Start by marking “San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.1)” as Want to Read:

San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh #3.1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,993 ratings  ·  234 reviews
It was the summer of 2014, and the true horrors of the Rising were only just beginning to reveal themselves. Fans from all over the world gathered in San Diego, California for the annual comic book and media convention, planning to forget about the troubling rumors of new diseases and walking dead by immersing themselves in a familiar environment. Over the course of five g ...more
Published July 11th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about San Diego 2014, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about San Diego 2014

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
180th out of 1,305 books — 3,800 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
222nd out of 1,012 books — 2,507 voters

More lists with this book...

how do there keep being more of these?? and they aren't even new, i am just only now discovering them, and it is like when you take your winter coat out of storage (or in my case "flung behind the door that is really just for show because of all the stacks of books preventing it from opening) and finding twenty dollars in the pocket. IT WAS THERE ALL ALOOOONG!

photo DSC00189_zpsc1524747.jpg

there is, indeed, a door behind there.

and although this one was in no way as satisfying as countdown, which actually contributed somethi
The book is written with a nod to its brethren in the Newsflesh series: Mahir Gowda, head Newsie of After the End Times has managed to get an exclusive interview with a survivor of the Kellis-Amberlee outbreak that happened on Preview Night of the San Diego Comic Con 2014. While this book is set in the same 'verse as Feed, Deadline, and Blackout, one does not necessarily have to be familiar with the main three books in this series to enjoy this one.

That I read the novel right after San Diego mak
I don't normally like short stories or novellas as I take some time to get invested in the story and characters. I also find that with a lot of these new dystopian series, it really is just a money making scheme and there is not much to the stories. I am very happy to say that this is not true of the Newsflesh trilogy novella's. They are well written and can almost be read a stand alones. They provide inside into areas of the story not covered by the main books. I will definitely be reading the ...more
Sep 09, 2013 sj rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sj by: Ceridwen Sock Puppet
Shelves: grrr-arrgh, yorwtfiw
Things you probably don't know about me:

1. Husband and I were early Firefly-adopters. Somewhere I still have VHS tapes with every episode that aired (along with the cancelled too soon John Doe that no one else seems to care about. DIGGER! [shakes fist]). We went so long not knowing other people who watched (and being unable to convince ANYONE to watch) that it's still kind of shocking to me how many people love it now.

2. My first non-TDMA cell phone was a Nokia 3595, and my ringtone FOREVER was
Sonja Arlow
I really enjoy these novellas that form part of the bigger Newsflesh trilogy – they are like sprinkles on an already awesome cupcake.

And this brings me to say what I always do in my reviews of these books. The Newsflesh trilogy is for people who normally don’t like Zombie books. The bloody-zombie-chasing-and-chomping action is at a bare minimum as the books rely on strong characterization and plausible science to set the scene and propel the plot.

Yes you can read this novella as a stand-alone bu
Melinda Schmidbauer
Why did it take me TEN DAYS to read this short story/novella? Lots of reasons, and all having to do with how well Mira Grant (Seanan McGuire) writes. I think just the title of the book gives some spoilers, and as the story is taking place as part of the zombie uprising that is so well documented in Grant's other books (Feed, Deadline and Blackout), you know someone (and probably more than one someone) is going to die. Grant uses a character we know from the novels, Mahir, to tell the story of th ...more
Another short story from the Mira Grant Newsflesh series. This one, also set during the year of the Rising: 2014. Instead of concerning itself with the virus or any of the larger story of the Masons, this one tells the story of one of the early outbreaks - The San Diego Comic Con of 2014, the last ever Comic Con.

You would think this would be a perfect story for a series that has, so far, been far more about bloggers and nerds than zombies. Unfortunately, what starts out as an absolutely brillian
Going into the story, you know how it's going to end. Everything, from the title to the narration to the dialogue, points to that end. Yet, as you read, you still have hope that the end will be averted somehow, that these people can escape their fates. Then, when the inevitable happens, that you've known will happen since you started the story, it's gutting. HOW DOES SHE DO IT? HOW?!
Ben Rowe
Mira Grant aka Seanan McGuire achieved the impressive feat of having more Hugo Nominations than perhaps anyone had managed previously with a nomination for best novel, a nomination for this novella, two novelette nominations as well as a fancast nomination. I had enjoyed reading one or two blog posts from her so I approached this book with a certain amount of optimism although many people had suggested this was the weakest novella in the novella category this year.

There are few books that I give
Ben Babcock
Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire has been nominated in the novel, novella, and novelette categories for the Hugo Awards this year (and twice in the novelette category). All the more power to her! I admit that I’m not a fan of the Newsflesh series. (I read the first two books when they were nominated for Hugo Awards.) So I’m surprised that San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats, a prequel (told through flashbacks) set in the same universe, managed to impress me.

Mahir, Shaun and Geor
So I've been on a mission to clear out the short fiction from my queue, as well as to not let any new short fiction become forgotten on my Kindle as I have in the past. So when Mira Grant's new Newsflesh novella arrived on my Kindle, I read it as soon as I finished reading Leviathan Wakes. It seemed appropriate, given that I've been on a Grant binge lately. This should be it for a while, so if you're tired of seeing Mira Grant reviews, this is the last. :)

And I have to say: I got a perverse bit
Aioki Reika
“Trapped and Doomed! It’s simple and thrilling!”

San Diego Comic Con 2014, all geeks’ most favorite part of the year! All I can say is that it’s simple and thrilling!

Picture this…you’re having fun at the San Diego Comic Con then there’s screaming outside then you’ve been locked-in inside. No way out and some people got bit and it starts spreading like hell. The only way of communicating from the outside is the Wi-Fi through status updates of the social media.

People around you become a zombie and
Why do you read a story when you already know how it ends? Because of the story telling. Heartbreaking and triumphant all at once.

I'll never walk into the vendors hall at a convention without a bit of a shiver ever again.
San Diego Comic Con 2014 - one of the largest localised outbreaks of the Rising. Framed by excerpts from an interview by Mahir with the last known survivor of the event, the overlapping stories of a number of people trapped in the convention center are told from the opening of the con until the bitter end. My inner geek loved the setting and all the little nods to fandom everywhere in the story, and Mira Grant's incomparable talent for imbueing characters we barely know with so much personality ...more
Jeremy Preacher
A poignant little story about the original Zombie uprising. As someone who has been to Comic-con, and who has a baffled but abiding respect for the California Browncoats, this was particularly effective. It works best as a dessert, rather than an appetizer, for the Newsflesh trilogy, but is probably worth reading either way.

It manages to bring me to tears every time. Everyone in the story is doomed - we know that almost from the beginning. And most of their deaths are ignominious at best. But th
This prequel to the Newsflesh trilogy is the ultimate celebration of fannish culture, a tale about geeks stranded in a zombie outbreak in the middle of the San Diego ComicCon. Unlike the earlier novella Countdown, this one has a self-contained plot that does not require any knowledge about the trilogy to be enjoyed, and, therefore, could probably serve as a good gateway to it, the means to gauge if you like Grant's style enough to commit to reading the whole trilogy.

It must be hard to elicit sym
Even though I knew what this story was going to be about and how it was likely to end (given that I've read all three books in the NEWSFLESH series and the previous novella that described the events of The Rising on a larger scale), it still surprised me in places and several times had me thinking "no, come on, let things work out..."

If you're familiar with the NEWSFLESH world built by Mira Grant in her books, you know that the events of the summer of 2014 don't end well for a large part of the
I've read this before but considering that it's now July 2014 and I'm headed to a Con... Why did I read this again?

Seriously, if you love Mira Grant/ Seanan McGuire you will love this. It's an origin story for her Newsflesh series. The story is both engaging and emotionally driven which makes reading this story so hard but worthwhile. What makes this extra fun is the fact that Mira wrote the characters based on actual people she's meet at Cons including the Browncoats.

This is not a happily ever
The Last Stand of the California Browncoats is a bit of a spoiler. We know from the beginning that no one is getting out alive. But, that's kind of the point I suppose.

This is an excellent story, about how a group of people react to the disaster they are facing, and the decisions they make. The story is more an intellectual "what if" than anything else, since if the reader is familiar with the Feed series, they already know that the zombie apocalypse happens, with or without the heroic efforts
I just finished reading this. There are tears running down my face. I don't do tears. I'm a Browncoat, and anyone else who is should definitely read this. Whether you like zombie fiction or not; if you do and you aren't a Browncoat, this is also a good story for you to pick up. It's not very long, but it is very powerful. Oh, and only available in ebook form so far.

Had trouble deciding whether to rate it 4 or 5, as while the scenes and characters combine to make an amazing piece I'm not absolute
I haven't read anything else by the author, so am probably missing references in here that would have made this a richer reading experience. That being said, for someone with no prior knowledge, this was a brilliant read.

My love of [i]Firefly[\i] knows no bounds, so I was prepared to be harsh on this...but it was really perfection. Touching, well-written, intelligent, and - surprising to me - tear-jerking. On a train. So I'm pretty sure my fellow travelers think I'm loony.

Nope. This is about c
Sep 06, 2012 Minh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
*Bawls* It was zombies and browncoats! There was no questioning that I was going to love this, the Whedon-love-fest just made it all the much better.

Chronicling the 2014 Comic Con outbreak, the Last Stand interweaves the stories of attendees who fought and died during the siege. It's harder to become attached to these characters knowing so little about them, but somehow Mira Grant manages to make us give a damn. It reminds me how much I love this world and makes me want to read the entire serie
Women Write About Comics
Or, at least, shocked and horrified.

That is, if you were a denizen of the Newsflesh-verse.

The series, launched in 2010 by Orbit Books, is written by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) and explores multiple aspects of the world during and after a global zombie outbreak. The main trilogy focuses on the Mason siblings, bloggers who are following a campaign tour twenty odd years after the initial Outbreak.

Cover: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats, Mira GrantThe SDCC specific story, The Last St

Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy isn't really about the zombie uprising. The zombies have already risen, they're a fact of life, and the books aren't so much about the zombies as they are about living life in a zombie-filled world. The books aren't a lot of running away from zombies, seeing your friends turned into zombies, and wondering why this all is happening. Sure, there are parts of the books about that, but that's not the main theme.

Those familiar with the Newsflesh trilogy will re
Mira Grant takes her Newsflesh zombies to a comic convention, San Diego's Comicon, the one place where it's okay to see zombies and no one blinks an eye and it would be a geek dream come true, usually. I really liked the Newsflesh series and have been catching up on the novellas, and I like how Grant explores different issues and stories from the trilogy. Here, Grant sets the story right at the beginning of the zombie outbreak when zombies were more rumors than a part of people's daily existence ...more
San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats is set in 2044 but is an interview with the only remaining survivor of the nation's final Comic-Con.

On July 23, 2014, in the midst of the Rising, the nation, and indeed the world, are about to find out what Kellis-Amberlee has in store. But for those preparing for the annual San Diego Comic-Con, a zombie apocalypse is still the furthest thing from their minds - at least in real-world terms.

In 2044, Mahir Gowda has arranged an intervie
Jul 17, 2012 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I wouldn't recommend reading this BEFORE the Newsflesh trilogy, not because of spoilers or anything but because it's just... better that way I think. It kind of hardcore panders to geeks and especially Firefly fans. Which I am one of so I'm fine with it. And I do mean kind of, I expected to be beaten over the head with the references and nods but it wasn't like that at all. I teared up a few times. I don't know why exactly I'm so addicted to the Newsflesh world.
Christina  Torretta
The Newsflesh trilogy is one of my favorite zombie reads. If you have yet to read Mira Grant you are really missing out on her fabulous writing and the expertise that she brings to the horror genre due to her knowledge of virology. She’s not only a brilliant writer but she really gets you into the heads of her characters. Making the zombpocalypse all the more horrifying.

In this one Mira Grant gives us the opportunity through interviews and some footage to see the way the apocalypse started in Sa
I almost never give a book one star and probably tend to overrate many. This story takes place at Comic Con in San Diego in 2014. I read it during Comic Con in San Diego in 2014 and was expecting a fun, entertaining weekend read based on the subject and all the rave reviews. What an abysmal let down. Fortunately, it was a relatively short novella or I wouldn't have bothered to finish it. As it was, I skimmed over pages of repetitive, lame dialogue that went nowhere, something else I almost never ...more
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • Fade to White
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • Glitter and Mayhem
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • The Living Dead 2 (The Living Dead, #2)
Born and raised in Northern California, Mira Grant has made a lifelong study of horror movies, horrible viruses, and the inevitable threat of the living dead. In college, she was voted Most Likely to Summon Something Horrible in the Cornfield, and was a founding member of the Horror Movie Sleep-Away Survival Camp, where her record for time survived in the Swamp Cannibals scenario remains unchallen ...more
More about Mira Grant...

Newsflesh (4 books)
  • Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1)
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Rewind (Newsflesh, #4)

“Indy Rivers got things done. Maybe she was a fictional character, but they were in a fictional place, in a fictional situation. There were worse things to be than fictional.” 2 likes
“Kelly Nakata didn’t know much about what was going on, but she knew that once a dog starts biting for no good reason, it doesn’t tend to stop.” 0 likes