When Jackie and Hank Met

When Jackie and Hank Met

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Jackie Robinson and Hank Greenberg both faced prejudice in their lives and careers
Published 2012 by Marshall Cavendish Children

Monique
Jackie Robinson was a remarkable athlete and I've year about him my entire life. While I haven't been exposed to the life of Hank Greenberg as much. Their stories are parallel with racial discrimination and a drive to compete to become the best they could be. This story is written at a 6-8 year old level and deals with the issues accordingly. The illustrations are amazing. The dynamics of the story left this 40+ year old in awe while the children I read the story to asked tons of questions (whic...more
Christina
Very nice picture book comparing the lives and careers of baseball players Jackie Robinson and Hank Greenberg. Shows their similar backgrounds, moving to new neighborhoods and experiencing discrimination as a child and adult (Hank for being Jewish, Jackie for being black), working their way into the Big Leagues, then fighting for their country in World War II. All the while they are living thousands of miles apart, but getting closer, until one day they "meet" when their teams play a game agains...more
Anna Olswanger
"Jackie and Hank were born eight years and one thousand miles apart. Nobody knew these babies would grow up and play baseball. Nobody knew Jackie and Hank would meet and become heroes."

When Jackie and Hank Met has a rhythmic text that tells the story of two men, one African-American, one Jewish, who broke the barriers of race and religion in American sports and ultimately became baseball legends.

Hank Greenberg was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame on July 23, 1956, and Jackie Robinson in...more
Katy
Before I intentionally place a book on the shelves of my classroom library, I try to read it. This morning, I read When Jackie and Hank Met. It's a wonderful book that explores not only the integration of major league baseball, but it also how prejustice is not limited to the color of your skin but to other facets as well. Jackie said that Hank was a man of class; so was Jackie.
Elisabeth
Easy to understand and clever concept, documenting the actual physcical distance between the two until the fateful day they met.
Jo-Ann
Two different men who both played baseball and fought for the rights of people everywhere. Great book for black history month.
Belinda Logan
Belinda Logan marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Mlovelace
Mlovelace marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Amanda Hamilton
Amanda Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Car Wash Kid On Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur On Sukkot and Simchat Torah On Passover On Hanukkah