Start by marking “The Human Mind: And How to Make the Most of It” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Human Mind: And Ho...

Robert Winston

The Human Mind: And How to Make the Most of It

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Where does personality come from? Do we all have the potential to be a Tolstoy, an Einstein or a Mozart? Written by a Professor of Fertility Studies, this accessible book takes us inside our own heads to see what really makes us tick.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published 2004 by BBC Audiobooks (Large Print) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Human Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Human Mind

T. Edmund
If you're not familiar with the topics of psychology and/or neurology, than read this book. Winston's summary and discussion of the field is funny, easy(ish) to read and relevant.

If you're like me and read (perhaps too) many books on the topic, how does Winston's piece stack up to other brain heavyweights?

Well he has some strengths: Winston lacks the cold depth many neuro/psychology writers develop. He adds a human touch when discussing ofttimes disturbing psychological findings, without taking
yenni m
very neuro/able-bodied/hetero/cis normative, understandably. more interested in reading about neurology and psychology of minority groups.

oh but it was my first sciencey book and i read it all with ease and i skipped the rubbish. moremoremore!
Si
A really good read, and worth a look if you're at all interested in how you work.
How the brain works, as far as we know, showing its anatomy, understanding concepts such as love and creativity.
He looks at the power of belief with some amazing results.
He shows different measures of intelligence: e.g. fluid intelligence versus crystallised intelligence, the first being our ability to see, interpret and manipulate relations between things, the second being the knowledge we acquire through experienc
Tara
Fascinating exploration of the human mind. Winston, as, always makes science so accessible and easy to understand.
Sebastian Culaja
full of short but useful info
Ellie
I was expecting a little more from this book to be honest. Despite being a scientific person who has a reasonable knowledge of different parts of the brain and their function, I found this book extremely tedious at times and struggled to believe that it would be that accessible to anyone without previous knowledge human biology. There were parts of the book I enjoyed but overall I feel it didn't reach my expectations.
Belinda Munro
As someone who is interested in psychology, I found this book very enjoyable. Having watched his tv series, I find Robert Winston fascinating and I respect him as a scientist. Great book - highly recommended for people wanting to learn all about how their mind works. I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Jean
Readable but technically detailed book on the brain by non-specialist Robert Winston. Also ventures into theories of the mind/brain by neuroscientists. Excellent overview, only deficient in the lack of an index at the back, which is a serious omission in a book of this type.
Elizabeth Moffat
I really enjoyed Robert Winston's BBC TV series, and was lucky enough to see him lecture in Southampton. This book is fascinating, and I felt I learned so much from it. I don't think we will ever know everything there is to know about our amazing brains.
Lauren
This is my first and favourite professor Robert Winston book. Could not recommend it more if you are interested in how the mind works and in psychology. A fascinating and insightful read.
Mim English morgan
Great read; informative and interesting whilst being easy to digest. Particularly of interest to those with a link to psychology - particularly neuropsychology and evolutionary psychology.
Maurice
Another great Robert Winston book.
I love how he captured these intersting science items with humor and with ;-)
Eben Tonder
want to know about all the really cool new stuff we know about the human mind - read this!!!!!
Lindsay
I really enjoyed this. Robert Winston presented the information in a clear and interesting manner.
Lynley
I like this guy's TV documentaries too.
Samuel-Louis Gardiner
Samuel-Louis Gardiner marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jack
Jack is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Kadri Jõgi
Kadri Jõgi marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Srđan Jozić
Srđan Jozić is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Warren Peace
Warren Peace marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Amalgopal
Amalgopal marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past
  • Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • Taken on Trust: An Autobiography
  • Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • Teach Yourself To Meditate
  • Guess What?
  • I'm Not Reading!
The Right Honourable Professor The Lord Robert Maurice Lipson Winston
More about Robert Winston...
Human Instinct: How Our Primeval Impulses Shape Our Modern Lives Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution) Human Body The Story of God Bad Ideas?: An Arresting History of Our Inventions