Beauty (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #20.5)

Beauty (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #20.5)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  3,236 ratings  ·  226 reviews
The steamy outtake that takes readers even further into Laurell K. Hamilton's bestselling novel, "Kiss the Dead."
"You'd think I'd get used to seeing such a beautiful man and knowing he was mine, but it never grew old, as if his beauty and the fact that he was mine, and I was his, would forever surprise me."
With a vampire like Jean Claude around, it's far too easy for Ani...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Penguin Group (USA)

Paula
May 13, 2012 Paula rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Yes, this is long. My issues with Beauty run deep and wide. Yes, I could just stop reading LKH's books if they bother me so much. I keep hearing that this book and that book are a "return to form" and I keep hoping against hope that this will one day be true. I love the pre-NiC books, I really do. And I would love to see that Anita, and those characters come back again. So I'll probably continue reading, no matter how bad things get. Because that's how I roll.

I love reading outtakes, especially...more
Dianne
I am very much like the other dissatisfied customers. I cannot believe that I have paid 2.99 for 15 minutes of reading-something any other author would have had on their web-site for free.

If you want to read a menage scene with many of the BDSM elements and you are afraid of going to a new author, then this will be right up your alley.

SPOILER------>SPOILERS------------>THE STORY ITSELF IN A NUTSHELL.

At first when we start with this nitty-gritty sex scene (and that is all it is), Jean-Claud...more
John
To be fair, we were all told that this would be an outtake from Kiss the Dead- a steamy outtake, to be precise. Something so inconsequential and irrelevant that it got cut from the novel... yet is still being put up for sale anyway. Gotta admit, that takes some balls.

And as the saying goes, it's not like you didn't know what to expect- nothing! An extended scene of nothing to do with nothing- which is why it got dropped. More whining from Anita about tall/blonde/skinny women-I'm not pretty enoug...more
A
Absolutely pointless.

I like this series, but this did nothing to advance the plot and was sooo short I can't believe I paid for it!
LMM
1st off, DON'T PAY FOR THIS.

Technically, it's 2 stars. It was OK, not a complete - 'didn't like' - but it gets one star b'c this should be free, end of.

LKH should be ashamed of trying to milk her loyal fans out of $2.99 for 20 or so pages of what this is & that is...a sex scene which made the cutting room floor. What? Her editor finally grew a set & decided to do her job & then b'c LKH hates anybody knowing better then her, decided to charge her fans for this redundant sex scene wh...more
Suz
It's a single hot-tub scene with Jean-Claude, Anita, and Asher doing the sex we've all seen before and enjoy seeing again. It's got all the heat we'd expect from our favorites. There is not really any new ground covered here except to say that it's nice to see Anita no longer torn over her sexuality. That was becoming extremely onerous and tiresome and it's refreshing to see her just enjoy that part of herself now without needing to grieve herself and everyone else over it.

There is also a scene...more
Teresa
I agree with the other readers. Very disappointed. I love Anita and crew but Laurell's books now just bank on smut (and I'm not averse to smut) but there is no story. This outtake epitomizes the fall of the Anitaverse. I am about done with Laurell and, especially for the prices, can find better reads elsewhere.
Buqet
Asher / Jean Claude ve Anita'yı seviyorum. Bullet'ta tam anlamıyla çift olan üçlünün nasıl mutlu olduklarına dair yazılmış kısacık bir sahneydi.
Anita'nın da dediği gibi '' İt is a pleasure to read ''
Stephanie

Penguin
May 8, 2012
173 KB 33 pages
$2.99

You’d think I’d get used to seeing such a beautiful man and knowing he was mine, but it never grew old, as if his beauty and the fact that he was mine, and I was his, would forever surprise me.

With a vampire like Jean Claude around, it’s far too easy for Anita Blake to doubt her own appearance—and the hold it has on those who love her. But one
Kim (Sliced Open Reviews)
May 20, 2012 Kim (Sliced Open Reviews) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Laurell K. Hamilton Fans
Sigh…16 days until Kiss the Dead is released, so I finally decided I could crack open Beauty to get my fill until then.

As this was a short read, I wanted to keep my review short, but after I went to post my review I had to make some revisions:

1. I loved reading this; simply for the fact that I don’t think there are a better 33 pages of an Anita novel that depicts her growth in her sexuality, it keeps me excited! While I honestly fell in love with Anita prior to her venture into the “erotic” rea...more
Mara
May 08, 2012 Mara added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only extreme hardocore fans :)
I really can't rate this "e-special". It's a deleted sex scene from an Anita Blake novel (the next I think). For how much I like the Anitaverse I find absurd that Ms Hamilton's editor convinced her to sell this few deleted pages as a short.

Writing is not commerce, but you can't really live in a bubble either. Most writers offer deleted scenes on their website, a few even offers free entire novellas or short stories. I don't expect the latter, but I do expect that if I pay for content, that's wh...more
Tori
Not again! Honestly, I keep swearing this woman will get no more of my money and then she shows a little hope and I fork out again for the next book. Never again. Terrible. Hideous. Seven orgasms of tediousness.

**Spoiler**
Anita checks her roster of sex partners and goes to see Jean-Claude.
Anita: I'm not pretty!
Jean Cluade: I love you!
Asher: I'm not pretty
7 orgasms later (yes 7 of them) the scene ends.

I think it works out to 50 words per orgasm.

Avoid at all costs. I don't know what happened to he...more
Llwells
On my Kobo - 31 pages of a bathroom sex scene with Anita, Jean-Claude, and Asher. I didn't really read the Anita series for the sex factor - I read it for the kick ass heroine and the STORY. While I DO understand that she is a succubus of sorts now, I find nothing wrong with saying she had lunch and is now on the lookout for dinner, just my opinion though.
Maryellen
A brief snippet of the smut that usually occurs and a first chapter teaser. Why did I eagerly anticipate this AND pay 2.99 for it? I'm not a prude, but I was hoping for an actual short story, not interchangeable sex.
Mad about
They expect me to pay for a sex scene? This series is getting to be a joke. Unless it's free im not going to read it
Cheryl
I realize this was just a deleted scene, and we really shouldn't expect much (like a plot) but as a publishing experiment this was a fail. This is the type of thing you have to offer for free or, at the most $.99. A deleted scene like this should be a bonus for fans, not a rip off. It certainly shouldn't be called #20.5.

If you want to charge your fans more than what most short stories go for, it should really BE a short story. Seriously, respect your fans, don't gouge them.

Also, the interaction...more
Shelly
ok, I hesitate to even put this in my read shelf, because it's not a book really. It's just a deleted scene from another book and to be honest, it's just like every other love scene that LKH writes these days. And it's annoying that in a 2 chapter scene that we have to get all the background about Asher's scars, how much he and Jean Claude loved Julianna and the description of JC's bathroom again. Trust me, if the readers are still reading the books at this point in the series we know all this a...more
Stacy
Yes, ok, I know I'm a sucker...but you know how starved I am for Jean-Claude!!! When LKH posted on her blog something that sounded like there was once again going to be a dearth of J-C thanks to this scene being cut, you know I had to scramble for whatever crumbs I was thrown! Unfortunately, this was pretty much the same 'ol same 'ol and was teeny tiny, so it was literally a crumb (of stale bread, at that.) sigh...I miss the old days of reluctance and seduction...it's just too wham-bam-thank you...more
Mel
Beauty was a hot little short. Nice, smexy scene between Anita, Jean Claude and Asher.

Please note that the entire short is 33 pages including the excerpt from Kiss the Dead which was soooo damn good. Can't wait to read it. My only complaint (which had no impact on my rating) is having to pay $3 for less than 20 pages but that's just me. I am spoiled and used to authors posting stuff like this free on their websites. Was the smexy scene worth $3? Not really but it was hot, I love Anita and it wa...more
kagit kiz
Kısa bir Asher/ Anita/ Jean Claude sahnesiydi. Ama hala bu kadın nasıl kızarabiliyor onu düşünüyorum 21. kitaba geldik nerdeyse hala blush blush :D
Jamie
I glazed over half the pages.. Read any one of teh last ..5 or 7 books and you'll get the same damn thing and save your 3 bucks.
Merve  Özcan
Bhttp://kitabisevda.blogspot.com/2012/...

Gelecek ay çıkacak olan ve serinin 21. kitabı olan Kiss The Dead'in ön okumasıda içinde bulunduran kısa bir hikayeydi Beauty. Anita, JC ve Asher banyoda, o meşhur siyah küvette haşır neşir olurken onların hislerine, bir birlerine olan bağına ve anılarına göz atıyoruz. Karakterleri hatırlıyoruz. Gerçekten çok güzeldi. Laurell gene sahneyi öyle güzel çizmişti ki sanki bende onlarla birlikte küvetteydim. Ah keşke!

Aynalar sanki hem geçmişi hem de o anı temsi...more
Nic Echo
About the Book:
Anita has never felt wanted; she is always surprised that she has such beautiful boyfriends in her life. In this outtake, Jean-Claude and Asher are pleased to show her just how desirable she is.

Review:
Oh, what to say about this? I mean, there is almost nothing to review. This entire thing was only two chapters (roughly 20 or so pages total) and then a preview chapter of her upcoming book. For what it was, this special was highly overpriced (a whopping $2.99). However, in Hamilton...more
Benita Vehnom  Ruiz
Sexy, lots of sex and I mean a lot of sex (7 orgasms later,yes 7 of them) But what do you expect when you put Jean Claude, Anita and Asher together in a hot tub no less. I liked this deleted scene , we were able to see how Anita has grown in her sexuality, and it's about time!!!

Story in a Nutshell:
Jean-Claude and Asher decide that they together will top Anita, but come on, we all know Jean-Claude is an Alpha male and he ends up TOPPING both Anita and Asher. After about 7( I lost count after tha...more
mlady_rebecca
The scene that didn't happen in "Kiss the Dead", because Asher wasn't being a good boy. Not much to describe: a mfm sex scene with Jean-Claude, Anita, and Asher in Jean-Claude's big marble tub. Two chapters long.

The "Kiss the Dead" preview in the back is part of chapter 1, and all RPIT Federal Marshal stuff.

My first Kindle pre-order. If Laurell didn't mention the book on Twitter I would have forgotten it was out today.
Lilie
Mais quelle daube! C'est une honte de faire payer les gens pour ça, Laurell, tu me déçois de plus en plus!
Spoiler Whore but you can call me Amanda
Just two chapters but it's worth the price for some Jean Claude, Asher and Anita.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This deleted scene starts off a bit annoying but then gets HOT. The ménage a trios shows us why Anita loves her men, Jean Claude and Asher.

Opening Sentence: Once upon a time I’d had no one to go home to after a crime scene, but that was back in the day when I’d done nothing but hunt bad guys and raise zombies.

The Review:

I want to start off this review saying that Beauty is just a deleted scene. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no plot. I...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
It’s been a long time since the Anita Blake series and I have been on the same page. Once the subject of many, many re-reads, the world of Anita and her boys have fallen by the wayside as of late (though Merry Gentry still gets re-reads every few years). The series’ later books have become largely internal, both in terms of the pedantic dialogue explaining the world according to Anita and the disappearance of the mundane world. I’ve heard HIT LIST is a return to police work, but I’m not entirely...more
Jody Mena
Ladies who love L...: Beauty ... Anita Blake short story? 8 90 Apr 25, 2012 06:08AM
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond (The Hollows, #10.1)
  • Redemption  (Bonus story for The Guardian)
  • The Case of the Half-Demon Spy (Otherworld Stories, #0.10)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Undead and Underwater (Undead, #11.5)
  • Something Wicked (Living in Eden, #2)
  • Cursed (Touched, #1)
  • Bone Magic (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #7)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • An Evening for Vayl and Jaz (Jaz Parks #4.5)
  • The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters (Secret McQueen, #0.5)
  • Bound to Me (Dark Days, #0.5)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5)

“This was one princess who could rescue her own damn self.” 24 likes