Start by marking “La setta” as Want to Read:
La setta

La setta

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Una bambina morta da cinque anni telefona alla madre chiedendole di andarla a prendere. La povera donna inizia una ricerca disperata, con l'aiuto di uno scrittore e di una giornalista esperta in fenomeni paranormali. Emerge una terrificante realtà fatta di gruppi occultisti, di persone malvage affascinate dal male, tentacoli estesi nel tempo e nello spazio. Forse la bambin...more
Paperback, Superbestseller 164, 288 pages
Published 1997 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about La setta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La setta

Simon
Okay, this is bleak. Dark, gloomy and depressing from the outset, especially if, like me, you have a young daughter.

It is doubtless every parent's nightmare that they might lose their child, especially if they were brutally murdered. But could there be a worse fate than that? What if they were actually kidnapped by a secretive and sadistic cult? Years after you thought that were dead they were instead being initiated into unspeakable rites of violence and torture for this shadowy organisation? B...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
For at least half of this book, I enjoyed the leisurely pacing, and the vagueness of whatever worldwide, horrific movement was taking place. Campbell, however, has a problem paying things off.

The book opens in 1940 with a death row scene featuring a man posing as a psychiatrist and an inmate who struggles to explain why he had to return years later to finish torturing a woman he almost killed at his first attempt. "I just needed to finish," he says. Thirty years later, a woman in England learns...more
Steve
I think this is one of his best, involving a very nasty cult, a mother searching for her missing daughter, and a house no one in their right mind would want to go in to. On Atmospherics alone (Campbell's strength), this might be a 5 star book. It was made into a movie -- though I don't remember being all that crazy about it.
Teri Bryant
Aug 10, 2007 Teri Bryant added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Bad! No wonder it was in the free bin!
PsypherPunk
I read this several years ago, shortly after discovering Ramsey Campbell for the first time. I remember enjoying it but definitely recall the reaction to the ending being something akin to "WTF!?". Second time around my feelings are not dissimilar.

The ending, although infinitely more coherent than I recall, feels abrupt; as though suddenly we're heading towards the resolution and little that occurred before actually mattered. Similarly, the reappearance of Arthur feels like a rather twee deus ex...more
Roland
The book has a lot of build up as many other Campbell novels do, however they never seem to finish that strong. The general plot of the story is entertaining and you get the sense that the mother's guilt for "letting" her child slip away from her figuratively as well as literally. The child seems to harbor resentment and is willing to finish her ritualistic induction into the cult using her mother, but has second thoughts when she sees her dead father floating above her at the very last second....more
Debbie Johansson
A mother's daughter is kidnapped, and when she receives phone calls from her daughter nine years later, she becomes intent on finding her. The story draws the reader in from the beginning, so there is plenty of tension. The atmosphere is dark, and I especially liked the chapters when characters were walking through abandoned houses. I was a bit disappointed with the ending; the story ended abruptly so I don't think it lived up to the potential that it might have done. This is the first time I've...more
Steven

I've been impressed with Ramsey Campbell novels before now. So I was looking forward to this book. It's quite a short novel really. Didn't take long to read. The problem for me with it is that the characters don't really feel very well rounded. The tension does mount at times, which was good, but I think more could be made of the scenes that were scary. It's a difficult genre to write for, if you like horror you'll probably think this isn't strong enough. If you want to try reading horror for th...more
Pao Flores
average, I thought it'd cause several more reactions on my side, but ended up being standard.
Mel Baxter
Ok, pretty bleak but a good read.
Greg
I was really looking forward to reading this as it was recommended by someone, but I did not find it very suspenseful or intriguing. There were a few evil things that were vaguely mentioned that sounded interesting, but the author never expanded on them and the ending seemed a bit ridiculous. I won't ruin the ending for you, but I felt that this book could have been narrowed down to a taut 100 page story instead of the 300+. Not very scary or suspenseful so low score from me.
Jim
The books starts out very strong. I picked it up based on its lovecraftian ties, the ability to build a sense of dread out of atmosphere alone. On that note, the book shines. Unfortunately, the story just meanders a bit too much. For a short book, it almost seems like too many characters are added and not utilized. I assume this started as a very solid short story, became a novella and then stretched itself into a novel.
Eija
Kirjan alkupuolisko vaikutti tavanomaiselta trilleriltä. Kirjan puolenvälin tietämissä jännitys alkoi tiivistyä ja paikoin tunnelma oli klaustrofobinen. Kerronta oli välillä vahvasti visuaalista ja kuvailevaa, mutta paikoin toisaalta toteavaa shokeeravissakin kohtauksissa. Suomennoksessa kielikuvat ei oikein käänny järkevästi ja kerronta ehkä siksi tuntui välillä tönköltä. Kirjan lopetus oli huono.
Venessa
A tad better than the average pulp horror that I have on my shelves, but still not the greatest ever. More of a plot, decent writing, more scary because of the cult aspect going on. A bit of supernatural stuff going on.... however, the end was a bit of a disappointment as not a lot of stuff is explained, and all of a sudden the "forces of good" take over, as they always do.
Erin *Series Addict*
Disturbing book, surprising ending, good writing tone, decent characterization, certainly worth reading for Horror fans. Slower pace and not the strongest suspense in the world, but the unusual twists and the underlying, demented theme make up for that.
David Pollison
Believe it or not I have read only one other book by Ramsey Campbell. I saw the very good film version a few times several years ago. Now that I've read the book I am going to go back and watch the film again & compare.
James
Competently written (and somewhat of a breezy read as far as Campbell's novels go), but he's written better: the plot (and supernatural menace) of this novel strikes me as being somewhat underdeveloped.
Niccy
The ending was to rushed and vague. The rest of the book was interesting, but the end was limited to ten pages, which was not enough to cover some the elements that Campbell had put in the earlier pages.
Nelio Gomes
Well written and engaging in parts, but ultimately seemed more atmospheric than frightening.
Thomas
it was pretty good for the most part.
Sami Koskinen
Rare case where movie was better.
Luis
Genial del principio al fin!
Marjan
Marjan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sharon Ann
Sharon Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
  • Dark Gods
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • The Three Impostors and Other Stories
  • Occultation and Other Stories
  • The Elementals
  • The Devil in Gray
  • Wetbones
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • The Drive-In
  • Slob
  • Painted Devils
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Supernatural Noir
  • Coffin County
  • Walpurgisnacht
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • Sibs
  • Bloodstone
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Cold Print Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother