Start by marking “The Riding Crop (Riding Crop #1)” as Want to Read:
The Riding Crop (Riding Crop #1)

The Riding Crop (Riding Crop #1)

Gideon ‘Lord Craven’, Broyles, pursues his naughty, nocturne adventures in the secret, salacious underworld of the East-End of 1887 London. The sexy and dangerous viscount will try everything just to have any kind of emotional reaction.

Published May 25th 2012 by Evernight Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Riding Crop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riding Crop

The Mating by Nicky CharlesDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCutters vs. Jocks by Elizabeth Marx
Best Free eBooks
65th out of 606 books — 1,248 voters
Wicked Ties by Shayla BlackHotwired by Anita PhilmarDaddy's Game by Normandie AllemanDecadent by Shayla BlackUnder By Duress by Kayla Stonor
Hot Erotic Romances
116th out of 553 books — 544 voters

More lists with this book...

5 stars – Erotic Victorian/Historical Romance Quickie

Wow, I loved this! It’s a fantastic little freebie that packs quite a wallop at only 22 pages. I really enjoyed the author’s writing style and will read more of her work.

BDSM, voyeurism, m/m sex (observed), and of course...the use of a Riding Crop

I found it free at All Romance’s website:

Jan 25, 2013 Dina rated it did not like it
Recommended to Dina by: Freebie from All Romance Ebooks
Sucker, thy name is Dina. When will I learn to stay away from freebies by unknown (to me) authors? :(

This read was a complete waste of my precious time. Characterization was nowhere to be found, which prevented me from caring for the so-called H/h, and the sex scenes were off-putting. Thankfully, this is a very short story; otherwise, it would have ended in my DNF shelf.
A.R. Von
Jun 27, 2012 A.R. Von rated it it was amazing
An excellent sexual short that left me wanting much much more! I'm very curious what else was within The Riding Crop as well as the future of Olivia and Gideon. I will be looking into more of Karyn's work after reading this goodie. The writing is so well done for such a short read. It takes some great skill for an accomplishment like that.

Props to you Karyn :)
Red Phoenix
Jun 27, 2012 Red Phoenix rated it it was amazing
What can I say... I really, really liked this one. All kinds of naughty experiences wrapped up in a short story - including the budding romance of hurting lovers. Love the descriptions, the time period and the characters. Best of all, it was free on Smashwords. Karyn, I love your writing!
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Sep 23, 2012 Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...] rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a hot and short freebie!
Gayl Taylor
May 25, 2012 Gayl Taylor rated it it was amazing
For a short, The Riding Crop by Karyn Gerrard packs a solid punch. The characters are well developed and while this has light BDSM elements, it is romance at its finest.

Gideon and Olivia are both damaged. They have locked their emotions away and neither will relinquish control to anyone. Can these two strong-willed people find common ground? Read it to find out. This book was offered as a free read but I would have paid to read this story.

Gideon ‘Lord Craven’ Broyles pursues his naughty,
The Riding Crop is a sexy short set in 1887 London. Gideon, "Lord Craven", heads over to The Riding Crop for some nightly entertainment. While there, in the voyeurism rooms, he witnesses a sensual scene between a man and his wife. Nothing edgy about it, but it shows him how exciting it can be to share yourself and pleasure others. He's always been a wham-bam-thank-ya-ma'am kinda guy who takes his pleasure and runs, but now he wants something different. And, he wants it with Mistress Birch.

I en
Jan 24, 2016 Baby rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those longing for Romance with BDSM.
Dear FRiend,

I'm not sure why I couldn't quite get into this one. It was well written, steamy with oodles of romance. It seemed to pack a whole book's worth of romance into one short story.

Maybe the historical regency aspect combined with fairytale-like romance made it seem a little too inaccessible to me. Just too removed from reality for me to swallow, I guess.

At any rate, I think the problem is me, not the book--I actually recommend this one for it's hardcore romance with some BDSM thrown in
Aղցela W.
Aug 20, 2014 Aղցela W. rated it it was ok
This was a short quick read too quick Gideon ‘Lord Craven’, Broyles goes to The Riding Crop a house of pleasure to well to find pleasure he likes watching he observes Mistress Birch flogging a client and he has an instant attraction to her and wants her. This was a quick read and you really didn't get a chance to get to know either of the MC's and I know that their is a part two that I am interested to read. I just wished that this book was longer.
Jan 21, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I enjoyed this free read and it definitely left me wanting to read more from Karyn Gerrard. The story is short but very hot, I just felt it was a bit unbelievable the way the relationship started to develop so quickly. I know I'm probably being fussy because it is a short story but I'd have preferred it if the author hadn't tried to give me a HEA at the end. Still an enjoyable read though and worth checking out - especially since it's a freebie
Jun 24, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
This story was good but too short. I would love to read a follow up and see how things are going with both Olivia and Gideon. The club sounds interesting and I would like to take another tour since Gideon was only on the third floor and then the gold room. What is on the other floors?
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was a really short scene. It was enjoyable. I'm a bit surprised at how quickly blood was drawn. I'm not sure what kind of crop was used to cut through the skin so quickly. It was a bit fast from first meeting to declaration of being partners.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
A very short erotic niblet that plays out a scene between a jaded man and a damaged woman in a private club. Well written with just enough to whet your appetite and have you wishing for more.
Oct 02, 2015 Evie rated it it was amazing
This one falls within my "perfect for bed time" category. It is a really short read, but goodness I couldn't get enough.

What surprised me was that for such a short read, the way the characters were described, their actions, and their dialogue did not leave me wishing they'd done or said something else, as it usually is the case with short reads. This one, left me craving for more because it was that good.

I can't really say more because I'd spoil it. All I can say is that there couldn't be a bet
Susan (susayq ~)
Wow! A quick and hot read that I thoroughly enjoyed! I'll be looking for more by this author.
Sammy Loves Books
Fun short erotic read about Lord Craven finding redemption and possibly love via the riding crop!
Michelle ♣ Ndayeni
A rather confusing story that promises more steam than it delivers. I will give it this: despite the short length, the author does manage to make the characters come alive and seem real to the reader. They aren't just cardboard cutout stereotypes, or at least not entirely so. It's easy enough to feel empathy for both of them, but rather difficult to believe that either would have as sudden a change of heart as they do. I can kind of see why he would have had such an epiphany that he'd be seeking ...more
The BookChick
My Rating:

Book Description:

Olivia Durham is known as ‘Mistress Birch’ at the infamous club, The Riding Crop. Wielding a crop of her own, she coolly dispenses lashings to her male, aristocratic clients. Her world is shaken when Lord Craven makes a shocking proposa
Jun 19, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I didn't *dislike* the story but I felt like it would have benefited from a longer length just so the characters had a chance to really hash out their issues. I mean, I'm all for a good beating to break down those emotional walls and everything but they had A LOT of things to work through. A LOT.

And now I'm going to pause for a moment because after doing a little research, I realized that book 2 is a continuation of this story. So... yay! More flogging fun with added character development.

Fiona Marsden
Mar 21, 2013 Fiona Marsden rated it liked it
A fairly short free read set in the underbelly of Regency London. Very much underbelly stuff with the action taking place in what is basically a Sex club that caters for BDSM, voyeurism, GLBT etc for the jaded ton.

The story is about the jaded Gideon who sees Mistress Birch (guess what she does) and wants her. Playing into her interaction is something he sees just prior that awakens him to something he's missed, despite his vast and dissolute sexual experience.

Surprisingly it turns out this is a
Dec 15, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Lord Gideon Broyles is bored. He goes to his club, The Riding Crop, and watches a woman dominate a man. He is intrigued.

I liked Gideon and Olivia, the woman. The story is short but well written. I liked that two lonely, wounded people found each other and will, hopefully, lessen the pain they both feel. I hope to see more of these two in the future.
Dec 17, 2013 Joelle rated it it was amazing
I don't always like historical romances, but I loved this one.

The setting of a Victorian sex club with a man nicknamed "Lord Craven" drew me in from the start. As we moved through the various scenes with him, his boredom with what was no longer taboo and extreme to him was interesting to me. But when he got to the Duke and Duchess and was enthralled by their loving erotic connection- I giggled with pleasure.

The introduction of Mistress Birch/Olivia- the wielder the riding crop of the story's tit
T.C. Mill
Mar 11, 2014 T.C. Mill rated it liked it
Despite the "male dom" tag which almost turned me off, it's the lady wielding the riding crop in this one--in a very interesting set up! Though the emotional arc is terribly rushed, it feels like the beginning of something longer.
Ronda  Tutt
Oct 28, 2012 Ronda Tutt rated it it was amazing
Hot Short Story!

I loved this little story as it shows the blissfulness a couple can gain when there is give an take from both sides in all sexual encounters. The story gives glimpse into rooms showing M/M interaction being rough and hard with no emotion, then shows a room where passion is slowly and erotically given between a man and a woman, and then shows a room where a man wants to submit to a woman by being cropped. After observance of all three, two individuals coming together not knowing t
Amy Miller
Jan 30, 2016 Amy Miller rated it liked it
An interesting short story. I loved that Olivia is Mistress Birch especially during this era where woman are to let men be in charge. I look forward to reading more of Olivia and Lord Cravens tale!
Deanna Against Censorship
Jun 07, 2014 Deanna Against Censorship rated it really liked it
Well done short story that made me want to know what happens next yet it was a complete short story by itself. The 2 MCs intrigued me being two lonely souls.
Kiru Taye
I love the way two people can feel a connection and love can blossom if only they would let go of their inhibitions and give and take. Lovely and sexy short read.
twelvejan [Alexandria]
After reading a bunch of trashy and poorly written short stories, I finally found something with a stronger plot that makes sense. Yeay to me.
Sandra R
Jun 30, 2014 Sandra R rated it really liked it
Short, steamy story. It's good to read something this length in between long novels
Karyn Gerrard
May 30, 2012 Karyn Gerrard rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
NOT my rating:

My Earnest Reviews

This reviewer's rating: 5 - Outstanding

This is a nice short story. Definitely not what I expected and while people don't normaly change years of the same way of thinking within five minutes normally, the romantic in me finds this story really touching, that two people whose hearts seem set in stone can melt in a brief incounter. I guess the moral of this story is if the two people are just right for each other then anythings
  • Captain's Price
  • Cum For Bigfoot 3
  • Cataclysm Blues
  • Going Berserk (Berserker Mate's, #1.5)
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • A Bolt From The Blue
  • Mr. Satisfaction Guaranteed
  • The Perfect Score
  • Mona Lisa Three
  • Anchor and Storm
  • Phantom Lovers
  • A Breach of Promise (The Rules of Engagement Book 1)
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
  • Nothing To Forgive
  • Seduced by the Angel (Divine Fornication, #1)
  • A Very Sinful Valentine (Addicted, #2.2)
  • Breeding The Female (Forced, Fucked, and Bred Trilogy, #2)
  • The Horny Minotaur
Karyn Gerrard, born and raised in the Maritime Provinces of Eastern Canada, now makes her home in a small town in Northwestern Ontario. When she’s not cheering on the Red Sox or travelling in the summer with her teacher husband, she writes, reads romance, and drinks copious amounts of Earl Grey tea.

Even at a young age Karyn’s storytelling skills were apparent, thrilling her fellow Girl Guides with
More about Karyn Gerrard...

Riding Crop (2 books)
  • A Riding Crop for Two (Riding Crop #2)