The Slayer

The Slayer (The Legend Chronicles #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Brothers Winchester, Remington, and Colt know the legends—they were trained from childhood to destroy demon predators, wielding the latest steam-powered gadgetry. It’s a devil of a job. But sometimes your fate chooses you…
Chasing Trouble

Published April 1st 2012 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about The Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slayer

Emily
I received this book through goodreads first-reads...

And I absolutely loved it. A big thanks to my girlfriend, Jillyn, who spotted it for me <3 I was captivated by the writing and the story, and I realize I was a fool for taking so long to finish it.

Despite not having the pleasure of reading the first book, I felt in no way lost to the continuing story, Theresa did a fantastic job of connecting the major plots in the first book to the second. The story is fantastic and has brought me to appr...more
Irena
The Slayer starts almost at the same time as The Hunter, right after Colt's visit asking Winn about one part of the Book of Legend and before he summoned Lilly.
Winchester Jackson, now a sheriff in Bodie was escorting a carriage not knowing it had a vampiress in it. There was a bandit attack and, of course, she killed every member of the gang except one. She revealed she came on a diplomatic mission with a goal to ask the oldest of the Chosen to help them retrieve the part of the Book of Legend...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
3.5 flames

Opening with a payroll coach robbery and ending with a demon getting his butt kicked, this novel has it all. The Slayer is book 2 in a Western Steampunk plus vampires, shifters, and demons series...got my attention, that’s for sure.

With the Jackson brothers, Remington, Colt and Winchester (I just LOVE the gun names for the brothers) each searching for a part of a book that had been separated into thirds, we enter into Winn’s book. The steamcoach...more
Alexia Chantel
Western romance combined with paranormal and steampunk. A lot to be thrown together but Meyers balances each genre well and still keeps the action moving.

Winn is everything old west, right down to his mustache that he twirls around his finger. For some reason Josh Holloway with a long mustache is the image that is conjured up for Winn. Maybe it is his looks, imagine him in cowboy gear, or the way Winn talks, think sexy drawl. Whatever the reason not a bad image to have for the hero.

Winn and hi...more
Kelsey
Winchester Jackson knows what supernatural beings to fight in the States, but now he is thrown into the unknown when His Vampiric Imperial Majesty sends his emissary, Lady Alexandra Porter (Alexa), to bring Winn back to Transylvania to find the next missing piece of the Book of Legend that Winn’s father hid. Although Winn has left the world of supernatural fighting he is reeled back in after finding out that they must find all the missing pieces of the book or all hell will break loose. In an un...more
Teri
Love Slays.

Theresa Meyers has created another fabulous chapter in The Legend Chronicles with The Slayer, and this time readers will follow the eldest Jackson brother Winchester Jackson in his quest to save the world.

Winn was ready to settle sown and put his Hunter status on the shelf and leave that life for good. Winn is an amazing character with his love and loyalty to his brother even after the hell he was raised in. Growing up in a family if Hunters can be a dangerous sometimes, but as Winn f...more
Juju221
I read the first book 'The Hunter' a few months ago after getting a copy when I was at AAD in Philadelphia last year. As I really enjoyed it when book 2 of the series came out I invested and bought myself a copy (kindle- gotta love it) did I like book 2? Yes, I did.

It had been a while since I read the first book and as there is some overlap I did have to think, what happened again, but it was nice to meet Colt and Lily again and I having to remember is not a bad thing, it exercises my Minxy mind...more
Beverly
My thoughts:
(The short, fast version) ~ Wonderful story! I couldn't put it down. The Legend Chronicles are a must read for fans of steampunk! The characters are fantastic, the plot is intriguing, the story itself is entertaining, it is paced perfectly and the ending leaves you screaming for more!

(The longer version) ~ I fell in love with this book from the start. I was intrigued by the characters right away. Theresa Meyers has created a wealth of fantastic characters in this series. She started...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Winchester Jackson is the oldest of three brothers who were trained by their father to be Hunters. They hunt the Darkin and keep humanity safe. Except, after a serious incident shakes Winn up he turns his back on Hunting and becomes the Sheriff of Bodie, California. Until the day Contessa Drossenburg, Alexandra Porter comes looking for him. She needs his help in locating a third of The Book of Legend and as one of The Chosen he can help her find it.

Winn and his brothers scoff at being The Chose...more
Nora-adrienne
The Slayer
By Theresa Meyers
Copyright April 2012
Publisher: Zebra (Paranormal Romance)

Chasing Trouble

Winn Jackson isn’t interested in hunting nightmares across the Wild West—even if it’s the family business. Unlike his rakehell brothers, Winn believes in rules. As sheriff of B...more
Toni
The Jackson brothers are on a mission. They may not believe the rumors that they are the prophesized Chosen, but they can’t let evil reign. They need to find the three sections of the Book of Legend. It will take recombining the Book to stop the archdemon lord, Rathe, from opening the Gates of Nyx, a portal between the human and Darkin realm.

Many years ago Winchester Jackson gave up hunting for the quiet life. He prefers being the sheriff for Bodie over hunting down Darkin, the supernatural chil...more
Sapphyria
Book Two in the Legend Chronicles series focuses mainly on Winchester Jackson and his part in the quest to retrieve sections of the Book of Legend.

Book Two actually overlaps certain sections of Book One. We see parts of Book One that were originally told from the points-of-view of both Colt and Lilly, rewritten in Book Two and told from the points-of-view of Winchester and his vampire companion Alexandra.

The story begins in the Wild West, outside of Bodie, CA sometime in the year 1883.

Winchester...more
2nd book in series is rock solid!

This is the story of the oldest Jackson brother, Winchester. Winn is the sheriff of Bodie, California. He hasn’t hunted in a while, he left that life behind. He admits he’s not up to speed but his instincts and training are intact. Winn was taught to use his mind to glamor victims and to block his mind from telepathy.

Alexa is a Transylvanian Countess charged with getting Winn to accompany her to her homeland and assist in retrieving the part of the Legend that t...more
Romancing the Book
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Jen
Review Copy Provided by ARC by Author

After having read and enjoyed my first foray into steampunk with the first book in this series, The Hunter, I had to get my hands on The Slayer when I heard it was up for review. And I wasn’t disappointed in this sophomore effort. Ms Meyers took on a thrill ride across the globe filled with paranormal encounters galore.

While this book is the second in a series, it can stand alone. However, it makes much more s...more
Nikki Brandyberry
After reading The Hunter I started this one right away not wanting to let the steampunky feel vanish from my memory. I knew right off the bat that this one wasn’t going to be anything like the last. First, I had issues with Winn. Completely not the fault of the author but I am not a mustache girl…at all. After seeing Winn on the cover and then reading about his fantastical stache that he twirls around his finger when he is anxious, I kept picturing Burt Reynolds. I am not a child of the 70′s and...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 3.5 stars: Liked it - recommend(B+)

You have to love a book that starts out in the middle of a stage coach robbery. Taunting and name calling leads to four guns cocked and aimed at our hero, Winchester Jackson. And then all hell breaks loose when the an enchanting contessa climbs off the coach and proceeds to slaughter the entire gang of outlaws. The Slayer starts off with a bang and rarely slows down.

The Slayer is the second book in the Legend Chronicles trilogy, overlapping in conte...more
I'm surprised I liked this book as much as I did, as Steampunk really doesn't have an allure for me. I never would have picked this up on my own, but I ended up enjoying it nonetheless. It is categorized as a Stemapunk Romance, but the romance aspect takes a backseat to the story and the unfolding adventures. I didn't even really buy into the attraction between the characters, so thank goodness that was only one part of the story.

The Slayer is Book 2 in a trilogy that focuses on 3 brothers in t...more
Marlene
Originally published at Reading Reality

This Slayer is not in high school, and there's no one named "Spike" involved.

Although strangely enough, there IS a Hellmouth, or near enough, and Winn Jackson needs to close it. He's also crazy enough to get himself involved with a vampire.

So there are a few coincidences.

But Winn's vampire is Countess Drossenburg. She's helping him find one-third of the Book of Legends. Not out of the goodness of her no-longer-beating heart.

But because if the Archdemon Rath...more
Kimberly
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First-reads

I enjoyed this book. The second book in the Legend Chronicles follows the travels of Winchester Jackson, oldest of the three Hunter brothers. Winn is drawn into taking a mission on behalf of the Imperial Vampire Court of Vladimir V. He agrees to travel to Europe in an airship full of vampires in order to help them recover their piece of the Book of Legend. The book has a good plot, and I enjoyed learning about Winn's background and wh...more
Neb
Nov 26, 2012 Neb rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance novel enthusiasts, college-age Steampunk readers
Recommended to Neb by: The author.
An adventurous romp that starts in Bodie, CA, crosses the continent, the Atlantic, and Europe. A reluctant "Slayer" of supernatural threats must team up with a beautiful member of Vampire nobility to deal with a threat to both humanity and Vampires alike.

I'm not a big romance novel fan, but this kept me engaged because I wanted to find out how they were going to solve a variety of problems. Lots of smouldering looks between the principals. Cool weapons and gadgets and vehicles. Some decent susp...more
Bethani
This is the second book in the The Legend Chronicle series and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first one. The thing I really like about this series, is that although there are multiple lead characters ( Winn, Remington and Colt Jackson) rather than dividing the book in sections devoted to each one,each brother is given their own book but each book seems to span roughly the same time period, so you can see various events from multiple perspectives. In fact from book 1 to book 2 at times certain...more
Deb
I enjoyed this book very much and will be buying the first in the series. Characters were strong (Loved the names of the brothers) Story was different, and kept my interest throughout. Made you want to read about other characters mentioned or that you met briefly. Well written, characters remained true to themselves even when their opinions or viewpoints changed. A good read :) and was a good read giveaway my second.
Samantha
For some reason this book wasn't as good as the first one. I do like Win and Tessas characters but I felt like I was missing something. I do not know what happened, was it the writing? The lack of steampunk puzzles the first one had? The story felt rushed and hard to read to me.

I did enjoy it, but I felt off when I finished it. I'm not so sure anymore if I want to read the third one.
Brennan
If you like the supernatural, romance, and a little steampunk then you'll love this book.

Winchester "Winn" Jackson is a Hunter of the the supernatural. He must team up with the vampire Countess Dressenburg to recover a pice of a book that will save the world from demons bent on destroying humankind (and the vampires' food source). If only he could trust her and she weren't so sexy.
Meagan
This is a fun, fast-paced, action-packed, jet-setting steampunk book. It's got romance, adventure, western, and sci-fi details, with even the tiniest bit of an Indiana Jones feel, and it's pretty darn fun to read. I think fans of Zoe Archer's Blades of the Rose series could enjoy this series as well, although Archer wins out. At least for me.
April
Very formulaic romance adventure about a Western sheriff who though he has renounced killing vampires, he still sees them as monsters. He must unite with the intriguing, sexy Countess Alexandra, a vampire, to save the world from an evil demon. It's got some steampunk elements to it, which were interesting, but it's pretty rote.
Sue
This story takes place essentially in parallel with the first book. The overall plot is very similar, just a different location and different types of supernaturals. Not a bad story, mostly predictable with a few twists. Waiting now for the third book so we can follow the third brother and hope for a potential plot resolution.
Heather Heal
This is a the first book in the series I've read. It can be read as stand alone, enjoyed it immemsely. Look forward to reading the other two books in the series soon. All 3 a going on my keeper shelve so bought them as e-books. Something I don't usually do because I trade most of my books after I read them.
Tina
It was hard to get into this book, billed as a steampunk Western, possibly because I'm not a fan of Westerns. Well, westerns in book form, that is, because I do love old John Wayne movies! I just didn't find much to like about any of the characters.
Lucy Dosch

The race to the Book of Legend heats up in this edition of the Legend Chronicles.

Be back with a review.

See more at EBookObsessed.com.
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Geared for Pleasure
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • The Moonstone and Miss Jones (Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • A Captain and a Corset (Steam Guardians, #2)
  • Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • The Executioner's Heart (Newbury and Hobbes, #4)
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
The progeny of a slightly mad NASA scientist and a tea-drinking bibliophile who turned the family dining room into a library, Theresa Meyers learned early the value of a questioning mind, books and a good china teapot. But it wasnt until third grade that Theresa overcame her dyslexia and learned to read, going on to make words her lifes work. With a degree in Mass Communications she became first a...more
More about Theresa Meyers...
The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1) The Switched Baby Scandal The Truth about Vampires (Sons of Midnight #1) The Half-Breed Vampire (Sons of Midnight #3) The Vampire Who Loved Me (Sons of Midnight #2)