Start by marking “Wedding Cake for Breakfast: Essays on the Unforgettable First Year of Marriage” as Want to Read:
Wedding Cake for Breakfast: Essays on the Unforgettable First Year of Marriage

Wedding Cake for Breakfast: Essays on the Unforgettable First Year of Marriage

No matter how long a bride and groom have been together before the wedding, their first year of marriage holds many unexpected, unusual, and exciting events for them. In Wedding Cake for Breakfast, twenty three critically-acclaimed female writers offer their thoughts, anecdotes, and reminiscences on that magical and unpredictable period of life. Contributors include New Yo ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wedding Cake for Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wedding Cake for Breakfast

Ashley
Mar 29, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun essays and an easy read. I read a few each day right before bed, and it was good because they wrap up nicely in just 5-10 pages. Nothing super insightful or revealing but lots of good little reminders.
Amy Elaine
I enjoyed these essays which included very different perspectives and experiences about marriage. I was thinking about buying this for two different friends that got/are getting married this month - but after reading it myself, think I won't . . . it is honest about things not always working out. Which, while it is reality, seems a little cruel to point out to a newlywed. They will be figuring that out themselves.
T.
Apr 05, 2012 T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
Kelly Knapp
May 16, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all honeymooners. anyone
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads giveaway
At first, I was bothered by the fact that everyone of the women in this book is well-known. To me, their public life changes the private life. I wanted to read about everday women. then i read the book.

First, I did not recognize most of the names. I had to look them up and see their photos to realize about whom each story was written. Then, I realized that most of the "first year" of marriages was long before these women became well-known. So, I found that I enjoyed the reads.

Perhaps my favorite
Terry
A wonderful trip down memory lane for the happily married (or widowed), and an insightful look at what might lie ahead for others. This book is a collection of short essays, all written by women, addressing (in retrospect) the first year of their married life. Written by women from diverse backgrounds who approached their early married life with surprisingly differing expectations, the essays address many differing situations -- more than a few of them address the first year of re-marriages. Mo ...more
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
While I enjoyed reading these women's stories--it felt, in a way, like listening to 23 new friends tell you how they met their husbands--after a while things did start to become non-distinct in my mind. Many were about women who were ambivalent about marriage but did it anyway because they liked the guy. In a different context, this would have felt like the presentation of a sociological trend, but here, I started to feel like it was disingenuous; after all, none of these stories ended in divorc ...more
Kimberly
Jul 06, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this collection of essays to be hilariously funny as well as incredibly insightful. Being newly married myself (and still planning a wedding--it's a long story), I could related to these tails of newly wedded non-bliss. Everyone puts so much focus on the wedding and the honeymoon, but they never tell you about the not so fun parts of that newly married period. Not that it's all bad, but there is going to be some adjustments, and that isn't always easy. It was nice to know I'm not the onl ...more
Stephanie Marie
I read this book while on my honeymoon, immediately after our wedding cake was cut, we had an incredible party with all our friends, and I said "I do" to the man of my dreams. I was definitely in an emotional place when I started this collection and I felt like I really connected with many of the stories and emotions conveyed by these fabulous women writers.

I wish more of these had been written by more recent newlyweds-- I think their perspective would be more refreshing and more relatable to a
Katie
Apr 27, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun collection of essays by straight female authors about their first year of marriage. I loved some of the essays (including my friend Liza's, on her marriage to her gay Muslim best friend to keep him in the country), and some weren't exactly my thing - any of the ones where marriage is seen as a natural progression of rock + princess wedding + house in the burbs, for example. However, the sheer variety of experience (at least, among straight females) was fascinating in itself, and despite marr ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Apr 19, 2012 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I won this book from Goodreads' First Read program.

I am getting married next week for the second time after sitting out for 16 years. It was nice to read the 23 essays by female writters on the first year of marriage. They varied just as each of our marriages vary because of the personalities of those involved. Some were funny, some were sad, some were helpful with pointers. Patience between the couple seems to be the key when merging two lives with all their baggage.

I enjoyed it. I wish they wo
Natalie
Jun 11, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out after seeing it come through in a holds cart where I work. After searching for months for books that elaborate on the challenges of marriage, especially in the first year, I was pleased to find this book. The essays are hilarious, and I found myself relating especially to the author of the first essay in this compilation. I laughed out loud in parts and cried in others. Highly recommend.
Kate
Aug 13, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute, very honest and candid. I would recommend it to someone in their first year of marriage (definitely not for someone who's about to be married). I enjoyed hearing about other's take on that first year, the struggles, the fun, the day to day life changes. There is something relate-able in each essay and several times I found myself thinking "thank goodness someone else has felt this way!"
Courtney
Jun 06, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting married in a few months and this book was absolutely wonderful to read. It made me think about everything that goes into a marriage. Many people get so focused on the wedding that they forget the actual marriage part. This book gives you a sense of marriage from dozens of different angles, backgrounds and situations. I recommend this for any newlywed or bride-to-be. :)
Nicole
Jun 26, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess I was looking to remember my own first year of marriage (not like it was that long ago or anything). I realized early on this book was not written for a reader like me. Although I connected with some of the stories -- the perspectives seemed to come from women who have been married much longer than me. I think a collection like this could be a lot more.
Sara
Aug 19, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated the honesty and directness of these stories. Not what I expected. Some of the stories felt a bit rushed or flapped together. I generally don't like short stories, but considering these were reflections on personal experiences I didn't feel jilted. Probably read them a bit fast... I forget to savor writing sometimes.
skm duff
This book wasn't bad. Lots of good insights into marriage from the short stories which remind everyone that life isn't perfect and neither are we. Things really do change, whether a lot or just a little, when you're actually married. I think it's a good read especially for those who have/had a lot if build up to their wedding day.
Heather
Sep 06, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun to read. I liked that it was a collection of essays--that fits my attention span perfectly right now and wasn't junk.. And they presented a great variety of experiences with marriage. A few of them are real treasures. My favorite one was The Marry Boy.
Susan
May 26, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
A few really great essays in this collection, but most of them didn't make a huge impression on me. I did like the diverse look at the first year of marriage, but overall, it didn't bowl me over nor will it remain memorable.
Katie
Aug 26, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful little collection of essays. Each writer has such a prominent voice in their first-year experience and each really brings something unique to the table. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable read as I soon head into the journey of marriage.
Monica
Aug 21, 2012 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this on the new books shelf at the library and picked it up since I generally like essay collections by women. Some good stuff here, but some pretty regressive (e.g. Of course you'll lie about things to your husband, such as getting botox.)
Bernadette
I am reading this collection of short stoires - given to me my a dear friend - slowly as the date of my wedding approaches. Such a thoughtful gift I am have so far enjoyed each essay for it's own merits and look forward to vompletely the second half of the collection.
Victoria
Jun 11, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute compilation of short stories on the first year of marriage-something I would want to read in preparation for being married myself. Even though it's all centered around marriage, anyone can appreciate the themes written about in these short stories. Lots of variety!
Janis Thomas
May 15, 2012 Janis Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. All different voices and perspectives on the first year of marriage. Often laugh-out-loud funny, often poignant. Anyone who has maneuvered through that period of time will find something to relate to!
Jen
Jan 24, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
The premise of this book is amazing but I skipped many of the stories because the writing was horrendous.
Cara Ellison
Most of these essays were deeply moving, well-written and full of wisdom. Only one or two were a little weaker.
Madison
These essays are like getting a peek into other people's marriages. Interesting but I didn't relate to any of them like I thought I would.
Sara
Jul 26, 2015 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't even finish, so you know it's bad.
A lot of potential, but totally pointless. Just... boring essays. SO boring, and even more than that, I felt, totally missing the point.
Amber
Jul 29, 2012 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the essays were funny, witty, or appealing, but I expected more depth. Overall I became bored with the theme quickly.
April
Sep 19, 2013 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and fluffy. A few pretty good stories but nothing phenomenal. A fun no brainer as I am about to enter that ominous first year of marriage myself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Clean Break: A Novel
  • Hack: Stories from a Chicago Cab
  • The Bridesmaids: True Tales of Love, Envy, Loyalty . . . and Terrible Dresses
  • Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome
  • The Queen's Code
  • Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • Love Shrinks: A Memoir of a Marriage Counselor's Divorce
  • Road To Seeing (Voices That Matter)
  • Dancing at the Shame Prom: Sharing the Stories That Kept Us Small
  • Seeing Ezra: A Mother's Story of Autism, Unconditional Love, and the Meaning of Normal
  • Where We Have to Go