Start by marking “The Long Way Home (Sequoyah, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Long Way Home (Sequoyah, #1)

The Long Way Home (Sequoyah #1)

Webspace pilot Moire Cameron is one of the best--but even she can’t fly her way out of a catastrophic drive failure that triggers a time-dilation bubble. Left suddenly eighty years out of date, she is on the run in a world she no longer knows, caught in the middle of a human-alien war while agents of Toren hunt her for the information only she has--the location of the ...more
Published May 3rd 2012 by Worlds Away Press

To ask other readers questions about The Long Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Way Home

Clyde
Sep 04, 2012 Clyde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The Long Way Home is the first book I have read by Sabrina Chase, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It provides a rollicking good story with a nice mix of mystery, action, and suspense. It is a good example of what is being called human-wave science fiction. (Human-wave stories are not like the recently fashionable dystopian tales. They are often more space operatic, and, I would say, are restoring the sense of wonder to SF.)
The book ends on a hopeful note, but with a lot of mysteries unsolved. That
SubterraneanCatalyst
When I finished this book, I screamed- OUT LOUD. This is why I have this shelved under "wtf-ending". My husband looked over and said "books are supposed to be private ok?" because I was apoplectic. This was last night.
So! The thing is, I love this book. The bad thing is- the ending is just a punch in the gut in that while it isn't technically a cliff hangar it just ..ends like having a movie end in the middle! Oh wait, it is like having a book end..before it is supposed to be ending.
I still lov
Rhode
Sep 04, 2015 Rhode rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
3.5 really, rounded up for having a whole bunch of strong female characters, living in a world with zero apparent sexism. Nobody underestimates anyone because they are female, nobody uses sexual wiles to get their way, and all professionals (officers, mercenaries, criminals, pilots, etc) are as likely to be female as male. Bechtel test blown away. And all without any author preaching or even calling-your-attention-to-it. The universe just is not sexist. Happy dance.

If you just switched character
Faith
Sometimes my subscription to Bookbub really, really pays off.

The Long Way Home is a fantastic SF/Space Opera adventure tale. Chase takes the concept of "in medias res" and RUNS with it -- the preview on Amazon dropped me right into the middle of a battle, and dropped just enough hints about protagonist Moire Cameron's mysterious secret to reel me in. By the time I reached the end of the sample chapters, I was thoroughly invested.

It doesn't end there. Chase is completely unafraid to skip big chun
Opal
May 23, 2012 Opal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The scope of this book is magnificent. From the frontlines of a war in space to the backwater planets on the Fringe, this book has a little bit of everything.

Mercenaries, Fleet military, pirates, and pioneers. The cast of characters are vast, varied and colorful. The landscape is just as rich. From planetside to ship life, you get a taste of everything. All without missing a beat.

The character development is phenomenal. Moire is vulnerable in her pain at being stranded 80 years from her time. Ye
William
Aug 01, 2016 William rated it it was amazing
Wow, a great first novel. Wonderful pacing and characters, good hard sci-fi world building, just enough complexity in plotting to be compelling.

Be warned, this book is really the "first half" of at least two books in the series.

Very good stuff here!

And, WOW, Kudos for self-publishing! WELL DONE!
Janine Southard
What a great piece of space opera. I finished it and immediately rushed to buy the second book (of three).

It's got a lot of the elements I personally find fun in space opera stories:
1) Our hero is a pilot. In fact, she used to be a crazy test pilot, so she can fly just about anything (because she has no fear and is also TRAINED).
2) There are spaceships.
3) There's a war on with aliens.
4) No one actually cares about the war with the aliens because there's inter-human backbiting/politicking. You al
Cedar Sanderson
Jun 06, 2014 Cedar Sanderson rated it really liked it
The Long Way Home begins with perhaps one of the best examples of ‘in media res’ that I have read recently. The story which came before is revealed slowly, by the reluctant hero who wanted only to die… and instead saves the day. Moire, our heroine, goes on to think she only lives because she fears pain. But she rediscovers herself when she becomes responsible for others, and must care for them. Her life becomes a thing worth having when it means she protects others.

If you read my reviews, you kn
Gallandro_83
Nov 04, 2013 Gallandro_83 rated it really liked it
I liked this new space opera and am looking forward to continuing reading about Moire.

This book makes use of the big threads for space-opera and does so pretty well. We have a war pitting humans against alien adversaries. We have large space corporations warring against humanity itself. We have hot-shot pilots that save space battles and humanity desperate to save itself. In fact there really isn't much in the series that is new or unique it just takes the common space-opera themes and weaves fo
mirba
Feb 19, 2016 mirba rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Sometimes I forget how much I like science fiction, It is usually more tiring to read than the ya pnr trash I stumble on the free kindle books, and it does take some attention to read it.

This book is a great epic saga and I loved it and all the rest of the serie. Great characters, great plot, great world building, careful and well planned storyline and it is also really well written. Oh did I mention that it is also a page turner that keeps you up in the middle of the night to go on and on read
Pancha
Aug 24, 2015 Pancha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
I'm so glad I found this book! This is just the kind of space opera I want to read: plenty of action with characters I enjoy spending time with. I highly recommend this to any one who likes sci-fi. In some ways it reminds me of Battlestar Galactica (space opera, depth of characters) and also the Steerwoman's Road (spirit of exploration, temperament of the main character).
Kathyb
Mar 19, 2014 Kathyb rated it it was amazing
Worth reading!

it took a while for this book to get my full attention but once the story started unfolding, the characters developed into those you want to follow. Very unique storylines. Looking forward to the next book.
Douglas Cook
This book has all the cool things that I like to read. It has suspense. It moves quickly. It has a great plot. Characters are interesting. The plot is based on the good old oddities of space travel. I must read the next book....
Feb 20, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the other two in the series. I like the characters and the fact that you aren't given too much at once really keeps you reading to find out all the secrets.
Hmr28
Dec 14, 2013 Hmr28 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent sci-fi from Chase. I've gone on a glom for this author and plan to keep reading till I've finished her back list (and since I have 800 unread books on my nook that should tell you how good she is!)
Andi
Mar 18, 2016 Andi added it
The story took a hundred pages or so to get going, but after the main character developed for a while I finished it eagerly.
Barbara Dunbar
Dec 29, 2015 Barbara Dunbar rated it it was amazing
Sequoya

A mutiny and running and hiding. The heroine kept my interest with her moral compass and ability to inspire loyalty.
Steven Allen
Sep 30, 2015 Steven Allen rated it really liked it
This was a good first book by this author. I like humanist SciFi and this book certainly fits that description.
Dan
Sep 18, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Excellent pacing and suspense. Engaging characters. Rarely do I read a book all in one go, even more rarely I want to go straight on to the next book. Both are the case this time.
Teresa Carrigan
May 12, 2012 Teresa Carrigan rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Excellent science fiction. Good characterizations for the most part too - I really cared about some of the characters. First in a (trilogy? series?). I'll be looking for the sequels.
KarenLana
May 13, 2015 KarenLana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Love it! Great space adventure.
Grady McCallie
Sep 29, 2016 Grady McCallie rated it really liked it
For the first few chapters, this reads as military-style science fiction, perhaps better written than most, but still marked by an emphasis on combat, unit dynamics, and hierarchy. But, pretty rapidly, the plot jumps tracks to become genuine space opera, with interesting characters, multiple storylines, and distinct locations. Overall, the settings and characters felt like they'd stepped out of a particularly successful Traveller role-playing game campaign set in a non-canonical near future. ...more
Nils
Oct 03, 2016 Nils rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, oh man, oh man! I enjoyed this one immensely. Interesting set of characters, a larger mystery slowly unfolding and lots of action to boot. What's not to like.
Glynn Stewart
Nov 03, 2015 Glynn Stewart rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
So much potential here!

Ms. Chase delivers a brilliant story with some fascinating concepts and ideas, that I fully intend to read further. The story has potential and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

This first book, however, looks to be her first effort and suffers from pacing issues that left me almost forgetting I was reading it.

Overall, a solid first effort, and I intend to see what comes next for Moire Cameron.
Bob Hussey
I will have to get the next in the sequence. I was confused more than once but that turned out to be a wonderful thing. I was confused because the characters were confused about different things (identities, motivations, decisions). And the author did a great job of making sure that all the confusion was justified as it moved the story forward. Really good. Really enjoyed it.
Mary B. Grove
Jun 05, 2016 Mary B. Grove rated it it was amazing
Excellent beginning to the series

I read this book start to finish In one night--it was that good. Fast paced, great characters, complex plot and lots of action. I'm anxious to start the next one but I need some sleep first....
William Howe
Sep 20, 2015 William Howe rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Early on there is a disjointed feeling that is in keeping with the main character's understanding what is going on. A clever way to make current slang useable in the far future.

I will buy the next in the series now.
Dick
Sep 13, 2012 Dick added it
started slow. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but I enjoyed it enough to also read the sequal "Raven's Children"
D.E.
D.E. rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2015
William Hidden
William Hidden rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Marann
  • Inception (The Catherine Kimbridge Chronicles, #1)
  • Hearts of Ishira
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • Telzey Amberdon
  • Ghost in the Machine (Corwint Central Agent Files, #1)
  • Stellarnet Rebel (Stellarnet, #1)
  • Queen & Commander (Hive Queen Saga #1)
  • Mindtouch (The Dreamhealers, #1)
  • Captive Surrender
  • A Handful Of Stars (Star Svensdotter, # 2)
  • Swords and Saddles
  • Enemy Games (Enemy, #2)
  • Fallen Pride (Caribbean Adventure Series Volume 4)
  • 2012 Lunar Contact (Contact, #1)
  • Lionheart (StarQuest, #1)
  • Uncommon Purpose (The Hope Island Chronicles Book 1)

Sequoyah (3 books)
  • Raven's Children (Sequoyah, #2)
  • Queen of Chaos (Sequoyah, #3)