Start by marking “In the Sierra: Mountain Writings” as Want to Read:
In the Sierra: Mountain Writings

In the Sierra: Mountain Writings

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Nature writings by one of America’s greatest poets, written out of a deep experience of the Sierras.

Over the course of his life, Kenneth Rexroth wrote about the Sierra Nevada better than anyone. Progressive in terms of environmental ethics and comparable to the writings of Emerson, Thoreau, Aldo Leopard, Annie Dillard, and Gary Snyder, Rexroth’s poetry and prose described
Published April 10th 2012 by New Directions (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about In the Sierra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Sierra

Craig Werner
I went into this anthology with a very positive attitude toward Rexroth who served as an elder for Gary Snyder and a generation of western writers committed to poetry and ecology. While I wasn't disappointed, I also wasn't blown away. As a poet, Rexroth moves from an allusion-heavy high modernist style (think Robert Graves or a less-formally obsessed Auden) to a clear-eyed nature poetry that develops alongside Snyder's. Basically an example of the student teaching the teacher. In addition to the ...more
Chris
I liked this book, in part because it brought me back to my favorite mountains....Rexroth is best when he is in his descriptive mode, not so good when he is lecturing us on politics and philosophy. Then, he comes across as pedantic. However, "Toward and Organic Philosophy" remains one of my favorite poems of all time; "Andree Rexroth" (the one that begins "The years have gone") is not too far behind.
Marty Nicholas
Rexroth's "100 Poems..." books have been treasures for 40+ years. That we had rambled over the same passes and shared the same vistas in the Sierra came as a surprise and joy. (Albeit a melancholy one for good times past.) For those interested in the Sierra, good wilderness poetry and thoughtful meditation, read this book.
Silvia Cassano
This is a great compilation of poems. Robinson does a great job trying to see where Rexroth may have been in writing these poems. I also enjoyed the letters of correspondence between Rexroth and his adventure companions. I learned more about Rexroth from this book.
Cathy
this is a great California poet I had entirely missed. If you like Poetry at all, read him. this volume is about the Sierra but he also wrote about social change, love and sex, and was one of the fathers of the San Francisco beat generation.
Lynn Cullivan
Great collection of poems for anyone who has spent time in the Sierras. In my younger days, I took Leaves of Grass along on a motorcycle trip. The next time I make it up into the mountains, this one gets tossed into the pack.
Jonsie Miltz
Jonsie Miltz marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Dean Marais
Dean Marais is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jenny H
Jenny H is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
tout
tout marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jason Lester
Jason Lester marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Brigitte Driller
Brigitte Driller marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Emily Miller
Emily Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Markida
Markida marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Sofie Meneve
Sofie Meneve marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Kenneth Rexroth was an American poet, translator and critical essayist. He was among the first poets in the United States to explore traditional Japanese poetic forms such as haiku. He is regarded as a chief figure in the San Francisco Renaissance.
More about Kenneth Rexroth...
100 Poems from the Japanese One Hundred Poems from the Chinese The Complete Poems The Collected Shorter Poems of Kenneth Rexroth One Hundred More Poems from the Japanese