Start by marking “Into Deep Waters” as Want to Read:
Into Deep Waters

Into Deep Waters (Deep Waters #1)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,516 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
Dear Author,
Published May 8th 2012 by M/M Romance Group

To ask other readers questions about Into Deep Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into Deep Waters

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Oh my, what a beautiful story. Baba is bawling her eyes out right now. Into Deep Waters is such an emotionally-charged story that will leave you smiling and crying all at the same time. It's one of the best freebies that I've ever read.

Photobucket

5 very emotional stars!

Daniel Acardi, Seaman Second Class, met Jacob Segal, pharmacist's mate, onboard in April 1942. It's the beginning of a deep, inspiring and beautiful love story.

STORY LETTER

Dear Author,

We met onboard, both of us so very young - still in our
Arianna
Jan 20, 2015 Arianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 STARS

Oh my gawd! What a beautiful, heartwarming, emotional story. This was my first book by Kaje Harper and most definitely won’t be my last. Very well written, “Into Deep Waters” is a wonderful story about life, true love and so much more. It’s a story about two men who start a relationship in a time of war, in a time when being gay was practically forbidden. Despite many obstacles and everything life throw at them, they are still together, loving each other after 69 years.

description

“You're better
Lena♥Ribka
Sep 23, 2014 Lena♥Ribka rated it it was amazing

AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, INTENSE AND EMOTIONAL!

I know now WHY I was waiting too long with reading this book.

I name you just some reasons:
- I'm not a big fan of a mainstream mm-romance.
- I'm not a big fan of an instalove story.
- I'm not a big fan of an epic love book.
- I like Kaje Harper.

Please, if you have not read it yet BECAUSE you have the same doubts I listed above, just do it.

Jacob and Daniel.

When they met. 1941.

And when they got married. 2011.

I have no idea if I can classify it as a mains
Michelle
5+++ You Are My Home Stars!
WOW! Who knew a not so sexy cover would end up being such a great book that will stick with me for a long time. Of course I buddy read this with Kirsten. We kept saying...ok let's read the old man book next. Roflmao! Defiantly don't judge a book by its cover. lol There are no words to describe how much I loved this book. It gave me all the feels. Soooo many feels!!

After the attack on Pearl Harbor Daniel 19 yrs old and Jacob 18 yrs old meet on the Navy ship Gageway in 1
Joann
Into Deep Waters is incredibly intense, breathtaking and heartwarming.

It's an epic love story and it will show you what unconditional love really means.

I won't write a long review for this one! Into Deep Waters left me speechless with its powerful emotions and I can truely recommend it to everyone out there interested in reading about strong and passionate couples.

Kirsten
Jul 16, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kirsten by: Arianna
4+ stars!

photo image.jpg1_zpsyyc4pt7y.jpg
"Where you are is home."

Into Deep Waters was a beautiful tale about two men finding one another during awful times. The two struggle to not only to survive the war, but their feelings for one another in a time when being gay is not accepted.

During WW II, on the ship the Gageway, Daniel and Jacob meet. They become friends, and soon the underlying passion that they have for one another surfaces. They must keep everything hidden, as the repercussions of their feelings and acts could
MaDoReader
Mar 21, 2016 MaDoReader rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3,5 refrescante cambio de aires.
No me convence en exceso el planteamiento inicial, pero me ha gustado ver desarrollarse esta relación durante tantos años.
Jerry
MishyJo
Best book I've read in a damn long time. 5 full stars. Review soon.
Ami
May 09, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing
Daniel Arcadi and Jacob Segal first met on their late teens, back in 1942, when both were part of the crews of USSGageway, during World War 2. Daniel was Second Seaman and Jacob was pharmacist's mate. The two souls stroke a chord of friendship that soon turned into deeper relationship, when both men realized they had feeling for each other. A feeling that is so strong, that spans more than six decades ...

Oh, wow, Kaje Harper, you've DONE it again. This is what EPIC love story should be done.

Abou
Mark
What a little gem of a story.

Spanning over some 70 years, this book is all about love that endures. A fight for respect and recogniton of a relationship that at the beginning would never be accepted until the teary HEA end where Daniel and Jacob come full circle and can marry under today's laws. I liked the fact that Stonewall was mentioned and the controversey it caused even among the gay community, but it was also an historical turning point. Due to gay men and women like this we can now enjo
Vivian
Jan 25, 2014 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-hist
Wow. Simply gorgeous love story.

Some things are just meant to be, and Daniel and Jacob's love is one of them. Flickering into being during dark times, they do what they can to see each other through the Pacific Theater during World War II. More than illicit, they dodge suspicion to be together. More intriguing is how they succeed after the war and return to "normal" civilian life.

Harper does a great job weaving a story, setting a realistic scene without being macabre and allows the characters t
Lenore
This is a fairytale in black and white. It reminded me of those old '40s movies, where a single kiss meant everything, where what mattered most were the emotions and the commitment to one another.

The book is not without flaw. But it's so beautiful and touching and well-delivered, it was easy for me to leave its weaker aspects (especially in the second half) behind as minor bumps in the road to a great story.
Tully Vincent
Nov 04, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tully by: Roger - president of NBR United - Grace
Shelves: audiobooks
This story blew me away. It’s an touchingly beautiful story of an enduring love that spans over a period of sixty years. While it begins and largely takes place during WWII, the last third of the book carries us through the rest of out heroes lives, touching briefly on important events like Stonewall, but mostly letting us watch as these men deal with things like post-war trauma, family acceptance, workplace concerns, coming out, births, adopting a cat, and all the small and large changes that p ...more
Sofia
Aug 14, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it

Celebration of US, LIFE, and LOVE

Loved their story with an emphasis onTHEIR. It is heartwarming to read in these days of ME. The daily together is as tough as the big events in our lives and if not taken care of can easily steal away precious treasures. Treasures which we envy in others and read about in our beloved books but which we can blindly discard in moments of doubts.

Their creating and living a life together, in spite of all the challenges big and small, gives me hope that yes it can b
Anke
May 10, 2012 Anke rated it it was amazing
4.5*
Have your Kleenex ready:) Although I don't like reading historicals, Kaje Harper is rapidly moving to the author to buy regardless the topic of her writing. This is another example of her wonderful way of telling a story. It remembered a little bit of Lynne's Seasons series, as it deals with the relationship over a long period of time and how it changes along the years. Why not 5*? Well, I would have loved to read more about their life and not only a few highlights and compared to the span o
Simon
Jul 01, 2013 Simon rated it it was amazing
If I could give this freebie download 10 stars I would. This is a gay man's novel. A relationship that spans nearly 70 years from the furtive fumblings of youth, to the angst of sexual intercourse between two men, to the relationship and eventually to the surprise.
I wept, I admit I wept all the way through this novel but though happiness and recognition. The two main characters are so very well portrayed, the story, from WWII to 2011....so well written.
I'm tearing up just remembering.
Kaje....You
Eva

Beautiful epic love story.

“Slowly the ring of their entwined hair slipped below the surface. Another moment and it was gone from sight, heading downwards, carrying his love and Jacob's down safely this time, into deep waters.”

Kat is a Glitter Pirate ☠
"Dear Author,

We met onboard, both of us so very young - still in our teens - but we were old enough to serve our country. And against all odds, and the many risks involved, we fell in love and have managed to stay together for the last 60 years. Now, as our time together inevitably gets shorter and shorter, I can’t wait any longer for the right to finally marry the man I’ve loved all these years.

Sincerely,

Bookbee"

Captivating, tear jerking, heart warming and at times a little heart breaking.

B
Gina
May 03, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m

This was an amazing heartwarming story about a love that spanned a lifetime and absolutely stole my heart. The two MC’s Jacob and Daniel met while in the Navy right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. You witness their experiences during that time, the hardships, the heartbreaks and the secrecy they must endure. This wonderful short story takes you through 70 years their lives, culminating in their legal right to marry in NY.

I cannot express enough how much i loved this little story and how much
Debra
Mar 07, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Debra by: M/M Romance BOM
What a beautiful story. Couldn't see through the tears for the last part of the book. Kaje Harper did a great job telling the story of Jacob and Daniel from the day they met in 1942 on a Navy Ship and following them through the next 70 years. The majority of the story covers their wartime romance, while the rest plays out in snippets of their lives throughout the years. A great book and I can't believe it is free! Loved it.
Bev
 photo reviewing_audiobooks_icon_zpsfdtqfy0w.jpg

photo rainbowlovedogtags_zpsa7ab0876.jpg

Millions of truly outstanding stars. The story was brilliant (and still free), the characters, the pacing, the LOVE....just EVERYTHING was amazing, and at one point I had tears rolling down my face AND was chuckling at the same time [get towards the end of the story, you'll know which part I mean]. I know I would've have been thrilled to bits with this story if I was a gay guy...Kaje absolutely wrote it from the heart. How CAN it be right that a couple can be in a relationship for 26 years (a
SueC
May 18, 2014 SueC rated it really liked it
Shelves: boib-read
Why did I wait so long to read this?

My damn heart is in all it’s warm and fuzzy glory now. I’m just blissed out and thankful.

Into Deep Waters is an EPIC love story. Grand in it’s courage, endurance and devotion, it’s a real diamond in the rough.

If anyone has ever paid attention to my endless waffling about my all time favourite story and couple, they would know that Special Forces: Soldiers is the epitome/definition of perfection for me. Needless to say, I’ve been chasing that high ever since. E
Fangtasia
May 14, 2012 Fangtasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
We don't always recognize life-changing moments when they happen, those seismic shifts in the plates of our world that determine what path our life will take. That's what happened to Jacob and Daniel, the first time they saw each other aboard the Navy ship where they both served during WWII.

Yet the author's talent managed to let the reader know exactly how important each interaction between these men was. How each first between them was an echo of all the firsts they would share between themsel
Lauraadriana
May 15, 2012 Lauraadriana rated it really liked it
This is a forever story...Two young men meet in a ship in the Pacific Ocean during WWII and 69 years later they are still each other's one and only.

Jacob and Daniel's love story felt and ageless and right. It was so well done. These two mean lived their lives together, survived so many trials, lived so many things as a couple until in their old age they got to officially become what they had been to each other for almost seven decades.

I really enjoyed this story and it certainly fits the theme o
Dreamer
"Well welcome to the zoo. I'm Daniel Acardi, Seaman Second Class, thank you very much."
"Jacob. Segal. Pharmacist's mate."

I was a snivelling mess by the end of this beautifully written book. The story charts the relationship between Daniel and Jacob from their meeting on board ship following the fall of Pearl Harbour eventually through to their old age. The story begins in early 1942 when Daniel is 19 and Jacob (Trip) is just 18, concentrating on the war years and following the boys through to 20
ttg
Sep 25, 2013 ttg rated it really liked it
A very good free historical novel about two U.S. Navy sailors who meet and fall in love during WWII and their dedication to each other in the decades after.

I always find Harper’s writing very readable, and the same goes for this story. Probably my favorite parts were those set during the war--Jacob and Daniel meeting, their eventual coming together, their clandestine trysts, and some nail-biting events as they try to survive the war together.

The post-war years section was also good, but a littl
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Jan 31, 2014 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
OMG I turned into a blubbering mess!

I had to build myself up to start this one. Even tho it's tagged historical it wasn't your historical historicals. lol If that makes any sense.

This was truly a beautiful love story. We meet these men the same time they are meeting each other. Kaje paints us such a vivid picture of these men, the gageway, the sea and all the chaos that's going on around them, while also showing the different emotions of what these two men are finding out & feeling. After w
Brandilyn
Jan 11, 2016 Brandilyn rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brandilyn by: Shannon
Such a powerful story. I have been putting this one off for.ev.er. I downloaded it shortly after it was first released and I just kept moving it to the back burner. I think it was the "historical" tag that kept putting me off. SUCH A STUPID DECISION! This is one of the most powerful stories I have read in a long time. It covers a 69 year love affair that starts in the midst of WWII on a Navy ship. They have so much to overcome to be together. Their relationship isn't perfect, but they know their ...more
Natalie
A beautiful, interesting story. I think this is the best thing Kaje has written, and that's saying a lot! This book was completely absorbing. It's epic in a this-is-how-real-relationships-are sort of way. Despite the extraordinary events of the first part of the book, we get to see what happens after the happily ever after, and it's incredibly moving. Highly recommended.

(Oh, and be sure to click on the "download ebook" link to get this. It was such a treat to be able to read this on my ereader i
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Lead Us Not
  • West, Haven
  • Skybound
  • Heartstrings
  • Just Be
I live in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, the mosquito is the state bird, and where sometimes in winter it can be breathtakingly beautiful. Of course, the deepfreeze chill contributes to the breath-taking, but Minnesota's a kindly, quiet place and it's home to me now. I've been writing for far longer than I care to admit (*whispers - forty years*), mostly for my ...more
More about Kaje Harper...

Deep Waters (2 books)
  • Can’t Hurt to Believe (Deep Waters, #1.005)

“Daniel snorted. "You are such a cynic."
"You're such a romantic."
"Yeah. Isn't diversity grand?”
2 likes