ten years after the events of The Grand Tour, Kate and Thomas and Cecy and James are settled down on their respective estates with their families, when James is asked to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a German railroad engineer who was traveling in England. The investigation quickly opens a whole can of worms and draws in Kate and Thomas also, as well as other family members (I was particularly pleased to meet Aunt Elizabeth again).

The epistolary story moves along nicely and is cle...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After its prequels, Sorcery and Cecelia and The Grand Tour, this book is just ... sort of average. Not a bad book, but not as exciting as the other two.

13 June 2010: after reading Magic Below Stairs, I thought it would be interesting to give this another look.
Ketrisse
Ordinarily a big fan of both the authors, this was a poor showing for both of their talents. There was too much inundation of technical information that in the end seemed pretty irrelevant and unimportant. The pacing of the story was stilted and extremely slow. The connection to the characters was not strong. I kept waiting for Something, anything exciting to happen. It didn't. All in all I was disappointed that nothing (other then the addition of children) had really changed about the character...more
Angela
Hooray! This third book in the "Cecilia & Kate" series makes a return not only to the epistolary style of the first, but also to the upbeat pace and fun character developments that were missing in the second. It still falls a step behind "Sorcery & Cecelia" in relative plot believability and clarity, but it had some of the same strengths and even a few novelties to recommend it: This time, in addition to letters between Kate & Cecelia, we are privy to letters between Thomas & Jam...more
Erin
Don't get me wrong--even though I didn't rate this book as highly, I did enjoy reading it. Kate and Cecy feel like old friends, and spending a little time with them is always fun.

It's just that I think long-termed wedded bliss is hard to write in an interesting way (not impossible, just hard) and for me it felt like a little bit of the spark was missing. Kate and Cecy as young moms just didn't feel quite as engaging--although the kids were cute!

I did like the plot, which was nice and twisty and...more
Badseedgirl
The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate #3) by Patricia C. Wrede, Caroline Stevermer is much much better than their last novel The Grand Tour. It was better for the reader that they went back to the ideas of a novel by correspondence. Although it had been a while since I had read the first and second books and I had to make a family tree so I could keep track of who belonged to whom.

As suggested by the title, it has been 10 years since the Honeymoon Grand Tour, and both Cecel...more
Kristi
1.5 stars. This third installment in the Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot series follows Cecelia and Kate 10 years after The Grand Tour. There's a mystery involving railroads and ancient magic, and James and Cecelia have gone to investigate. Unsurprisingly, Thomas and Kate find themselves embroiled in the same web of intrigue. And there are also (somewhat blandly) mischievous children.

This book just didn't work for me. I found it profoundly boring and wanted to quit reading...more
Allison
Done! After plenty of skimming through accounts of children's encounters with snakes and frogs, tossed in with some mild magical mystery not nearly captivating enough (although occasionally slightly amusing), I'm just happy to mark this as finished and select the next book to read. Out of the trilogy, the first book was really the only one I would recommend to others.
Deena
I wanted this to be better than it was... I adore the first one, I liked the second one almost as much, and this wasn't bad - but it could have been better.

To their credit, their use of "Drina" was accurate, which pleased me very much. I'd love to see them do additional titles that occur between the second and third volumes in the series.
hpboy13
While this was much better than the last installment. I can attribute this to the return to format – Cecy and Kate’s writing is so much more fun when they’re writing to each other, full of sass and personality and warmth. Cecy remains as awesome as ever, and Kate is evidently much more at home keeping the children in line than having adventures. The kids were fun, and made Kate’s letters enjoyable.

I do wish we hadn’t had to read Thomas and James’s letters – their voices were not distinct in the...more
Rowenna Hawkenswood "We'll ride the gath'ring storm..."
An epistolary format, a mislaid review (several times over, I swear fortune was conspiring against me), a transfigured magician, a settled Regency... The last installment of the Chocolate Pot trilogy.
I'll address the cons first right?
The format creates stilted language in spots, the action and adventure is diluted (but no adventures are lost by the wayside). Of course... when everything is written by the very characters after the fact, suspense is lessened!
In this the two cousins Cecy and Kate...more
Ellie
Lovely! A very fun and quirky read :)
There were some hilarious bits!

'...letters from your children. Do not believe everything they tell you. The part about the snake is true enough, but I assure you there are no basilisks in Thomas' study. I would have noticed.'

'Edward has said very little of his adventure to me, which Kate informs me is my own fault, for roaring at him... P.S Roaring. I like that. I make a few restrained observations and Kate calls it roaring. I wish she could, if only once, ha...more
Marilag
This book probably deserved a little more of a better rating than I gave it, but since most of the amusement was once again near the end, I might as well keep it like this.

The whole fast-forward of ten years later was kind of bittersweet for me; for one, I liked the journey they took getting to where they are now, yet the whole contrast of Cecy and James doing the grunt work versus Kate and Thomas with all the babysitting was refreshing at the same time. Still, I did miss the young couples when...more
Andree
This was highly enjoyable. Much better than the second.

The letters really work well as a narrative device. Better than the 'diary' entries of book two, I think because it allows the two cousins to tell the story to each other, and by extension the reader. This book also seemed more balanced. If anything, it skewed the other way, with more focus on Cecily and James than Kate and Thomas. I also really liked the addition of the letters between the men as well.

I adore Cecily and James. They're both...more
Sophia
An Odd1
Feb-June 1828 letters between (indistinguishable) aristocratic cousins Cecy and Kate, their respective lordly husbands James and Thomas, to all their children (a mob except for older Edward) at Skeynes. Although a country-wide centuries-old conspiracy, treason, and earthquake sound big and important, the plot boils down to little action or conflict. A pleasant interlude in one old-fashioned voice.

From from Tanglewood Hall in Kent, Cecy and James follow the trail of German wizard engineer Herr M...more
Natalie
Ahh! A return to fun. It has been ten years, and the Schofields and Tarletons are well settled in England. When James is sent north to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a German magician/surveyor, Cecy must accompany him. She leaves her four children (inclucing precociously magical twins) with Thomas and Kate, who have children of their own. Each household has its own adventures, yet they are interconnected, of course. Not only do Kate and Cecy correspond at length, but letters betwee...more
Patti
Jul 25, 2009 Patti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like Regency England along with some magic
I would rate this a 4.5 stars. I really love the characters in this trilogy (trilogy so far, anyway). The reason it didn't get 5 stars from me is that there are several confusing points: 1) I couldn't keep the children of the main characters straight, mostly their ages & which parents they belonged to and 2) a very confusing plot point concerning a magical term called "ley lines"--it is very important to the story, yet I still found things a bit confusing.

That said, I love the characters, th...more
Malin

The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After is the third book in a young adult series about cousins Cecilia and Kate, who live in an alternate Regency England where some people have magical powers. Over the course of the first two books, they meet their husbands, go on a Grand Tour of Europe, and solve various mysteries that are magical in nature. If you want to be entirely unspoiled with regards to whom the young ladies end up with, you might want to avoid this review. The book works fine...more
Bethany
The third book in a series that's part Jane Austen, part Harry Potter, and a little bit something all it's own, The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years After does indeed take place ten years after the events in Sorcery and Cecelia and The Grand Tour. It's refreshing to hear the men's voices in the letters amongst themselves, even as Kate and Cecy resume their familiar roles in telling the story via their correspondence. There are magicians, and railways, and British politics, and mysterious dogs all p...more
Kate  K. F.
In the final book of the Sorcery and Cecelia books, Wrede and Stevermer return to the original set up with Kate and Cecelia writing letters to each other though their husbands join in the letters. Most of the story is taken up with tales of their children as well as a mystery that takes place in the north of England and at Kate's home of Steynes. I enjoyed this book as I have all the others but it felt not as tight because it felt as if there was a little too much going on.

The combination of th...more
E.L.
I thoroughly enjoyed all three of Wrede and Stevermer's collaboration books. The Enchanted Chocolate Pot is, no question, the best of the three, but the second two are charming additions to this world that is a blend of reality and fantasy.

My only real complaint with The Mislaid Magician was that Kate (my favorite character of the trilogy, and one of my favorite heroines of all literature) spent the entirety of the book stuck at home, dealing with the domestic end of their troubles and mysteries...more
Indiana
In the 3rd book in the series, ten years have passed since the cousins Kate and Cecy met their matches and got married and went on their honeymoon. Now they are long settled and married with children. But the adventures aren't necessarily over. Railroads are being built all over England and the Duke of Wellington has asked Cecy's husband to investigate the sudden disappearance of a German magician railway engineer. It turns out the the railway lines are wreaking havoc with ancient underground ma...more
  • A Scholar of Magics (A College of Magics, #2)
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • The Quest of the Fair Unknown (The Squire's Tales, #8)
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • A Stranger to Command (Crown & Court 0.5)
  • The Bell at Sealey Head
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #4)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1) Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2) Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3) Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4) Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)

“News of Daniel's disappearance does not alarm me as it might have done a week ago. Given recent events, very little alarms me as it might have done a week ago. I feel as if my supply of alarm has been exhausted, at least temporarily.” 14 likes
“She who laughs last may not invariably laugh best, but she does laugh.” 7 likes