Start by marking “Making the Grade” as Want to Read:
Making the Grade

Read Book

Making the Grade

Rookie detective Shannon Lynch is assigned to a major case with two men who seem to resent her having been promoted. Then her past catches up to her in a way she could never have predicted. Is she tough enough to overcome a killer who’s out for revenge as well as colleagues who aren’t sure she can be trusted?
Published May 1st 2012 by Expendable Man Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Making the Grade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making the Grade

Peter
May 04, 2012 Peter added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author. So I'm not rating my own book, but I welcome ratings and reviews by anyone who likes a good read. This is a 50,000 word police procedural that takes place prior to 9/11. Remember the days before IPhones and IPads? Remember when women still had to prove themselves on traditional male jobs? Then you'll probably dig Shannon Lynch's story as she tries to make the grade.
Raymond Mathiesen
Dec 09, 2012 Raymond Mathiesen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime/police/murder fiction lovers
Recommended to Raymond by: a friend
Tough Police And Serious Criminals

Ever wondered what it is like to be a rooky police detective? What if you were the first woman detective on staff? What if your first case was a no breaks murder by a bona fide psychopath? Shannon Lynch is on her first day of duty as a detective and she immediately feels that her new workmates don’t really trust her and won't until she proves herself. She knows this is a serious job and she is determined to meet the standards. Her new boss, Lieutenant Keller, sa
Terri Lynn
Jul 13, 2013 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
Another great offering by Peter Pollak. I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I just read his first book The Expendable Man by Peter G. Pollak and loved it and now have read this one as fast as I could because I couldn't make myself put it down.

Albany, NY police detective Shannon Lynch has just become the first female detective in Albany. The unwelcome mat is put out for her by the other cops and even the secretary in the detective bureau. She is also put on a murder investigation after a high-powe
Theresa
Jul 09, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I hope Shannon Lynch will become a series. However, I found that it was unrealistic that the detectives worked regular hours following a murder. My cousin is a detective with the local police force and they work 23/7 following a murder until either the murder is captured or the leads are gone. Other than that plotwise I was kept guessing who the murderer really was until near the end.
Sarah Bauman
Jul 05, 2012 Sarah Bauman rated it it was amazing
While I have not read Peter's first book, this book was great!!! I would love to see a follow up book to this one. The Shannon Lynch character was awesome!!! I had a hard time putting the book down. So please go check this book out. A definite must read.
Sandra Lopez
Apr 22, 2014 Sandra Lopez rated it liked it
It is the first day on the job for rookie detective Shannon Lynch, and her first case is…the murder of a rape victim.

Of course, Shannon is not being taken seriously by the other guys, although she didn’t exactly get treated badly by them either. She didn’t get hassled with male, chauvinistic attitude. I think that would’ve made it more authentic. Still, with everyone treating her like a 12-year old girl, I looked forward to her proving to these guys that she could do it. You root for Shannon ev
Eileen Haavik McIntire
Feb 05, 2016 Eileen Haavik McIntire rated it really liked it
Shannon Lynch, newly promoted as Albany’s first female detective, plays a tough game against the hostility of her two male partners as they tackle a major murder case. This was a book hard to put down from page 1. We feel Shannon’s earnest drive to succeed and fear that she’ll fail, then she makes a mistake that costs her the trust of her colleagues. As they track down the suspect, Shannon finds herself the target of his sadistic homicidal intentions. A page turner to the end.
Peter
May 13, 2012 Peter added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The is the paperback edition of Making the Grade. I don't rate my own books, but encourage readers to do so.
Karen L.
Karen L. rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Mary Steiner
Mary Steiner rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2014
Diana Febry
Diana Febry rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Tom Costello
Tom Costello marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
Sandy Hunter
Sandy Hunter marked it as to-read
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Amanda Chalifoux
Amanda Chalifoux marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Melina
Melina marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2012
Marie-Anne
Marie-Anne marked it as to-read
Cyndie
Cyndie marked it as to-read
Karen Rae
Karen Rae marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2012
Tami Montano
Tami Montano marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Daniel Sitter
Daniel Sitter marked it as to-read
Tiffany Thordal
Tiffany Thordal marked it as to-read
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Alysa Morley
Alysa Morley marked it as to-read
Judie Dooley
Judie Dooley marked it as to-read
Kristen N.
Kristen N. marked it as to-read
Karyn
Karyn marked it as to-read
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Carlee
Carlee marked it as to-read
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2012
I'm passionate about writing stories that readers don't want to put down.

My fifth novel, a thriller entitled House Divided, was released in February 2015. Some people think it's my best yet.

If you read all five, I'd like to hear which one you think is the best and why.

My first four are The Expendable Man (2011)--a thriller, two mysteries--Making the Grade (2012) and In the Game (2013), and a sus
More about Peter G. Pollak...

“Did you know a woman by the name of Gloria D’Angelo?” Joiner asked.” 1 likes