Births, Deaths and Marriages (Lloyd and Hill Mystery, #12)

Births, Deaths and Marriages (Lloyd & Hill #12)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A gripping story of murder, kidnapping and paedophllia that mercilessly teases to the very last page. In the middle of her maternity leave from Stansfield police force, Judy Hill had thought that her hands were full enough looking after her new baby. But as she is walking Charlotte through the local park, she inadvertantly witnesses the kidnapping of a baby. With emotions...more
Published 2002 by Macmillan

Nikki
Sadly, the last in the Lloyd and Hill series, because the author died. The books kept getting better and better and I will always wonder what would have happened next.
Winnie
Who knew there was more than one book with this title. I thought I was reading this book for one of my book clubs. Turns out I had the right title (almost) but the wrong author. By the time I found out, I was almost through with this so I finished it.

This is a murder mystery by a British author. It's one of many in a series with Detectives Lloyd and Hill.

The book was fast moving. However, as Detective Lloyd kept coming up with possible scenarios that pointed to each of the main characters, it...more
Julie
I had no idea that Jill McGown passed away in April 2007. I read this novel December 2006- the first McGown mystery for me.

I was enchanted and intrigued by Chief Inspector Lloyd and Det Sgt Judy Hill- partners on the force and partners in life. The characters have all the charm of Agatha Christie's cast and the mystery is of its age without the cynicism or maudlin tattoo sported by many a modern murder mystery. The marriage and professional lives of its chief protagonists lend the story a human...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

As a series book I knew what one of the births and one of the marriages would be in this book, and I wondered if there would be much more to it than that. Being a detective series you can pretty much guarantee a death or two. I'm pleased to say it turned out to be more than just a couple of rites of passage for the central characters.

Decent puzzles added up to a good plot. I'd guessed the murderer quite early on - process of elimination seemed to exclude everyone else - but it didn't make for di

Danielle West
Enjoyable. It was really interesting to so how all of the different stories came together in the end.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Readers who enjoy old fashioned who-done-its’ will enjoy Death In The Family because it will keep you guessing about the identity of the murderer until the final pages. This is the first book I’ve read by Jill McGown and her style of writing is not one I’m accustomed; however, author McGown kept me going in circles trying to solve the case before it was reveled. I truly enjoyed the ending because it was an unexpected surprise.
Kenzie
This was a fine summer mystery read. I may have given it a better rating, but I realized I hadn't updated it on here, and now that I think about what I want to say about it - well, I can't remember a whole lot about it. I do know that although I liked the writing and some of the characters, there were some plot twists that I had already figured out. That said, there were some that were surprises as well.
Jamilah
More British detectives; I like this author too, but I'm starting to get the characters mixed up because I've been reading 4 or 5 different British detective series.
Iliotropio
Mar 27, 2013 Iliotropio is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Deb
A good ending for the series, and for all but two of the characters. Let's hope Judy and DD Lloyd are living happily ever after.
Kim
One of my favorites from the Lloyd/Judy Hill series.
Kelly
3.5 stars. Not one of my favorites.
Susan Clark
Susan Clark marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jul 03, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 27, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Linda B
Linda B marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Rita B. Nelson
Rita B. Nelson is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s...more
More about Jill McGown...
Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2) A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1) A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7) Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3) Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #9)