Start by marking “The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)

The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecelia and Kate #2)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  5,646 Ratings  ·  518 Reviews
On their honeymoons, Kate and Cecelia confront a plot against Europe Ocean voyages do not agree with wizards, and seasickness during the Channel crossing is the price Cecelia must pay for her budding magical skill. As her nausea ebbs, she is comforted by her new husband, James, and the knowledge that at long last they are on their honeymoon. In their company is Cecelia’s c ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Open Road Young Readers (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Grand Tour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grand Tour

Res
Jun 08, 2007 Res rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
The one where Cecy and Kate and their husbands go on a marriage tour of Europe and wind up entangled in a plot.

I'm afraid this lacks a good deal of the charm of Sorcery and Cecelia. It's longer, and more conventional in structure, and while we still get first-person accounts from both Kate and Cecy, they're not talking to each other, so we lose those hints at the cousins' relationship that made the first book so much fun.

My first problem here is that I still can't tell the people apart -- not K
Kelly
Not as evocative as the first. It doesn't pull you in when you start it, and it doesn't hook you afterwards. Unfortunately, the characters are rather boring in this- it might have something to do with the format- there's a switch from the epistolary layout of the first to a diary/testimony layout, and it really is not at all effective. It makes the story seem flat and dull. It doesn't help that the two title characters have become even more boring- Kate has turned into a wilting flower who only ...more
Natalie
This book was cumbersome. Again, the authors engaged in the Letter Game, but this time the main characters, Kate and Cecily were side by side, involved in the same plot. It was interesting to see the different points of view with which they approached each event, but the way the story was set up, it was fraught with problems that plagued the plot and made the story drag.
Cousins Kate and Cecy are on their honeymoons – touring Europe with their husbands, who are best of friends. They stumble ac
Maura
Jan 24, 2012 Maura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
1. do not attempt to read this without first reading Sorcery and Cecelia -- it will simply not make much sense.

2. i love Sorcery and Cecelia -- while it's fluff, it's terribly well written fluff. and it's in epistolary format, which i'm a sucker for. i think it's safe to say it's one of the most re-read books on my shelf.

3. this doesn't evoke nearly as much love. which disappointed me greatly for about the first half of the book. eventually the plot engaged me enough to get over it. so if you to
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Like the first book, we get the story from the perspective of the two protagonists, Kate and Cecy, through their writings; however, instead of letters written back and forth between the two we get Kate's entries from her "commonplace" book - pretty much a diary - and Cecy's deposition of the incident.

It didn't work quite as well in this book as it did in the first.

For one thing, everyone is together on the Wedding/Mystery Tour, so it makes less sense to have it written this way - though it i
Wiebke (1book1review)
Sadly this book is lacking the fun and lightheartedness of the first book. For the most part of the book nothing really happens and the two narrators lose themselves in descriptions, whining and not saying anything.
The end revived some of what I enjoyed about the first time we met these characters, but this just had me wishing they would get to the point and flirt more.
Mike
Feb 18, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty much exactly what I was expecting: more of what I got in Sorcery & Cecilia. This is a good thing. It’s a fun, lighthearted adventure with great characters, some truly funny dialogue, and a goat.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount read: 33%

Though the plot is moving at a faster pace than book one, the episodic nature of the mystery and the lack of character development equals a lack of investment. I was going to force myself through it since it's bought the eBook, but life is short and this book is long.
May 18, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, read-in-2009
Summary: I was disappointed in this book, but if you liked the first, you should go ahead and plow through this one. The third is better, but you might need background information from this one to understand it.

I was excited about reading this after reading Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot Being the Correspondence of Two Young Ladies of Quality Regarding Various Magical Scandals in London and the Country; unfortunately, this one did not work as well.
Instead of using letters bet
hpboy13
The Grand Tour is an enjoyable historical fantasy book, but it unfortunately lacks the charm of its predecessor. This can be attributed solely to Kate’s character. If I recall correctly, Kate was spunky and sassy and fun in the first book. Here, she has transformed into a bog-standard nineteenth-century brat. Out of nowhere, she got social anxiety, to the point where she’s afraid to hire a maid. She barely does anything except worry about the others and babble on about opera. She whines and whin ...more
Britain
Dec 31, 2011 Britain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-clean-fun
I gave this book five stars because it is worth reading, even though it is not as good as the first one. The thing that didn't work quite so well this time was exactly what made the first one great: the Letter Game. In this book, the cousins' adventures are taken from their personal accounts of the story. Cecelia is writing to a public government audience, while Kate writes in her journal. I preferred the private entries to the public ones. They were more in keeping with the style of the first b ...more
Cathy
Jan 05, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book, this was a bit slow and slightly difficult to work through. The story won me over, though, and I powered through the boring bits.

One thing that really irritated me about this book was the fact that several parts of the story were repeated. It is told from the perspectives of two cousins, each taking a turn to fill in a part of their story. But when one ended and the next began, there was often a summarization of the chapter that had just ended, which was unnecessary and f
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during Regency Magic (March & April 2015)

Cecelia and Kate are back in action, together not separate for this adventure, and they're bringing their new spouses along for the honeymoon. Though Kate doesn't think there's any chance she's going to get used to being called Lady Schofield, much as Cecelia is having a hard time remembering she is Mrs. Tarleton, nevertheless they are in wedded bliss. Heading to the continent with Kate
Chessela Helm
Jun 25, 2017 Chessela Helm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cecy and Kate's European adventure is stalled by some baddies that are the outside of enough. They and their new husbands explore the continent while engaging in even more shenanigans. Possibly more hilarious than book one.
Meghan C.
Aug 18, 2014 Meghan C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
What can I say? I suppose if I'm being fair, the tagline for this review can be summed up as "not as bad as I remembered". It pains me to not be able to shower praise down on this book. It really does. But I can't will a book to be stellar (would that I could).

I read this book the first time when it was orginally release in a fevered state of excitement that turned quickly to despair. This time around I went in with my expectation bar on its lowest setting and was able to find somethings to enjo
Karen Keyte
Newly (and very happily) married, cousins Kate and Cecy are ready to make their shared wedding journey on the Continent with their estimable husbands, Thomas and James. Both young ladies have romantic and exciting plans for their tour - shopping expeditions in Paris, viewing historical antiquities, visiting the opera - and it's not as if their expectations won't be met. Most assuredly, they will be. But the double-honeymoon will also include magic, intrigue, kidnapping and peril, Kate and Cecy j ...more
Treasa
In this sequel to Sorcery and Cecelia, we again follow the two cousins, Kate and Cecy, this time as they travel together (with their husbands) on their wedding trip. What was supposed to be a relaxing tour of Europe turns into a frantic race to stop an unknown enemy. As the four friends travel around Europe, they gradually pick up pieces of the puzzle, leading them to a surprising and magic-filled ending.

I didn't love this book as much as the first, but I still really enjoyed it. Like the first
Molly Westerman
May 08, 2012 Molly Westerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, ya-teen
The second installment in the Cecelia and Kate series proved an ideal on-my-way-to-bed book for the first few weeks after having a baby: light, quick, and interesting. It's not terribly deep, but it's quite fun.

Sorcery and Cecelia is told through letters written between cousins Kate and Cecelia in a magic-endowed version of Regency England; The Grand Tour follows the same characters as they travel around Europe with their new husbands and a few servants (who are appealing new characters). Since
Margaret
The Grand Tour follows Kate and Cecy of Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot on their joint honeymoon through Europe with their new husbands.

Kate's entries are in the form of a journal, while Cecy's are from a deposition given to the authorities after the events of the book; this makes for a slight disjunction between the heroines, as the reader gets to see Kate's inmost thoughts but not Cecy's. I thought the epistolary style of the first book worked better, though of course it wo
Joseph Teller
Jul 17, 2012 Joseph Teller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel of 'Sorcery and Cecelia' and again a collaboration between Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermar.

This is written in a combination of personal diary/journal entries, parts of an official deposition to the British Ministry of Magic, Foreign Office and War Office on a series of events that the characters become involved in while on their 'Grand Tour' (a traveling Honeymoon) across Europe.

It's heavier in dialogue than the previous novel, which I found made it a much easier and more p
Marie
Apr 22, 2013 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
On the plus side, Kate and Cecy are more distinguishable as characters than in the first book. The blend of history and mythology and magic is fun. On the other hand, I found it hard to relate to the main characters' opulent, privileged lifestyle, and hard to feel sympathetic toward their missing gloves and bumpy carriage rides and the awkwardness of interviewing French maids. The first book built suspense with romantic (but very chaste) tension, whereas this one relies on magical and political ...more
Kathryn
The sequel to Sorcery and Cecelia lives up to the charm and entertainment of the first. Kate, Thomas, Cecy, and James decide to go on their wedding journey together, taking a grand tour of Europe (as was common for wealthy young Englishmen in those days) (the grand tour, that is, not the dual wedding journey. Those weren't all that common).

Naturally, the four, together with Thomas's mother, can't help but find themselves embroiled in another adventure; in this case, bits of coronation regalia f
Dec 19, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much too long. I was forcing myself through by half-way and even though I made it to the end, I'm not sure it was worth it.
Not a bad story, it has lots of twists and turns, but nothing unusual or spectacular. Lots of "Regency" names thrown in, like Beau Brummel and the Duke of Wellington. However, I didn't find their characters added particularly to the story.
The main characters, whether Kate or Cecy, are still very similar except that Kate has become incredibly pathetic and Cecy incredibly ins
Amy
This is a sequel to Sorcery and Cecelia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot. I loved the first book because it was a compelling, fun, quick read. This book was a bit harder to follow. (Or maybe I was more distracted during this one.)

However, if you liked the first book, you will most likely enjoy this follow-up story. Instead of letters, Cecy is writing a deposition and Kate is simply writing in her journal. Because the format of Kate's entries are more personal, I seemed to enjoy her portions emens
Sarah Sammis
Jan 18, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished reading The Grand Tour (the sequel to Sorcery and Cecilia) and I enjoyed it thoroughly. As the four main characters are together in their adventure this time the story is far more coherent. The characters are allowed to interact from the get go rather than waiting for the details to slowly filter through the back and forth letters. This time the story is told in diary form (again from Cecy and Kate's POV's) and all I can say is that Cecy and Kate are far better diary writers t ...more
Wealhtheow
The sequel to Sorcery and Cecilia is significantly less charming than its predecessor. I had a hard time remember which character was which, and who was married to who. I had an equally difficult time caring about the plot. From Kelly's review of the third book, it doesn't look like the series gets much better. Save yourself the effort and reread Dealing with Dragons or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell.
Tria
As with the first book, ebook editing isn't great & it could have done with a Britpicker, and those things are a shame because they tend rather to distract my OCD-frustrated brain & detract from what is otherwise an excellent trilogy altogether. 4 stars.

NTS: Must remember to fix the series title in the GR title; her name is spelled Cecelia, not Cecilia, though the latter form was far more common in Britain in the Regency than the former...
Aug 22, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if I am going to make it through this. I liked the other two. This one so far is a little boring. We'll see. I am in a real cotton candy sort of reading mood and this series fits the bill.

Really got bored reading this. couldn't keep going. Not as lively or entertaining as the other two books in the series. Lots of descriptions of travel and concern with manners and it just moved way too slowly and the characters became super conventional.
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
Another enjoyable romp as Cecy and Kate take a Continental tour with their newlywed husbands. But magical complications ensue, requiring that they chase down their opponents to stop magical crowning of He Who Would Rule Europe. Except the so-called anointed He Who Would has a mind of his own somewhat different from the desires of those who would manipulate him....

Good fun read.
Justine
Feb 13, 2017 Justine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Grand Tour, or The Purloined Coronation Regalia, picks up where Sorcery and Cecelia ended, with the nuptials of our two heroic couples and, what else, their grand honeymoon tour through Europe. As they embark on a trip across continental Europe, they of course stumble upon a plot that may involve Napoleonists (gasp!) and may put all of Europe in danger! More ladylike gasps!

Similar to the first book, the second is written from alternating points of view between Kate (now Lady Schofield) and
Elizabeth
The Grand Tour continues the fun of Sorcery & Cecelia, with even more intrigue, danger, and adventure. While I’m unsure of how, exactly, magic works in this world, Cecelia and Thomas do and experience some awesome things with it, and Kate has a particularly awesome moment in the end, as well. I also love the concept of knitting letters to other people.

Stevermer and Wrede do a really good job with the plot, building it up with little mysteries and hints and then bringing it all together in th
Azmylle H
Apr 05, 2014 Azmylle H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very engaging read about travelling around Europe, which what I really love about. Besides, there were a lot of tourist attractions about the historical ruins explained as the main characters ventured from one place to another, which included Milan, Rome, Paris, Venice, etc. Surprisingly, there were some influence of the Rome and Greek history which contributed to the development of the conflicts, magically. And it was nice reading about both newly wed couples on their non-so-typical honeymoon t ...more
Kristi
This novel picks up right where Cecilia and Kate left off in Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot. Cecilia and Kate have just married James and Thomas (respectively), and now the four are off on a grand tour of Europe for their honeymoon. Along the way, they suddenly find themselves embroiled in a web of mystery and deceit; someone seems to be stealing artifacts, and there are a number of suspicious characters running around Europe. The grand tour becomes a cover for unmasking a ...more
Linda
hmm... not as good as the first one, for sure. the first half bored me. just SO SLOW and i had no idea why i should care about the regalia at all. in fact, things didn't really pick up until the end, when they finally figured out what was going on and started actually DOING useful things. before that, everyone was following potential leads willy-nilly, with lots of dead ends. and at the same time, there wasn't a sense of urgency or high stakes. there was very little danger to the characters, and ...more
Kelsey Dangelo
Jul 06, 2016 Kelsey Dangelo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cecy and Kate are newlyweds to their beloved Thomas and James, and are taking a honeymoon tour of the continent: magical Regency France, Switzerland, and Italy. But, naturally, there is something amiss as they are robbed by highwaymen and someone is trying to steal ancient coronation artifacts in order to gain power over all Europe. Kate is discovering her own unique powers, beyond just being clumsy, and Cecy is practicing hers. Thomas and James are enchanting, literally and figuratively.
This i
Badseedgirl
Apr 06, 2014 Badseedgirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Disappointment is the word that best describes my reaction to The Grand Tour: Or The Purloined Coronation Regalia, the second novel in Patricia Wrede and Carol Stevermers’ second novel in their “Cecelia and Kate” book series. I absolutely fell in love with the way that these two authors wrote the first book in the series, each author writing as a character in letter form to the other. The novelty of this, and learning information as the character did was one of the things I just adored about the ...more
Vickey Foggin
I will join the chorus of reviewers starting with "it's not as fun as the first one". First, the girls aren't writing to each other anymore so we don't get their hilarious reactions to the events at hand. Second, they've changed from curious and confident women of action to tedious bores who mainly say "yes dear" when their husbands tell them not to do things and describe the inside of the carriage as they travel from city to city. Third, each girl is keeping a diary about the same boring grind ...more
Katie
I first read this book probably around ten years ago, but every time I pick it up it feels like the first time. The characters are comforting in how similar they are to the first novel, but it adds a new level of excitement to finally have an adventure where Cecy and Kate are together. I think the way the authors decided to carry out their letter game this time around was very clever, rather than trying to have the girls writing their letters to other people. I also just really love the concept ...more
Kate
I very much enjoyed this sequel Cecy and Kate are very sweet heroines. There husbands are quite fun. In found their relationships to be adorable. The plot was well done. I didn't figure out the principle villains until the end, although I am sure that others could figure things out before me. I am notoriously slow at plot points.
Erin
not as good as the first one. i don't agree with reviews that say Cecelia and Kate took a passive role here -- they were MORE passive than in the first book, but that's more because Thomas and James actually came into their own. I also don't agree that the diary/deposition didn't work. I liked the diary a lot, it maintained the charm of seeing Kate's inner thoughts and humor. It was the deposition that was a little lacking for me -- obviously the personal touches of Cecelia's and James's relatio ...more
Shelley Jones
I read this book as part of the Eclectic Reader Challenge, under the category of Epistolary Fiction.

Though I didn't hate this book, I didn't really like it. Despite really, really liking the first book in the series, "Sorcery and Cecelia", "The Grand Tour" didn't seem to quite have the same magic. Not much seemed to happen in the book until the last hundred pages. The main characters seemed fairly passive, with stuff happening to them rather then them happening to everyone else. This was disapp
Inoli
Still love these characters. The "newness" of getting to know them can't exist in a sequel, of course. This gets extremely exciting now and then as the first one did and the authors still do the more mundane in an entertaining manner.
Christine
Not nearly as good as Book 1. It was too long, and I just couldn't get into the drawn-out plot. Book 3 was better - I'd almost recommend reading Book 1 then skipping to Book 3 (but still with lowered expectations for the sequel).
Sean
Oct 21, 2007 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this book is so forgettable that it wasn't until I was 95% finished with it that I realized that I had actually read it before, instead of giving up on it like I had thought.

The first book was fun. This one was dumb.
Patty
A sequel to Sorcery & Cecelia, Kate and Cecelia go on their honeymoon across Europe, though the trip quickly turns from tourism to a race to prevent a magical spell which will conquer all of Europe. It's still an epistolary novel, though instead of letters, one character writes a diary and the other's story is told through a "deposition". This is a really weird conceit that didn't work at all for me; the characters are much less engaging and fun when they're no longer having a conversation b ...more
  • A Scholar of Magics (A College of Magics, #2)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • The Secret Country (The Secret Country, #1)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #3)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Cecelia and Kate (4 books)
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • Magic Below Stairs