Start by marking “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander #8.5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  6,593 ratings  ·  502 reviews
Available for the first time as an exclusive eBook in this original Outlander novella, Diana Gabaldon reveals what really happened to Roger MacKenzie Wakefield’s parents. Orphaned during World War II, Roger believed that his mother died during the London Blitz, and that his father, an RAF pilot, was killed in combat. But in An Echo in the Bone, Roger discovers that this ma ...more
Published December 3rd 2012 by Dell (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows, please sign up.

Michelle Mcdonald I just came across the answer to your question by chance looking up something else on the outlandish observations site, Maria - chapter 21. Cheers.

Jill

What really happened to Jerry MacKenzie, Roger's father?

description

Roger had always believed his father, an RAF pilot died after being shot down while flying a mission over the English Channel during World War 2.

This novella will be appreciated by fans of the Outlander series and isn't a standalone. Best read before or after book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood, it tells what really became of Roger's father.

Well put together and great short piece to add to the whole Outlander world and experience.
Robin
It seems like we've been waiting so long for Diana Gabaldon's next book, so I was very excited to download this novella! While there's no mention of Claire or Jaime, we get to meet a very wee Roger and learn more about his parents. I have always thought that there was more to Jerry MacKenzie's story, especially, and it seems I was right! I don't want to give anything away, but I was very excited when I figured out who two strangers - one dark and one fair - were. There's also an interesting came ...more
Virginia
A short little novella....but an important one! A slice of backstory regarding Roger's parents and how they died which filled in an area never gotten to in the 'big' books. I really enjoy these little 'fill in' books that branch out into the less 'major' characters and answer the niggling little questions. However...she has yet to address my main question....was the 'highlander' outside Claire's window at the start of the first book actually Jamie?? And HOW did he end up across Randall's body at ...more
Lauren
I was entirely too excited about this. I started it and was unable to finish for about 24 hours and during that time I think I built my expectation of this novella up to epic proportions.

Was this epic? Most certainly not. Was it an interesting little side read for someone who really enjoyed Outlander? Without a doubt.
Karla

5 Stars! Had this for a while and I never read it. Then I got to a point in WiMOHB where I had to stop and go back...so glad I did...and so glad I waited!
Goodlittlewitch
I loved it. It adds a number of details to the Outlander stories that I hadn't even realized I was missing, and wanted to know! And they is one really special element that I won't discuss because it is too delicious to experience it while reading the story. Thank you, Diana! Keep filling in the niches of the story as the opportunities arise!
Mary
I had forgotten how much I loved the Outlander books, but this one made it all come back. Just wish it had been longer!
Shron
Holy $&*# Mother of mercy... I almost ripped my loved one's larynx out to keep him from obliterating the emotion I was realizing as I finished the last few pages of this novella.
I somehow decided to read it before Echo and I am so glad I did! I have been waiting for MOBY and been reading my beloved Lord John's adventures (which if you have not you effing Must!!) and decided why not indulge in the shorts to keep myself patient...
All I can say is wow... I don't read these books as a romance
Maryse
If you've read anything about the author you know that she writes as an exercise. And this is what this felt like to me. It was an interesting turn and I enjoyed finding out more about roger's parents but it felt thrown together and unfinished and i found myself not caring at all about the characters.
Teresa
I wanted it to be longer. It was an interesting peek into Roger's family, but his father's reactions to everything that happened were unusually absent for a DG book.
Lori McD
This little gem of a story ALWAYS brings tears to my eyes! It's such a lovely, bittersweet, unexpected story! Diana G fills it with characters we know or have only heard about - both past and present in the Outlander series.

This is the story of Roger's parents, Jerry (Jeremy) and Dolly (Marjorie) Mackenzie and WWII... Jerry is a Spitfire pilot, approached by none other than Frank Randall (yes, Claire's 1st husband) to fly on a photo mission in Poland. But while practicing with the new cameras, J
Dar
Loved this little novella. Gave just enough information without giving too much. Have to go back now, though, and re-read An Echo in the Bone, since it's been so long ago I read it. This novella reminds me what it is I love about Gabaldon books - they make me feel like I'm there watching everything and they make me feel what the characters are feeling. I also love all the research that goes into each book. Can't wait for the In My Own Heart's Blood.
Jan
What a great read. Diana Gabaldon's style puts you right into the story and makes you want to curl up and stay. Her books are usually so long that I need to dedicate a significant amount of time to read them (worth it but still requires planning). This one was short and poignant.
KyneWynn
Frankly, I was disappointed. . . I loved the initial Outlander book, and the story line, but this novella, while answering the question of what happened to Roger's parents, left me feeling, meh.
Tracy Winger
It just wasn't long enough to get all the information I think it should have had. While you assume Dolly also passed there could have been much more detail.
Brittany
I read Diana Gabaldon's "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallow's Eve" in the anthology Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love. This was the story I bought the book for, the one I couldn't wait to read, because Gabaldon promised it was about Roger's parents. I was disappointed to find it last in the book, but deteremined to read the darn book in order. Now I'm glad I did, because everything else (even the really good ones) would be a disappointment after Gabaldon's story whic ...more
Mary
If you were burning to know what happened to Roger's parents, then here is your answer! If you weren't even slightly curious, well, what the hell, you've already read 5000+ pages from the Outlander universe, another 55 won't hurt!

So, in 55 pages there is not really enough time to get to know the characters or become involved in the storyline. But! It's short. It's only 55 pages. Did I mention it's short? Worth the hour or so to read because it adds a little time-travel twistiness to events from
Toby Neal
Oh my. This little slice of a novella reminded me how much I love Gabaldon. What a wordsmith she is, what vivid portraiture in the details! For me as a writer, it reminded me to slow down--even through action packed, some of the best scenes are the tender ones--the young parents' love in the chill early morning before his ill-fated departure.
She is an atmospheric and relationship master. My only complaint is that it was too short.
Carrie
This particular novella tells the story of what really happened to Roger McKenzie's parents. He always believed his father died in Europe on a mission during the war and that his mother died in a Blitz attack. The way his mother died is accurate, but not so much his father.

Jerry was chosen to participate in a secret mission to obtain photographs of labour camps in Poland. He was training in Northumbria with camera attached to his plane when due to a malfunction the plane crashes...right near a c
Rebecca
Only thing that saved it from a 1 was the fact I wanted to know this story. BUT it should not have been a Novella.

A Novella is about a 30 page, self-contained story with a moral message (almost did my thesis on this topic before I changed from Classics).

This is a part of the ever-changing series.

It should not have been a separate purchase. Certainly, libraries don't buy these. Or companion books.

Certainly, I am annoyed after Echo in the Bone - with the obvious 'cliffhanger' -- every other book
Kelly
I love the Outlander Series but this short story didn't do much for me. To be fair, I'm not a short story person and I need a lot more time with characters before I become invested in them. I liked a couple bits but skimmed most of it to be honest.
Carolyn F.
A must read before the next book comes out. It's startling how random events aren't that random. I loved the ending.
Matt
A decent bridge novella that Gabaldon uses to tie up loose ends she leaves in her Outlander series. What did happen to Roger's parents those many years ago and how does it relate to the 'scattered stones'? A quick tale that readers of the series will surely enjoy and have at least one 'aha!' moment.

I always enjoy Gabaldon, which may seem odd for a man. Her historical series entertains and delights, even with its steamy parts. I await the next full-length novel and its many story lines that weave
Tara Kelly
This was a quick, good read
D
May 07, 2013 D rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: outlander fans
To be honest, I never really thought about the back/side story of Roger (McKenzie)Wakefield's parents. But this novella returned me to the world of the Frasiers, McKenzies and the standing stones. I enjoyed it and loved the twists that bring people together you would never guess at meeting. Bought this book from audible as a travel/audio. Was glad for the distraction and enjoyed the narrator. Not as chocolate voiced as my favorite one, but the accent made up for it.
Wendy
I really enjoyed it, but it was a bit short and I have to say I was hoping for a better ending.....I honestly dont understand the point of it since it doesn't really change anything. I was really hoping to see Jerry again maybe in book 8.....that would have been something! the only thing I got from this story was that the time travel gene was passed on from father to son.....which we already know happens because of Claire and Brianna.....still a nice quick read
Shelley
A wonderful (and sad) novella that is another great historic treasure from Diana Gabaldon. In 50 or so pages, I journeyed into WWII plane maneuvers, London bombings and the standing stones of Northumberland, and it was all so real - could practically smell the air and see their faces. I enjoyed this story, even knowing how things turn out for Roger. His family is lovely, and I am so glad I got to learn more about the love and tragedy that his parents shared.
V.L. Locey
I gave this a four, but in actuality it was more of a 3.5. As always, Ms. Gabaldon gives us a very detailed and factual story, but I found myself wondering if we needed to have a novella for this little snippet about Roger`s parents. It could have easily been woven into one of the main books it seems to me. Overall it was a fast, pleasant read, steeped with the historical details that DG is famous for. A nice filler for rabid fans of the Outlander series.
Jane
Where I got the book: purchased on Kindle.

A nice, inventive novella in Gabaldon's usual lively style. Oh, the mess we get into when we have the ability to time travel! There really wasn't time to get to know the characters, but consider that loose thread tied off and if you're looking to fill a couple of hours, you can do worse than grab this bargain.

Carol
It has been so long since I read the last book, I was a little lost at first. But soon it it all came back to me. The first part about the war was a bit boring to me, but an important part nonetheless. Just when it was getting really good...BAM, the end. Can't wait for the next book!
  • Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • Footsteps in Time (After Cilmeri #1)
  • The Ruby Brooch
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love (Kushiel's Legacy #1.5; Phèdre's Trilogy, #1.5; The Dresden Files, #11.5; Outlander, #8.5)
  • The Legend of Lady Maclaoch
  • Island of the Swans
  • Going Back for Romeo
  • Mariana
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Silent Night (Lady Julia, #5.5)
  • Freedom's Sword
  • A Rip in the Veil (The Graham Saga #1)
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Voyager (Outlander, #3) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)

“bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” 0 likes