Start by marking “La setta” as Want to Read:
La setta

La setta

Una bambina morta da cinque anni telefona alla madre chiedendole di andarla a prendere. La povera donna inizia una ricerca disperata, con l'aiuto di uno scrittore e di una giornalista esperta in fenomeni paranormali. Emerge una terrificante realtà fatta di gruppi occultisti, di persone malvage affascinate dal male, tentacoli estesi nel tempo e nello spazio. Forse la bambin ...more
Paperback, Superbestseller 164, 288 pages
Published 1997 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about La setta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La setta

Kirstin
Well, this was disturbing.

The Nameless introduces us to literary agent, Barbara Waugh. Barbara's only child, Angela was murdered 9 years ago, and she is trying to move on from that trauma as best she can. Then, one night, the phone rings. It's Angela. She's alive and she wants her mommy to come find her.

Not bad but, not great. There are suspenseful/creepy moments but that only works well when you care for the characters. I didn't so, I wasn't too invested in their outcome. Yet another book that
Simon
Aug 24, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Okay, this is bleak. Dark, gloomy and depressing from the outset, especially if, like me, you have a young daughter.

It is doubtless every parent's nightmare that they might lose their child, especially if they were brutally murdered. But could there be a worse fate than that? What if they were actually kidnapped by a secretive and sadistic cult? Years after you thought that were dead they were instead being initiated into unspeakable rites of violence and torture for this shadowy organisation? B
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Hmm, I don't mind ambiguity, in fact I actively encourage it because it gets you thinking but when things are mentioned but have very little expansion it can be aggravating especially when a story starts off interesting and books you from the off...wasn't terrible per say but maybe just a tiny bit more explanation would have helped.
Charles Dee Mitchell
For at least half of this book, I enjoyed the leisurely pacing, and the vagueness of whatever worldwide, horrific movement was taking place. Campbell, however, has a problem paying things off.

The book opens in 1940 with a death row scene featuring a man posing as a psychiatrist and an inmate who struggles to explain why he had to return years later to finish torturing a woman he almost killed at his first attempt. "I just needed to finish," he says. Thirty years later, a woman in England learns
Cecilia
Tengo sentimientos encontrados con este libro. Por una parte, me ha llevado a descubrir a un autor que, estilísticamente, me ha impresionado. Sus símiles, la atmósfera opresiva que crea y su sentido del lenguaje son soberbios. Sin embargo, el argumento, que al principio está bien desarrollado, con agilidad y algunas escenas de presentación de personajes estupendas, poco a poco se va enredando de una manera confusa y, en un par de giros, introduce 'deus ex machinas' que hacen que la historia se d ...more
Steve
Aug 17, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I think this is one of his best, involving a very nasty cult, a mother searching for her missing daughter, and a house no one in their right mind would want to go in to. On Atmospherics alone (Campbell's strength), this might be a 5 star book. It was made into a movie -- though I don't remember being all that crazy about it.
PsypherPunk
I read this several years ago, shortly after discovering Ramsey Campbell for the first time. I remember enjoying it but definitely recall the reaction to the ending being something akin to "WTF!?". Second time around my feelings are not dissimilar.

The ending, although infinitely more coherent than I recall, feels abrupt; as though suddenly we're heading towards the resolution and little that occurred before actually mattered. Similarly, the reappearance of Arthur feels like a rather twee deus ex
Roland
Jul 22, 2011 Roland rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has a lot of build up as many other Campbell novels do, however they never seem to finish that strong. The general plot of the story is entertaining and you get the sense that the mother's guilt for "letting" her child slip away from her figuratively as well as literally. The child seems to harbor resentment and is willing to finish her ritualistic induction into the cult using her mother, but has second thoughts when she sees her dead father floating above her at the very last second. ...more
Debbie Johansson
A mother's daughter is kidnapped, and when she receives phone calls from her daughter nine years later, she becomes intent on finding her. The story draws the reader in from the beginning, so there is plenty of tension. The atmosphere is dark, and I especially liked the chapters when characters were walking through abandoned houses. I was a bit disappointed with the ending; the story ended abruptly so I don't think it lived up to the potential that it might have done. This is the first time I've ...more
Steven
May 24, 2012 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I've been impressed with Ramsey Campbell novels before now. So I was looking forward to this book. It's quite a short novel really. Didn't take long to read. The problem for me with it is that the characters don't really feel very well rounded. The tension does mount at times, which was good, but I think more could be made of the scenes that were scary. It's a difficult genre to write for, if you like horror you'll probably think this isn't strong enough. If you want to try reading horror for th
DeAnna Knippling
I enjoyed the opening and the sense that all of this was coming about because the mother wasn't taking good care of her daughter, the perception of that, but the book shifted throughout the middle into mystery mode--where is the cult? how can we track them down?--that I didn't find engaging. The end shifts back into horror, but by then we're used to thinking in terms of a mystery, and ehhh, the twist isn't.

The ending felt thin, and I felt like I'd lost caring for the mother by then, even though
Venessa
A tad better than the average pulp horror that I have on my shelves, but still not the greatest ever. More of a plot, decent writing, more scary because of the cult aspect going on. A bit of supernatural stuff going on.... however, the end was a bit of a disappointment as not a lot of stuff is explained, and all of a sudden the "forces of good" take over, as they always do.
James
Oct 02, 2013 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Competently written (and somewhat of a breezy read as far as Campbell's novels go), but he's written better: the plot (and supernatural menace) of this novel strikes me as being somewhat underdeveloped.
Niccy
Jun 08, 2013 Niccy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was to rushed and vague. The rest of the book was interesting, but the end was limited to ten pages, which was not enough to cover some the elements that Campbell had put in the earlier pages.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Disturbing book, surprising ending, good writing tone, decent characterization, certainly worth reading for Horror fans. Slower pace and not the strongest suspense in the world, but the unusual twists and the underlying, demented theme make up for that.
Teri Bryant
Aug 10, 2007 Teri Bryant added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Bad! No wonder it was in the free bin!
Teresa
Dec 13, 2016 Teresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is an interesting premise but nothing happened. The book entirely consisted of phone calls, hysterics and travel. Only at the very very end did anything actually occur and it doesn't even make too much sense nor was it fleshed out. I am still very confused and unsure as to what was actually going on in this story.
Boris Cesnik
The book lets transpire a glimpse of what could have been if written one or two decades earlier. It barely hits the right notes but then it lets them fly by without making us hear the majestic melody.
Think about the atmosphere, purely 60s-70s occult/satanic story but hardly aptly described.
Avarage or JUST above - too many passages and twists fall flat or feel rushed through. This could have been easily a 700 page book like some of his best novels. Despite all this I cannot say I didn't enjoy it
Adrimember
I found this to be a good book and was pleased with how Ramsey lays out the climax. Somewhat of a contradiction? Not actually, because the story – even if it does leave a few loose ends dangling about – is indeed well written. Mr. Campbell takes us places with his ability to express himself with an easy manner that keeps the reader wondering where we will end up. So yes, I do recommend this book to you with the provision that you be prepared to encounter some unanswered questions. And in the end ...more
Greg
Jun 21, 2013 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading this as it was recommended by someone, but I did not find it very suspenseful or intriguing. There were a few evil things that were vaguely mentioned that sounded interesting, but the author never expanded on them and the ending seemed a bit ridiculous. I won't ruin the ending for you, but I felt that this book could have been narrowed down to a taut 100 page story instead of the 300+. Not very scary or suspenseful so low score from me.
Eija
Kirjan alkupuolisko vaikutti tavanomaiselta trilleriltä. Kirjan puolenvälin tietämissä jännitys alkoi tiivistyä ja paikoin tunnelma oli klaustrofobinen. Kerronta oli välillä vahvasti visuaalista ja kuvailevaa, mutta paikoin toisaalta toteavaa shokeeravissakin kohtauksissa. Suomennoksessa kielikuvat ei oikein käänny järkevästi ja kerronta ehkä siksi tuntui välillä tönköltä. Kirjan lopetus oli huono.
Jim
Sep 22, 2009 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books starts out very strong. I picked it up based on its lovecraftian ties, the ability to build a sense of dread out of atmosphere alone. On that note, the book shines. Unfortunately, the story just meanders a bit too much. For a short book, it almost seems like too many characters are added and not utilized. I assume this started as a very solid short story, became a novella and then stretched itself into a novel.
Cocaine
Campbell ranks alongside all the greats of the horror genre creating skin creeping tales that unnerve whilst also investing intelligence to the story and casting characters that seem real. he manages to hoodwink the reader into deceit of his fiction mounting tension and fear in equal parts.
David Pollison
Feb 02, 2012 David Pollison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not I have read only one other book by Ramsey Campbell. I saw the very good film version a few times several years ago. Now that I've read the book I am going to go back and watch the film again & compare.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Νουβέλα τρόμου, κατά την οποία διάφοροι άνθρωποι περπατάνε μέσα σε εγκαταλελειμένα σπίτια όπου κάτι τους παρακολουθεί, φρικτά βασανιστήρια υπονοούνται (και μόνο, σπλάττερ φάκτορ μηδέν εις το πηλίκο) και φυσικά ήρωες που ασχολούνται με τα βιβλία. Το δε τέλος στο γάιδαρο καβάλα.
J. Nicholl
Oct 31, 2015 J. Nicholl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best novel of Campbell''s that I've read, and the only one that approximates his short fiction in quality. This story asks to be read as a prophecy of Rotherham and associated scandals.
Raul Reyes
Dark, atmopheric but I think Campbell was in a hurry to finish it. As a result, the plot is poorly developed and some of the points remain vaguely explained at the end.
Rachel Mckitterick
First 90 pages I struggled to get through. Then it got really good but about the last 50 pages I was bored again.
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Page count needed 6 15 Apr 24, 2015 10:12AM
  • The Pet
  • The 37th Mandala
  • Phantom
  • The White Hands and Other Weird Tales
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Death Trance
  • Wet Work
  • The Nature of Balance
  • The Black Castle (Don Sebastian Vampire Chronicles #1)
  • Dark Gods
  • The Unsettled Dust
  • The Three Impostors and Other Stories
  • The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig'
  • Supernatural Noir
  • In a Lonely Place
  • Breeder
  • The New Lovecraft Circle
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...