Start by marking “Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1: The Great Escape” as Want to Read:
Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1: The Great Escape

Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1: The Great Escape (Peter Panzerfaust #1)

A coming of age tale told through the eyes of a group of French orphans during World War 2 who are saved by a brave and daring American boy named Peter. As they travel together, they get tangled up in the French Resistance in Paris, fighting a growing German presence under the leadership of a fanatical SS officer hell bent on wiping them out! Using the Peter Pan story as a ...more
Published September 11th 2012 by Image Comics (first published February 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1

Jeff
Aug 13, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Three and a half stars.

For those of you who hate Peter Pan (this includes me), this version takes a look at the basic story through a distorted mirror. This volume takes place in France at the beginning of World War II. Here, Peter is an American teen, with Daddy issues*, who rescues a group of French teenagers (the proverbial Lost Boys) from an orphanage. It borrows certain elements of the Pan legend: he’s fearless, cocky, and nonchalant; the Darlings, an elusive (Tinker) Belle, and a nemesis (
Sam Quixote
Jul 03, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Peter Panzerfaust is a retelling of JM Barrie’s Peter Pan set in Nazi-occupied France in 1940 – and it’s really good!

Told from the perspective of one of the orphans Peter liberates in the opening chapter, who’s now an elderly man, The Great Escape follows Peter and the boys as they fight their way through Calais to the docks before realising escape to Britain is now impossible. Turning around, they head toward Paris in the hope that somehow the Nazi threat will be repelled and the capital will r
Sesana
Apr 06, 2015 Sesana rated it liked it
An interesting take on the Peter Pan story. Wiebe moves the action to World War II France and extracts all the fantasy. Honestly, that sounded like less than fun to me. Isn't the joy of Peter Pan in the fantasy? What good is a Peter who can't fly, and who doesn't make the acquaintance of mermaids? But something convinced me to give it a shot. Probably that cover, with the Lost Boys joyriding in a jeep.

I'm glad that I did. Personally, I picked up quite a few references to the original, though I d
Kaitlin
Aug 13, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
So I picked this up on a recommendation from my lovely friend Chelsea who had already read and very much enjoyed this series. She told me that this was a sort of updated and modernised version of Peter Pan, set in a war-zone time period. I, naturally, thought it sounded hugely intriguing and didn't need to know anything more before I went ahead and bought Volume 1 to try it out. It also helps that we have pretty similar tastes in Graphic Novels and so I knew that the artwork would be pretty too. ...more
Brad
I don't like Peter Pan. I don't like the idea. I don't like the book. I like the Disney movie only very little, and I've never bothered seeing it on stage. I don't like either of the live action film versions I can think of at the moment. I just don't like it, so it is no surprise that I like Peter Panzerfaust much, much better than everything that's come before it.

It didn't need to do a whole hell of a lot to get there, though. But it did, which is good because this is a truly inspired take. P
Dan
Jan 15, 2016 Dan rated it it was ok
Quarter of the way into this I felt like giving up on this book. I decided to push on and just get thru it. It wasn't till half way thru that I got that it was a Peter Pan themed WWII story, but that still wasn't enough to make me enjoy this. I will try one more volume before I decide that I do not like this series.
Donovan
Apr 26, 2016 Donovan rated it really liked it
Suspending logic in that a band of untrained orphans can spontaneously combat highly trained Nazi soldiers, this is a great read and blend of historical fiction and what I would call light fantasy, the Peter Pan element. Strangely enough, I think we've all had a friend like Peter: captivating, tragic, funny, elusive, and suddenly they're gone. Bloody brilliant artwork by Tyler Jenkins and Alex Sollazzo.
Lisa
Mar 24, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2016
I don't usually comment or care about art style, but these orphan boys are drawn in such a way that they look like grown men to me. It's weird.
'kris Pung
Jun 17, 2014 'kris Pung rated it really liked it
A fun take on the Peter Pan mythos
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 02, 2012 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: I like WWII stories and I like reimagined fairy tales. This appealed to my tastes.

This is a very well done historical tale of a group of French orphans who survive the blasting of their orphanage in Calais. As they are trying to survive and decide what to do next they meet a charismatic American boy, Peter, who readily takes charge of the group and they set off to first just escape Calais, then later head to Paris where they assume they will be safer.

The dynamics of the child
Andy
Sep 07, 2012 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
Peter Pan was not a big part of my childhood. Oh, I knew who he was, but those stories (and the Disney appearances) were never really on my radar. That could explain why I liked Peter Panzerfaust so much.

The story begins with a reporter named Parsons interviewing Gilbert Agnew, a survivor of the Nazi bombing of Calais in 1940. Gilbert relates the tale of how he and several other boys from a local orphanage were rescued by a free-wheeling, danger-loving stranger named Peter. The boys are skeptic
Joe
Feb 02, 2016 Joe rated it it was amazing
I adored Volume 1 of Rat Queens so I immediately checked to see what else my library had by Kurtis Wiebe. I'm so glad I picked this one up. I will say this, "Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1: The Great Escape" is never a book I would have picked up on my own. The story of Peter Pan mixed with Nazi-occupied France seems like it wouldn't work at all. How wrong I was!

I particularly like the story framing device of interviewing on of the lost boys when he's an old man. I suspect as the volumes go on we'll
Alan
Jul 06, 2013 Alan rated it liked it
Writer Kurtis Wiebe recently described his WWII tale of orphans boys becoming guerilla fighters in France a Peter Pan homage. That is a very accurate description of this told in flashback to a writer interviewing one of the surviving Lost Boys who is now an old man.

When their Calais orphanage is destroyed out of the caranage emerges American Peter Panzerfaust. Peter is brash, reckless and everything the boys are willing (or nearly willing) to follow at this stage. When events prevent them from f
Anchorpete
Jan 25, 2015 Anchorpete rated it liked it
I think this book deserves praise for its ambition, and its attention to detail, for both World War II and the story of Peter Pan. I can't say, however, that I enjoyed reading it as much as I thought I would. I think it might very well come down to the art on this one.
To me, it was difficult to distinguish the Lost boys from each other. On a visual level, it was hard to tell who was who, and there was not a lot of plot or character detail, giving us scenes that show- ok this one is tootles, the
Heather V  ~The Other Heather~
Having a lifelong antipathy for the character of Peter Pan - such an entitled eternal brat, and canonically a sexist pig - coloured my view of this book, without a doubt. (People always get angry when I say that. It's just the way I saw it!) I am, however, a WWII history buff, which I expected to offset the initial negative vibes.

Didn't happen, unfortunately.

The story itself was interesting enough, told through flashbacks and photos from Peter's wartime antics/heroics. But the fit felt odd, an
Laurel
Oct 30, 2013 Laurel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A re-telling of Peter Pan and his Lost Boys during WW2. It is perhaps the most compelling and heartfelt storytelling I have seen applied to these characters. The artwork expertly balances both grit and whimsy, perfectly balancing the heart of the story. I cannot fathom how much I wish I had thought of this story. It is a truly epic work and I thank my lucky stars each and every day for such staggeringly good comic book artists!
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Jan 04, 2014 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image

Loving this 'alternate' Peter Pan story!

I have always been a BIG fan of the Peter Pan adventures. This comic captures a lot of what made the original story great. A fantastic opening arc to what I am sure is going to be a helluva journey.

Wonderful adventure, beautiful art, and a story that makes you want to crawl into it and be a part of its grand design.

I would follow Peter, follow him anywhere.
Miguel
Feb 06, 2016 Miguel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: image
5 stars

Oh god. Yes. Yes. This is so good! The way the story is told. The characters. The art. Its all so good!
Ist about friendship and adventure!
When one of the most fascinating conflict (world war 2) meets one of the most amazing fairy tail (peter pan) can't get wrong!
Cant wait for the second volume!
Felix is dope.
Oct 27, 2015 Felix is dope. rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the Peter Pan story. I'm not quite convinced but I will try the 2nd book and see how it goes.
Joana
Aug 22, 2016 Joana rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joana by: Bruno Carriço
Algo completamente novo e inesperado... muito bom!!!
Raelynn
Nov 25, 2016 Raelynn rated it really liked it
My friend recommended this to me because of my old love for history and my new found love for graphic novels. Needless to say my love for them has grown now too. A entertaining spin on the classic peter pan story, but honestly the art is where this really shines. There was no questioning picking up the second volume.
Molly
Oct 16, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This isn't a bad graphic novel- there is adventure, young people getting to be heroes who save themselves, Nazis getting beaten up- lots of stuff that people may find appealing. It was well-done; just not my kind of read, and not something I really need to see through to the end.
Jaaron
Jun 27, 2014 Jaaron rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on Worn Pages and Ink.

Peter and the lost boys are orphans, their parents lost in the brutality of WWII. Each boy is touched by the war in a different way–some emerging as leaders, others their ingenuity–but they come together through mutual understanding of loss and a desire to survive. The boys are resourceful and they pull on one another’s strengths, acting as a cohesive group. Although they operate as a unit, they understand each boy’s autonomy. Each has the right to
Tara
Jan 22, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
If you aren’t reading this comic, please start now.

Peter Panzerfaust is Peter Pan set in 1940s France.

That is the least of what this comic is.

Peter rescues a group of young, teenage French orphans in Calais after the city has been occupied by Nazis (the pirates). Together they escape toward Paris–with some stops along the way. Peter is a brash, bold, dare-devil optimist who always looks forward. Gilbert (or Tootles as Peter deems him a couple times until it catches on, much to Gilbert’s annoyanc
Lindsay Stares
Feb 04, 2013 Lindsay Stares rated it it was amazing
New Release! I received an electronic copy of this book from Netgalley for the purposes of review.

Premise: It’s a reimagining of Peter Pan set in France during WWII. Many years later, a man who had been an orphan stranded in Calais during the German invasion tells the story of how he and a group of other stranded boys were rescued by a strange American named Peter.

I expected to enjoy this book, but I had no idea how fascinating it was going to be. The blend of history and literary allusions is g
Matti Karjalainen
Kurtis J. Wieben käsikirjoittama ja Tyler Jenkinsin kuvittama "Peter Panzerfaust" (Image, 2012) myytiin minulle kolmen asian voimin:

1) Se kertoo toisen maailmansodan ranskalaisesta vastarintaliikkeestä, mikä on aina kiinnostavaa
2) Kuten nerokas nimikin kertoo, sen pitäisi olla samalla uudelleentulkinta J.M. Barrien "Peter Panista".
3) Sen on julkaissut monista hyvistä sarjakuvista viime vuosina vastannut Image Comics

Saksan armeija vyöryy Ranskaan vuonna 1940. Calaisissa sijaitseva orpokoti saa os
Matej Kondas
Apr 19, 2015 Matej Kondas rated it really liked it
Ahroooo!
Druhá světová válka. Městečko Caillais padlo proti německé ofenzivě a britští vojáci houfně ustupujíaby nechali město napospas nepřátelskému vojsku. Chlapci z místního rozbombardovaného sirotčince, jsou opuštěni v mrtvém městě.

A pak se objeví Petr.
Je drzý, šarmantní a způsobem jakým provokuje esesáky mu není rovno. Když skáče jako by létal, když zavyje do útoku, zní to jako vlčí vytí. Je mladý, jakoby nechtěl nikdy vyrůst. A společně se ztracenými chlapci začne znepříjemňovat němcům ži
Lisa
Jul 28, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Peter Panzerfaust is a graphic novel set during World War 2 which tells the story of Peter Pan in a new way.

The Peter in this graphic novel looks older than the original Peter Pan and he appears out of nowhere to help some "lost boys"(again, they look older than mere "boys") who are orphans because of the war, mostly. Together, Peter and the lost boys fight to survive and eventually Wendy Darling comes into the story with her brothers.

I can't say I loved this take on Peter Pan. I'm very protec
Andrew
Oct 06, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
While this first book contains no overt fantasy elements, it combines the Peter Pan story with the German invasion of France in World War II. A young American helps a group of orphans escape the German invasion of Calais (the first French city to fall). En route to Paris, they encounter the newly-orphaned Darling family: Wendy, John and Michael. No sign of Tinkerbell yet, but the series is still young.

This book combines the feeling of a boys' adventure story with a harsher, grimmer tale of war a
Amy
I've never read the original Peter Pan. My main exposure to the story is through the horribly racist Disney movie that I enjoyed parts of and a dodgy live action movie with an actor that everyone but me thought was attractive. I'm also not big on war stories. I've read 2 that I really enjoyed. Code Name Verity and one I read in year 7 whose name I can't remember. This didn't bode well for this graphic novel but I picked it up because I really enjoyed Rat Queens #1 by this author and wanted to di ...more
  • Amelia Cole and the Unknown World
  • Prophet, Volume 2: Brothers
  • The Manhattan Projects, Volume 3: Building
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • Templar
  • Punk Rock Jesus
  • Haunt, Volume 2
Kurtis Wiebe is a Vancouver, Canada based author who’s been established in the world of comic writing since 2009. For his contribution to the critically acclaimed Green Wake, Kurtis was presented with the Outstanding Comic Book Writer Shuster Award.

Never satisfied with a specific style of writing, Kurtis has branched out to novels, videogames and screenplays. He spends his days at home, writing ab
More about Kurtis J. Wiebe...

Peter Panzerfaust (4 books)
  • Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 2: Hooked