Battle Station (Star Force, #5)

Battle Station (Star Force #5)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,090 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In BATTLE STATION Kyle Riggs faces new challenges, new alien fleets and learns the secrets behind the war he has been fighting for years.

In the fifth book of the Star Force Series, the Eden system is in humanity's grasp, but can they keep it? Star Force is weak after a long war, and many yearn to go home. Knowing the machines will return with a new armada eventually, Riggs...more
Published May 2nd 2012

Jim
The previous books in this series have been all out war. War with the Macros, who are machines bent on eradicating all biotic life. They have found Earth but one guy, Kyle Riggs, an "enhanced" human who has overcome serious run-ins with Macros now leads the Earth Marine Force and Fleet to track down and destroy the Macros. He does that with a vengeance in the previous four books.

Now in this book, he begins a much needed consolidation of his forces in one of his liberated galaxies. He's got some...more
C G Bronson
I have read all of the Star Force novels up to date (Swarm, Extinction, Rebellion, and Conquest). This is the fifth book in the series. I have to say it is apparent that this one was not given the same effort as prior novels.

Larson is frequently criticized for moving too fast. He doesn't take a lot of time to setup a satisfying background story or develop characters. Another minor criticism is that his story and character progression are too unbelievable to be taken seriously. I will talk in a l...more
Julian
Oct 23, 2012 Julian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Another B.V. Larson book I totally demolished in a little over a day. I just can't get enough of these books. I know they will eventually have to end when earth wins more and more battles and gains more production ability to finally defeat these robotic foes, but I really don't want it to end. My greed is total! (sorry Mr Larson). I love the battles, the disputes between fleet and marines, the characters... I could go on and on. Military scifi is really taking over as the dominant scifi sub-genr...more
Thomas Umstattd
I read most of these back to back. So it is hard for me to review them all individually. If you've gotten this far you will love this one and move right on to the next.
Alexander Bradley
B.V Larson is becoming one of my favorite authors of all time. He has such an imagination that its unbelievable.

So onto the book. Another great Rigs Pigs tale about being undermanned, under-gunned and still coming out on top with a few scars to show for it. Admittedly the battle station only shows up at the end but the stories still fantastic with great pacing that few writers have mastered. I can read this series and not even think about how far I am in the book cus I don't want to know. I neve...more
Roy
Rapidly approaching boringness.

It was a mistake to try to chain-smoke these. They're just too repetitive and shallow.

I need a break from cheesy over-the-top space action.
Zhifei Ge
The fifth book of the Star Force is not really appealing, especially after the thrilling fourth book. In this book, the Blue is starting to be demystified, and the combat between the Star Force and the Macro is fading. But on either thing, the author doesn't seem provide anything really creative. I'm going to read the next book anyway, but I hope it's turning back to the right direction.
Jason

This is a great book series that covers such a wide range of topics and human problems that it is hard to categorize it clearly at times. It is definitely sci if, and space combat. But probably not as much combat as most military sci fi books. I actually love Marvin, a little deranged robot who is always going slightly off his assigned tasks because he is just so curious.
Arthur
Of all the series B.V. Larson writes, I find this one the most interesting overall. I do wish the hero was a bit more realistic at times, however. I keep imagining him wearing a cape with a big red 'S' on it. Definitely requires more suspension of disbelief than I like sometimes. Nonetheless, the series is interesting and I want to read more.
Diane
4.5

This series is SO much fun. It's got action, suspense, and lots of robot alien arse-kicking. At any point, I find myself laughing, pumping my fists, or biting my knuckles. If you want a straightforward fun, thrilling, military sci-fi, then dive in and experience Kyle Rigg's intergalactic, heroic, and sometimes insane shenanigans.
Rex
This is one of the best series out there if you like Military SF. Totally addictive read! I started reading the book around 11pm on a Saturday night and it was 4am Sunday morning before I could tear myself away from the book. I read roughly 200 pages in that one sitting.
Maciek
The 5th book of Star Force series is still a great read. This time we get more info on the original plot and deal more with biotics, not just machines. There's still a big military theater of war in a star system, one-man engineering ideas, old and new aliens.
Hugh Long
I love Larson's Swarm series, and based on these, I feel he's one of the best storytellers in writing today.

Battle stations is loaded with lots of good Macro vs. Human vs. Nano battles, plus a new species!

I can't wait for the next instalment!
Fust

Not the best in the series but enjoyed it never the less. Interesting that it was named Battle Station. The BS only appeared at the verged and played no real role in the story...maybe next timer?.
Will
Not quite sure why it was named Battle Station. Anyway, was as entertaining as any of the others in the series. Not the best, maybe the worst, maybe not.
Bjorn Naessens

While not the best book in the series, still loving kyle rigg's adventures. can't wait for next one
Sherflei
Fun, fast-paced, preposterous military Sci Fi.
Mathew
I love this series.
Earl Settle
Great series!!
Moisés Zamorano
Moisés Zamorano marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Valkyrie Rising
  • Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • Guardian (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #3)
  • The Cost of Victory
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown, #5)
Brian Larson is an American science fiction and fantasy author
More about B.V. Larson...
Swarm (Star Force, #1) Extinction (Star Force, #2) Rebellion (Star Force, #3) Conquest (Star Force, #4) Empire (Star Force, #6)

“What programmer didn’t live with a deadline over his head?” 1 likes