Start by marking “Goldene Flammen (Grischa, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goldene Flammen (Grischa, #1)

Goldene Flammen (The Grisha #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  78,905 ratings  ·  10,077 reviews
Alina ist einfache Kartografin in der Ersten Armee des Zaren. Dass sie heimlich in Maljen verliebt ist, ihren besten Freund seit Kindertagen, darf niemand wissen. Schon gar nicht Maljen selbst, der erfolgreiche Fährtenleser und Frauenschwarm.

Bei einem Überfall rettet Alina Maljen auf unbegreifliche Weise das Leben. Doch was sie da genau getan hat, kann sie selbst nicht sag
Published August 28th 2012 by Carlsen Verlag (first published June 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Goldene Flammen, please sign up.

Timothy I picked up the first in the series, "Shadow and Bone" and started reading it the other night as a break from other books I am currently reading. I…moreI picked up the first in the series, "Shadow and Bone" and started reading it the other night as a break from other books I am currently reading. I read 80 pages before I knew it. It is very good. Different than the typical out there right now. The only thing that I can really compare it to in feel is Graceling by Kristin Cashore.
I am thoroughly impressed so far. (less)
Anna The 1st book in the series isn't really dark, but books 2 and 3 are. At the begining of Shadow and Bone Alina (main heroine) is very insecure and she…moreThe 1st book in the series isn't really dark, but books 2 and 3 are. At the begining of Shadow and Bone Alina (main heroine) is very insecure and she has some "does-he-have-any-feelings-for-me" moments, but she goes through an AMAZING character development later, especially in book 2 & beginning of book 3. Also in later books there are more dark themes, like hunger for power & losing yourself in that hunger, and more brutality than in Shadow and Bone. So, it depends whether you are a patient reader and are willing to wait for darker themes - then I would recomend you to read the series - or you expect something that is dark from the very beginning - then Shadow and Bone might not be the right book for you... All I can add is that I enjoyed the series very much, especially book 2, Siege and Storm.(less)

Nataliya
Dec 04, 2013 Nataliya rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nataliya by: the word 'Grisha'
The biggest issue with this book is actually NOT the utter fail at correctly incorporating the Russian elements into the story.

It's that I'd never be able to pick this book out of a generic YA book lineup.

It's like a ninja, perfectly blending into its surroundings, into that painfully generic landscape that plagues YA literature recently, the lackluster background against which few gems truly stand out. And gem this one is not.

I think at this point there is a formula that many YA writers view as
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5)
I really enjoyed this and I'm definitely going to be continuing on with this trilogy, but I did have a few issues with it. While I was fascinated by the world, but at the same time, I didn't feel like the world was fleshed out enough. We don't really get much world building, you're just kind of thrown into the world, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for me there were things that I needed to be explained more for me to be able to fully visualize the setting. I also just wasn't a hug
Steph Sinclair

Check out the interview with Leigh Bardugo where she saves Kat Kennedy and I from Ninjas. True story. Also, there's a giveaway of a finished copy of Shadow and Bone!

If I could wrap up my emotions about how I felt after reading Shadow and Bone and send them to you through my computer screen, I totally would. Instead, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for my words: THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING! I wish I could unread it just so I can go back and re-read it again for the first time.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Yes, I loved it that much
Kat Kennedy
Damn you, Leigh Barduga. Damn you for tricking me.

Leigh Barduga is like some kind of literary crouching tiger, hidden dragon or something.

You would be forgiven, upon commencing this novel, for thinking Shadow and Bone is redundant, cliched piece of tripe book with poor story-telling, average writing and a predictable plot. People who haven't read countless Young Adult novels probably wouldn't notice the trends, but I did. This is what I thought and Leigh led me down the primrose path until... BO
Tatiana
Apr 09, 2012 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Divergent and Grave Mercy
Recommended to Tatiana by: 5 star reviews
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, ya, ala-ya-2013
As seen on The Readventurer

It is alright, if you are into fantasy lite. I, on the other hand, am a little weary of this lightish, breezy and superficial entertainment. Give me something juicier, something more thoughtful, something more sophisticated.

Shadow and Bone is a decent book. Bardugo's writing style is easy and engaging. The plot is developed enough to masquerade the fact that the biggest chunk of it is the usual boarding school fare with makeovers, mean girl drama, petty rivalr
Lola
I loved it from page one. One incredible journey.

description

I’m going to tell you guys something: My first ever read in English was Throne of Glass and that was last September. I thought, with my knowledge of the English language (at that time) that picking a 400 page book up as a first read in English was going to work out well for me. ‘‘Piece of cake,’’ was what I told myself.

Well, not exactly…

I struggled with that book because of how the writing was, in my opinion, complex and all those new terms that I
Veronica Roth
Loved it. More later!
"That's All" Ash
 photo 1caffddcbcf2b4bb8b4a9d9bf5164c82.jpg

HA! Just kidding.

photo AHAHAHA.gif

This isn't your fifth-grade English paper, darling.

You don’t get points for trying.

photo tumblr_md5jwzeHxI1r53dllo1_400_zps37fb1c50-1.gif

See, to me, YA is like the BIG LEAGUES when it comes to book genres.

In YA… you have to be able to tell a story. And you have to do it really well. Because in this genre, you can’t rely on those really steamy sex scenes or hot business moguls with BDSM skeletons in their closet to carry your series. And you can’t use an infinite amount of those really pretty curse words to get your point acros
Sarah Maas
Apr 13, 2011 Sarah Maas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
I don't think words can properly describe how much I adored SHADOW & BONE. The characters, the world-building...it completely blew me away. There were moments when I was so stunned by the beauty and the brilliance that I had to stop reading. I never wanted this book to end.

This is the best YA fantasy novel I've read since SABRIEL or THE GOLDEN COMPASS.
Steph Su
People have been throwing 4 and 5 stars at this book left and right, and I wonder what I missed. I was prepared to give this book 2 stars, maybe even 3 if I was feeling generous on the day I wrote the review, but as I pushed myself through the first half of this book, I encountered increasingly more things that irritated me, until the one that pushed me over the edge and convinced me that I’d be okay with not ever finishing SHADOW AND BONE.

It started out strong: atmospheric and engrossing. Past
Rick Riordan
So many YA fantasy romances out there these days. You would think it would be hard to put a fresh spin on the concept, but Leigh Bardugo makes it look easy. Her debut Shadow and Bone takes Russian folklore and mythology and creates an alternate tsarist Russia (Ravka) where magic and military might coexist uneasily. Imagine a cross between Cashore's Graceling and Westerfeld's Leviathan . . . and yet Shadow and Bone is unique.

Our main characters, Alina and Mal, grow up as orphans at the estate of
Sarah (saz101)
Feb 26, 2013 Sarah (saz101) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah (saz101) by: Everyone, ever.
Because words won't do, THIS is my review of Shadow and Bone:

Shadow and Bone drove me to drink O__O

Hmph, and what has Ms Bardugo to say?

LOL. (Your tears only make me stronger.) RT @sazbah: My review of @lbardugo's Shadow and Bone #WhenWordsWontDo twitter.com/sazbah/status/…

— Leigh Bardugo (@LBardugo) February 19, 2013

Emily May

Please note: this is not really a review. In fact, this may be my most useless non-review to date (there have been a few) and is actually better described as a random mish-mash of my thoughts and feelings on this book. "Aren't all your reviews like that, Emily?" I hear you cry, but alas, the random incoherentness is somewhat even more pronounced in this one.

You know, I've wondered ever since Shadow and Bone was released last year whether I would fall into the camp of gushing, never-ending love
Demo
O. Mah. Gah.

Leigh Bardugo, you fucking liar. You're no human. You're a Grisha with the talent to write like a fucking goddess.

It was 4th of July when I really started reading this. I mean, I'd read like 30 pages the days before, and I'd liked it, but it wasn't until Independence Day that I was hooked. I went to this party at my cousin's house with an in-ground pool, sweets, horror movies, Sparklers, and even a fucking pinata. You know what I did at that party?

I did not swim.

I did not stuff mysel
Kat Stark

Buddyread with Adrianna (Click to read her review)

Liked this one, many reviews so :) Coffee review time over here...because I like to mix my loves

So I’ve always been obsessed with coffee. My mom (being the horrible mother that she is--jk, I love my mom!) gave me my first sip of coffee at like age 8 or something. I didn't start drinking regularly until late high school, but I loved it at first taste.

Naturally, I have always wanted to go to a coffee store and try out EVERY SINGLE FUCKING FLAVOR. H
Zemira Warner
*does the Carlton dance*

So,my persistence has finally paid off and I won this freaking book after so many tweets and posts and likes.

*continues to Carlton dance*

Hey people!

What to say about this book and not sound like a raging fangirl? Well, this will be one of those gif reviews for sure.
When I got it I was all like
wow what a pretty map.
Then I did
for hours.
We meet Darkling and he is mighty fine I have to say.
Photobucket
I am scared to continue so I
Something happens and I am
How did I not s
karen
WHY DON'T I SEE WHAT YOU SEE???

okay, so let me just dash out this review quick and dirty-like, before i get too far away from my memory of this book, and because the plan is to start the second part of this tonight and i don't want to get all muddled in my limited brain-space.

an unexpected three stars for this book. i mean, i had been hearing about this book here on gr since before it came out. great reviews like kat's and jo's and steph's, and giselle's, all of which put this book on my radar
Komal Mikaelson
Initial Reaction after Completion

I was wavering between 4.5 and 5, but what the hell.
5 enormous, scintillating stars it is.

This book.

Wow.

Wow.

It was brilliant, amazing, and hype-worthy.
One of the few books I've read that live up to its hype and smashes my expectations with its inherent goodness.

I don't even know what to say. It was ASDFGHJKLPOIUYTREWQ!
Okay, calm down.
*deep breaths*

Lets get this over with.

The Story/ The Setting
Awesome.
You know, how we come across fantasy works with all this
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
UPDATE - 04/25/15: Kindle Daily, on sale TODAY ONLY for $2.99 each:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

A few years ago, YA Fantasy was suddenly swamped with brand new series from brand new authors. REALLY good brand new series from brand new authors. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo was the second of that batch that I read, and I hadn’t really wanted to. The cover was weirdly creepy and looked to be inspired by Mother Russia. The only Russian anything I had ever read was Anna Karenina, and let me tell
Celine Elk
Apr 01, 2015 Celine Elk rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes good books.
Recommended to Celine by: Pffft, I don't remember that... But thank God that they did!
This book... Guys. This. Book. It was truly amazing, and it was really one of the best books I have read all year, if not the very best.
The characters were spectacular! I really liked the maincharacter (and I'm normally not too fond of the maincharacter of a book). And her friend Genya. And Mal. And The Darkling.
The Darkling. My favorite character. He was probably one of the most interesting characters I have ever read about. He was fantastic in every way. I just love how he doesn't really have
Hershey
"You and I are going to change the world."

What can I say about this book? There’s so much to say and so much to love about this book. Bardugo's novel Shadow and Bone struck a chord in my heart from the very beginning. I loved the prologue. I find the concept of kids falling in love and comforting each other in desolate times adorable.

This book is a phenomenal piece of work. A rarity as I have never come across such a different and captivating story line in a long time.

I wish I could forg
Giselle
While fantasy can be a hit or miss for me, I'm glad that I'm able to add another one to my hit pile. When I started Shadow and Bone I was a bit intimidated by the strange new world; by the bizarre terms such as Corporalki and Keramzin, or the ones I can't even pronounce (ie Otkazat’sya); and also by all this talk of the Shadow Fold that was obviously important but I didn't completely understand. However, as the world building is more showing rather than telling, the more I read, the more I was a ...more
K.
Well, if this isn't the review that wouldn't write itself.

The correct term for my current condition is Tskdn;ieajnrja. It is a state in which the mind of a reader of young adult fiction is awesomely blown. I've lost all sense of decorum. You see, all I want to do is fangirl. That's it. All the time. I come near the book and its a reaction -- I just squeal and squeeze my hands to my heart and bat my lashes and swing side to side, breathe in air, breathe out wishful thoughts. Or this.

description

It's a sympto
Catie
2 1/2 stars

If I had read this five or ten years ago, I would have probably liked it quite a bit more. Unfortunately, in the past ten years I have read a lot of young adult fantasy novels. And in that time, I’ve noticed certain recurring themes:

1) Plain Jane heroine, disadvantaged in some way (poverty, lower caste, younger sibling, etc).
2) Finds out that she has the most super-special power of them all.
3) Makeover facilitated by the fashionable friend.
4) Bitchy, super-attractive rival.
5) Endless
Bern
Sometimes in life, you're going to read one of those books that are just so good, so wonderful and so utterly gahworthy that words escape you and you can't ascribe it any quality besides

It's like being plagued with a heavy, thunderous storm for ages and then have the skies split open in half and Angels descend from them as the rain slows to a drizzle and lo!, it's party time at the pearly gates and God's heavenly favorites have come to escort you to your VIP lounge! A glorious banquet has been l
Mizuki
Warning: F-words here and there and a lot of ranting, don't like don't read

Rating: It's a "not the worst book I have ever read but it's not that far/not lives up to the hype/author did very poor research" 2 stars.

In order to save you some precious time, I will tell you my reaction to this book (especially the ending part) now:

(Link: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/dir-en-gr...)

My thoughts before finished reading...

I read up to page. 108 of Shadow and Bone, but already I'm feeling so pissed off that
Aly∞

There are not enough words in the English language to describe how I feel about the Darkling.

Don't judge me. I've always had a soft spot for villains. The Joker stole my heart and never gave it back. Ever since then, I've been shipping villains with heroines. It's like a drug.

And if there's one thing I gathered from Tahereh Magi's Shatter Me trilogy is that the "villain" should never be under or overestimated. Even there, I adored Warner, and was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

So, yes, I am
Jo
So I have this tendency to make up a phrase or a word and use it so often and determinedly that I actually forget that it’s not a real thing. I am often reminded that I am a ridiculous human being have this tendency when I mention said phrase/word to other people and they look at me for a moment before backing away slowly.
Today, ladies and gentlemen, you are about to witness the creation of one of these phrases.
Bonnet Eaters.
OK, I should probably explain this one.
I stay way clear of certain book
Jude
Shadow and bone has to be one of the most fascinating worlds I have ever read about and also one of the most complicated - I was trying to explain the book to a friend and I don’t think I had ever felt more stupid. I mean, go on and try to say Kvas, Grisha, Balakirev, Etherealki, Odinakovost, Etovost, Corporalki, Materialki. . . And then the character names: Baghra, Botkin, Fedyor, Malyen Orestev.
I looked like this every time I tried to say any of those words out loud:

photo epic-fail-photos-steve-carell-bruce-almighty_zps3cc77748.gif

Thankfully the names of th
April
I have mixed feelings about this one. I feel like nothing happened, but I also feel like so much happened way too quickly. That doesn't make any sense haha. It was good, but it wasn't amazing.
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
  • The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1)
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
Leigh Bardugo is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Grisha Trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising).

She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University, and has worked in advertising, journalism, and most recently, makeup and special effects. These days, she’s lives and writes in Hollywood where she can occasionally
More about Leigh Bardugo...

The Grisha (3 books)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5) The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5) The Too-Clever Fox (The Grisha, #2.5)

“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.” 934 likes
“The problem with wanting," he whispered, his mouth trailing along my jaw until it hovered over my lips, "is that it makes us weak.” 562 likes