Start by marking “Though the Bud Be Bruised” as Want to Read:
Though the Bud Be Bruised

Though the Bud Be Bruised

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Can one little note, read at midnight, really trigger a chain of events that could shake the very foundation of Zara Heymer's life? Can she even grasp the horror of what has happened within her family? The shock of discovering that evil, cleverly disguised, has penetrated her home and her church has left Zara reeling. Feeling a total failure, she looks for a way to resign ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Wombat books

To ask other readers questions about Though the Bud Be Bruised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Though the Bud Be Bruised

Kathryn
This was a heartbreaking read dealing with issues of sexual abuse by a trusted family friend and the fallout - for the girls who were involved, for the parents and families, for the other friends of the family who were caught between the families of the victims and the perpetrator trying to decide how best to support each family.

It is difficult to fully comprehend how abuse can affect someone’s life so completely, but this book does give some insight.

The writing of the story itself could have be
Andrea Grigg
Oct 23, 2012 Andrea Grigg rated it really liked it
Shelves: faction
Not for the faint-hearted! A very thought-provoking and honest account of how abuse can affect not just a victim, but their whole family and a community. Really enjoyed it.
Michelle
May 27, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! Though the Bud Be Bruised was the most heart breaking, gut wrenching book I've ever read. As the story unfolded, I read through squinted eyes because I didn't want to know the painful details. Thankfully, Jo Wanmer has written this book in such a charming way, that my mind was not bombarded with visual images I’d rather not see. Jo has written a real life story in a fictional frame. This book is a faction.

I admit, I had to put the book down not once, but twice because though comp
Mazzy Adams
Jan 11, 2016 Mazzy Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very glad I read 'Though the Bud Be Bruised'. It's a rare and honest reflection of truth in fictional format as Jo Wanmer tells the story of the brutal fallout resulting from sexual and spiritual abuse and a family's arduous journey struggling under an enormous weight of grief towards a seemingly elusive hope.

No two journeys through despair and grief are exactly alike, but I have to say the raw honesty of both Zara and Issy's experiences as related by Jo Wanmer resonated with my own. Given
Kayleen West
Dec 31, 2012 Kayleen West rated it it was amazing
A powerful rescue story! This book is based on a shocking true story of a couple’s resolute love for their daughter against the most heart wrenching attack on their family. Isobel’s violent abuse explodes into years of drama none could have imagined possible.

As a reader the events blew my mind and broke my heart but the victory was exhilarating! I loved the raw and honest fight with Zara’s faith walk. There are no words adequate enough to endorse this amazing book. Jo Wanmer’s courage has inspir
Paula Vince
What I appreciate most about this book was the honest, raw Christianity. Not an easy read but certainly unforgettable.
Carol Preston
Jul 25, 2012 Carol Preston rated it it was amazing
Very powerful and moving story of the devastation sexual abuse and betrayal can cause in a family.
Adele Jones
Nov 06, 2014 Adele Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the Bud be Bruised is the factional (fiction based on a true story) account of Zara Heymer, a mother struggling with her Christian faith and life in the fallout of her young daughter’s severe sexual abuse. Raw and confronting, this book will be an uneasy read for anyone who has in any part witnessed the consequences of paedophilia. Further, through Zara’s grappling with life, some common reactions of Christian establishments and their members to such offenses are challenged. By contrastin ...more
Omega Writers
Jun 02, 2014 Omega Writers rated it really liked it
Three reviews from our CALEB reviewers:

Four and a half stars.

(1)
Though the Bud be Bruised by Jo Wanmer is really two books for the price of one. One book is the fictionalised account of a real life tragedy of the molestation of thirteen year old Issy. The other book woven throughout the pages is the personal and often painful account of the spiritual journey and transformation of Issy’s mother Zara. Zara, over a period of years changes from a religious, church going involved person to a more dee
Amanda Deed
Sep 12, 2012 Amanda Deed rated it it was amazing
From reading other reviews, I knew I was in for a powerful read with Though the Bud be Bruised. I didn't know that it would become one of my top reads so far this year. The fact that this story was based on true events had me gasping many times. I'm sure I groaned 'oh my goodness' on several occasions, and I know my hubby heard me sniffing from another room and said, 'don't cry, baby.'

Though the content is confronting, dealing with issues that most people like to keep hidden, it is actually fill
Rose Dee
Jul 09, 2012 Rose Dee rated it really liked it
Not the easiest book to read due to the emotional content - but well worth it.
Adam Collings
Jul 06, 2012 Adam Collings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, australian
This was a powerful and thought-provoking book. The main theme is sexual abuse, but the book covered so many other themes as well. One that really made me think was the idea of praying God's will rather than our own.

The book is fiction but based on real life events. Jo Wanmer has taken a very painful life experience and turned it into a compelling novel.

The characters lived and breathed in a realistic way. I really felt the emotions of the protagonist.

As a father, I have been challenged to think
Lynne Stringer
Feb 02, 2016 Lynne Stringer rated it it was amazing
Well written and confronting novel based on a true story. Though the Bud be Bruised is not for the faint-hearted, and may be an especially difficult read for those who have experienced sexual abuse. However, it is a deep, thoughtful and ultimately hopeful story.
Ruth Bonetti
Mar 15, 2014 Ruth Bonetti rated it really liked it
This is a fictionalised version of a true story; the challenging topic of abuse is handled with honesty yet sensitivity. It reveals the damage not just to the victim but of their family and extended friendships. A must-read for any who have experienced abuse, especially those involved with church fellowships.
Mary Hawkins
Mar 23, 2014 Mary Hawkins rated it really liked it
This novel takes us to "places" in a Christian family's life that are very painful and yet a must read for Christians actively involved in their local church.
Nicki Edwards
“Can one little note, read at midnight, really trigger a chain of events that could shake the very foundation of Zara Heymer’s life? Can she even grasp the horror of what has happened within her family? The shock of discovering that evil, cleverly disguised, has penetrated her home and her church has left Zara reeling. Feeling a total failure, she looks for a way to resign as a mother; a way to stop this nightmare. But her daughter, Issy, desperately needs a good mother as she attempts to face l ...more
Charis Jackson
May 01, 2016 Charis Jackson rated it really liked it
While I initially found it hard to engage with the characters, I was soon swept up in a story so unbelievable it had to be true.

If you find yourself going through a difficult season and you're questioning yourself on where God is amidst the pain and hardship. Read this book and let it refresh you.

Jo you are a courageous woman to write this compelling story. I found myself deeply touched by Zara and Sam and their incredible and enduring love.

Anne Hamilton
The true impact of this book comes home when it's clear the story is simply a lightly fictionalised account of true life events. And because it is based so firmly in real situations, some incidents remain veiled to protect both the innocent - and the guilty.

A powerful sense of betrayal pervades the unfolding drama as Zara discovers her daughter has been abused by a trusted family friend. No easy answers are delivered here in a story that moves from simple to complex - Zara begins to wonder if h
Bethany
Jul 18, 2012 Bethany rated it did not like it
This book was okay, but I didn't really enjoy it. It's for a mature audience since there are some things that come up that are probably best read by older people.
Jessica Everingham
Jun 27, 2014 Jessica Everingham rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking circumstances, powerful story, good writing. Made all the more impressive because it's based on a true story.
Kathleen Hillenberg
Jan 12, 2016 Kathleen Hillenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-reads
This book had a huge impact on me. It was heart wrenching and unforgettable. The honesty of the mother's journey through this unique challenge and the thoughtful way that the story is told makes this book such a good reflection on the depths of hurt abuse causes and the long road back. Can't recommend this book highly enough. Not an easy read because of the subject of the story but so well written and so authentic.
Crystal Green
Nov 03, 2012 Crystal Green rated it liked it
You can read my review of this book on my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com. (Click on link that states book reviews.)
Esthee
Esthee rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Alison G.
Alison G. marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Tori
Tori is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015