Start by marking “Make Your Own Luck” as Want to Read:
Make Your Own Luck

Make Your Own Luck (A Remy Summer Woods Mystery #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Make Your Own Luck, a Remy Summer Woods mystery, is the unforgettable and moving novel of a young attorney who refuses to believe thirteen-year-old Bonita Pickney killed her father, Patrick Pickney, despite her insistence of guilt. Remy risks her relationship with her own father and her life to prove Bonita's innocence. Along with learning what really happened the night Pa ...more
Paperback, First, 352 pages
Published July 6th 2012 by Telemachus Press (first published March 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Make Your Own Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Your Own Luck

Victoria Allman
Jun 03, 2012 Victoria Allman rated it it was amazing
Look out lawyer-mystery lovers, there is a new name in town and it is NOT Grisham.

Joanne Lewis's mystery, Make Your Own Luck, is the story of a Ft. Lauderdale lawyer trying to fight for her client, a 13-year old girl accused to killing her father, and trying to fight for her life. From the first page you are drawn into Remy Summer Woods life and can't stop turning pages until you find out what happens. Right up until the big reveal, I had no idea who the killer was and when I read it on the page
Mitsy
Oct 07, 2012 Mitsy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Yes! I won this fascinating story! I love it!

Remy is a star and a character everyone will want as a best friend. When Remy sees a 13-year-old girl accused of killing her father, Remy is drawn to Bonita. Perhaps because both Remy and Bonita lost their mothers to cancer. Remy decides to represent the girl. That decision is either the best or worst of her career, even her life. Yes, Remy is the superstar in this story.

The writing is crisp. The plot so crazy I wonder what the heck is going on. Did
Darla Warrior
Aug 26, 2012 Darla Warrior rated it it was amazing
You'll like Remy Summer Woods. She's an unexpected heroine who'll win your heart and take you on a journey of mystery. The daughter of a high powered lawyer means she's got some pretty big shoes to fill. You'll eat up the pages. MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK was a goooood read.
Kwoomac
Great first book in what will hopefully be an ongoing series starring Remy Summer Woods. She's an attorney working in Fort Lauderdale at her father's law firm. So not only is there a mystery but lots of complicated family dynamics, always interesting stuff.

Lewis created some very interesting characters here. I really liked Remy, her brother Carlos, and step-mother Maria Elena. There are also plenty of great bad guys. My favorite character, though, would have to be 13-year-old murder suspect Bon
Sep 17, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads ARC Giveaway. Remy is a lawyer in her fathers law firm in Florida. She risks her life and relationship with her own father to represent a 13 year old girl accused of murder. It's a fast paced murder mystery with some family secrets thrown in. I would definitely like to read any further books if it becomes a series. I would like to see how some of the family dynamics play out.
Allison
Jul 21, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
Imagine...a murder mystery with characters of substance and real life, complicated relationships......such is Make Your Own Luck by Joanne Lewis. I enjoyed this novel and recommend it.
Allison
Jul 21, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it a book about relationships with a murder mystery woven in, or vice versa? Both were present in this fun read, written by my cousin, Joanne Lewis. Recommend!
Lilmissmolly
Mar 25, 2014 Lilmissmolly rated it it was ok
I listened to the Audio version of this book. Make Your Own Luck is a murder mystery with the familiar story line of rich girl from a dysfunctional family who is out to save the world. She has something to prove while at the same distance herself from her father. Parts of the book were enjoyable, but others just seemed very stung-out and unbelievable. This book could have easily ended a few chapters earlier for better effect.

Sue Sharp’s performance was just OK. You could tell she was reading and
Mahree Moyle
Oct 13, 2014 Mahree Moyle rated it liked it
This was a good story. I think Lewis can only get better. Connected with the characters. I would read other books by this author.
Jean-Marie
Aug 31, 2012 Jean-Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, adult
3.5 stars. A quick read and fun mystery set in South Florida. I probably would've given it more stars if I didn't find myself rolling my eyes at all of the flip-flopping characters. Ronnie is dead. No he's alive. (I was relieved that it wasn't his twin brother alive, although I wasn't quite sure what to expect until the last page of story.) Ronnie is a good guy. Villian. Good guy. Villian. Good guy! It was a crazy ride.
Claire
Oct 20, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
This was a fast moving story in which I got lost. I had a hard time keeping up with the characters and there was so much action I felt bombarded. It seems like in the last action scene Remy got blown up three times and apparently came out of it with no injuries. I would lend the book to a friend.
Leedoglaw
Nov 19, 2013 Leedoglaw rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns throughout the entire novel. A ton of fun.
Diane
Jun 08, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing
Excellent murder/ mystery!
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sandra Crow
Sandra Crow marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Sherrie Feldman
Sherrie Feldman rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Myron Bailey
Myron Bailey rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
D.S. Williams
D.S. Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
Dec 20, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Wayne Lawrence
Wayne Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Janet O'Hara
Janet O'Hara rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
  • The Romance of the Unicorn
  • Wax
  • Something Wicked
  • Kindred Crimes
  • Eminent Domain (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #3)
  • Tainted Justice
  • What You See (Jesse Watson Mysteries, #1)
  • Revenge of the Crafty Corpse (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Restoring the Castle
  • Parrish the Thought (A Christine Sterling Mystery, # 3)
  • A Part to Play