Though the Bud Be Bruised

Though the Bud Be Bruised

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Can one little note, read at midnight, really trigger a chain of events that could shake the very foundation of Zara Heymer's life? Can she even grasp the horror of what has happened within her family? The shock of discovering that evil, cleverly disguised, has penetrated her home and her church has left Zara reeling. Feeling a total failure, she looks for a way to resign...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Wombat books

Michelle
Oh my goodness! Though the Bud Be Bruised was the most heart breaking, gut wrenching book I've ever read. As the story unfolded, I read through squinted eyes because I didn't want to know the painful details. Thankfully, Jo Wanmer has written this book in such a charming way, that my mind was not bombarded with visual images I’d rather not see. Jo has written a real life story in a fictional frame. This book is a faction.

I admit, I had to put the book down not once, but twice because though comp...more
Andrea Grigg
Not for the faint-hearted! A very thought-provoking and honest account of how abuse can affect not just a victim, but their whole family and a community. Really enjoyed it.
Omega Writers
Two reviews from our CALEB reviewers:

Four and a half stars.

(1)
Though the Bud be Bruised by Jo Wanmer is really two books for the price of one. One book is the fictionalised account of a real life tragedy of the molestation of thirteen year old Issy. The other book woven throughout the pages is the personal and often painful account of the spiritual journey and transformation of Issy’s mother Zara. Zara, over a period of years changes from a religious, church going involved person to a more deepl...more
Kayleen West
A powerful rescue story! This book is based on a shocking true story of a couple’s resolute love for their daughter against the most heart wrenching attack on their family. Isobel’s violent abuse explodes into years of drama none could have imagined possible.

As a reader the events blew my mind and broke my heart but the victory was exhilarating! I loved the raw and honest fight with Zara’s faith walk. There are no words adequate enough to endorse this amazing book. Jo Wanmer’s courage has inspir...more
Carol Preston
Very powerful and moving story of the devastation sexual abuse and betrayal can cause in a family.
Amanda Deed
From reading other reviews, I knew I was in for a powerful read with Though the Bud be Bruised. I didn't know that it would become one of my top reads so far this year. The fact that this story was based on true events had me gasping many times. I'm sure I groaned 'oh my goodness' on several occasions, and I know my hubby heard me sniffing from another room and said, 'don't cry, baby.'

Though the content is confronting, dealing with issues that most people like to keep hidden, it is actually fill...more
Liisi Carr
Details: Issue needed to tell her mom something very important but with house guests how would her busy mother make the time? She can't, she wouldn't, and won't. When Zara reads her daughter's letter she is segregated. Why didn't she see this? Why didn't she know before? Why has she failed at the one thing she has wanted her whole life? Why did this happen to her daughter, to her family? When will it stop? Does God even care about what is happening? Why didn't. He protect her Issue? As bad becom...more
Adam Collings
This was a powerful and thought-provoking book. The main theme is sexual abuse, but the book covered so many other themes as well. One that really made me think was the idea of praying God's will rather than our own.

The book is fiction but based on real life events. Jo Wanmer has taken a very painful life experience and turned it into a compelling novel.

The characters lived and breathed in a realistic way. I really felt the emotions of the protagonist.

As a father, I have been challenged to think...more
Paula Vince
What I appreciate most about this book was the honest, raw Christianity. Not an easy read but certainly unforgettable.
Rose Dee
Not the easiest book to read due to the emotional content - but well worth it.
Corallie Buchanan
One word I can say and that would be INCREDIBLE!

This book falls under the category of "Faction", which is really a fiction story based strongly on real-life events of the author. I blush to admit I read this book in just over 24 hours. I am an avid reader, so when I do that, the book is REALLY good!

The story centres around the lives of three central characters. Sam and Zara (parents) and Isobel (or "Issy" as she is more commonly referred to). When it is discovered that a close family friend name...more
Ruth Bonetti
This is a fictionalised version of a true story; the challenging topic of abuse is handled with honesty yet sensitivity. It reveals the damage not just to the victim but of their family and extended friendships. A must-read for any who have experienced abuse, especially those involved with church fellowships.
Mary Hawkins
This novel takes us to "places" in a Christian family's life that are very painful and yet a must read for Christians actively involved in their local church.
Bethany
This book was okay, but I didn't really enjoy it. It's for a mature audience since there are some things that come up that are probably best read by older people.
Crystal Green
You can read my review of this book on my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com. (Click on link that states book reviews.)
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Raechel
Raechel marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Dawni
Dawni marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Jeanette Burchaski
Jeanette Burchaski marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013