Start by marking “Geek Tragedy (The Mervyn Stone Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Geek Tragedy (The Mervyn Stone Mysteries #1)

Geek Tragedy (The Mervyn Stone Mysteries #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Mervyn Stone does not look like a special man. His nose is too big, his hair is always on the point of open rebellion, and he appears to have put his clothes on in the dark. He looks like a hedge which has been dragged through a man backwards. However, he is special in one very important respect. Mervyn was script editor of the BBC television series Vixens from the Void, a ...more
Published April 25th 2012 by Untreed Reads (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Tragedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Tragedy

Doug
Having heard the podcasts that built up to the book, and knowing a little of concepts that went into it--old British SF TV series, geek culture, murder mysteries, a main character that is both part of and slightly hating on the culture that props him up as an ex-script editor--it caught my eye and I've waited for it to be released. I received it the mail today, along with its two sequels, and yes, finished it pretty much in one go (technically two goes, since I hung out with my wife in the middl ...more
Wendy
I had really high hopes for this book, because Nev Fountain has written one of the most brilliantly funny things I've ever heard (the Big Finish audio, The Kingmaker). When I saw it on a dealer's table at the recent Gallifrey One convention, I snapped it up and started reading it immediately, hoping that it would be brilliant enough that I'd feel compelled to go straight back and buy the two sequels.

With such high hopes, it might have been inevitable that I'd be a bit disappointed. Geek Tragedy
Jolyon Tuck
Short punchy chapters can keep momentum by allowing a lot of good cliffhanger revelations, but it also makes the book easy to read in small bursts, which meant this took longer to read than I had anticipated. The basic premise of setting a murder mystery at a science fiction convention is tremendous fun and gives a little insight into the relationship between convention guest and attendee which can be amusingly moving despite the tone trying to keep everything light. Good twists, splendid charac ...more
Ian
Nov 12, 2012 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ian by: Nev Fountain
Funny stuff, and more revelatory about Fan Conventions than you could imagine. While no one real person is specifically spoofed in the story, it's possible to recognize everyone and oneself during the action. That said, no one is laughed at, as its take on the situation is far more celebratory than one of a mocking tone. Very humorous, full of surprises, and a fair smattering of smut. Imagine "Carry On…" crossed with every episode of "Doctor Who" and the nit-picking of SF fans. Worth your time.
Jenn
I laughed so hard in places, I cried. This is one serious piece of satire! All the way through reading this I was reminded of the movie Galaxy Quest. Another wonderful piece of satire. Mervyn Stone has been away from the conference circuit for 7 years. He never starred in any of the episodes of Vixens From The Void, he was the editor of the scripts. A show from the 80s, it sounded like the budget and special effects were Hilton none. But murders galore at the convention and Mervyn feels compelle ...more
Darek Pilař
Aug 28, 2013 Darek Pilař rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks
Moc často se nestává, že bych recenzoval nějakou knihu (ne kvůli tomu, že bych moc nečetl, ale spíš když čtu, tak to jsou dost jednotvárný věci nebo věci, ke kterým se většina lidí snadno dostane), ale u téhle udělám výjimku.

Před nějakým časem měli na stránkách Big Finish velké slevy a mezi nimi byly i kolekce celého Mervyna Stona (3 knihy) za velice slušnou cenu. Popis mi zněl zajímavě a tak jsem si to koupil.
Předevčírem jsem tedy ze zajímavosti popadnul první knihu ze série nazvanou „Geek Tra
Lin
In the 80s, Mervyn Stone was a script editor for a TV series called Vixens from the Void. Many years later, this program is still spawning sci-fi conventions, and Mervyn attends one of these. But when the organiser is found dead, supposedly suicide, things don't quite add up,and Mervyn ends up using all his skills as a script editor to spot the plotholes and loopholes and eventually figure out who-dunnit.
I really enjoyed the setting of this book - I've attended a sci-fi convention or two in my t
Andrew
Bought this ages ago, to be honest it's a genre that doesn't usually appeal. However setting it in a world that I find of understand made it tremendously accesible, and I enjoyed trying to work out who did what, and what "clues" were red herrings. Of course I didn't work it out until the author revealed it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Roll on volume two...
D.S. Nelson
Sci-Fi is a murderous business in, Nev Fountain's kooky tale of death at a sci-fi convention and Mervyn Stone's investigation.

Full of character and amusing observations of the human condition, Nev Fountain entertains the reader and keeps them guessing until the end.
Eugene
Jun 04, 2011 Eugene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scifi fans
not high literature but a fun read. Good murder mystery with some nice twists in it. Somewhat of a fantasy element though if he really thinks a writer is going to get that much sex at a con
Peter Auber
Thrown With Great Force
Thrown With Great Force marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Lychee
Lychee marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
LeslieFH
LeslieFH marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Dolizoss
Dolizoss marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nev Fountain, born Steven John Fountain, is an English writer, best known for his comedy work with writing partner Tom Jamieson on the radio and television programme 'Dead Ringers'.

He is currently writing for Dead Ringers, Newzoids and the satirical magazine 'Private Eye'.

He has written three humorous murder-mystery novels, collectively called 'The Mervyn Stone Mysteries', and a serious thriller c
More about Nev Fountain...

The Mervyn Stone Mysteries (4 books)
  • DVD Extras Include: Murder (The Mervyn Stone Mysteries, #2)
  • Cursed Among Sequels (The Mervyn Stone Mysteries, #3)
  • The Axeman Cometh
Doctor Who: Omega (Big Finish Audio Drama, #47) Doctor Who: The Kingmaker (Big Finish Audio Drama, #81) Doctor Who: Trouble in Paradise (Destiny of the Doctor, #6) Doctor Who: Peri and the Piscon Paradox (The Companion Chronicles, #5.07) Cursed Among Sequels (The Mervyn Stone Mysteries, #3)

“The more attractive and athletic the character depicted on the T-shirt, the less attractive and athletic the fan wearing it” 4 likes
“She laughed and unfastened her bra, unleashing her breasts like attack dogs” 3 likes