Start by marking “Forbidden Fruit” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Fruit

Forbidden Fruit

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When PI Sam Young takes on the case of a philandering wife he has no clue it will lead to theft and murder. And when he stops for supper at his favorite diner, he doesn't know he'll end up meeting Jamie, a young man with aqua eyes who lives in terror of his ex-lover.

It will take all that is in him for Sam to discover who killed his client, while at the same time trying to
Published June 2nd 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Fruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Fruit

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
359th out of 607 books — 1,407 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
428th out of 574 books — 888 voters

More lists with this book...

Candice
While I finished it, unfortunately, this story just didn't work for me. I was interested at first and the story had potential, but then it all just sort of fizzled. I thought the story was going to be a real mystery, but even that was just abruptly cut short and really went nowhere. While a lot of others seemed to find this a romantic story, it just didn't read that way to me.
Tailtiu
The book started as a solid 4* but went down after 3/4 and ended 2,5*
Danni
This was an ok read for me. I really liked the two main characters (Jaime and Sam) and I liked the idea of the plot, but what made it only ok and not a five star read was:

* The mystery part of the plot and Sam´s job took up the first part of the book, but was then solved and that part of the plot was then done
* The romance was the second part of the plot and was pretty much separated from the mystery part of the plot, which was fine. However first nothing happened, then things happened in huge
Leaundra
Very sweet and I loved how Sam was with Jamie he was so patient with him..I loved the ending:-) Aww Charlie needs his own story:-)
Leigh
This review was posted at Under the Covers.

3.5 stars.

Sam L. Young, or Sly, as his close loved ones call him (which are 3, according to him), is a private detective in the Big Easy. We meet him as he is being hired by a man who is worried about his wife and business partner possibly having an affair. In the process of his investigation, Sam stops in at one of his favorite diners where he then meets a young and beautiful waiter, Jamie. While Sam is intrigued and attracted at once, nothing comes of
Candice
I wanted to love this. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the writing style, but I think it was too short for me. If it were longer, I could have believed what was happening.

Sly (AKA Samuel L. Young) is a PI and he's on a weird case about a cheating wife that gets turned all around. There was a case of "whodunnit", but I liked it. While he's thinking things over, he goes to lunch at his favorite spot "Charlie's" where he sees a new waiter, Jamie. He's immediately smitten with the kid. He keeps c
Nic
This one was a bit of mixed bag for me. While I enjoyed the mystery of the investigation of the case and I really liked the characters, I wanted to better understand Sam and his motivations.

In this book there are a couple of things going on - solving the mystery and the romance. Sam/Sly is a PI and involved in a couple of cases over the course of this story. The main case involves murder and missing money. As Sam is trying to solve the riddle, he meets Jamie, the new waiter at his local restaura
ReviewerLarissa
Review for Reviews by JesseWave

Forbidden Fruit is a story set around a tough PI who doesn’t take any bullshit. PI Sam L. Young, Sly to those few who love him, knows his way around the PI business and thinks he gets an easy case when he is hired to find evidence of a cheating wife. An open and shut case, or so he thinks. He never expects his case to lead to murder and theft, and a sweet young waiter with a troubled past.

Sam has a diner he favors and said diner just got a hawt new waiter.
R.J.
This was an awesome story, at around 30,000 words it is the kind of book you can curl up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a biscuit and devour in one sitting. Loved Sly and Jaimie. Would have loved to know what actually ended up to the bad guy he he...

Loved the details of the cases. Definitely recommended with the one proviso - it's a little short and I wanted more so we all need to gang up on Edward and make him write more in this verse.
Betryal
The whole story is damned good, but the final piéce de resistance for me was the ending because of how it tells us and takes us way into their future so we're not left wondering where they are now or to even look for a sequel and whine about wanting more. We're not left wanting more, but we are in the sense of wanting from this author other books that he has to offer us.

Brilliant story, Edward!
Kinny
This is the best Edward Kendrick story I own! This is a true romance! The sex only came in the near end but the progression of the relationship between Sly and Jamie mixed with the mystery was a page turner. Jamie suffered abuse in his past but it was not detailed (Thank God. The abuser gets his just desserts and Jamie gets a better job.
Veronica /  V
This was a very lovely, beautiful story and for me, it was perfect.

What I love the most is, that the author didn't go into details about the abused Jamie suffered with his last boyfriend.
The ending was wonderful, pity this is not part of a series, because I would love to read a sequel about Charlie.
Kazza
This is like a corny Disney story. It's not what I would even classify romantic, it's so unrealistic, particularly given it's genre. It's like a young adult but isn't supposed to be.
Serena Yates
As a combination of a mystery and a sweet romance, this short book was definitely a winner for me. The case PI 'Sly' has to solve is so outrageous it made me smile, yet, I bet stuff like that happens in real life. Add to that the romance between Jamie, who clearly has his own issues, and the tale is ready for take-off.

Sly is a regular PI, but a high class one. He charges a lot, but he also gets results, and what I really liked was that he first goes after one guy, then doesn’t even bat an eyelas
Neko
This was just the kind of read I needed right now.
A very intriguing--first person POV--wonderfully written story with a most satisfying ending.

(view spoiler)
Gabbi
4.5 Kisses

Forbidden Fruit is the first book I’ve read by Edward Kendrick and it definitely won’t be the last! I loved the easy style of writing Mr. Kendrick has and his ability to write sympathetic, humanly-flawed characters immediately swept me up into this story of mystery and romance that I found highly enjoyable.

Sam is a private investigator that has become a little cynical with his work and his life in general. Since most of his clients are people that want evidence against their cheating s
Sammy Goode
Dragnet. No, not the movie, but the series the movie was based on. Do you remember it? I think Edward Kendrick does. Dragnet was a cop show. Each week Joe Friday would come into our homes via television and solve a crime. He would narrate the story with a rather detached precision as we watched the action unfold. Forbidden Fruit is a lot like that—a narrated crime story that unfolds and with its resolution, you discover that Mr. Kendrick has tricked you—you haven’t just been reading a mystery no ...more
Natālija
The mystery, as always, was great, but the strengths of this book lies in its characters. Sam, without a doubt, is a swoon-worthy hero, but it's his caring and loving nature towards Jamie that won me over more than anything. I particularly appreciated the way the author handled Jamie's fears and the realistic portrayal of their relationship development. Recommended!
Meggie
This was a light romantic love story. The main storyline is rather easy; drawn around Sly and around his work as a private PI. I really liked Sly as a character. His cases were developed with good dialogues and warm comic. If you want an easy romantic story, this is a right choice.
Katy Beth Mckee
I really loved the way the story was written in the 50's style of the PI narrating his own life. It added a lot of fun to the story. It was wonderful to see how much Sly's love gives him the patience to wait for James to be ready to receive all the love he has to give.
Purplegirl
I did not like this book. Even with it being short, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. The way the mystery played out was simplistic and I wondered what was the point of it. The dialogue was just not good. Was Jaime 24 or 15? There was not anything I liked about this book.
Lauren
Short and sweet. I really liked the end, which was cute. I liked the two main characters, and although there was no surprises and no real conflict or angst, it was still a cute little read and ideal if you're looking for something easy going.
Janie
I liked the sweet, scared Jamie meeting the rough PI Sam. But this story just didn't do it for me. While the writing was very good, the story line just wasn't there for me. I did however love that we got a flash forward of 30 years later.
Patty
I truly liked this one, it was a fun read, with a little bit of mystery and intrigue. Sam and Jamie had good chemistry together.

I am hoping that maybe there might be a story for Charlie in the future. He intrigued me lot.
Sharon
Fun, romantic mystery. Reminded me of the old-time “gumshoe-type” movies. Love Sam (aka Sly) and Jamie! The ending was perfect. Will we see more of Charlie? Hope so. He needs his story told.
Sandra
I am torn between giving this a 3 or a 4 star. It started off really interesting, but the ending seemed rushed. I will have to read it again and re-star at that time :)
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Aggie
Publisher: Silver Publishing
Genre: M/M Contemporary
Rate: 3.5 hearts

Check out the review at: http://heartsonfirereviews.com
Nikko
It was a nice story but there was no sex except for a bit of a blowjob.. Just checking whether his other books are that way??
Erticchic378
This was one of the most touching stories I have read. So beautifully written. And the ending......perfection.
Rosemary

I enjoyed this one quite a lot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Until You
  • An Elf for All Centuries
  • Astronomical (Astronomers #1)
  • The Emo and the Jock (The Emo and the Jock, #1)
  • Poppy's Pleasure (Assassin’s Pride, #2)
  • The Statue
  • Blind Blondie
  • Priceless (The Gods, #1)
  • Still Waters (Sanctuary, #4)
  • Angel's Redemption (Men of Charlestown, #4)
  • Slow Burn
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me, #1)
  • The More Things Change
  • Joys R Us
  • Tian's Hero (The Akanti #1)
  • Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist. #1)
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
Born and bred Cleveland, I earned a degree in technical theater, later switched to costuming, and headed to NYC. Finally seeing the futility of trying to become rich and famous in the Big Apple, I joined VISTA, ending up in Chicago for three years. Then it was on to Denver where I put down roots and worked as a costume designer until just recently.

I began writing five years ago after joining an o
More about Edward Kendrick...
Everyone's Man Hitman's Creed (Hitman's Creed, #1) Abstract Realism An Honorable Man Mage of Silence