Start by marking “A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)

A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,435 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Dr Edward Kitchener, a brilliant researcher into quantum cosmology, lies dead with his lungs spread out on either side of his open chest. Only a mercenary or professional killer could have breached the premier-grade security system - but why would a professional waste time in ritual slaughter?

Greg Mandel, psi-boosted ex-private eye, is enticed out of retirement to launch a...more
Audible Audio
Published December 6th 2011 by Audible Frontiers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Quantum Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Quantum Murder

Kenzie Lamar
Great series by a very good author. So far this is my favorite series from Peter F. Hamilton. I have his latest series yet to read.

A quantum Murder is as close as a contemporary book can get to cyberpunk but not really be cyberpunk. What I mean by that is that "cyberpunk" was mostly written in the 80s and 90s and has that feel and flavor. It got a lot of future predictions wrong and correcting those predictions kind of ruins the feel of what cyberpunk is. What I think The Greg Mandel series doe...more
Hx
One hour into the book and the author decides to alienate all self-aware female readers by having a male character say in dialog to another male character (let's call him Bladibla):
"stop giggling, Bladibla. Only bloody women giggle."

Let's think about that sentence for a while, shall we. I'm sure the male part of Hamilton's fanbase doesn't have the faintest idea of what the problem here is. Let's substitute "women" with Jews, and giggling with something else.

"stop doing that, Bladibla. Only blood...more
Doranna Durgin
Recommended! Slow to start, but turned complex and fascinating, and inside a wonderfully complete imagination of a world after Warming.
Kathi
9/10
A science fiction mystery with enough surprises and twists to satisfy this reader.
Travis
A very good book, reminds me a lot of some of Asimov's sci-fi murder mysteries. I have a few issues with the ending..
*Spoiler Alert*
They never explain how the time delay on the gun used on Nicholas worked. And why did it happen on the night that a) had such a strong storm that it rules out any outside invaders and b)the same night that Nicholas sees Isabel go into Kitchener's room. As Greg always says, "there is no such thing as coincidence". Maybe Nicholas really did do it and found a way to re...more
Roddy Williams
‘Dr Edward Kitchener, a brilliant researcher into quantum cosmology for the Event Horizon conglomerate… but no good to anyone now, lying dead with his lungs spread out on either side of his open chest.

The security system at Launde Abbey was premier-grade, yet a mercenary could still have got through, and plenty of people anxious to stop Kitchener’s work would pay the killer’s fee. But why would a professional waste time in ritually slaughtering the target?

Something doesn’t gel here. Was Kitchene...more
Tamahome
4/12 hrs - I was worried it was going YA, but now Greg is back and it looks like a traditional murder mystery.

9/12 hrs - 3 hrs left. I'm not totally bowled over. I hope what I think will happen doesn't happen. It seems more mystery-y and less science fiction-y than the 1st Mandel book.

All done. I think it's the least impressive of his books, and that's including Misspent Youth. Actually the murder solution wasn't what I expected. It seemed far-fetched. Maybe he left clues on the way, but I misse...more
Alain Dewitt
The first Peter Hamilton I read was 'The Temporal Void'. I enjoyed it so then I went back and researched his catalog and decided to start at the beginning, the Mandel trilogy. This is the second of the Mandel trilogy.

I guess I would classify it as proto-cyberpunk. It's set in a post-Global Warming England. The New Conservatives have come to power after the excesses of a leftist regime. (I find it curious that Hamilton took heat for suggesting a leftist regime - a fictitious one, at that - could...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in October 2000.

Though slow in getting started, Hamilton's second science fiction mystery featuring psychic detective Greg Mandel turns into an interesting piece of detection. Like the others, it is set in a post-global warming, post-socialist dictatorship Britain, much of the novel taking place in an area fairly familiar to me, around Oakham and Peterborough. Seeing the familiar transformed as Hamilton has done here is quite strange; the idea that parts of B...more
Matt Schiariti
High-tech version of Clue...

...and that's a good thing...Hamilton makes this more than just a near future thriller or even a run of the mill sci fi novel....by mixing genres he's turned A Quantum Murder into a good old fashioned whodunnit....just with better technology ;)

When an eccentric but brilliant physicist is brutally murdered by one of his very own students things get very complicated for Greg Mandell. Normally something of this nature would be totally off his radar now that he's living t...more
Alex
"A Quantum Murder" is the second in the Greg Mandel series by Peter Hamilton. It is science fiction of a sort, in that it's a gruesome murder mystery that takes place in the future with all kinds of super neat gadgets but they can't seem to pave a road across the countryside to a college building and the police get stuck in the mud. This suggests a problem with industry so... how did they make and deliver those gadgets in the first place?

It's a small inconsistency but it bugs me.

The story goes l...more
Peter
A Quantum murder: ah the book that introduced me to Mr hamilton what a writer utterly superb the Greg mandel books are set in the rutland area and also peterborough

its set in the none to distant future and global warming has caused sea levels to rise so that peterborough is now on the coast and most of lincolnsire is shallow water
oakham (like many places)is full of the refugees from that time and greg lives in a former timeshare complex (where incidently i used to work)
greg was part of a mili

Pamela
Hmmm, more like 2.5 stars. I enjoyed the story a lot, although it got a bit convoluted near the end. Other reviewers seemed to take issue with Hamilton's political agenda. I'm the first to admit that I'm not completely up to speed on Marxism vs. consumerism/capitalism and implications for future society.

Wow, that sounded like a horribly pretentious sentence. Hence my non-involvement with all that stuff *waves hands vaguely*.

Anyway, my main beef with this is Hamilton's portrayal of women, particu...more
Joshua
What I learned from this book (and entire series) is to not judge a book by its cover. Sadly, as superficial as I am, if I didn't know who Hamilton was, I never would have grabbed this book off the shelves. Who designs those covers? Anyway, about the actual book...

This being the second book in the Greg Mandel series, it is a little bit easier to follow, though I still feel that Hamilton threw in too many new and confusing terms and events for a book this size. Throws off the flow. However, it wa...more
Nathan
A fairly straight whodunnit in a near-future, globally-warmed, corporation-dominated world. Main character has a couple of psychic talents and a group of particularly useful associates and friends. But as with all whodunnits, the answer is not as simple as it may appear.

This is a bit of a 90 degree shift from the first Mandel book, which was all corporate intrigue and a bit technothriller. Here the story takes much less "real time" and thus it is developed with a bit more languor and detail, wit...more
Richard
The second book in the series sees all the major characters returning to solve a murder. There were elements in the book that were a little 'ick'. This is the young adult feel at certain parts of the book (lots a young sex and relationships etc). Some terms that were added were a little iffy as well, and i can imagine some people would have been angry about them.

Some elements of the story were also stretching as well. While I can understand the space portion of the story, i think it could have b...more
Rob
I enjoyed this book. It's not as good as the first in the trilogy, which was fantastic, but still gets the job done.

Julia is a much less likable character in this book, obsessing over boys and what the tabloids are saying about what she's wearing. She's largely incidental to the plot and just annoying.

The murder is an interesting one, but the key points in the plot are often predictable, and there really isn't enough suspense to qualify this as a great book.

Overall the world that Hamilton create...more
Darth
As much of a sci fi mystery as anything - this wasnt BAD so much as it just seemed to invent a new technology every time the author needed it. Fine if that is what you are into. But for me good sci fi happens when the characters drive the story, and they are in a sci fi setting, this was not that paradigm.

I know there are exceptions to everything. The presence of Louis Wu is not what made Ringworld interesting. I couldnt name anyone but Kendy for the state and Gavin out of the Smoke Ring / inte...more
Andreas
Consisting of:

Mindstar Rising
A Quantum Murder
The Nano Flower

These three loosely connected novels share the same protagonist, Greg Mandel. He is a psychic former soldier who now works as a sort of private investigator/mercenary. Greg comes into contact with a billionaire named Julia Evans, a very interesting characted in herself.

Although they can be read as straightforward SciFi crime novels, there is much more depth here. The location, a post ecodisaster England recovering from climate change...more
Michael O'Donnell
Psi-enhanced investigator, Greg Mandel, puts his retirement on hold to investigate the murder of an Event Horizon scientist in this sequel to Mindstar Rising.

Hamilton gives us another competent thriller in his usual page-turning, easy to read prose style. Not an award-winning classic, but an enjoyable whodunnit nevertheless.
Marco Paganini
A murder story with sci-fi slant to it. Eentertaining, but I found the plot to be somewhat slow on the first half of the book. It picks up later with a twist on top of a twist. From all Mandel stories, I think this is the one that requires the most suspension of disbelief, but still worth a read.
Colin Gerber
Another good book in the series. Much more of a murder mystery this time peppered with sci-fi. I would definitely recommend the book.
Clint
you can definitely see peter hamilton's writing develop - an idea, comment, phrase mentioned in his earlier work blooms in later works.

I'm a big fan of the commonwealth series, which definitely led me to reading these while i wait for the next.

you can catch a "jesus wept" here (as well as ftl drives, wormholes and more)

i enjoyed this one, deftly wrapped a murder mystery up in a scifi novel.

and whoever mentioned the bad covers, agreed.

for temporal void - to bad the American version isn't out til...more
David
After reading the first 2 Void novels and waiting for the 3rd, I stumbled on this novel while looking for more Hamilton. I didn't realize until now that it was the 2nd in a trilogy about the central character, Greg Mandel, a gifted but scarred telepathic detective whose abilities had been discovered, enhanced, used and abused by the military.

This book is a very satisfying 'who-done-it', with lots of plot twists and MacGuffins aplenty. I'm excited to learn that I still get to experience new Mande...more
Rene' Feuerlein
Another awesome detective/sci-fi thriller in the Greg Mandel trilogy. 4.5 stars!
Daniel Hill
I like the idea of linking the psi-abilities of the first book with quantum theory, although I think it throws up more questions than it solves. The murder mystery element is a little too predictable. Although it perhaps fleshes out a little of the British political backstory, there is no real additions to the "Greg Mandel universe". Felt a little like an extended short story using the characters and world of the first book, Mindstar Rising.
Tim
After trudging through the endlessly turgid Temporal Void, this second instalment in the Greg Mandel trilogy came as a breath of fresh air. Loved it, and looking forward to book 3.
Andrew Critchell
This is the first of the Greg Mandel series I have read (this was book two but it is all they had at the library!) which are a little different from the straight sci-fi that is Hamilton's bread and butter. It is set only a little into the future in a post-climate change scenario which was entirely believable. The pace was good and the characters well developed, and even though it is the second in the series I did not feel that I was missing anything having not read the first. Overall an enjoyabl...more
Laurie
Not quite as good as the first in the series, however, I love the characters and the setting. I really had the whole mystery aspect sussed very quickly, but like the Pandora's Star, the world Hamilton has created has totally captivated me. I enjoyed the mild twists and turns even though I was ultimately proven correct in my assessment of the crime. If you like the atmosphere of his books you won't be disappointed even with the rather transparent mystery.
Justin
Original and brilliant, a perfect combination of murder mystery and science fiction.
  • The Line Of Polity (Agent Cormac, #2)
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • The Endymion Omnibus
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns, #4)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...
Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga, #1) The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1) Judas Unchained (Commonwealth Saga, #2) The Dreaming Void (Void, #1) The Evolutionary Void (Void, #3)