Start by marking “13 Women: Parables from Prison” as Want to Read:
13 Women: Parables from Prison

13 Women: Parables from Prison

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  8 reviews
However their stories differ in the details, all of the women in this book speak about their time in prison with eloquence and admirable candor. Some have spent most of their lives behind bars; for others, prison was a one-time experience. Most were incarcerated for offences related to drugs and theft. Several were involved in violent crimes. Three — Betty Krawczyk, Ann Ha ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Douglas & McIntyre (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 13 Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 13 Women

Twelve parables are about individual women, one parable is about indigenous women in Canada. Karlene Faith provides an introduction to each person, and then most follow with an account from interviews with or writings of incarcerated women in California in the 1970s and in Canada more recently. Faith then reflects on the woman's experiences at the end of each parable. The accounts are very engaging and the incarcerated women and Faith's analyses are apt. The selection of parables is kind of stra ...more
I really enjoyed this book. I really took my time with this one. There's just something about the solidarity between women who have reached the bottom that speaks of the strength that can be found in weakness. Something else that stood out to me was the power of literacy. Almost all of these women clung tightly to reading and writing to cope and many of these stories are victories. Recommend to anyone interested in womens studies, equality or just interested in prison culture.
Hearing the stories from all walks of women's prison life was amazing. Some have a real talent to tell a story, some of been telling it for so long that it is engrained in theor lives forever.

An awesome set of short stories by women in prison for a variety of reasons.
The stories of 13 women all incarcerated in California for a variety of crimes. One of the authors is a Leslie van Houten supporter, which really intrigues me. Interesting read, overall!
In 1971, 600 women were in prison in California. Today, there are over 11,000. Here some of those women's stories. It is absolutely devastating to read. Fuck prisons.
Sabrina Ali
Stories that need to be told. When we as a society punish people, do we look at who we are producing and letting out back into the streets after their time is served?
I've recommended this book because it is important for others to understand how messed up our "justice system" is, a reflection of our society.

So good. Women's studies lit at it's finest.
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Sarah Schofield
Sarah Schofield marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Whitney is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Christy Sanson
Christy Sanson marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Zainab A
Zainab A marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Steve added it
Nov 06, 2015
Andi marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Amelia marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Courtney Evans
Courtney Evans marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
A human rights activist for five decades, Karlene Faith is Canada's leading feminist sociologist on prisons. Her seminal book, Unruly Women, raised many crucial questions that define the prison reform movements of today. Co-founder of the revolutionary Santa Cruz Women’s Prison Project in 1972, and author of many books on criminology and women’s studies, Faith is currently professor emerita at Sim ...more
More about Karlene Faith...