Beginning Again (Second Chance #1)

Beginning Again (Second Chance #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When Liz Fairchild's husband leaves her for a younger man, she decides it's time to start over. So she sells her house, takes her generous community property settlement and opens an art gallery in the Pearl District in Portland, Oregon. A little sweat equity, some interesting art to exhibit and assistance from a surprising source and she'd ready to open.

Enter Collins, an u...more
ebook
Published June 4th 2012 by Crimson Romance

To ask other readers questions about Beginning Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning Again

Dinosaurs &  Cherry Stems by Susan Jean RicciRoses at Dusk by M.W. RussellBreaking the Nexus by Lindsay AvalonSeal of Destiny by Traci DouglassEveryone Burns by John Dolan
Best New Author Books
51st out of 971 books — 1,366 voters
Bared to You by Sylvia DayThe Riding School by C.P. MandaraBound by Lucy PireelGabriella by Alan  HardyThe Happy Spinster by Karena Marie
Books to read instead of 50 Shades
21st out of 421 books — 526 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

Liz is an over 45 woman, (a big draw for uniqueness in romance stories already) who’s husband, Mason, decides one week before her 46th birthday to let her know that he’s gay, he’s in love with someone else and he’s leaving her. It’s a good thing she has a strong sense of self, because that might crush a weaker person. All you think you’ve known for twenty years is false?

I will be upfront and say that I didn’t like Mason at all. For me, a cheater is a cheater, n...more
Kay Rogal
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Peggy Bird's 'Beginning Again'. It is refreshing and well-written as Liz, approaching 50's, and Collins a slightly younger man, find fallin in love and chemistry do not end after the age 30. Liz and Collins are definitely worth rooting for as Liz shows 46 is still in the running and isn't afraid to embrace life and Collins doesn't give up, making things right with the woman he loves!
Kristin
I thought this was a fun read about an older woman who has been burned twice by men. She just recently got divorced to her long time husband when he confessed that not only is he gay and has been cheating on her their entire marriage, but he's fallen in love with the other man. For me, I was a little confused with how Liz could be okay with her ex-husband after everything went down. I mean if you spend over a decade with a man whom you have an intimate relationship with, wouldn't you be upset wi...more
Guilty Pleasures
Kitty's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 Stars

Beginning Again was an interesting story about love and trust, an older woman with a younger man and what they need to overcome to get beyond their problems. It was a joy to watch Collins fall in love with Liz and to see Liz accept the fact that she was falling for Collins.

Liz Fairchild is recently divorced. Her and her ex-husband, Mason, parted on decent terms and he is determined to help her out. He left her for another man. He owns...more
Shalini Ayre
Who would expect to be a widow in their twenties and twenty odd years later divorced? Not Liz Fairchild but that's exactly what's happened to her. The divorce was amicable enough - how could it not be when your husband left you for another man? Now alone, the only person she needs to focus on is herself.

Intent on seeing her happy, Mason (Liz's ex) helps her set up an art gallery. Wealthy after the divorce, she's going to have to downsize but for Liz she's able to decorate with vibrant colors and...more
Moriah Densley
Go ahead - judge this book by its cover. The story is as enjoyable as the gorgeous cover art. Peggy Bird is a pro, and it shows. Smooth, succinct prose, expert comedic timing, and fast pacing from start to finish.

You'll like Liz, the heroine. She approaches her problems with an endearing sense of humor. She's strong but loving, vulnerable but no-nonsense. She even likes her ex-husband. (You'll have to read the book to find out why.) If you like sexy, mysterious heroes who are believably romanct...more
Bookswithbenefits
Honestly, I was hooked by the premise: a man promising to help a new divorcee learn a little bit about herself and about sex. Just imagine! A check-off list for sexual adventures! It seemed so full of potential for steam and fun... and it seemed like a light read--especially because it came in at so few pages. But this modest little story was so much more than I expected. The characters and their emotional journey had a lot of depth. More than that, although readers know that Happily Ever Afters...more
Lotchie Burton
I loved this book from beginning to end. Author Peggy Bird skillfully wove her tale of a failed marriage, perceived sexual inadequacies and an older woman/younger man scenario together seamlessly. I liked Liz Fairchild immediately with her sharp mind, her no nonsense attitude and engaging sense of humor. Collins is her equal in every way except for a slight difference in age.

At 46, Liz is set upon a new venture in life orchestrated by her recent ex-husband. Though the two are divorced they rema...more
Amber Smith
This book is HOT! But as well as the steam, there is also a beautifully crafted plot that is just fabulous, and an inspiration for any woman who isn't a 'sweet young thing' in her twenties. Older women are SEXY!!! Yes, indeed.

Liz has absolutely NO confidence in herself, what with the extremely older first husband who showed little interest in her before he left her a young widow, and her second husband divorcing her (after many years of marriage) because he was actually gay. Hmph, no wonder Liz...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Romance novel authors are in many ways, pioneers. They are not afraid to tackle delicate issues like relationships in which the woman is older than the man. Beginning Again is definitely not the first romance novel in which the heroine is older than the hero, but for me it was the first one featuring a heroine that is way past her early forties.

Liz Fairchild made two wrong choices in her life about men. First, she married young and be...more
Jo Barney
Although Liz Fairchild is cool, tall, smart in all ways, including her taste in clothes, she has chosen wrong twice when it comes to husbands. One too old, one too gay, and so when a stranger comes on to her as she stands on the upper rungs of a ladder, hanging an art piece in her new art gallery, she’s glad she can look down at him, send him on his way. Except his way seems to be the way she’s going. Collins is a well-known sculptor, whom Liz welcomes to her stable of artists once she realizes...more
Cary Frates
Peggy Bird has done a wonderful job bringing her characters to life in and around the art scene of Portland, Or. With dignity and determination the heroine, Liz Fairchild, embarks on a new life and runs head-on into unlooked for passion in the very intriguing and off-beat person of Collins. As their romance unfolds, we find that the hunky lawyer-turned-artist has a secret he is hiding from Liz. On one hand, I found I liked him more and more, and on the other I wondered what the secret could poss...more
Irene
This is the romance for every woman over forty. Ultimate fantasy. Your husband dumps you around your forty-sixth birthday, not for a younger woman, but because he’s gay. Fortunately, you still rock a killer bod and hubby not only left you with a nice nest egg, he’s still willing to be your financial advisor and help you invest in your dream business.

Not enough fantasy for you? Enter Collins – the younger man who is anything but a boy toy. He’s gorgeous, he’s rich, he’s talented, and he’s appare...more
Kristina
I was immediately rooting for Liz from Beginning Again. A widow and recent divorcee, she could have been a whiney, self-centered character. But Peggy Bird has drawn a strong, competent heroine who is merely looking for a fresh start. Enter Collins, a much younger man, who wants to be part of that fresh start. Set in Portland, the book draws on the atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest. Ms. Bird draws funny, fresh characters you won't be able to resist.

I was able to read an ARC copy of this book; i...more
Eliza Daly
I was immediately drawn into Liz's story and read the book in one sitting. I loved the fact that Liz was 46, since heroines over 40 are quite rare, and that her love interest was a younger man. I also love art so I was intrigued by the fact that Liz was a gallery owner. She was a strong-willed woman getting on with her life after two bad marriages and the sexy artist Collins was certainly the man to help her move forward.(I don't usually read spicy books, so I have to admit I blushed in spots.)
Heather Rodney-Diaz
Life begins at 40-something and after two husbands! At least for Liz Fairchild. Who knew opening a new art gallery would bring along an exciting younger lover. In walked Mr. Brash and Bold Collins. (I loved that our hero had just one name!) And he invented a to-do sex list. This was a fresh and creative take on the many sensual scenes. (I especially enjoyed the limo ride!) I really enjoyed this book's fun and playful elements. Beginning Again by Peggy Bird was a light and fast but delicious read...more
T's Book
This was a Goodreads Giveaway 3 stars given by http://ktbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Beginning Again is a super short (105 pages) super cute story. I hesitate to say much about the storyline due to the length. It took me only a few hours to read. Perfect if you have a day filled with appointments or waiting rooms. No major plots lines that require a lot of concentration. A light easy read to make you smile.

Not going into the story overall as the synopsis says it all :)
It was cute.
T~
Denyse Cohen
I was glad to be able to read an Advanced copy of Beginning Again, because it's a wonderful tale of learning to love and thrust people after having a fair share of bed luck in life. Liz is forty-six-year-old (which is a great change of pace for romance novels) but exploring for the first time her sexuality and falling in love with a man who seems to be the epitome of maddening. Peggy Bird's narrative puts us right there with Liz and, sometimes, it feels deliciously naughty.
Deborah Cordes
Does anyone understand how difficult it is to write such a smooth, delicious, sinfully wonderful, and entertaining novel such as this? Well, I do!

I love Liz and Collins and the other great characters who people Ms. Bird's delightful world. Hooray for a heroine of such class, smarts, style, grace and... age. In a world of twenty-something heroines, how refreshing to read about a forty-six-year-old beauty. Well done!
WiLoveBooks
Liz is older than your typical romance heroine and has been both widowed and divorced. I was pulled into her story right away. Collins is a cocky, younger man and overcomes whatever objections she can come up with, but he has secrets. There is lots of steam and a little angst. It is a lovely book about hope, love, and starting over.
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
I enjoyed the first book in the series and I am moving right on to the second. Peggy Bird has become a New Favorite of mine!! After receiving an ARC of TRUSTING AGAIN, the fourth book and her upcoming release, I bought the first three and I am working my way through...ok...flying through, and enjoying EVERY minute!
Micah Persell
Beginning Again by Peggy Bird is a breath of fresh air in the world of romance novels. Her heroine, Liz, is a forty-six-year-old woman who shows the world a definition of sexy that smart women have always known. Thank you, Peggy Bird, for breaking down walls!
Leslie G.
I enjoyed this novel. It was well-written and fast-paced. I liked the tension the author built, especially when the hero got caught in a fix and then worked hard to set things right. I am looking forward to reading the other novels in this series.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Genre: M/F Contemporary
Rated: 4 Stars

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Divina

A short read about an "older woman", Liz Fairchild (46) who has gone through two marriages and starting her life again. With financial assistance from her ex-husband Mason (came out of the closet after 15 years of marriage), Liz was dusting off her Art Degree diploma and opening up a gallery. In the process of building her business and preparing for opening night, Liz meets mysterious "Collins" who happens to be a famous sculptor.

Collins(38), charges into her life VERY quickly. Liz is wined, din...more
Shiela
I'm not sure if this quit my read, it was ok, however I don't think it was quit something I was looking for.
Peggy Bird
Sep 07, 2012 Peggy Bird added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I read this. Many, many times. I wrote it. I'd love it if you read it, too.
Blue Lily
Blue Lily marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
  • Love of Her Lives
  • Wicked Paradise
  • The Reluctant Debutante (Cotillion Ball Series, #1)
  • Winter Fairy
  • Earth Enchanted (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • Where Did We Go Wrong?
  • Bad Vibes (The Edge of Texas #3)
  • NanoStrike
  • In This Life (Past Life #1)
  • Falling for You
  • Something Fierce (The Underground, #1)
  • Lucky Love (Looking for Love, #1)
  • A Heart Not Easily Broken (The Butterfly Memoirs, #1)
  • The Column Racer (Column Racer, #1)
  • Dancing with Detective Danger
  • Valley of Dust
  • Entangled Dreams (Southern Suspense, #3)
  • Angel Dance (Danny Logan Mystery, #1)
Born in Philly, raised in the suburbs, I moved to the Northwest as an adult and, other than a year in England and a couple years in Montana, have happily lived here ever since.

My work life has been more complicated. I was a nurse, political staffer, lobbyist, association executive and community affairs consultant before I followed my passions to writing and art glass. Not as much money but a whol...more
More about Peggy Bird...
Trusting Again (Second Chance, #4) Together Again (Second Chance, #3) Believing Again (Second Chance, #5) Loving Again (Second Chance, #2) Sparked by Love: A Holiday for Romance