Start by marking “Bad Blood (Double Dead, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Bad Blood (Double Dead, #1.5)

Bad Blood (Double Dead #1.5)

San Francisco after the zombie apocalypse. The vampire turned shepherd-with-a-shotgun Coburn is back and keen to settle some bad blood.

But just out in the Bay in the abandoned fortress prison of Alcatraz, a ketamine-snorting cult of New age weirdoes who eat the flesh of the zombie as some kind of grotesque communion bring a new threat to Coburn’s continuing existence – sup
Published May 7th 2012 by Rebellion Publishing Ltd (first published May 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Blood

Gianfranco Mancini
Feb 27, 2017 Gianfranco Mancini rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of not sparkly vampires, splatter, gore and zombie apocalypses

JW Coburn, badass vampire in post-apocalyptic zombieland is back for good in this ultra-gory novella sequel of Chuck Wendig's Double Dead.
A nice sequel adding more vampires to the storyline and better fleshing/developing Coburn's character.
Sadly it was too short, the other characters just not as interesting as the main one and lacking a sequel you feel like the story ended without a real ending.
Beside that, a good brutal-funny-as-hell-action-packed story.
Highly recommended to all fans of not spa
Daniel Swensen
May 13, 2012 Daniel Swensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The second installment in the Double Dead series. I give it slightly higher marks than the first because Coburn develops as a character, and we see some fun forward progression on the overarching plot. A little easier on the inventive and prolonged profanity, which was a relief (I don't mind profanity, there was just such a volume of it in the previous book that I started getting a bit bored with it).

Also, considerably less dark than the first volume. There's a lot of gross blood & guts, bu
Dave Versace
Dec 05, 2012 Dave Versace rated it really liked it
Novella length sequel to Wendig's vampire-in-zombieland gonzo gorefest Double Dead. Bad Blood revisits Coburn, the badarsed vampire who has reluctantly and unwittingly reclaimed a small portion of his humanity during the zombie apocalypse. Coburn and his companions Gil (the father of a dead girl whose blood could be the key to saving human life) and Creampuff (a dog) are searching San Francisco for a biomedical facility that can help them engineer a cure to the zombie plague.

What they don't figu
Sara Marschand
Oct 17, 2014 Sara Marschand rated it it was amazing
I don't generally like Zombie anything. Or vampires. But I LOVED this book. You have to be accepting of crude language to read Chuck Wendig and I am a fan of some crudeness in books. I thought this story was brilliant and unique. I'd love to tell you how he brings his characters to life, but, well --they are dead. I probably enjoyed this text that extra star because I polished it off during October. It was a relief from the common Zombie/Vamp themes.
Dana Delamar
Mar 13, 2015 Dana Delamar rated it really liked it
Great continuation of Double Dead, though too short. I need more Coburn!
Colleen
Oct 25, 2016 Colleen rated it really liked it
I am looking forward to reading more by this author--a sequel I enjoyed as much as the first. (view spoiler) The same problem occurs here as in the first one--the mutations zombies undergo if they get their teeth into a vampire--except now ...more
Renée
Jan 13, 2017 Renée rated it really liked it
Too short but sweet nonetheless. Minus one star because every time I saw the cover I felt a burning desire to sing Taylor Swift songs. Otherwise quite a decent yarn... or the continuation of one... Now waiting on Double Dead #1.75 or #2.0... Bandaids don't fix bullet holes but Coburn might just for show; you live like that you live with ghosts...
John R. Dailey Jr.
THAT SMART ASS VAMPIRE IS AT IT AGAIN, HE IS.....

Hello, another great little story. I hope Mr. Wendig keeps it up. Very entertaining and enjoyable to read. The world needs more Vampire stories that are not girly and romantic. Thanks.
Kim
Jun 30, 2014 Kim rated it did not like it
ONE AND A HALF STARS

Honestly, it's crap. The first book - awesome. Wonderful descriptions, vivid action sequences, a reasonable degree of unpredictably, and a storyline that naturally progresses as we see Coburn's strengths revealed (to the reader and, at times, to himself) and character grow. The followup novella - formulaic rubbish. Create absurd situation, write characters out of it. Over and over again. None of the absurdities work within the world. They just kept getting pulled out of the w
Nicole Frail
May 22, 2013 Nicole Frail rated it really liked it
Dan
Jun 05, 2012 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Hm. On the one hand, I like Chuck Wendig's novellas. Get in, action, get out, wham bam thank you ma'am.

On the other, I liked the meatier read of Double Dead. Bad Blood is a good part of a story, and that it's not longer shouldn't necessarily be held against it, but when I'm reading something I like I want a lot of it.

So, essentially, read Double Dead and then read this, because it's a good story.
Toki
Sep 27, 2014 Toki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to hang out with this author.

I wrote him fan mail.

He probably thinks I'm stalker-y.

I am out of money or I'd buy all his books and just gorge myself in one sitting.

Instead, there's a good chance I may read his entire blog in one day.

I wonder how far back it goes...

Josie Boyce
Nov 22, 2015 Josie Boyce rated it really liked it
I thought the novel ended a bit abruptly, but in Bad Blood, Wendig finishes up the tale of Coburn the grouchy vampire, trying to be slightly less grouchy, despite the zombie apocalypse, and whatnot. I like the first book more, with this add on novella to tidy up the more natural ending and a less cheesy setup for future tales.
Carl Bussler
Feb 12, 2013 Carl Bussler rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense-horror
I was anxious to see where Coburn and Gil were headed. Bad Blood was fun book, but felt much shorter than the Double Dead. The ending was a bit too open-ended for me. There could easily be (and should be) a third story in the series.
Jean
Jul 13, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it
An excellent and brutal follow up to Double Dead. It's short, but it's fun and there's a fair amount of character and plot development packed in the pages. A must for anyone who liked Double Dead, unless you've got some weird thing about zombie children.
Robert Williamson
Feb 07, 2013 Robert Williamson rated it it was amazing
Another great read. Chuck Wendig is a wonderfull writer.

Coburn is a hoot. The Zombie apocalypse has never been so full of excitement. Goes to show what a smart ass vampire can do for ya!
Chris Pederson
Jun 10, 2013 Chris Pederson rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
It was way too short... How could you NOT love a vampire that has to save humanity from a zombie apocalypse?
Andy Robson
May 05, 2014 Andy Robson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-thriller
Brilliant, a nice conclusion to Double Dead...but wait,it leaves you hanging again and wanting more. God, i hope there's more.
James
Apr 15, 2014 James rated it liked it
This was an alright sequel novella to the first vampire book by chuck wendig. Didn't think the zompires in this series made much sense
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
May 14, 2012 Robert 'Rev. Bob' rated it really liked it
More an FYI than a review - this is a short sequel to DOUBLE DEAD, not a standalone story. Do not read this before finishing the original.
Penny
Not as likable as the first book, Double Dead, but good enough that I will continue on with this series. 3 stars.
Glenn
Glenn rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Steve Lemme
Steve Lemme rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2017
Dan Gleibitz
Dan Gleibitz rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Tracy Barnett
Tracy Barnett rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Raquel Rodriguez
Raquel Rodriguez rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Gavin O'Brien
Gavin O'Brien rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Chane Carstens
Jul 16, 2016 Chane Carstens rated it liked it
Loved it is and yet another cliffhanger gah!!!!! Can't wait to read double dead.
  • Kicking the Habit and Other Stories
  • Contagion: A Novel of the Living Dead
  • I Travel by Night
  • Season of the Dead
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • The Undead: The First Seven Days (The Undead #1-7 )
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • Burden Kansas
  • A Taste of You
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • City of the Lost
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • The Reawakening
  • Streets of Shadows
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • Cynik (Cesta krve, #2)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig...

Double Dead (1 books)
  • Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)