Start by marking “The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)

The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate #3)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  3,093 ratings  ·  333 reviews
Ten years have passed since Kate and Cecy married Thomas and James, and England is now being transformed by the first railways. When the Duke of Wellington asks James to look into the sudden disappearance of a German railway engineer, James and Cecy's search reveals a shocking truth ...

The railway lines are wreaking havoc with ancient underground magical ley lines, which c
Published May 22nd 2012 by Open Road Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mislaid Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mislaid Magician

This should really be retitled Being the Private Correspondence of Two Families... Which Explains Why It Would Only Be Of Interest to These Two Families. Come on, book, everyone knows the Tolstoy rule of happy families: "All happy families are alike." Which is why one could not be interested in the slightest in reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about them- especially when the excuse of a plot couldn't be more lame, or less suspenseful. Oh, please, do not get me started on the characters- or ...more
I read the two sequels to Sorcery and Cecelia in one go. More tales of upper-class nineteenth-century magical England, told by letter and written recollection.

Eh. A lot of the giddy charm of the first book was apparently novelty, because it had really worn off by the end here. And without it you have some generic sort of intrigue, some jokes that aren't actually funny, and historically creepy gender politics. Not bad books, you know? Just nothing more than vaguely neutral, if you know what I mea
Nov 08, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fantasy
The third in the series started by Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (a book that was out of print for many years and only enjoys its current revival thanks to the popularity bestowed to youth fantasy by a certain British author and her bespectacled wizardy brat), this book joins the apparently growing genre of period fantasy written in the style of Jane Austen (the only other example of which I know is Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange Mr Norrell).

If you really enjoy this genre
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
As the title says, this volume picks up 10 years after 'The Grand Tour', and Kate and Cecelia are both settled into their families with Thomas and James and their various broods.

Once again the story is told via letters back and forth, and this has some of the same issues as before - it took me a bit to settle back into which character was which, and had to remind myself at the start of ever perspective change who was who.

(Part of this is just my brain acting in odd ways. As they are written in
Mixed feelings for me with this one!

At various times I thought; this is funny!; this is a bit dull; this doesn't have the fizz of the first; whoa - ley lines - cool!; this [spoiler] rocks; I'm not quite involved enough to follow all the twists and turns; early days of the railway - fun; What?! It was preventing Cromwell from -- what are you *saying*?!; LEY LINES - very cool!; oh great, now we have a stereotypically bolshie, up-himself Irishman; the [spoiler] is even better now; enough with the
Meghan Krogh
Oct 06, 2015 Meghan Krogh marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
2% in and it's just unreadable. "this fortnight past," "I shall not mention," "My only regret." Stilted and rusty; too many good books left to read this year to carry on with this one.
I only somewhat liked Sorcery and Cecilia, and I did not like The Grand Tour. So why did I put myself through reading the third installment of Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer’s trilogy? Clearly, I am insane.

Like Sorcery, The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years After is written in epistolary form. Cousins Cecilia and Kate correspond with each other (along with occasional, inane missives from their husbands).

I was initially intrigued by Wrede and Stevemer’s writing experiment. The authors exchange
I genuinely enjoyed this book. I've really liked the series from the time I started it, so I was very excited to continue on with it.

This book follows Kate and Cecelia ten years after the Grand Tour, and now they have children. Both families have stayed connected to one another and are very close. When James is sent to examine railroads and disturbances in Northern England, he and Cecelia leave their children with Kate and Thomas. Although very different stories at first, the views of both coup
Ten years after the events of The Grand Tour, Kate and Thomas and Cecy and James are settled down on their respective estates with their families, when James is asked to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a German railroad engineer who was traveling in England. The investigation quickly opens a whole can of worms and draws in Kate and Thomas also, as well as other family members (I was particularly pleased to meet Aunt Elizabeth again).

The epistolary story moves along nicely and is cle
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
After its prequels, Sorcery and Cecelia and The Grand Tour, this book is just ... sort of average. Not a bad book, but not as exciting as the other two.

13 June 2010: after reading Magic Below Stairs, I thought it would be interesting to give this another look.
While I enjoyed the view of raising upper crust children in magical Victorian England, the novelty has worn off and the plot got a little too tedious in this entry of the trilogy.

I still admire the author's view and character set up, but it was a lackluster ending to what is obviously a lot of work.
Nora Adamek
So, same issue I had with the other letters. I was enjoying the volley and all of a sudden the end came. Liked the letters from Thomas and James, gave more insight to how useless these men would be without their wives!
Ordinarily a big fan of both the authors, this was a poor showing for both of their talents. There was too much inundation of technical information that in the end seemed pretty irrelevant and unimportant. The pacing of the story was stilted and extremely slow. The connection to the characters was not strong. I kept waiting for Something, anything exciting to happen. It didn't. All in all I was disappointed that nothing (other then the addition of children) had really changed about the character ...more
Hooray! This third book in the "Cecilia & Kate" series makes a return not only to the epistolary style of the first, but also to the upbeat pace and fun character developments that were missing in the second. It still falls a step behind "Sorcery & Cecelia" in relative plot believability and clarity, but it had some of the same strengths and even a few novelties to recommend it: This time, in addition to letters between Kate & Cecelia, we are privy to letters between Thomas & Jam ...more
Don't get me wrong--even though I didn't rate this book as highly, I did enjoy reading it. Kate and Cecy feel like old friends, and spending a little time with them is always fun.

It's just that I think long-termed wedded bliss is hard to write in an interesting way (not impossible, just hard) and for me it felt like a little bit of the spark was missing. Kate and Cecy as young moms just didn't feel quite as engaging--although the kids were cute!

I did like the plot, which was nice and twisty and
I am incredibly torn in my thoughts about The Mislaid Magician. On the one hand, I loved Sorcery and Cecelia so much that I cannot help but like this one, the last in the trilogy. On the other hand, I felt that Sorcery and Cecelia had something that was missing in the next two books, which was a subtle sort of cheekiness and fun. The fun was missing for me, especially in this book, as the plots got more complicated. Sure, there are fun moments, but it’s not underriding the whole novel as with S ...more
The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate #3) by Patricia C. Wrede, Caroline Stevermer is much much better than their last novel The Grand Tour. It was better for the reader that they went back to the ideas of a novel by correspondence. Although it had been a while since I had read the first and second books and I had to make a family tree so I could keep track of who belonged to whom.

As suggested by the title, it has been 10 years since the Honeymoon Grand Tour, and both Cecel
This was an okay book but has lost some of the charm of the first book. I'm not sure if it was the addition of Thomas and James as narrators but it was nice to get their viewpoint. And it was nice to return to letter-writing as opposed to the diaries of the last book which just didn't work as well for me.
It is now 10 years after the second book (and the first, actually). Kate and Cecelia are now old married women and mothers of ... well, a lot of children. Some of whom are beginning to show sign
1.5 stars. This third installment in the Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot series follows Cecelia and Kate 10 years after The Grand Tour. There's a mystery involving railroads and ancient magic, and James and Cecelia have gone to investigate. Unsurprisingly, Thomas and Kate find themselves embroiled in the same web of intrigue. And there are also (somewhat blandly) mischievous children.

This book just didn't work for me. I found it profoundly boring and wanted to quit reading
Done! After plenty of skimming through accounts of children's encounters with snakes and frogs, tossed in with some mild magical mystery not nearly captivating enough (although occasionally slightly amusing), I'm just happy to mark this as finished and select the next book to read. Out of the trilogy, the first book was really the only one I would recommend to others.
I wanted this to be better than it was... I adore the first one, I liked the second one almost as much, and this wasn't bad - but it could have been better.

To their credit, their use of "Drina" was accurate, which pleased me very much. I'd love to see them do additional titles that occur between the second and third volumes in the series.
While this was much better than the last installment. I can attribute this to the return to format – Cecy and Kate’s writing is so much more fun when they’re writing to each other, full of sass and personality and warmth. Cecy remains as awesome as ever, and Kate is evidently much more at home keeping the children in line than having adventures. The kids were fun, and made Kate’s letters enjoyable.

I do wish we hadn’t had to read Thomas and James’s letters – their voices were not distinct in the
If you can get past the opening 50 or so pages, filled with letters about sick children (between the two Kate and Cecy have about 20) the story eventually picks up and gets more interesting. James and Cecy head north to investigate a missing railway inspector and stumble on a treasonous plot. Meanwhile Kate and Thomas remain fixed at their home, saddled with not only their brood and James and Cecy's but with Georgy too. The story is once again on letter form which I think works better than the w ...more
S. H.
The Cecelia & Kate series consists of Sorcery and Cecelia, or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot; The Grand Tour, or The Purloined Coronation Regalia; and The Mislaid Magician, or Ten Years After. The trilogy is a series of young adult novels, mysteries set in an AU post-Napoelonic England where magic is real, and feature the writings of the titular cousins Cecelia and Kate.

I’m reviewing them together because what I have to say about one applies to them all, which is: all three novels are fun.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
An epistolary format, a mislaid review (several times over, I swear fortune was conspiring against me), a transfigured magician, a settled Regency... The last installment of the Chocolate Pot trilogy.
I'll address the cons first right?
The format creates stilted language in spots, the action and adventure is diluted (but no adventures are lost by the wayside). Of course... when everything is written by the very characters after the fact, suspense is lessened!
In this the two cousins Cecy and Kate
Well this was fun although the main characters were a bit more subdued, which I attribute them to being ten years older than the teenage selves they were in the earlier books. They were also in a bit less peril. That said it was still an entertaining mystery. And wow Cecy has been productive. The authors returned to letter correspondence style with the addition of including James and Thomas's letters this time around. I would actually be interested in further books featuring the exploits of youn ...more
Tales Untangled
The cousins are separated to solve this mystery of the missing magician. Cecy and her husband, James, play the larger role in the mystery and politics. Kate has ended up taking care of all the children while Thomas tries to escape the domestic uproar. I like the format with the women writing to each other along with their husbands' pragmatic letters. Cecy continues to be spirited and Kate learns her powers are more extensive than she expected. I almost hate to tell you this, but...

To read the fu
Lovely! A very fun and quirky read :)
There were some hilarious bits!

'...letters from your children. Do not believe everything they tell you. The part about the snake is true enough, but I assure you there are no basilisks in Thomas' study. I would have noticed.'

'Edward has said very little of his adventure to me, which Kate informs me is my own fault, for roaring at him... P.S Roaring. I like that. I make a few restrained observations and Kate calls it roaring. I wish she could, if only once, ha
This book probably deserved a little more of a better rating than I gave it, but since most of the amusement was once again near the end, I might as well keep it like this.

The whole fast-forward of ten years later was kind of bittersweet for me; for one, I liked the journey they took getting to where they are now, yet the whole contrast of Cecy and James doing the grunt work versus Kate and Thomas with all the babysitting was refreshing at the same time. Still, I did miss the young couples when
This was highly enjoyable. Much better than the second.

The letters really work well as a narrative device. Better than the 'diary' entries of book two, I think because it allows the two cousins to tell the story to each other, and by extension the reader. This book also seemed more balanced. If anything, it skewed the other way, with more focus on Cecily and James than Kate and Thomas. I also really liked the addition of the letters between the men as well.

I adore Cecily and James. They're both
  • A Scholar of Magics (A College of Magics, #2)
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • A Stranger to Command
  • The Twelfth Enchantment
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #4)
  • Of Noble Family (Glamourist Histories, #5)
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • Od Magic
  • In the King's Service (The Childe Morgan #1)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Cecelia and Kate (4 books)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Grand Tour (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Magic Below Stairs
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1) Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2) Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3) Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4) Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)

“News of Daniel's disappearance does not alarm me as it might have done a week ago. Given recent events, very little alarms me as it might have done a week ago. I feel as if my supply of alarm has been exhausted, at least temporarily.” 18 likes
“She who laughs last may not invariably laugh best, but she does laugh.” 8 likes