Bad Blood (Double Dead, #1.5)

Bad Blood (Double Dead #1.5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  23 reviews
San Francisco after the zombie apocalypse. The vampire turned shepherd-with-a-shotgun Coburn is back and keen to settle some bad blood.

But just out in the Bay in the abandoned fortress prison of Alcatraz, a ketamine-snorting cult of New age weirdoes who eat the flesh of the zombie as some kind of grotesque communion bring a new threat to Coburn’s continuing existence – sup...more
Published May 7th 2012 by Rebellion Publishing Ltd (first published May 3rd 2012)

Nicki  Syler
Daniel Swensen
The second installment in the Double Dead series. I give it slightly higher marks than the first because Coburn develops as a character, and we see some fun forward progression on the overarching plot. A little easier on the inventive and prolonged profanity, which was a relief (I don't mind profanity, there was just such a volume of it in the previous book that I started getting a bit bored with it).

Also, considerably less dark than the first volume. There's a lot of gross blood & guts, bu...more
Kim
ONE AND A HALF STARS

Honestly, it's crap. The first book - awesome. Wonderful descriptions, vivid action sequences, a reasonable degree of unpredictably, and a storyline that naturally progresses as we see Coburn's strengths revealed (to the reader and, at times, to himself) and character grow. The followup novella - formulaic rubbish. Create absurd situation, write characters out of it. Over and over again. None of the absurdities work within the world. They just kept getting pulled out of the w...more
Dave Versace
Novella length sequel to Wendig's vampire-in-zombieland gonzo gorefest Double Dead. Bad Blood revisits Coburn, the badarsed vampire who has reluctantly and unwittingly reclaimed a small portion of his humanity during the zombie apocalypse. Coburn and his companions Gil (the father of a dead girl whose blood could be the key to saving human life) and Creampuff (a dog) are searching San Francisco for a biomedical facility that can help them engineer a cure to the zombie plague.

What they don't figu...more
James
This was an alright sequel novella to the first vampire book by chuck wendig. Didn't think the zompires in this series made much sense
Dan
Sep 24, 2012 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Hm. On the one hand, I like Chuck Wendig's novellas. Get in, action, get out, wham bam thank you ma'am.

On the other, I liked the meatier read of Double Dead. Bad Blood is a good part of a story, and that it's not longer shouldn't necessarily be held against it, but when I'm reading something I like I want a lot of it.

So, essentially, read Double Dead and then read this, because it's a good story.
Nicole
Jean Tatro
An excellent and brutal follow up to Double Dead. It's short, but it's fun and there's a fair amount of character and plot development packed in the pages. A must for anyone who liked Double Dead, unless you've got some weird thing about zombie children.
Carl Bussler
I was anxious to see where Coburn and Gil were headed. Bad Blood was fun book, but felt much shorter than the Double Dead. The ending was a bit too open-ended for me. There could easily be (and should be) a third story in the series.
Robert Williamson
Another great read. Chuck Wendig is a wonderfull writer.

Coburn is a hoot. The Zombie apocalypse has never been so full of excitement. Goes to show what a smart ass vampire can do for ya!
Andy Robson
Brilliant, a nice conclusion to Double Dead...but wait,it leaves you hanging again and wanting more. God, i hope there's more.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
More an FYI than a review - this is a short sequel to DOUBLE DEAD, not a standalone story. Do not read this before finishing the original.
Penny
Not as likable as the first book, Double Dead, but good enough that I will continue on with this series. 3 stars.
Chris Pederson
It was way too short... How could you NOT love a vampire that has to save humanity from a zombie apocalypse?
James Alexander
Very cool take on the zombie apocalypse and what it would mean for the vampire food supply.
Suzy (ereaderuser)
More Coburn! You can't beat that!

My only complaint would be the length.
Pete731
Dec 17, 2012 Pete731 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror/Zombie/Vampire fans
A very good follow up to the first novel. I just wish it was longer.
Cindy Veneris
Not as good as the first one but still entertaining.
Heather
Who doesn't like a grumpy, conflicted vampire?
Ryan
Great read! More Coburn please :)
Ellen
Do not read while eating.
Nikki
Sep 29, 2013 Nikki marked it as to-read
50% off Kobo
JeanK
JeanK marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Lauren Platts
Lauren Platts marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th...more
More about Chuck Wendig...
Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2) 250 Things You Should Know About Writing The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1) Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)