Start by marking “Kekkaishi, Vol. 01 (Kekkaishi, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kekkaishi, Vol. 01 (Kekkaishi, #1)

Kekkaishi, Vol. 01 (Kekkaishi #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,027 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
By night, junior high student Yoshimori Sumimura is a "kekkaishi" - a demon-hunter who specializes in creating magical barriers around his prey. By day, Yoshimori's got some other demons to battle: an addiction to sweets and a seriously crotchety grandfather! Yoshimori's pretty 16-year-old neighbour and childhood friend, Tokine Yukimura, is also a kekkaishi, but their fami ...more
Published May 3rd 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 18th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kekkaishi, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kekkaishi, Vol. 01

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
182nd out of 867 books — 3,253 voters
Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 by Hiro MashimaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Best Manga Books Ever
49th out of 172 books — 95 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy Thorne
Jun 03, 2010 Amy Thorne rated it really liked it
I started (then stopped, then started again) this series thinking it was standard shonen fare and totally unnoteworthy, but that's not actually true. It's long-running (verily, no surefire mark of quality, but in this case the mangaka found her footing in pretty short order and built a solid world with some organic wiggle room) and the characters are distinct and sharp. Yoshimori has some of that typical Shonen Hero syndrome (bit on the bumbling/lazy side but holds SUPER IMMENSE POWER and will d ...more
SPWinchester
Feb 16, 2016 SPWinchester rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-concluded
Status: Completato

Devo ancora capire come sia possibile che questo manga non abbia avuto successo in Italia, è uno shounen completo che non viene per nulla apprezzato!
Meriterebbe molto più seguito!
In questi 35 numeri troverete: azione, amicizia, suspance, comicità, combattimenti, misteri, tattiche e intrighi, realismo psicologico, maturazione e ottima caratterizzazione sia dei protagonisti che degli antagonisti che dei personaggi secondari.
Il tutto è delineato da un tratto pulito sia per gli sfo
Maki
Dec 24, 2015 Maki rated it liked it
I like the premise of this series, but...

I think most of the problem I had here is that the main character, Yoshimori, isn't established very well in this first book. Oh, his character traits are there - he's being pushed into the family business of monster hunting by his grandfather, when he really wants to work with sweets. He has a hard time juggling his duties as a kekkaishi and school, and usually ends up sleeping through his classes. He's overprotective of his childhood friend/rival/love i
cindy
Status: Completed (35 series)

Review of the whole series.
Sumimura Yoshimori and Yukimura Tokine are both school teenager with night's job, protectors of the sacred land called Karasumori. This land attracted ayakashi -demons- that hungry to suck up its power, so every night they have to banished demons that come to close to it. While Tokine take this responsibilty by heart, Yoshimori reluctants to do so, until one day, Tokine got hurt by a demon because of his carelessness. From that time on, he
Karen
Oct 29, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
With a funny, earnest and solid start, Kekkaishi makes its mark as a refreshing addition to the overplayed shounen genre. Kekkaishi details the life of Yoshimori Sumimura as he works to improve in his family business - hunting ayakashi aka demons. Despite the hardships of mastering demon catching techniques, Yoshimura is burdened with the pressure of triumphing as the real heir to the Kekkaishi art against his family rival the Yukimura clan next door. But with Tokine Yukimura as a childhood frie ...more
Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads)
I just reviewed this on my blog a few hours ago.
To view the full review, click here Kekkaishi Volume 1 by Yellow Tanabe

This is the first book in the Kekkaishi series. I read and finished this yesterday. I was actually thinking about reading this series and watching the anime for the past two years, I don't know why I didn't until now.

Sex: No
Gore: No
Magic: Yes (they have barrier making powers and some kind of exploding power, which I consider to be magic)

Romance: (This one's kind of hard to rate
hujanlia
Mar 27, 2011 hujanlia rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Karasumori landlord and his descendants have very high spiritual powers in which can make demons grow dreadfully bigger, stronger and fierceful.
After all of the Karasumori descendants passed away due to a horrifying incidents, the spiritual power didn't wash away and stays in the land where the Karasumori castle used to stand.
The power that envelopes the area lures demons to come to that place.

It is the job of the Sumimura clan and Yukimura clan as 'kekkaishi' to banish those demons who visit th
Alison (AlisonCanRead)
Jul 24, 2011 Alison (AlisonCanRead) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Kekkaishi is my first shonen manga - manga targeted more to boys than to girls. It's refreshing to read about something other than romantic tension once in awhile. Kekkaishi is the tale of the Hatfields and the McCoys...err the Capulets and Montagues...err the Sumimuras and Yukimuras. Aren't all family rivalries essentially the same? Both are demon fighting families and have been so for centuries. Despite living next door, they hate each other. Or at least the grandma and grandpa do. The younger ...more
Alexander Case
May 01, 2014 Alexander Case rated it liked it
Shelves: anime-manga
This is a very weak start to the series. The stakes are very low, and I can't I don't have any real driving story for the series in future volumes, unless they're planning on making it a High School Romance series with occasional magical action, which is a plot I'd expect from a light novel series (or an adaptation thereof) not a manga in Shonen Jump. Maybe it will pick up next volume.
Sentot Gurun Setiawan
sudah lama bacanya, ngikuti animenya yg ternyata hanya sampai ch 10 (atau sebelas hehe saya lupa). Alur cerita versi anime sedikit berbeda karena penasaran dengan episode animenya yg nggak dilanjutin, akhirnya ngikuti manganya sampai habis. Sayangnya endingnya seperti agak terburu-buru cepat diselesaikan keliatanya :)
Hardian
Nov 17, 2013 Hardian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dulu pas nonton animenya di TV lokal rasanya benar-benar menarik. Konsep kekkai dan variasinya yang tak disangka cukup banyak dan efektif, benar-benar menarik. Untuk sebuah shounen, menurutku Kekkaishi adalah salah satu yang low profile, yang mana keberadaannya cukup langka. Tapi kesederhanaan konsep dan cerita (yang awal-awalnya episodic -- lebih mengingatkan dengan genre slice-of-life) membuatnya menggali hal-hal yang tidak terduga karena batasan yang dibuatnya, cerdas.

Tidak sabar sampai arcny
Megan Sanchez
Jun 10, 2012 Megan Sanchez rated it it was amazing
This really is one of the best random library pick-up manga I've read in a while. I knew nothing about this except that the cover looked cool, a choice with somethings horrible consequences in my recent experience. Not only did I love every single character from our hero Yoshimori (a young demon hunter who just wants to bake cakes) to his grumpy grandfather to the talking demon dogs, the story was well-paced with a great blend of humor and action. The art is consistent and expressive, telling ju ...more
Roxanne
Sep 14, 2010 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book for the main fact that the author was very creative when making this manga and its very unique from so many others that i have read. In addition, the main chracters Yoshimori and Tokine have their own unique chracterictics as well as personality that drives the readers to want to read more. For example the bond that Yoshimori and Tokine have shows true love and friendship that can never be broken and a moral lesson to protect those u truly cherish. In my opinion the a ...more
Seregil
Aug 28, 2012 Seregil rated it really liked it
Today I managed to finish reading all of the volumes of this manga. It was quite an adventure!
This is a very good shounen manga- the characters are interesting, their supernatural abilities seem simple but they use them in imaginative ways and the overall plot is complex. I also never got the feeling of boredom reading this. There is a lot of action and important characters can die (or change a lot).
The last volume made me tear up a bit even though it wasn't really written to be a tearjerker.
Th
Deckard Ra
Jul 31, 2016 Deckard Ra rated it it was amazing
This review will attempt to condense the entire manga series into a few short sentences.

Power, at what price?

Love, at what price?

Death, at what price?

Fudz
Nov 17, 2008 Fudz rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Komik yag satu ini tergolong unik. Knp?
Yah selain citarasa cerita yang berbeda juga dibubuhi sdikit humor2 segar, konflik dan yg pling mmbwt penasaran hubungan antra 2 tokoh utamanya. Disebabakan karena berbeda marga dan nenek moyang mereka juga saling bersaing dari dulu kala, maka tidak heran klo terjadi perselisihan, pertengkaran dan adu argumen. Tetapi klo sudah bertemu "ayakashi" alias siluman2 liar, tanpa diperintah mereka bisa kompk satu sama lain.
Jurus yg menurut saya keren a/ketika mengu
Ashley
Feb 04, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Love this series!
Rachel
Aug 11, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Cute manga series about a young boy who is to be a great demon-fighter only he doesn't really want to be. He fights with his family's arch-rival, the beautiful Tokine who is a much better fighter than him and frequently kicks his butt. However, he's forever in love with her and fighting to protect her. Yoshimori's real passion is making cake sculptures and other sweets, which of course his grandfather and elder Kekkaishi abhors as it has nothing to do with fighting.
Susan
Nov 08, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
This is pretty much the epitome of shonen manga: dynamic, attractive art; training to be stronger; fights with the creature of the week. Hopefully we will never go into tournament mode. Also, I love Tokine, who knows she isn't as strong but is determined to master her abilities and leverage what she has. She's far from a damsel in distress, which is a nice change.
Tamara
Sep 28, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Kekkaishi vol.1-3 by Yellow Tanabe
Yoshimori Sumimura and Tokine Yukimura are kekkaishi or barrier masters. They have to eradicate ayakashi or demons.
I like the characters in the story because they seem to hate each other at first without reason until later in the story.
I recommend this story to anyone who likes manga, demons, a little comedy, and some sadness.
Joy
Sep 29, 2007 Joy rated it liked it
The first couple chapters of this manga seemed like your usual shonen fare: middle school boy who has inherited unusual powers runs around fighting ayakashi. Then the story totally surprised me by taking a turn for the wacky (the patissier! Yoshimori's secret ambition!). I am intrigued enough to ILL the next volume.
Zen Cho
Sep 21, 2007 Zen Cho rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, written-by-poc
Quite cute, and I liked the art, but I probably won't be making much effort to read any more -- it looks like standard shounen fare, and nothing else about it really grabbed me.

Passion for confectionery on the shounen hero's part was a nice touch, though. He even looked like Azuma Kazuma with the bandanna.
earthy
Apr 17, 2009 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya, manga, action
Basically the usual shounen drill--young boy has powers, must fight strange monsters, lather, rinse, repeat. The artwork is surprisingly attractive, and three cheers for a female lead who can hold her own, but there's nothing here to really spark my interest in reading the whole series.
Anirudh
May 21, 2014 Anirudh rated it it was ok
Didn't hold my interest for long
Jenna
Feb 01, 2014 Jenna rated it it was ok
Read up to volume two now and I'm starting to enjoy it more, although I don't know what I think of the drawing style. The main character doesn't seem... like a main character design. Will try to read more.
Da
Jun 09, 2011 Da added it
Shelves: qt-4
22nd Kekkaishi, of the Sumimura Clan, Sumimura Yoshimori hunts Ayakashi, who are similar to creatures of the night. As a potential successor, he fights to protect Karasumori which lies in his school grounds.
Vitor Frazão
Jan 08, 2013 Vitor Frazão rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Yokai, exterminadores e boa dose de humor. Uma série com potencial para ser mesmo ao meu gosto, mas ainda tem muito que provar para merecer mais estrelas.
Cherish
Apr 17, 2013 Cherish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
Carolyn
Sep 27, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-graphic
Nothing TOO special about this ,but ooooooh, does it smell so good. I wish I could keep this library copy and bury my face in it.
Ravenhats
Jun 12, 2012 Ravenhats rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars, alright opening premise, the stories and humor are just dull though.
Shounen Manga Boo...: Kekkaishi Discussion 6 15 Apr 22, 2014 01:30PM
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 01 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #1)
  • Pumpkin Scissors 1
  • Basara, Vol. 8
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • Zatch Bell!, Volume 1 (Zatch Bell! #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 25 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #25)
  • Silk #2
  • Ms. Marvel, #13: Crushed!
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
Yellow Tanabe (田辺 イエロウ) is a manga artist.
More about Yellow Tanabe...

Kekkaishi (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 02 (Kekkaishi, #2)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 03 (Kekkaishi, #3)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 04 (Kekkaishi, #4)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 05 (Kekkaishi, #5)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 06 (Kekkaishi, #6)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 07 (Kekkaishi, #7)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 08 (Kekkaishi, #8)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 09 (Kekkaishi, #9)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 10 (Kekkaishi, #10)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 11 (Kekkaishi, #11)