Shadows of Kings (Dragon Rising #1)

Shadows of Kings (Dragon Rising #1)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Steel and sorcery clash as the Harhn incursion sweeps through the Hugue. Mankind faces its greatest peril without the Order Knights of legend to defend them. Crusading deep in the frontier, the Order is unaware of the savage beasts threatening their homeland as the Hugue realms muster their armies for war. Between a cunning Harhn sorcerer, and an alliance forged with the d...more
Published June 15th 2012 by Twilight Times Books (first published June 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Kings

Ronda  Tutt
Creative & VisuallyGraphic - Adult Fantasy at its best!

Wow, what an exciting memorable read, my mind'sendorphin'sare still receiving electrical aftershocks of visionary snapshots from this amazing read. This fist installment is definitely Adult Fantasy at its best. The world building is creatively written with sorcerers / necromancer, Dragon maidens / viscountess (sorceress),the witches, the dark-elf's, Knights, and lowborn peasants surviving in amedievalworld whim of political stature and e...more
Beverly McClure
Do you enjoy knights with flashing swords and fair maidens with a touch of sorcery? Are stories containing battle scenes aided by magic your favorite reads? If you answered yes to the above, you’ll want to read Jack Whitsel’s debut novel, SHADOWS OF KINGS, where he gives you both and much more, such as good guys and bad guys and surprises, as well.

Written from different point of view characters. SHADOWS OF KINGS takes the reader on a journey right along with the knights and lowborns as they figh...more
Bob Milne
A welcome throwback to the days of high fantasy - complete with idealized medieval communities, kings and queens, monstrous races, dragons, and magic - Shadows of Kings is a rousing adventure that makes the most of its brevity. Coming in at just under 250 pages, Jack Whitsel's tale engages the reader early on and then manages to sustain the interest (not to mention the pace), until the very end.

This is a mature tale, one which doesn't shy away from its more adult elements. The violence is graphi...more
Melanie Adkins
Lucia is sixteen years old and about to become a Viscountess. In the space of a few hours she will lose both of her parents and be helping to protect the knights who fight for the kingdom. Lucia is about to be tested in many ways. She will learn things she never knew along the way and they will help to strengthen her. Lucia will also question the Dragon Order and the very way in which they are supposed to protect the helpless. Many kings and knights will lose their lives to the Harhn and the dar...more
Jo
This is a great fantasy book and especially enjoyable for people like me who only dabble in fantasy. It has the creative elements of a Tolkien world with the more human, gritty and medieval elements of a George R.R. Martin book. You'd never think this is the author's first novel. The writing is refreshingly fluid, the character development is fantastic and the storyline picks up speed at a perfect rate. It ends just as you're completely engaged and leaves you anxious for the next installment!
jD
Talk about a rush!!!! Whew. Jack Whitsel's tale of kingdoms in peril, damsels in distress, and warfare had me nearly hyperventilating. The story moves at breakneck speed from the first chapter. In many ways it reminded me of Games of Thrones in that any character could be taken out with extreme prejudice at any turn. I was fully engaged from the first paragraph.

The Hugue is the realm where the humans have built a vast network of kingdoms. They have forgotten their long defeated enemies, the Har...more
Mimi
Wow! Read this book upon the suggestion of a friend, because this is normally not my reading genre. Slower at first, but this is true of most good reads , and then Whitsel hooked me. I’m such a romanticist and the need for struggle to be gripping. I get the heroism of men in battle balanced by the mystique and sorcery of female protagonists and antagonists. It all comes together and makes me want to read more. I can’t wait for the next book to come out.
Steve
Full review to follow - privileged to read Jack Whitsel's debut fantasy novel "Shadows of Kings" has been an opportunity to share a well woven fantasy world with rapidly developed characters, nations, races and sub-plots.

Read from a pre-print eBook courtesy review copy, the novel brings Jack's expected series to life with a roar.

Full review upon a quick reread.
Ken
May 30, 2012 Ken rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Shadows of Kings is the debut novel from author Jack Whitsel, a traditional fantasy story about the struggles of war and a promising start to the series. Thanks Twilight Times Books for providing me a copy of the book.

The story is mostly told from the viewpoints of Lucia and Baudouin. Lucia starts off as a young and naive Dragon Maiden in service to the Order and by the end of the book we see Lucia growing up and adapting to her new found powers. Lord Baudouin is a chivalrous knight with the dut...more
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
The Harhn, somewhat orc-like beasts that plague the human villages, are suddenly attacking with more strategy than usual, and posing a real threat. Led by a powerful sorceror, and allied with dark elves, the Horde marches through the Hugue, laying waste to settlements. Lucia, a Viscountess and Dragon Maiden, begins to question the motives of the Dragon Order to which she has devoted her life, as she, a warrior named Lord Beaudoin, and a brave lowborn named Gui do everything in their power to pro...more
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

It's been awhile since I settled in for a good high fantasy novel, and this was definitely a good one.

Shadows of Kings is a fabulously written first installment to the DRAGON RISING series with engaging characters, non-stop action, and heart.

The world created by Jack is solidly built and commands attention - the best and worst of medieval times brought to life on the page.

Shadows of Kings gives us dragons, elves, sorcerers and so...more
Mayra
Two centuries ago, the Temple Initiates made up the Order of the Dragon, named after the Great Dragon Shyrdasa that once lived within Dragon Park. Legend told that a group of knights once helped the Dragon and her unborn young. As a reward for their valor, the Dragon awarded them secret knowledge, martial powers and magic. The Dragon also chose women throughout the Hugue to serve as Dragon Maidens, bestowing upon them secrets of draconic sorcery…

Now, for the people of the Hugue, the fall season...more
Yasmeen (Yaz)
The Hugue are under attack by the unpredictable Harhn horde who have ventured for the first time in 50 years from their home in Vol Thaldane in great numbers and are decimating everything in their path. The Darkfey in this book are nothing like the ones in fairy tales, brutal and vicious they take great pleasure in torture and killing.

The brave knights of the Hugue fight valiantly despite the odds against a innumerable enemy, death seems to be a hairs breath away and betrayal and secret agendas...more
WiLoveBooks
This is an exciting fantasy story filled with fighting, magic, elves, dragons, and other creatures. The story grabs you from page one and just keeps pulling you right along. There are a lot of characters and multiple points of view so you get to see the war from all sides. I thought the characters were well-written because I sympathized with some and hated others.
With the bloody battles and other realities of war, this book won't be for all readers, though fantasy lovers will enjoy it. This is a...more
William
Whitsel has produced a fantastic debut novel with characters you'll fall in love with and others you'll hate with a passion. "Shadows of Kings" has grit Martin would be proud of and magic equal to Sanderson. Once you start it you won't put it down till it's finished. It's this decades fantasy series to beat hands down. I can't wait till the second book comes out!
Eva
My complete review can be found on my blog along with an interview with the author.
Darby Karchut
A fun first novel with some terrific world building. Bravo, Jack Whitsel!
Angelakharrison
Angelakharrison marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Trispiral
Trispiral marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Michael Fierce
Michael Fierce marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Jesslyn
Jesslyn marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Ctanner
Ctanner marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2012
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2012
Jack is a native Californian, but has made Oregon his home since 1982. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree of Finance from Portland State University, but studies medieval history in his spare time. His favorite genres are fantasy and historical fiction with a medieval emphasis. Shadows of Kings, the first novel of the Dragon Rising Series is the love child born of these two passions.

“I love the elements...more
More about Jack Whitsel...
Shades of Virtue