Start by marking “Making the Grade” as Want to Read:
Making the Grade
Read Book

Making the Grade

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Rookie detective Shannon Lynch is assigned to a major case with two men who seem to resent her having been promoted. Then her past catches up to her in a way she could never have predicted. Is she tough enough to overcome a killer who’s out for revenge as well as colleagues who aren’t sure she can be trusted?
Published May 1st 2012 by Expendable Man Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Making the Grade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Grade

May 04, 2012 Peter added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author. So I'm not rating my own book, but I welcome ratings and reviews by anyone who likes a good read. This is a 50,000 word police procedural that takes place prior to 9/11. Remember the days before IPhones and IPads? Remember when women still had to prove themselves on traditional male jobs? Then you'll probably dig Shannon Lynch's story as she tries to make the grade.
Terri Lynn
Another great offering by Peter Pollak. I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I just read his first book The Expendable Man by Peter G. Pollak and loved it and now have read this one as fast as I could because I couldn't make myself put it down.

Albany, NY police detective Shannon Lynch has just become the first female detective in Albany. The unwelcome mat is put out for her by the other cops and even the secretary in the detective bureau. She is also put on a murder investigation after a high-powe
Raymond Mathiesen
Dec 09, 2012 Raymond Mathiesen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crime/police/murder fiction lovers
Recommended to Raymond by: a friend
Tough Police And Serious Criminals

Ever wondered what it is like to be a rooky police detective? What if you were the first woman detective on staff? What if your first case was a no breaks murder by a bona fide psychopath? Shannon Lynch is on her first day of duty as a detective and she immediately feels that her new workmates don’t really trust her and won't until she proves herself. She knows this is a serious job and she is determined to meet the standards. Her new boss, Lieutenant Keller, sa
Sandra Lopez
It is the first day on the job for rookie detective Shannon Lynch, and her first case is…the murder of a rape victim.

Of course, Shannon is not being taken seriously by the other guys, although she didn’t exactly get treated badly by them either. She didn’t get hassled with male, chauvinistic attitude. I think that would’ve made it more authentic. Still, with everyone treating her like a 12-year old girl, I looked forward to her proving to these guys that she could do it. You root for Shannon ev
I enjoyed reading this book. I hope Shannon Lynch will become a series. However, I found that it was unrealistic that the detectives worked regular hours following a murder. My cousin is a detective with the local police force and they work 23/7 following a murder until either the murder is captured or the leads are gone. Other than that plotwise I was kept guessing who the murderer really was until near the end.
Sarah Bauman
While I have not read Peter's first book, this book was great!!! I would love to see a follow up book to this one. The Shannon Lynch character was awesome!!! I had a hard time putting the book down. So please go check this book out. A definite must read.
May 13, 2012 Peter added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The is the paperback edition of Making the Grade. I don't rate my own books, but encourage readers to do so.
Joanne marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Ronna marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Aishe marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Lisa Vegan
Lisa Vegan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Oberlin Alumni
Oberlin Alumni marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Maritess Obar
Maritess Obar marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Karen Shields
Karen Shields marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Sachi Kawahara
Sachi Kawahara is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2012
Jan added it
Jul 18, 2012
Chan is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2012
Beans8 marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Katrina Roche
Katrina Roche is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2012
Ice is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm passionate about writing stories that readers don't want to put down.

My fifth novel, a thriller entitled House Divided, was released in February 2015. Some people think it's my best yet.

If you read all five, I'd like to hear which one you think is the best and why.

My first four are The Expendable Man (2011)--a thriller, two mysteries--Making the Grade (2012) and In the Game (2013), and a sus
More about Peter G. Pollak...
House Divided The Expendable Man In the Game Last Stop on Desolation Ridge