Start by marking “Kill Me (Blood Chord, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kill Me (Blood Chord, #1)

Kill Me (Blood Chord #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Three days ago, Claire was a wife, a mother, and very much alive… then the music called for her.
Claire has one goal for the conference— to land a few whales so that her boss will give her a badly needed raise. She pitches and prays while courting the music industry elite until her plans are derailed by hotness-in-high-heels.

Bette is at the conference on a mission—to find a
Published May 5th 2012 by Quirky Gurl Media (first published April 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kill Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Me

Hers by Dawn  RobertsonVery Bad Things by Ilsa Madden-MillsConjuring Darkness by Melanie  JamesWhere I Need to Be by Kimberly KnightPrivate Message by Danielle Torella
Best Adult Indie Book Covers
119th out of 646 books — 1,339 voters
Angel of Death by Karen DalesVampire Vacation by C.J. EllissonAn Angels Ascent by Christina WorrellThe Hunt by C.J. EllissonChangeling by Karen Dales
Best Vampire Books from "New" Authors
153rd out of 822 books — 1,536 voters

More lists with this book...

Bending The Bookshelf
Jun 27, 2012 Bending The Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Shelves: bisexual, vampires
Alex Owens' Kill Me is the first volume of the Blood Chord sequence, an interesting mix of motherhood, music, vampires, and erotic desires.

It all starts out as a straight-forward piece of chick-lit fiction, with a harried working mother struggling to juggle the demands of a career with those of a resentful husband and a lonely daughter. Claire is a bit awkward, adding a lightly comic tone to the story, and her strained relationship serves to ground the overall story. You can't help but immediate
Shay Williams
May 13, 2012 Shay Williams rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire, chick-lit
KILL ME is a fast and enjoyable read written in first person from Claire’s perspective. Her goal at this conference is to sign up lots of clients and then go home to her daughter and dead beat husband. That is until she met Bette. Then her world gets turned sideways.

Ms. Owens has done a wonderful job with her characters. It is all too easy emphasize with Claire and her worries about paying her bills. Bette is a mixture of sultriness and feminine softness. And the men that she meets are hot and w
Lindsey Gray
May 01, 2012 Lindsey Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-reviews
The summary of this novel enticed me and I craved to know more about the main character, Claire.

At the beginning of the story, Owens throws us into Claire's life as she attends a music conference to land some new marketing clients. It's there she meets a mysterious Italian woman, Bette.

The next morning, Claire wakes up with no memory of the night before, but something life changing did indeed happen. Throughout that day, Bette fills her in on the gaps somewhat. Claire begins to feel even strange
Jennifer Rainey
May 19, 2012 Jennifer Rainey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars!

One day Claire is a working mom with a deadbeat husband and the next day, she’s a super powerful vampire. It’s quite a change to adjust to, but Claire not only manages, she thrives.

Kill Me by Alex Owens is a delightfully fun book that follows Claire as she adjusts to her new existence, but still manages to keep her humanity and dedication to her daughter intact. The book is written in quick and sometimes humorous prose that makes it an absolute joy to read. There are a few lines that
Devin
Jun 15, 2012 Devin rated it really liked it
Great book but I felt the need to point out a large mistake, this is a the mistake I found from chapter 16.

"We passed through the quiet lobby unnoticed and arrived at my hotel room door within minutes. I opened the door and held it for Bette, who breezed into the room, kicked off her heels and made herself comfortable on my bed. I followed her in and started babbling questions before the door clicked shut.

Bette cut me off. “We will be talking all night at this rate and that is not what I have
Masquerade Crew
Jul 12, 2012 Masquerade Crew rated it really liked it
MARK'S REVIEW

A suburban, working mother turned vampire (or almost) but with abilities the other vampires don't have: I haven't read much about vampire lore, but I think it's safe to say the premise of this book is unique—if only in an indirect way.

The writing style is easy to read. In fact, I found myself reading for longer periods of time than I normally do. Typically I read only for a few minutes at a time, the rest of my crazy schedule and life itself getting in the way. I made time for this
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this novel from a member librarything giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

Kill Me is about Claire, a housewife turned professional mom, who is struggling to deal with her now dead beat husband as well as trying to make ends meet. She goes on a business trip that suddenly completely changes her life, and she meets the enigmatic Bette.

I had so much fun reading this book. I will put it out there that this is in no ways a book for kids or teens-- this is more for older women; and at ti
Denise
May 22, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing
Take one overworked wife and mother just trying to get ahead and make ends meet, throw in a manipulative charismatic vampire and you have quite a ride. I really loved this book. Claire is sassy and smart and I love her character. Kill Me brings us a new type of vampirism and a world that full twisty paths that Claire must travel and she does it with a snarky wit and single-minded determination to make her circumstances work for her and her child. In my opinion this is a well written work with wo ...more
Renee Rearden
Jun 01, 2012 Renee Rearden rated it really liked it
Big girl vampire book. That's right. No character as a role model in this book, the story line is not sugar coated, and Kill Me is definitely not the kind of book my mom used to read!

Did I enjoy the story? Oh yeah. Ms Owens kept things gritty and mostly real. A nice change in a genre that's downplayed the heartless, dangerous, selfish side of the vampire culture. Will the idea flow in future novels? Maybe. I'm definitely intrigued...and I'll read the next novel in the Blood Chord series. Who wou
Angela
Jan 14, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free in exchange for a honest review. Claire is a hard working mom in a dead end marriage. On a business trip, something happens to her that changes her life forever. I loved this book! I know vampires have been written about a lot, but forget all those and read this book with a blank mind. It has a quirky, relatable main character that I adore. It incorporates music smoothly into the story, and the secondary characters are also well written without overpowering the stor ...more
Eugene Gorodinsky
There's only one problem with this book: it's too damn short!

Can't wait for the second and third books!
Francis Franklin
This is the first (and currently only) book in the Blood Chord series narrated by Claire who is working hard to support her daughter and increasingly burdensome husband. She has a natural empathic talent that makes her very good at finding clients, and she attracts the attention of the enigmatic Bette. Indeed, the attraction is mutual, and Claire discovers she is not as straight as she always believed. Bette, however, is a vampire and chooses to make Claire one too.

Claire spends much of the book
Janie Weimer
Mar 02, 2015 Janie Weimer rated it did not like it
So I binge-read several items that i'd downloaded for free the other day. This was one of them. This is one of the very few books I couldn't finish. The idea of the book had great potential, but there was way too much going on to stay focused, and the sex was more gratuitous, not with purpose. Maybe if I had read past 60% of the book, it would make sense and improve, but I think it's better if readers get hooked earlier than that.
Andrea Mcbride
Aug 13, 2013 Andrea Mcbride rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I love reading about vampires! But you throw in someone who has a career, who's a mother and wife then it just gets interesting!!! This was a fast read only becuase I couldn't put it down! But when I read the epilogue I was going to cry becuase I wanted more! I hope their is a book 2 becuase I have to know how it ends! I would for sure recommend this to all my friends who love vamps!
Terri
Sep 24, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it
A co-worker of mine recommended this book!! I am so glad she did!! I loved this book!! It was so entertaining! A lot of books always do or say the same things, but not with this author!! She definitely mixed it up. Very quirky....I can't wait for more from this series!!
Claire
Nov 10, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. Although a vampire book, it has humour and doesn't take itself too seriously. Lovable characters, an interesting and slightly different take on the usual vampire take. Looking forward to reading more from Alex Owens, starting with Blood Cord book 2!
Diane
Jan 11, 2015 Diane rated it it was ok
Ooh, this is tough. I actually really appreciate Claire, in a sense; a paranormal heroine who's in her 30s with a daughter and a failing marriage and some newfound doubts about her orientation is a welcome change of pace. Shame about the rest of it.
Kellie Harrington
Nov 22, 2012 Kellie Harrington rated it it was amazing
excellent book about lust and survival. Clair is overwhelmed by Bette the main vampire. Being turned Clair had a lot to learn.in the end she finds out she cant trust anyone. Cant wait to read the next in the series.
Maria Ray
Nov 24, 2012 Maria Ray rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kill Me is a fun little romp in a different kind of vampire story. Thoroughly enjoyed the humor and look forward to the next books in the series!
Janna Ward
May 18, 2013 Janna Ward rated it liked it
I really liked this book and was very disappointed when the second book didn't come out in the fall.
Karen Fowler
May 01, 2012 Karen Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has the tri-fecta: Vampires, steamy-bits, and rocking music :-)
Shauna Loves Books
Shauna Loves Books marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Imogen Reeves
Imogen Reeves marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Annabelle Morehouse
Annabelle Morehouse marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Lou
Lou marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Mars Frana
Mars Frana rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Monica Dowell
Monica Dowell marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
  • Blood Life
  • More Than an Echo (Echo Branson, #1)
  • The Superiors (The Superiors, #1)
  • A Silver Kiss (Vampire Poetry)
  • Forbidden Touch
  • Blood Legacy (Cursed by Blood Series, #3)
  • The Other Side
  • The Keeper and the Rune Stone (The Black Ledge Series, #1)
  • A Night at Tears of Crimson (Tears of Crimson, #1)
  • Eternal Seduction (A Darkness Within, #1)
  • Darkness Embraced (Rosso Lussuria Vampire, #1)
  • Daughters of Artemis
  • Far
  • Pretty When She Dies (Pretty When She Dies, #1)
  • Morrigan's Brood (Morrigan's Brood, #1)
  • The Department of Magic
  • Stranger Addiction (Awakening Sophy, #1)
  • A Prescription for Delirium (Van Helsing Organization, #1)
Alex Owens is a wife, mother, photographer and (of course) author living in Coastal Virginia with her family. She’s an avid reader and a paranormal fanatic. She owes her love of things that go bump in the night to Anne Rice, who first showed the world that creepy can indeed be beautiful at the same time.

After reading many of the popular paranormal series, including all of the Anita Blake Vampire H
More about Alex Owens...