Start by marking “The Witch's Stone” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Stone

The Witch's Stone

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A devastating tragedy cost history professor Hillary Bennett her job and her marriage. Desperate to rebuild her life, she travels to the quaint Scottish village of Culcraig to research a legend and salvage her career. But when she arrives, she finds her hostess dead and her hopes for the future pinned to the woman's black sheep heir—Caid Douglas.

The last thing Caid needs i
Published April 24th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Stone

Ashley
From the beginning, this book grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. From the setting, in Scotland, to the characters themselves, to the atmosphere, Ms. Brown does an absolute stellar job in creating the scene for her tale. From the title, I was expecting something more paranormal in nature, but then I was pleasantly surprised to see the reality of the situation come out. The main character, a previously broken woman, at war with the demons within herself, keeps the story driving in a direction wher ...more
Kelly
I absolutely loved this book, which was a pleasant surprise. I download this book during it's free day on Amazon, along with a few others. I started reading a different one and just could not keep with it and so I turned to this book, hoping for something more. It did not disappoint! The only reason that I did not give it 5 stars is because there were a tiny few errors, not enough to distract from the sotry, but enough to say that it wasn't exactly perfection, only extremely close.

I thought the
Ambre
I enjoyed this book!

Although not clear from the synopsis, this is a romantic mystery, not a PNR. It is set in Scotland, which always gets some people going. Unfortunately, the accents seemed to come and go.

The mystery was very good- I am not a huge mystery buff, but I enjoyed it. The book was definitely a page turner!

The romance... well, I always wonder about the tendency of romance authors to create these love/hate relationships. In this case, the two were really mean to each other at the begin
Rebecca
Very good murder/mystery/romance. Setting was interesting (Scotland) and the story intriguing. Many interesting characters. Several twists and turns with the mystery ... had it nailed pretty early but the author nearly convinced me a couple of times that I might be wrong - but I know I should always go with my gut/deductions.

If "witches" and the paranormal are typically not your thing, don't let that detour you from this book ... it's more of an historical look at the perception of women though
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Set in Scotland, The Witch’s Stone is a mixture of romance and suspense. Canadian, Hillary, is researching and writing about a mystery that happened almost a hundred years ago involving the locals and a witch hunt.

She meets Caid, who doesn’t impress her one bit, but who has just inherited the manor house where journals vital to Hillary’s research are hidden.

Enjoyable story though the Scottish dialect seemed a bit off at times.
Deidre Dalton
Good quick read from the free Amazon download. I pegged the killer early on, but still enjoyed the unfolding story. I'd like to read more by this author in the future. She has an uncomplicated writing style I find refreshing, yet she's obviously done her homework. I'd recommend "The Witch's Stone" to anyone who likes the romantic suspense genre, along with the ambience of Scotland.
Gina

A little history, a lot of mystery and plenty of heat between the protagonists made this story a riveting page-turner! Caid and Hillary are multi-dimensional, empathetic, and riddled with flaws. The mystery, which revolves around the hanging of an accused witch at the beginning of the 20th century, is intriguing. A definite must-read!
Heather
From the moment I started reading this book I was captivated with the story. There was just enough going on in it to keep me always wanting more and when I reached the last page I was sad it had all come to an end. The story and characters had the right amount of depth and it was truly an awesome page turner. Loved it!
Joni
Murder, mystery, romance; a delightful light read. A Canadian history professor suffering from a personal tragedy, failed marriage and a loss of her job, travels to Scotland where she hopes to write a book regarding a woman hung as a witch in 1915. The history professor meets a Scottish fiction writer and things take off....
Marin
Picked up this book for free on Kindle awhile ago, and started reading it this morning. I didn't put it down until I finished it. Gripping story, fascinating characters, literally spine-chilling suspense, great sex. Glad to have discovered Dawn Brown, and will definitely read more of her books.
Lindsay
Nov 30, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 11/30/2012
Karen Smith
Fantastic

Brown skillfully combines romance, mystery, and suspense in this book. It's a nice change of pace to get a hero who's not the biggest bada$$ on the block or obscenely wealthy and a heroine who's educated and intelligent.
Liz
I love stumbling across books that I can't put down. I had my suspicion about the 'bad guy', but it was easy to put my guess aside and just enjoy the ride. The author brewed up a great chemistry between the two equally likable main characters, as well as a solid mystery. There were a few typographical errors scattered about, but nothing that knocked me out of the story. All in all, an enjoyable, fast read!
Katie Smith-hunington
I thought this book was amazing it was almost everything I look for in a good book. I am an upcoming author myself and i really connected with this read.
Andrea Vermeulen
It was fine. Predictable, light reading. It was a quick read, which is what I want out of a free or cheap Kindle book.
Audra
It was good. Predictable, light reading. It was a quick read, which is what I want out of a free or cheap Kindle book.
Needlefingers
I don't think I realized this was a romantic mystery. I was hoping for a bit more of the paranormal. Ah well.
Carol White
Loved that it took place in Scotland. Interesting plot and characters. Need more from this author!!
Tessa
This was a great book. I was surprised after I started reading it, and couldn't put it down.
Christine
Loved the book. Cute ending which is always nice but had me guessing til the very end.
Jenny
Good, involving story. A bit heavy on the sex.
Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*
Nov 30, 2012 Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* marked it as my-kindle-freebie-to-read
FREE today on Amazon 11/30/12
Amy
Good easy read.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Vickie Wiggins
Vickie Wiggins marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
  • Run Among Thorns
  • Pretty Witches All in a Row
  • The Black Witch
  • The Huntress
  • Under the Moon's Shadow (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #2)
  • Between Seasons
  • Shadow Stations: Unseen
  • Dead Running
  • The Ghost Exterminator (Karmic Consultants, #2)
  • Sector C
  • Plague
  • A Night of Secrets (Night #1)
  • Tell Me When It Hurts
  • My Lady's Treasure
  • Test Pilot's Daughter: Revenge
  • Grave Situation
  • The Ghost of Squire House
  • Best Friends
Dawn Brown was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. Her first sojourn into storytelling began when she was nine. She would gather neighborhood kids into her garage and regale them with ghost stories, believing even then that atmosphere played an important role in a good story.

She has a diploma in journalism, but oddly found herself pursuing a career in the less than exciting world of computer leasi
More about Dawn Brown...
Blood and Bone The Devil's Eye (The Devil's Eye, #1) Living Lies The Curse of Culcraig The Ghosts of Cragera Bay (The Devil's Eye, #3)