Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On Christmas Eve 1895, shots rang out in a St. Louis barroom. A hundred years and a thousand songs later, this ordinary little murder had become a legend. This is the true story of what happened after Stagger Lee shot Billy.
Published June 13th 2006 by Image Comics (first published May 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stagger Lee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stagger Lee

Melki
Man, this was a disappointment.

The authors took the great legend of Stagger Lee and buried it under a dull pile of lawyers, politics and unrelated subplots. This was honestly a chore to read, and I was so, so tempted to just yank my bookmark and plop this mess in the library donation bin.

Who really cares WHY Stagger Lee shot Billy? It only matters that HE DID.

The choice of sepia tones to illustrate the story was a mistake. I guess it was supposed to add an air of historical importance to the ev...more
Anita
Damn, this was a lucky find. I was checking out another book at the library, and saw this sitting on a re-shelving cart - I snagged it at the last moment, not going off of anything but the cover & the title. It turned out the be engrossing & entertaining, as well as educational - the three Es! Plus, the author lives in Oakland. Wowzers. Five stars for totally knocking my socks off.
Elizabeth
I was not even interested in Stagger Lee before I picked up this comic, but it is so well written I read it all without realising it. It is so easy to read, a well-paced story with interesting and sympathetic characters, it was impossible to put down.

The book itself is a commendable piece of work. The shitload of research that must have went into making this is immense. It tries to shed light, not only the man himself, the truth about whom has sunk into obscurity as his legend rose to fame, but...more
Kerry
Wow, this wasn't at all what I expected from this. I love the Stagger Lee song as much as anybody else (with the Nick Cave version being the absolute pinnacle) but didn't quite realize the complexity of its journey through the ages. This graphic novel is a reasonably serious academic survey through its history and its sociology (details about slight lyrical differences between black and white artists versions). And it is an attempt to untangle the "when legend becomes truth, print the legend" ma...more
Todd Nemet
Here's a good Christmas story: On Christmas Eve, 1895 in St. Louis, Missouri, "Stag" Lee Shelton shot and killed Billy Lyons during an argument at a bar. A four-dollar Stetson hat may or may not have been involved.

This incredibly good graphic novel starts with the killing and then follows the Stagger Lee or Stack O Lee or Stagolee legend as it grows, splinters, and transforms into various songs. I was most familiar with the versions by Mississippi John Hurt and Nick Cave, though a quick search o...more
Thurston Hunger
I reckon (and this is a graphic novel that beckons to be reckon'd with) that we all end up choosing the version of history that we want. Well, perhaps in some of the larger cases, that version is chosen for us by people who we might consider less than choice. But the dead, they lack a voice even if they are captured in song.

I was not as familiar with the many renditions of "Stagger Lee" as are enumerated in the appendix, but did listen several more times to the Nick Cave spleen-spitter a few tim...more
Mike
Being a St. Louis native / resident, any story that covers history in St. Louis gets my attention. When that story becomes a legendary folk tune, it's got my attention even more.

Derek McCullough and Shepherd Hendrix have created an illustrated novel that not only is captivating for its illustration, but for its ability to cover the myriad changes to the Stagger Lee story that have occured through the years, as many urban legend stories do.

If that wasn't enough, there's a great CD with the book...more
Ricki
I picked this up shortly after seeing a reading of the first half of the musical which is currently in development. A few things really drew me into the story. The first was the basis - a song based on a real murder that eventually took on a life of its own. The other thing that really hooked me was the historical aspect. While some of the characters are fictional, others are real, and it was the politics they were involved in that kept me intrigued.
Pan
I wasn't sure i was going to enjoy this, but I was pleasantly surprised! Aside from the simple speculation, the authors actually draw from essays that explore the history of the song as well as the (possible) actual event. The result is a thoroughly enjoyable and thought-provoking piece of historical fiction.

3.5-4 stars. Can be read quickly or savored thoughtfully. A must read for any fan of the classic song(s).
Emily Sours
interesting story behind the legend of stagger lee--a legend intensely larger than the actual person. oddly, lee was around to hear songs about himself as a legend. great story line, awesome production, left me wanting to read more about stagger lee's legend.
Michael
This places the killing of Billy Lyons by Lee Stanton in historical context, while also adding new dimensions with a fictional narrative. This is a good example of how comics can demonstrate a layer of storytelling that is not available with novels.
Phil Overeem
A great and apparently deathless Missouri story that's bound to keep living on in popular song. Fans of graphic lit, popular song, mythology, political chicanery, state history, and American archetypes will ALL enjoy this one.
Jon
This is a very enjoyable graphic novel that brings the history/legend/folk tale of one Stagger Lee to life. I loved how it incorporated the lyrics to various sung versions of the tale into the thrilling story.
Bryan Mccann
Really marvelous combination of visual artistry, storytelling, and rigorous archival work. It's been years since I've read a graphic novel and nearly finished this in one night.
Dan
Great book that talks about the historical origins of a myth. Added bonus, it takes place right here in St. Louis. A mix of history, historical fiction, and folklore.
Matt
excellent graphic novel mix of music history, era politics, random fictionalizing, and realistic yarning.
Paul
A compelling mix of history and folklore brings the legend of Stagger Lee alive in graphic novel form.
Jimi
Great legend, great book and also cool because I used to work with the artist.
Rachael
My first experience with a graphic novel has left me with a taste for more.
Peacegal
An unusual tale of the well-known historical tune.
Vaile Adams-Fujikawa
Meh. Having a hard time finishing. Kind of dull, frankly.
Steph
Oct 22, 2012 Steph marked it as to-read
Shelves: graphic-novels
Derek from Edmonton.
Laura added it
Sep 14, 2014
Dylan Whitely
Dylan Whitely marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Aaron Ingram
Aaron Ingram marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
A. Kuhlii
A. Kuhlii marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014