Start by marking “Nelson Mandela: Portrait of an Extraordinary Man” as Want to Read:
Nelson Mandela: Portrait of an Extraordinary Man

Nelson Mandela: Portrait of an Extraordinary Man

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published April 28th 2012 by Crown Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Nelson Mandela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson Mandela

Adam Deverell
My daughter won this at her primary school graduation (Citizenship Award) and I took it on when she couldn't quite get past the intro!

Some great insights into an amazing life by his biographer, and accessible for High School students as well as those wanting a snapshot of his life along with a good character study.

I remember most his warmth with others (although not his own family) and also the image of him tending his vegetable garden in prison and his drive to make that garden grow. The fact h
Eddie
“...Mandela’s life is a model not just for our time but all time.” p.19

Richard Stengel has managed to distill from a sea of notes, taken from interviews with Nelson Mandela for Long Walk to Freedom, fifteen valuable life lessons. This ‘portrait’ of a freedom fighter provides a peek into some of Mandela’s personal mantras; those which equipped Mandela with, among other things, a moral compass, a sustaining force of will and a principled temperament that only a few possess:

“Nelson Mandela is a man
Baljit
This book is about the psyche of Mandela. He had certain qualities that were tempered by his time in prison and he was a brilliant strategist. He knew when to lead, how to lead, how to champion the rights of the black Africans and to dispel the fears of the white Africans- and when to step down as a leader.
Jake Almond
This is a book I will continue to read throughout my life and I believe will continue to have an impact on me as this great man impacted so many others
Ciaran Mcfadden
Some interesting stories and an insight into Mandela, but a bit too lightweight and lacking in depth for me.
Kevin Brownsey
This is a very good insight into Mandela's leadership qualities by a man (Stengel) who obviously loved him as a man and a mentor. I would have liked more coverage of Mandela's early years, when as an advocate of violence he was clearly no angel, albeit highly committed to his cause. A very good, if slightly superficial read which lacks only a bit of balance.
Paul Tanton
A compelling read with tangible and authentic leadership lessons from 'Madiba' who matured these skills during his incarceration. Let us not let his legacy be forgotten, lets live this legacy in every sphere of our own lives.
Rebecca Baker
Loved it, it was good to read not just of mandela's achievements and personal sacrifices but of his human side, his regrets and struggles with family and and his strengths and weaknesses. An amazing human being but I loved the 'human' struggles that are often current in every man and woman's life. Could not put it down!
Linda Z
This is a great introductory book on the life of Nelson Mandela. Its definitely a bonus that its written in a way that compacts his personal experiences into life lessons for us all.
Sary Abu Nijem
Amazing book that talked about Mandela's struggles throughout his life, the different aspect of becoming a legend and a great leader. Lovely read.
Mandy
Great book. Anything on Nelson Mandela is a good read but this gentleman writes particularly well. Worth the time.
Mary
easy, but inspiring, read. lessons on leadership, not a biography.
Mohamed Deen
Mohamed Deen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Abel
Abel marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Sonnetta
Sonnetta marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sofiah
Sofiah marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Andrea Matthewson
Andrea Matthewson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Buddyr
Buddyr marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Erdbeere
Erdbeere marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mandela's Way: Lessons on Life, Love, and Courage You're Too Kind: A Brief History of Flattery TIME The Constitution: Does It Still Matter? January Sun: One Day, Three Lives, a South African Town Mandela over leven, liefde en leiderschap