Start by marking “Into Deep Waters (Love is Always Write)” as Want to Read:
Into Deep Waters (Love is Always Write)

Into Deep Waters (Love is Always Write)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,159 ratings  ·  250 reviews
The story you are about to read celebrates love, sex and romance between men. It is a product of the Love Is Always Write Event sponsored by the Goodreads M/M Romance group and is published as a free gift to you.

What Is Love Is Always Write?

The Goodreads M/M Romance group invited members to choose a photo and pen a letter asking for a short M/M romance story inspired by th...more
Published May 8th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Into Deep Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into Deep Waters

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Oh my, what a beautiful story. Baba is bawling her eyes out right now. Into Deep Waters is such an emotionally-charged story that will leave you smiling and crying all at the same time. It's one of the best freebies that I've ever read.

Photobucket

5 very emotional stars!

Daniel Acardi, Seaman Second Class, met Jacob Segal, pharmacist's mate, onboard in April 1942. It's the beginning of a deep, inspiring and beautiful love story.

STORY LETTER

Dear Author,

We met onboard, both of us so very young - still in our
Lena♥Ribka

AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, INTENSE AND EMOTIONAL!

I know now WHY I was waiting too long with reading this book.

I name you just some reasons:
- I'm not a big fan of a mainstream mm-romance.
- I'm not a big fan of an instalove story.
- I'm not a big fan of an epic love book.
- I like Kaje Harper.

Please, if you have not read it yet BECAUSE you have the same doubts I listed above, just do it.

Jacob and Daniel.

When they met. 1941.

And when they got married. 2011.

I have no idea if I can classify it as a mains...more
Jerry
Ami
Daniel Arcadi and Jacob Segal first met on their late teens, back in 1942, when both were part of the crews of USSGageway, during World War 2. Daniel was Second Seaman and Jacob was pharmacist's mate. The two souls stroke a chord of friendship that soon turned into deeper relationship, when both men realized they had feeling for each other. A feeling that is so strong, that spans more than six decades ...

Oh, wow, Kaje Harper, you've DONE it again. This is what EPIC love story should be done.

Abou...more
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
What a little gem of a story.

Spanning over some 70 years, this book is all about love that endures. A fight for respect and recogniton of a relationship that at the beginning would never be accepted until the teary HEA end where Daniel and Jacob come full circle and can marry under today's laws. I liked the fact that Stonewall was mentioned and the controversey it caused even among the gay community, but it was also an historical turning point. Due to gay men and women like this we can now enjo...more
Vivian Archer
Wow. Simply gorgeous love story.

Some things are just meant to be, and Daniel and Jacob's love is one of them. Flickering into being during dark times, they do what they can to see each other through the Pacific Theater during World War II. More than illicit, they dodge suspicion to be together. More intriguing is how they succeed after the war and return to "normal" civilian life.

Harper does a great job weaving a story, setting a realistic scene without being macabre and allows the characters t...more
Lenore
This is a fairytale in black and white. It reminded me of those old '40s movies, where a single kiss meant everything, where what mattered most were the emotions and the commitment to one another.

The book is not without flaw. But it's so beautiful and touching and well-delivered, it was easy for me to leave its weaker aspects (especially in the second half) behind as minor bumps in the road to a great story.
Anke
4.5*
Have your Kleenex ready:) Although I don't like reading historicals, Kaje Harper is rapidly moving to the author to buy regardless the topic of her writing. This is another example of her wonderful way of telling a story. It remembered a little bit of Lynne's Seasons series, as it deals with the relationship over a long period of time and how it changes along the years. Why not 5*? Well, I would have loved to read more about their life and not only a few highlights and compared to the span o...more
Sofia

Celebration of US, LIFE, and LOVE

Loved their story with an emphasis onTHEIR. It is heartwarming to read in these days of ME. The daily together is as tough as the big events in our lives and if not taken care of can easily steal away precious treasures. Treasures which we envy in others and read about in our beloved books but which we can blindly discard in moments of doubts.

Their creating and living a life together, in spite of all the challenges big and small, gives me hope that yes it can be...more
Simon
If I could give this freebie download 10 stars I would. This is a gay man's novel. A relationship that spans nearly 70 years from the furtive fumblings of youth, to the angst of sexual intercourse between two men, to the relationship and eventually to the surprise.
I wept, I admit I wept all the way through this novel but though happiness and recognition. The two main characters are so very well portrayed, the story, from WWII to 2011....so well written.
I'm tearing up just remembering.
Kaje....You...more
Kat is a Glitter Pirate ☠
"Dear Author,

We met onboard, both of us so very young - still in our teens - but we were old enough to serve our country. And against all odds, and the many risks involved, we fell in love and have managed to stay together for the last 60 years. Now, as our time together inevitably gets shorter and shorter, I can’t wait any longer for the right to finally marry the man I’ve loved all these years.

Sincerely,

Bookbee"

Captivating, tear jerking, heart warming and at times a little heart breaking.

Bu...more
Gina
May 03, 2013 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m

This was an amazing heartwarming story about a love that spanned a lifetime and absolutely stole my heart. The two MC’s Jacob and Daniel met while in the Navy right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. You witness their experiences during that time, the hardships, the heartbreaks and the secrecy they must endure. This wonderful short story takes you through 70 years their lives, culminating in their legal right to marry in NY.

I cannot express enough how much i loved this little story and how much...more
Debra
Jul 23, 2014 Debra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Debra by: M/M Romance BOM
What a beautiful story. Couldn't see through the tears for the last part of the book. Kaje Harper did a great job telling the story of Jacob and Daniel from the day they met in 1942 on a Navy Ship and following them through the next 70 years. The majority of the story covers their wartime romance, while the rest plays out in snippets of their lives throughout the years. A great book and I can't believe it is free! Loved it.
Fangtasia
We don't always recognize life-changing moments when they happen, those seismic shifts in the plates of our world that determine what path our life will take. That's what happened to Jacob and Daniel, the first time they saw each other aboard the Navy ship where they both served during WWII.

Yet the author's talent managed to let the reader know exactly how important each interaction between these men was. How each first between them was an echo of all the firsts they would share between themsel...more
Lauraadriana
This is a forever story...Two young men meet in a ship in the Pacific Ocean during WWII and 69 years later they are still each other's one and only.

Jacob and Daniel's love story felt and ageless and right. It was so well done. These two mean lived their lives together, survived so many trials, lived so many things as a couple until in their old age they got to officially become what they had been to each other for almost seven decades.

I really enjoyed this story and it certainly fits the theme o...more
Dreamer
"Well welcome to the zoo. I'm Daniel Acardi, Seaman Second Class, thank you very much."
"Jacob. Segal. Pharmacist's mate."

I was a snivelling mess by the end of this beautifully written book. The story charts the relationship between Daniel and Jacob from their meeting on board ship following the fall of Pearl Harbour eventually through to their old age. The story begins in early 1942 when Daniel is 19 and Jacob (Trip) is just 18, concentrating on the war years and following the boys through to 20...more
ttg
A very good free historical novel about two U.S. Navy sailors who meet and fall in love during WWII and their dedication to each other in the decades after.

I always find Harper’s writing very readable, and the same goes for this story. Probably my favorite parts were those set during the war--Jacob and Daniel meeting, their eventual coming together, their clandestine trysts, and some nail-biting events as they try to survive the war together.

The post-war years section was also good, but a littl...more
Edina Rose
I love war romances and this one was emotionally fulfilling.

The plot: Two young soldiers meet during WW2 in 1941. They fall in love while fighting, and after the war, they get together and build a life. The war was soul-eating, and life after is tough on many levels. They struggle, they have highs and lows, but their love is strong.

The characters: The two men are quite different. Daniel He comes from a family of farmers. He is the tall, strong, gorgeous jock. He is also a carefree, artistic, op...more
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
OMG I turned into a blubbering mess!

I had to build myself up to start this one. Even tho it's tagged historical it wasn't your historical historicals. lol If that makes any sense.

This was truly a beautiful love story. We meet these men the same time they are meeting each other. Kaje paints us such a vivid picture of these men, the gageway, the sea and all the chaos that's going on around them, while also showing the different emotions of what these two men are finding out & feeling. After w...more
Brandilyn
Aug 05, 2014 Brandilyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brandilyn by: Shannon
Shelves: free, mm
Such a powerful story. I have been putting this one off for.ev.er. I downloaded it shortly after it was first released and I just kept moving it to the back burner. I think it was the "historical" tag that kept putting me off. SUCH A STUPID DECISION! This is one of the most powerful stories I have read in a long time. It covers a 69 year love affair that starts in the midst of WWII on a Navy ship. They have so much to overcome to be together. Their relationship isn't perfect, but they know their...more
Natalie
A beautiful, interesting story. I think this is the best thing Kaje has written, and that's saying a lot! This book was completely absorbing. It's epic in a this-is-how-real-relationships-are sort of way. Despite the extraordinary events of the first part of the book, we get to see what happens after the happily ever after, and it's incredibly moving. Highly recommended.

(Oh, and be sure to click on the "download ebook" link to get this. It was such a treat to be able to read this on my ereader i...more
SueC
Why did I wait so long to read this?

My damn heart is in all it’s warm and fuzzy glory now. I’m just blissed out and thankful.

Into Deep Waters is an EPIC love story. Grand in it’s courage, endurance and devotion, it’s a real diamond in the rough.

If anyone has ever paid attention to my endless waffling about my all time favourite story and couple, they would know that Special Forces: Soldiers is the epitome/definition of perfection for me. Needless to say, I’ve been chasing that high ever since. E...more
Kelly_Instalove
This is going to contain a lot of quote and excerpts, because I highlighted half the damn book with notes like “lovely” and “*sigh*” and “brilliant” and “now THAT’S romantic.”

I’m a big fan of Harper’s – her Life Lessons and Breaking Cover are both on my DIK list, and Like the Taste of Summer should be required reading for all short story writers – so my expectations were pretty high. I wasn’t disappointed. I was wowed. Again.

The plot....

Two young sailors – one a working-class artist from Califor...more
C.J. Anthony
I am in awe of Kaje Harper and what a wonderful job she did with this prompt. Not only for all the amazing research and detail she put into this but also for the beautiful relationship she built between these two men. Their relationship starts in 1942 on a Navy ship in the middle of a war–the era and the place not exactly safe to be a gay man. So the tender, careful way she portrays the beginnings of their relationship is just perfect.

I loved that they were separated during the war (one MC, Jac...more
Tiya Rosa
This was a consistent 3.5/4 star-read from pretty much the beginning and then BAM! - 92% and I was suddenly curled up in bed clutching my Kindle to my chest and sobbing like a little girl. I'm telling you, prepare to bawl your eyes out with this one.

description

And it's for free. I was given to savor a heart wrenching and believable love story about two men who met during the Second World War, came together, fell in love, stayed together through thick and thin and it was the first ten fucking minutes of Up...more
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
A wonderfully romantic story of love in a very difficult period of history. Daniel and Jacob meet on board the USS Gageway shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbour. Hesitant to acknowledge their attraction to one another at first the two soon fall in love. They struggle to find private moments together aboard ship and while on leave. When their ship is sunk they are separated by injuries which send one of them state side while the other continues through the horrors of the Pacific theatre in WW...more
Bookbee
I cannot tell you how much I love this story! Kaje Haper has taken a grainy photograph and the few, spare words of a "Love is Always Write" prompt and created real, living, breathing characters.

The story spans 69 years - from Daniel and Jacob's first meeting, their first fumbling forays into a sexual relationship, the horrors of WW II, the difficulties integrating back into civilian life, leading a hidden life, Stonewall, adopting a cat, through to the tribulations of old age - and does it all...more
Shanna
Amazing! Kaje hit all the right notes, first blush of love, the growing pains of building a relationship and the wonderful comfort found in being together for 60 plus years. I loved that these guys were real, had real problems and doubts but stuck it out together. I also loved how the story ended on a high note. This story in less adept hands would've been a muddled mess, Kaje manages to make a decades long romance blossom and enrapture the reader. Very well done.
Irina
“You're better than family, Daniel. You know that. You're the other half of me.”

What a wonderful life story!

Two innocent young men finding each other in the unlikeliest place at the hardest time and despite everything life throws at them, they not only survive, but stay true to each other and carry their love for the rest of their lives.

Fast-paced and very well-written, it is an emotional and thought-provoking journey. Even without too much angst and drama, it tugged at my heartstrings at ever...more
Steelwhisper
I liked it quite a bit, but I really would have preferred the story to end with Daniel arriving at Jacob's doorstep and the marriage possible the framing vignette of the whole thing.

All which came after the rejoining of them sort of didn't carry with me, the steam out of the whole tale. Had it been a frame story, with only the WWII period the centrepiece, I'd have given the full five.
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells (Love is Always Write)
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Lead Us Not (Love is Always Write)
  • Beyond Duty (Short story)
  • A Competitive Edge
  • Whistle Blowing
  • Of Honor and Love (Love is Always Write)
  • In Over His Head
  • Heartstrings
  • Heatstroke
  • In Dreams (Love is Always Write)
  • Life in Chaos (Love is Always Write)
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • Skybound
  • Lazy Sundays
  • With This Ring (Love is Always Write)
  • A Hard Dazed Knight (Love is Always Write)
  • Take a Breath (Love is Always Write)
I live in Minnesota (where the two seasons are snow removal and road-repair, and the mosquito is the state bird, and where sometimes in winter it is so beautiful you can't breathe for gazing at it). I have been writing for longer than I care to admit, and currently am focused on writing m/m romance. I have an interview from Sept 2012 on Reviews by Jessewave for those who are interested.

My first p...more
More about Kaje Harper...
Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1) The Rebuilding Year Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2) Home Work (Life Lessons, #3) Nor Iron Bars a Cage

“Daniel snorted. "You are such a cynic."
"You're such a romantic."
"Yeah. Isn't diversity grand?”
2 likes